Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will the results be of the mid terms?
Red Wave- take control of both house and senate 23 50.00%
Blue Wave-keep control of both house and senate 4 8.70%
Split- Dems keep senate, lose house 19 41.30%
Split- Dems lose senate, take house 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2022, 06:16 AM   #301
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think there's an argument to be made that this actually makes DeSantis worse/more dangerous. Trump's incompetence mitigated how much damage he was able to do in a lot of ways. Trump, but more competent/sane, is potentially a much bigger threat.

I guess there is that "potential" for DeSantis could be worse/more dangerous but I'll take those odds vs the known insanity & narcissism of Trump.

Look at it this way. Of the examples I provided below on why I believe DeSantis is better than Trump, the below pretty much describes every 535 Congressperson + 50 Governors. The odds are that DeSantis, bad as some will say he is and assessed holistically (vs an individual policy here and there), is not near as bad as Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
That's hard to define but there's plenty of examples. There's not a tweet/drama/crisis etc. every 2-3 days. There's not a need to lie or bash/ridicule someone everyday. Communication style is more clear and consistent. Less hypocrisy. Definitely not near as narcissistic.

Basically, DeSantis is (more) sane.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:32 AM   #302
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

GOPers are straining very hard to understand how single women could have gone +37 for Dems all while trying never to say Dobbs might be the issue.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:43 AM   #303
Flasch186
Coordinator

Hard to believe that they would have sex outside of wedlock

That’s reserved for white men in the good book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:59 AM   #304
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I absolutely agree. I think a ranked-choice system is about the only way we can create a viable multi-party system. I would love to see a Progressive party, Green Party, Centrist party, Conservative party etc. and force colitions to build to govern.

Obama needs to be on every college campus in Georgia for the next 4 weeks. He and Michelle just needs to move into the W downtown until the runoff is over. Stacy Abrams needs her full attention on her "get out the vote" apparatus. Mainly, I believe Warnock needs to focus on some positive campaigning like he did when he won the last election.

As a Canadian who experiences the multi-party system, it has pros and cons for sure. The winning party will never have a majority of votes, just a plurality. So it gives rise to the naysayers who will say that the majority of people voted against the winning party, so they don't represent the people.

Then the next call is for different voting methods, which of course will give the advantage to their preferred party.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:11 AM   #305
bronconick
College Starter

Someone is going to have to convince me that Trump won't just drub DeSantis like Jeb Bush if they're in a contested primary before I worry about DeSantis before 2028.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #306
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I guess there is that "potential" for DeSantis could be worse/more dangerous but I'll take those odds vs the known insanity & narcissism of Trump.

Look at it this way. Of the examples I provided below on why I believe DeSantis is better than Trump, the below pretty much describes every 535 Congressperson + 50 Governors. The odds are that DeSantis, bad as some will say he is and assessed holistically (vs an individual policy here and there), is not near as bad as Trump.

Yeah, he's definitely not a guy who picks fights every three days against useless boogeymen to dominate the news cycle and flood the zone, just like Trump. He didn't pick a fight with one of his state's largest employer because of a timid statement in response to his horrible legislation or use his state's COVID money to bus another state's immigrants to a third state purely for publicity. And he does have a flair for performative legislation that gets struck down in court like his "riot" bill, his internet "free speech" one, or his WOKE act. But, yes, he has the potential to be much more competent and dangerous because he does things like ignore court decisions and demand he draw his own congressional maps.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:17 AM   #307
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Someone is going to have to convince me that Trump won't just drub DeSantis like Jeb Bush if they're in a contested primary before I worry about DeSantis before 2028.

This is fair. Let's get it on!

Hoping DeSantis takes the leap, it'll be a fascinating battle with Trump (or embarrassing cratering)
Old 11-10-2022, 07:23 AM   #308
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
As a Canadian who experiences the multi-party system, it has pros and cons for sure. The winning party will never have a majority of votes, just a plurality. So it gives rise to the naysayers who will say that the majority of people voted against the winning party, so they don't represent the people.

Then the next call is for different voting methods, which of course will give the advantage to their preferred party.
Anything is going to have pro's and con's. I would rather something that sort of forces comprise to work rather than the current system that forces extreme division.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #309
Edward64
Head Coach

Feeling better about AZ. Kelly has kept his 5% lead from 68% to now 76% counted.

Not feeling that great about NV. Laxalt still looks pretty good with 84% counted.

Looks like it will come down to Warnock (and Manchin, is he the big winner here?) for Biden.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #310
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

It makes all the sense in the world for DeSantis to sit out until 2028. He's the golden boy right now, he's still pretty young and he has a large platform in Florida. Let Trump run, cheer him on so you don't piss off the Trump only supporters and then, no matter who wins in 2024, he's positioned perfectly for 2028.

The biggest reason to run in 2024 is that Biden would be a potentially easier opponent than whoever runs for the Democrats in 2028.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #311
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
GOPers are straining very hard to understand how single women could have gone +37 for Dems all while trying never to say Dobbs might be the issue.

I saw one (of many, I assume) GOP pundits arguing that GOP men needed to marry all of these Dem under 40 women. The implication being, of course, that once married, the woman would cease having a mind of her own and do what the husband directs. These people are just terrible human beings.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:09 AM   #312
Jas_lov
College Starter

I actually think Masto looks good in NV. She got the margins she needed in last night's release. Laxalt lead down to 15k. Not much left in the rural counties. She is now winning Washoe County, which is usually the swing county. There's still 100k+ ballots left in Clark and Washoe.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #313
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
It makes all the sense in the world for DeSantis to sit out until 2028. He's the golden boy right now, he's still pretty young and he has a large platform in Florida. Let Trump run, cheer him on so you don't piss off the Trump only supporters and then, no matter who wins in 2024, he's positioned perfectly for 2028.

The biggest reason to run in 2024 is that Biden would be a potentially easier opponent than whoever runs for the Democrats in 2028.

I guess, but 6 years is a long time. And there's another governor's race. A lot can happen. He might be Urban Meyer, but what if he's one of these guys who peaks but sticks around waiting for the perfect job, starts to falter, and all of a sudden he's no longer the hot commodity?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #314
Galaril
Pro Starter

They just called Colorado 8th District for Democrat Yadira Caraveo over Kirkmayer. This is important since Boebert might hang on we were in jeopardy of State legislature swinging to R control. Now even if Boebert wins Ds control 4 of the 7 voting districts.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-10-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #315
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I actually think Masto looks good in NV. She got the margins she needed in last night's release. Laxalt lead down to 15k. Not much left in the rural counties. She is now winning Washoe County, which is usually the swing county. There's still 100k+ ballots left in Clark and Washoe.

That would be great. It'll take pressure off Warnock (and maybe less ads for the next month).
Old 11-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #316
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I guess, but 6 years is a long time. And there's another governor's race. A lot can happen. He might be Urban Meyer, but what if he's one of these guys who peaks but sticks around waiting for the perfect job, starts to falter, and all of a sudden he's no longer the hot commodity?

This is what I'm thinking.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:18 AM   #317
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I saw one (of many, I assume) GOP pundits arguing that GOP men needed to marry all of these Dem under 40 women. The implication being, of course, that once married, the woman would cease having a mind of her own and do what the husband directs. These people are just terrible human beings.

LOL. My wife and I are staunch Democrats. I am more moderate then her. She is a public school teacher trained to teach in high risk schools. Her class each year has usually 90% Hispanic students all hovering around the poverty level. We have 5 kids all teams and 4 our daughters. We have raised them all to be crazy woke liberals. My wife and I told them don’t ever bring home a conservative Maga type guy to meet us. If they were to marry middle of the road conservatives and swing them to the D side that would be ok.😀
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #318
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I think that may work out the exact opposite of what they are hoping and just build the Dem base LOL.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:37 AM   #319
Ksyrup

The other thing I've seen is the reaction to so many younger people coming out to vote and voting overwhelmingly Democrat is that in order to be successful, Rs need to ... increase the voting age to 21.

It's always about who shouldn't vote when the GOP isn't successful.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #320
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think that may work out the exact opposite of what they are hoping and just build the Dem base LOL.

Well, I think the underlying argument is that young families (husband/wife) are more likely to be GOP, so there's this transition period between young, single and Democrat/liberal to married and GOP. But I'm also reading into it the Christian angle, which is fairly common in some parts of our country - as evidenced by all of the women who openly support anti-woman initiatives.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #321
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
The other thing I've seen is the reaction to so many younger people coming out to vote and voting overwhelmingly Democrat is that in order to be successful, Rs need to ... increase the voting age to 21.

It's always about who shouldn't vote when the GOP isn't successful.

They're so clever. I'm sure that's easy to do.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #322
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

This part of Brian's post is significant for me.

Quote:
The only way for them to get a new star who is the 'vaguely responsible governance' category is for their voters to start voting for more of those people in primaries. It has to be fixed at the bottom instead of the top, and I don't see that happening until Trumpism is good and dead. The earliest that can happen in 2024. I think the best thing for both the Republican Party and the nation politically would be for Trump to get nominated again and get crushed in the general. Politicans will go where they think the votes are.

Make no mistake about it. DeSantis is a disciple of Trumpism and governs as such. And that is what his supporters want from him. I don't see anything to indicate otherwise. Sterlingice cited a few examples. Has he done it as the same grand scale as Trump? No. I would argue he has not had to because Trump would always be out in front with his drama. But that is still his biggest sell at this point IMO.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #323
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Make no mistake about it. DeSantis is a disciple of Trumpism and governs as such. And that is what his supporters want from him. I don't see anything to indicate otherwise. Sterlingice cited a few examples. Has he done it as the same grand scale as Trump? No. I would argue he has not had to because Trump would always be out in front with his drama. But that is still his biggest sell at this point IMO.

The original question was how much better is DeSantis vs Trump, and are they even that much different. Not comparing them to a 3rd candidate, just those 2.
Quote:
Serious question: How much better than Trump is DeSantis? I don't see them as being that different. When I think 'relatively normal GOP candidate', I think 'somebody closer to Liz Cheney than Ron DeSantis'.
So if you had to pick one, only one, who is better? Factor in everything including policies, actions, statements, personality, sanity etc.

On the hypothetical DeSantis scale of 1 to 10 -- where 1 is extremely worse than Trump, 5 is same, 10 is extremely better - I'd put DeSantis at a significantly better 8/9 range.

EDIT: if we want to talk about DeSantis, his policies, is there anyone better than him etc. glad to get into the discussion. But that was not the original question and that was not the context of my answers.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-10-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #324
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think DeSantis is better than Trump. But on your scale, I'd make him a high 5. 6 at absolute most.

Put it this way: I don't like being a Biden voter (and a Gov. Whitmer voter in the midterms). I disagree with them on policy as much as I agree with them. Some of the disagreements are very large and substantial. The most important area I agree with them on (climate change) they are doing IMO very little about - though partly that's the fault of the opposition.

Any party that is willing to three things will get my enthusiastic and full-voiced support:

- Play it straight when it comes to democracy, voting rights, gerrymandering, etc.
- Treat the constitution as binding, not a suggestion to be ignored when it's convenient
- Take seriously our responsibilities towards the environment and not screwing over future generations because we don't want to make hard decisions now.

We have no party willing to do even two of those things; at most there is tepid lip service to one of them. Leading is hard and I certainly couldn't do it myself; I'm not putting myself on a pedestal above them. But DeSantis isn't any more interested in doing any of these three than Trump is. Mostly IMO, that's because the voting base doesn't want him to be. There are minorities of the left who want the first and third one, but not enough to make it happen.

I think for the most part our disagreement is about Trump's 'demeanor'. The tweets, the personal attacks, etc. are very bad. They are more important than 'minor' political issues, but not nearly as important IMO as the huge, foundational ones. And on those foundational issues, I don't think there's a difference between the two. DeSantis is just Trump, but less incompetent on those. .02

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-10-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #325
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I think DeSantis is better than Trump. But on your scale, I'd make him a high 5. 6 at absolute most.

I don't see it. But we'll agree to disagree here.

EDIT: I see your update on the 3 foundational items. I'm sure that's why we disagree. I would not limit it to those 3 and wouldn't agree they are the top 3.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-10-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:06 AM   #326
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I’m praying that the abortion is going to drive a blue wave of women that the polls are overlooking. And people who want to save democracy.

Apparently 72% of white women voted for Kemp over Abrams in Georgia, so that's neat.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #327
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Seems pretty certain that Masto is going to win at this point. The latest batch of mail flipped Washoe county from red to blue.

I think Sisolak might be able to survive int he Gov race, but it will be super close.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #328
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Apparently 72% of white women voted for Kemp over Abrams in Georgia, so that's neat.

The statewide candidates for the Georgia GOP did a great job of appearing to be anti-Trump, while still appealing to Trump voters.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #329
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Nah, he wouldn't run for governor again, he'd just announce he is running for president instead.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #330
Edward64
Head Coach

It seems Frisch's lead has widened from like < 100? Hope she goes down.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...022/index.html
Quote:
Ballots are still being counted in Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert's Colorado district, where she is in a tight race against Democrat Adam Frisch.

CNN has not made a projection in the race yet, but Frisch was ahead of Boebert by just 386 as of 12: 30 p.m. ET Thursday.
:
On Wednesday night, Pueblo County Clerk and Recorder Gilbert Ortiz told CNN that Pueblo County, another county in Boebert’s district, was expected to post more votes that night and they would pick back up tomorrow morning at 11 a.m ET (9 a.m local time)
Old 11-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #331
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
They just called Colorado 8th District for Democrat Yadira Caraveo over Kirkmayer. This is important since Boebert might hang on we were in jeopardy of State legislature swinging to R control. Now even if Boebert wins Ds control 4 of the 7 voting districts.

Colorado has 8 congressional seats now. Split is 5-2 plus the winner of the 3rd.

State legislature is totally Democrat controlled. Hell, we just elected a Democrat in Highlands Ranch.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #332
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Not surprising. Nationally white women vote for Republicans over Democrats. I think the number I saw was 52%-48%. If that number flipped, Democrats would be in the majority regardless of gerrymandering.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-10-2022 at 11:53 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #333
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Boebert up by 400 now...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #334
Ksyrup

Old 11-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #335
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NBC is predicting a 1 seat GOP House majority.

That should be entertaining.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #336
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Boebert up by 400 now...

Everything I'm reading says that those were all Otero County votes that would lean her way and what's left leans left. Either way, it sounds like this is likely going to trigger an automatic recount it's going to be so close.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #337
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is she gearing up to go to war with Donald, Scrooge, and the gang?

I hope she has her sharpie ready because life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg.

Spoiler

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-10-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #338
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
NBC is predicting a 1 seat GOP House majority.

That should be entertaining.

New York, of all places, likely screwed the dems out of maintaining control of the House
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #339
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
New York, of all places, likely screwed the dems out of maintaining control of the House

One positive out of this, though, is that those members are less likely to go full in on MAGA because of their constituency. So they may be tougher to whip to support some of the more extreme stuff I expect we'll see if Jordan and his gang take control from McCarthy.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #340
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Seems like if you're the Dems and you want some stuff passed, just pork up the bill a little to get a GOP vote here or there, and you can get the spending bills done.

Then again, they can't seem to keep their caucus in order so why would I think they can do good horse trading with the GOP.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-10-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #341
stevew
Hall Of Famer

*if* McCarthy controls the gavel and nothing passes without a majority of the majority though.

Last edited by stevew : 11-10-2022 at 02:14 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #342
Edward64
Head Coach

I can understand waiting on mail in ballots that were postmarked close to/on election day and hence the wait.

But com'on. Not yet started counting ballots dropped off on Tue smells of unpreparedness.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...3040fb6ab3e440
Quote:
Arizona's Maricopa County has not started counting 290,000 ballots that were dropped off at voting sites on election day — a critical batch of ballots that could help determine who wins the uncalled Senate and governor’s races in the state, Bill Gates, chairman of the Maricopa County board of supervisors, told CNN Thursday.

Maricopa County has about 400,000 ballots left to count, and 290,000 of those are early ballots that were dropped off at voting sites Tuesday, Gates told CNN’s Sara Sidner.

The 290,000 ballots that were dropped off on election day “was a record,” he said.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #343
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #344
bob
College Starter

Because votes in one election don’t count in other elections? I mean, that’s sorta how it all works.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #345
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Gerrymandering is probably the real answer. I have no idea if that is true in this case but I could 100% sure how you could get a couple near 100% democrat districts out of that map and carve the rest of those blue areas up into narrow red districts.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #346
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Kari Lake is starting to freak the fuck out and I am here for it. Amazes me these election denying maga idiots can’t grasp that most people really don’t like them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #347
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

If you have blue votes clustered around Madison and Milwaukee at a 90% rate and the rest of the state is 60%-70% red, it's actually pretty hard to district that into something representing the statewide vote. It has to be drawn very deliberately (gerrymandered) to not have more red districts.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #348
Ksyrup

I thought "freak the fuck out" was her campaign slogan.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #349
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Kari Lake is starting to freak the fuck out and I am here for it. Amazes me these election denying maga idiots can’t grasp that most people really don’t like them.

Something that the GOP seems to never get is that acting like Trump only seems to ever work for Trump.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #350
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Who has a map of the districts?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote