Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #51
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I love Shani Davis. A black speed-skater...who'd have thunk it!

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #52
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm sure you were joking, but if i had to guess (and i haven't looked...i'm sure the info is out there), I'd guess it'd be Apollo Ohno carrying the U.S. flag.

Lindsay Vonn?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
well now i looked and i was wrong

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Back in 1984, Mark Grimmette was startled to find bulldozers ripping into the side of his favorite sledding hill.
Turns out, a luge track was being built. Grimmette went out and helped the crew finish the job.

That was the first step along a path that would bring him to five Olympics as a doubles luge competitor, plus the honor of being the U.S. flagbearer for Friday night's opening ceremony of the Vancouver Games.

So is he the flying Grimmette?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sad story, a luger from the country of Georgia was killed in a training run this morning.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lugecrash.html

Quote:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia —

An Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation says a men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia has died after a crash during training. The official tells The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

An official statement is to be released soon.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled near the finish Friday, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Last edited by Lathum : 02-12-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #55
whomario
Pro Starter

why´d that asshole speak about it at all if the family hasn´t been notified yet? Anonimity my ass ...

Propably not exactly the important aspect here, but i felt like pointing it out...

Just this morning there had been a a quote by a german luger in the paper saying that the speed of the tracks has "definitely reached a critical point" ...

he was going at over 140 KPH, just to give an idea what extremes we are talking about...

Last edited by whomario : 02-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #56
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, the course seems way too fast based on what everyone is saying and I'm not sure why those poles weren't padded.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, the course seems way too fast based on what everyone is saying and I'm not sure why those poles weren't padded.

At 70+ MPH, I'm not sure that taking a header into a padded pole is going to make much difference. Sad situation.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #58
rowech
Pro Starter

There had already been comments about the luge track and there are many skiers from what I understand complaining about the speed of their courses. Sounds like some dangerous situations for a lot of people.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

The other problem from reading the articles is that the Canadians restricted the use of the tracks prior to the games for everyone but their own team. So people just don't have a lot of experience on it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #60
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I saw this; and the least they could do was put some nets or something there. Those poles are 3 foot off the course and when he hit it; it was like throwing someone against a wall.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #61
MikeVic
Head Coach

Great start to the Olympics.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I saw this; and the least they could do was put some nets or something there. Those poles are 3 foot off the course

Okay, that's just "duh".
Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #63
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Reading about the ex-luger, it seems the guy wasn't very good, was a far cry from being competitive, had crashed on this track before, and it could be argued that he had no place competing on a wolrd-class and very dangerous course.

That, and nets would have helped, too.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Reading about the ex-luger, it seems the guy wasn't very good, was a far cry from being competitive, had crashed on this track before, and it could be argued that he had no place competing on a wolrd-class and very dangerous course.

The gold-medal favorite crashed on the same course today, could have just as easily been him.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #65
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

YES, HE DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL!!
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #66
Senator

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #67
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

First of all, I didn't say the guy deserved to die, you asshat.

Secondly, I just watched the video and there is really no excuse for not having some kind of protective barrier between 80mph lugers and 0mph steel I-beams. That's a colossal design flaw.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #68
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Three feet? Those things look like they're three inches off the course.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #69
Rizon
Pro Starter

And ... there are a lot of those poles ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #70
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Great start to the Olympics.

They hadn't started yet...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Stay classy FOFC...

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-12-2010 at 06:13 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #72
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Three feet? Those things look like they're three inches off the course.

Better idea of the short distance.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #73
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I can only speak for myself, and say that this is the first time I've ever paid attention to pole-distance-from-luge-course, so far all I know this is the standard set-up, based on some sort of structural necessity.

....but man, that sure does look like an obviously bad idea.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #74
Senator

I think the minimum should be higher walls.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #75
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

OK, after seeing the pictures, I recant my previous statement. Those are a lot closer to the course than the original story I read seemed to indicate.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #76
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I can only speak for myself, and say that this is the first time I've ever paid attention to pole-distance-from-luge-course, so far all I know this is the standard set-up, based on some sort of structural necessity.

....but man, that sure does look like an obviously bad idea.

+1. I know nothing about this but at first glance looks like the kind of thing any health and safety department would take one look at and shut the entire operation down. Could be that it's just the most tragic fluke accident in the history of sport, they did everything right and just didn't think it was possible for somebody to hit it like that, but it just looks really bad right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #77
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think the minimum should be higher walls.

Someone asked that and they said they don't have higher walls because then the spectators can't see.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
+1. I know nothing about this but at first glance looks like the kind of thing any health and safety department would take one look at and shut the entire operation down.

Kind of what crossed my mind. Seeing those pictures, I wondered about the legal liability and what waivers the athletes are required to sign.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #79
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Someone asked that and they said they don't have higher walls because then the spectators can't see.

I am a simple man, but Plexiglas is see through.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #80
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The other problem from reading the articles is that the Canadians restricted the use of the tracks prior to the games for everyone but their own team. So people just don't have a lot of experience on it.

That bothers me for a variety of reasons.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #81
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am a simple man, but Plexiglas is see through.

That or nets. Like someone said earlier, it takes a death a lot of times before people ask whether something could be done a lot better than it is.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #82
Ryan S
Quarterback

Surely death is an occupational hazard with something as crazy as luge?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #83
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
That bothers me for a variety of reasons.

I don't know what's normally done, but I'd think this is just how Olympics function? Kind of like a home-field advantage?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #84
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I don't know what's normally done, but I'd think this is just how Olympics function? Kind of like a home-field advantage?

not sure, but i'd think not. it's not supposed to be about "home field advantage" it's supposed to be about "even playing field"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #85
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

how many more viewers will luge be getting this year now?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #86
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

look at the natives getting down to bryan adams and nellie furtado.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #87
kingfc22
Head Coach

All I have to say is that I hope NBC never does the olympics again. How do I live in the same freaking time zone as the games and yet I'm stuck watching tape delayed coverage. This is 2010!!! People have this cool "new" invention called DVR's. Maybe NBC hasn't heard of them yet. Show the games live and if people want to watch it they can or they can record it.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #88
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
All I have to say is that I hope NBC never does the olympics again. How do I live in the same freaking time zone as the games and yet I'm stuck watching tape delayed coverage. This is 2010!!! People have this cool "new" invention called DVR's. Maybe NBC hasn't heard of them yet. Show the games live and if people want to watch it they can or they can record it.

So it started at 8 Specific Time?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
All I have to say is that I hope NBC never does the olympics again.

You won't see much difference regardless of the network.

Quote:
People have this cool "new" invention called DVR's.

Currently present in roughly 30% of US TV households. And of the top 10 most prevalent (San Diego leads at 37.7%) only three are top ten market size (DAL, LA, SF).

Quote:
Show the games live and if people want to watch it they can or they can record it.

As the Wall Street Journal explains,
Quote:
Tape delay is a product of a dilemma facing NBC Universal, whose parent General Electric Co. says it expects to lose about $250 million on the Winter Olympics. It must maximize its audience in the evenings on NBC, without alienating it."
Many West Coast fans were livid when NBC delayed its West Coast feeds in 2008 for Beijing's Summer Games. But the network says West Coast cities posted better ratings than average, even with a delay. NBC figures that airing the games on a delay again will attract more viewers than if they aired when no one is home.

Alan Wurtzel, head of research at NBC Universal, says internal research shows that viewers would rather watch the Olympics on a time delay than have them air at an inconvenient hour. He says the "vast majority" of the Olympics will be aired live in prime time. Nielsen Co. says over three quarters of U.S. viewers live in the East Coast and Central time zones.

Plus, the proliferation of digital recording devices that has led to wide-spread "time shifting" hasn't yet reached the Olympics and other large-scale televised events, says Lisa Quan, director of audience analysis at Interpublic Group's media agency Magna. "It's still this shared experience that you know people are going to be talking about the next day."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-12-2010 at 10:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #90
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is all leading up to an 80' Wayne Gretzky, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #91
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This is all leading up to an 80' Wayne Gretzky, right?

SI

Or rather a 99' tall Wayne Gretzky

SI

Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #92
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have "Wayne Gretzky wearing Celine Dion's skin as a pelt" in the Olympic torch pool

SI

Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #93
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wow....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #94
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Whoops. Oh well. These things happen.

SI

Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #95
Tigercat
College Starter

Great one looked none too pleased to be left hanging on the mechanical difficulty.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #96
Tigercat
College Starter

Dola, ah, that's why, Gretzky had shit to do, has to light two cauldrons in one night.

Last edited by Tigercat : 02-12-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #97
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nice ceremony until the opera singer and then the lighting of the torch setback.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Gretzky looked the most uncomfortable. I imagine he's a bit of a perfectionist.

Steve Nash looked like "Sweet! I get to light the Olympic torch!" with a giant smile on his face.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-12-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #99
Thomkal
Head Coach

ah that's too bad they had the problem at the end. Thought it was a so-so Opening Ceremony. Really liked the computer generated floor stuff like the kid running through the prairies, but thought some stuff like the fiddling/tap dancing went on too long.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #100
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Nice ceremony until the opera singer and then the lighting of the torch setback.

It still looks good, even if it is missing the fourth piece.

Do they light that thing indoors the whole Olympic period?

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-12-2010 at 11:07 PM.