Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #301
digamma
Torchbearer

I don't think it's searching, Jon. It's front page of ESPN.com or Yahoo stuff. Or ESPN radio updates.

Admittedly, I have no idea how you quantify long term value depreciation here, particularly when you're seeing a short term ratings boost versus four years ago.

That said, on an anecdotal basis, I know of three folks who did not watch the coverage last night because they heard during the day how the downhill finished, an event most would probably rank in their top five for winter Olympic viewing.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #302
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- what a shot in the Norway-Canada match. He knocked out 3 Canadian stones in one hit, turning what looked really dangerous for them into a blank frame.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-16-2010 at 12:52 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
no commentary from you Jon about how NBC doesn't have a responsibility to show the Olympics in any particular way, but only to maximize shareholder value?

{shrug} I figured that went without saying I guess.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #304
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

US is in some trouble in curling. The breaks are going Germany's way.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #305
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You do realize that NBC is providing almost 850 hours of coverage across the various platforms? The most ever given by any US network to the winter games, and in the neighborhood of as much as the past two Winter Games combined. And that they did over 1,000 hours of coverage of sports virtually no one gives a damn about leading up to the Olympics?

Where / when is this 850 hours of coverage? Near as I can tell from my local guide, a fair chunk of it is Universal Sports, an SD simulcast digital station that is essentially an "ESPN-NEWS" for the Olympics, running updates on what already occurred rather than actually showing events. And they can brag about 850 hours all they want, when 6-8PM is showing only women's hockey on one channel, they aren't covering much.

Likely another large chunk will be making heavier use of CNBC once Men's hockey starts today, but we've just had so many events missed or juggled already.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I don't think it's searching, Jon. It's front page of ESPN.com or Yahoo stuff. Or ESPN radio updates.

I've been on every one of my usual sites today, same as normal. Including ESPN.com, 4 different newspaper sites, and my portal that aggregrates headlines.

I can tell you that Janikowski became the highest paid kicker, that Pat Summitt kicked a freshman PG out of practice yesterday (first player kicked out in three years), that Jair Jurjens is having an MRI done on his shoulder, that the Athens-Clarke County government is going to be asked to spend $54m in SPLOST money to enlarge the local convention facility, and that Fulton Co. GA has gotten a judge to approve them banning liquor sales in strip clubs. I've been on FOFC, I've been on Facebook, I've both emailed & called people relating to work. In short, my normal routine.

But as far as the Olympics go, other than knowing that some ski event was bumped due to weather again, I couldn't tell you jack. Well, that and there was some apparently spectacular shot in the Norway-Canada hockey matchup (although except for looking up the cable schedule earlier I wouldn't have known whether that referred to men's or women's hockey & I'm still not 100% sure even then).

How hard is it to miss this stuff again?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #307
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've been on every one of my usual sites today, same as normal. Including ESPN.com, 4 different newspaper sites, and my portal that aggregrates headlines.

I can tell you that Janikowski became the highest paid kicker, that Pat Summitt kicked a freshman PG out of practice yesterday (first player kicked out in three years), that Jair Jurjens is having an MRI done on his shoulder, that the Athens-Clarke County government is going to be asked to spend $54m in SPLOST money to enlarge the local convention facility, and that Fulton Co. GA has gotten a judge to approve them banning liquor sales in strip clubs. I've been on FOFC, I've been on Facebook, I've both emailed & called people relating to work. In short, my normal routine.

But as far as the Olympics go, other than knowing that some ski event was bumped due to weather again, I couldn't tell you jack. Well, that and there was some apparently spectacular shot in the Norway-Canada hockey matchup (although except for looking up the cable schedule earlier I wouldn't have known whether that referred to men's or women's hockey & I'm still not 100% sure even then).

How hard is it to miss this stuff again?

wasn't hard yesterday. probably aren't as many medal-events today
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #308
digamma
Torchbearer

Also, it's still morning out here.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #309
digamma
Torchbearer

The only events scheduled for this morning were the Curling prelim matches, the ski race which got postponed and a cross country race which is underway.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #310
digamma
Torchbearer

Triple freakin' dola...

The women's snowboard cross final is at 2:40 local time this afternoon. If Jacobellis wins that you, I bet you won't have to look far to find her glowing face on your normal web stops.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
If Jacobellis wins that you, I bet you won't have to look far to find her glowing face on your normal web stops.

Is she one of the blondes from the opening night interviews?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #312
digamma
Torchbearer

Likely. Curly hair, the one who busted while hotdogging it 4 years ago.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #313
Galaxy
Coordinator

US-Swiss set to drop the puck.

Does Norway have any NHL players?

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-16-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #314
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Does Norway have any NHL players?

Sort of. Ole-Kristian Tollefsen played for Columbus, moved to Philadelphia at the start of the season, and was just traded to Detroit a week or two ago. Detroit demoted him to their AHL club after the trade.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 02-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #315
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The curling action was pretty exciting today, particularly Canada-Norway. They went into extra innings (ends?) and Canada won on the hammer, sliding a stone past 3 Norwegian blockers for the point.

SI

Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #316
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

SI...come on...get the lingo right...extra ends and guards, not blockers!!!

johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #317
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

DOLA...I look forward to seeing the curling later tonight as it looked like CAN had the game under control early but must have stumbled/or NOR woke up later on.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #318
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey look everyone, I made a video!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #319
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
SI...come on...get the lingo right...extra ends and guards, not blockers!!!

Hey, I'm working on it. It's been 4 years since I've seen curling so I'm having to relearn a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
DOLA...I look forward to seeing the curling later tonight as it looked like CAN had the game under control early but must have stumbled/or NOR woke up later on.

Norway had a couple of great shots to keep Canada at bay and Canada had two costly errors.

SI

Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #320
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Women's curling starting now, streaming live on nbcolympics.com

SI

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #321
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So NBC's website won't be showing a live stream of the women's snowboard cross (looks like they're only showing hockey and curling streams), anyone got a good recommendation?

edit: nevermind, found a Eurosport one.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-16-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #322
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
So NBC's website won't be showing a live stream of the women's snowboard cross (looks like they're only showing hockey and curling streams), anyone got a good recommendation?
The official website (vancouver2010.com) lists all the websites that are allowed to live broadcast. It seems NBC is the only tv channel allowed to broadcast over the 'net to USA viewers. You could try any of the others, but you'll never know you get past the IP checks...

edit: heh, looks like you found your solution already.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 02-16-2010 at 04:39 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #323
MIJB#19
Coordinator

btw, I just noticed the untraditional way the Vancouver 2010 website lists medal winning countries in. The traditional way is to order by gold, then silver, then bronze, but they list countries by total medals.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #324
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Gold ML!!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #325
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
edit: heh, looks like you found your solution already.

German Eurosport flaked out on me but Romanian Eurosport is holding up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
btw, I just noticed the untraditional way the Vancouver 2010 website lists medal winning countries in. The traditional way is to order by gold, then silver, then bronze, but they list countries by total medals.

I prefer the non-traditional/American method adding gold/silver/bronze together.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #326
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'd appreciate a pm from somebody that has a stream for the snowboard cross final
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #327
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

Hmm, the way they have it is the way I remember the lists being in the past. First sort is total medals, then they go to gold, then silver, then bronze.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #328
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Great stuff Maple Leafs
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #329
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hmm, the way they have it is the way I remember the lists being in the past. First sort is total medals, then they go to gold, then silver, then bronze.

Huh - I always remember gold first, in every country I've ever read a paper in.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #330
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Interesting, so apparently there are different standards for how to list the medals. I mean, there's no 'right' way to order, but knowing which company is responsible for the stats tracking it's surprising to me they changed their own standards.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #331
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Huh - I always remember gold first, in every country I've ever read a paper in.

Yeah, to be clear, it is listed as:

Gold Silver Bronze Total

but the sort order is how I described it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #332
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Good win by the American hockey team although they did get sloppy in the defensive end. Ryan Miller had a good game and I think he'll have to carry this team if they have any hopes of medaling.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #333
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sorry, EF27.

Spoiler

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-16-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #334
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I need to remember to stay out of this thread if people are going to be posting results of stuff that will be aired later on in primetime.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #335
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I need to remember to stay out of this thread if people are going to be posting results of stuff that will be aired later on in primetime.

I think that's probably the best solution. In Canada, most stuff is airing live on one of 3 channels. I haven't been following NBC's coverage, and I have no idea if they have been doing the live stuff, what has aired, what is 'off limits'.

Snowcross was really fun to watch. Very happy with the ending
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 02-16-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

USA/Japan curling match on CNBC is a good one. Now in the 9th end.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #337
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Good win by the American hockey team although they did get sloppy in the defensive end. Ryan Miller had a good game and I think he'll have to carry this team if they have any hopes of medaling.

I wouldn't read too much into it. For a team that just had one day of practice together and had a choppy ice surface, they played well. Canada has line combos/pairings that are used to playing together.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #338
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Sort of. Ole-Kristian Tollefsen played for Columbus, moved to Philadelphia at the start of the season, and was just traded to Detroit a week or two ago. Detroit demoted him to their AHL club after the trade.

Basically a borderline NHL player and that is it.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #339
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Basically a borderline NHL player and that is it.

He isn't even playing in the game against Canada...family emergency.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #340
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Also, Patrick Thoresen played for the Oilers and the Flyers from 2006-08.

His moment of fame in the NHL came from an injury, which was initially thought to be a "ruptured testicle", but tests showed no rupture. Nevertheless, that's still gotta hurt.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 02-16-2010 at 08:10 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #341
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't watched much of the Olympics yet, but every time I do, I keep hearing the commentators talking about Whistler and Whistler and Whistler like it's supposed to mean something to me. "Now we head to Whistler..." "Let's go back to Whistler..." "Today at Whistler..." I think these people just like saying "Whistler." I like saying "dicksissle," but you don't see me dropping that word every chance I get.

Dicksissle.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #342
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I haven't watched much of the Olympics yet, but every time I do, I keep hearing the commentators talking about Whistler and Whistler and Whistler like it's supposed to mean something to me. "Now we head to Whistler..." "Let's go back to Whistler..." "Today at Whistler..." I think these people just like saying "Whistler." I like saying "dicksissle," but you don't see me dropping that word every chance I get.

Dicksissle.

You going to tell that to Kris Kristofferson?

SI

Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #343
bhlloy
Coordinator

Fricking Direct TV... you would have thought their search for "sports -> hockey" would include the Olympic games on CNBC. I missed the first 2 periods of the Canada game because of that. Only found out the game was on by pure luck when an article I read on line had a link to the schedule.

Getzlaf and Perry seem to be playing really well in the 3rd period. Bit surprised Canada hasn't scored more against possibly the weakest team in the competition.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #344
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Nice rip by Heatley off the post.

Women's snowcross is kind of hilarious - girls wiping out behind the coverage and apparently not even finishing. 1 qualifying for the semis while faceplanting and sliding the last 50 feet on her face.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #345
Drake
assmaster

Snowboardcross (or however the fuck you spell it) is one of those sports that I only remember during the Olympics and always makes me wish I liked snow more. That looks like a hell of a lot of fun, and if I was 20 years younger, I would adore it like Totino's pizzas and Cocoa Pebbles.

It is the rare winter olympics sport that I would actually like to play rather than watch.

Unfortunately, I don't even like to walk outside when it's snowing, let alone play in it.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #346
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That sucked for Jacobellis.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #347
Drake
assmaster

What do you think the chances are of getting Jim or Mark to drop their football projects and code a snowboardcross sim? That could be huge. For me.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #348
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Well, that's one athlete who hasn't been having some good Olympicses.

EDIT: Olympi? What the heck is the plural of "Olympics?"

Last edited by MrDNA : 02-16-2010 at 08:42 PM.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #349
Drake
assmaster

I sort of like Olympicses, whether or not it's correct. Or maybe Olympixi.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #350
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Snowboard cross is definitely pretty awesome to watch. Makes me wish I was 16 again. I'll have to settle for living vicariously through my children.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote