Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #101
DanGarion
Coordinator

Glad we are all on the same page.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #102
Autumn
Head Coach

I think clearly we're going to need a lot of things, but starting with a biodome seems the most sensible, assuming that means creating a safe living environment that might produce food and water. Can't imagine we can do without that.

For leader, not knowing anything about characters in the game, I'm going to nominate JAG. He was the best at getting us organized in the Spawn game, and I think he is perfect for the job.

I will put my name out for medical officer, as that is my specialty back on earth.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #103
timmae
College Starter

Post 1 instructions from EF...

"First you must get the living quarters powered and establish the solar collectors that will provide unlimited power (that is what you have been told at least). Then you need to get the greenhouse pod working so that you can have a supply of food that you can replenish into the future."

That is what you have been told at least.

Has to be a clue, right? I certainly have some scientific background and can try to pinpoint if a solar collector could provide energy or not. Something must if we are to produce anything.. including water or food.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #104
DanGarion
Coordinator

Didn't realize that we are making our decisions based upon previous games...
Old 02-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #105
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've had experience with leading large groups of successful people back on earth, which is why I decided to come to Mars and help lead colonization.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #106
Grover
Pro Starter

I spent two years as an engineer on the ISS. I'm willing to handle the engineering aspects of our projects.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #107
Raven
College Prospect

I agree that establishing the BioDome should be our priority. Without food we won't be able to sustain ourselves. We can probably sleep on the ship until food source is established, so shelter is at least temporarily in place.

Seems DanGarion, Grover, Autumn and I are in agreement on BioDome, so far?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #108
Zinto
College Starter

I am going to throw my hat into the ring to be the leader. I ran one of the most successful companies back on Earth. I have the experience and the ability to manage personalities while making sure things run smoothly and effectively.

I am Zinto and I approve this message.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #109
Shoveler
High School Varsity

For the sake of argument, I believe we should consider the biodome as a secondary task. We have supplies on us already, and it is highly likely that we will find necessary supplies from the first crew. A surplus of supplies will not make our colony successful.

What we do not have is a system of governing ourselves once we have landed. I strongly feel that establishing the government should be our number one priority. Without this we may find ourselves falling into chaos.

With that being said, I would like to toss my name into the fold for Sheriff. You, my fellow crewmates, did not know me on Earth, but I have countless years of experience enforcing justice.
Shoveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #110
timmae
College Starter

Shoveler... I agree on a quick form of government so that we can proceed with the colony. Leaders will go a long way to start that process and maybe enough to have some cohesion in place. Great thought!

We are not sure on how long our supplies will last... we should have some contingencies in place. Seeing no scientists yet I can volunteer my services for that role. My life on earth was spent in the scientific field.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #111
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'd much rather be safe than sorry. We don't know if we will find the food from the previous mission and having a excess of supplies and food is much safer for the whole than running out of food while we deal with other tasks that could have waited.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #112
Grover
Pro Starter

Shoveler, to counterpoint: Sure we have supplies, but don't you want a little personal space?

Also, how likely is it that we will get to the first crew? How far away is their landing site? I don't think we're in a position to make an excursion before we're safely in a living space. We all probably need to decompress a little bit before we get going.

Once we establish our Biodome, I think we can easily set up the ranks of leadership and go from there. I feel strongly about going headstrong from our new location to our predecessor's location without knowing their fate. Do we wish to go there and suffer the same fate as them? Let's set up a home, set up our heirarchy and then plan an excursion.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #113
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Poor some leader on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #114
Zinto
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Poor some leader on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Hahha I missed your posts CF
Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #115
Thomkal
Head Coach

General Thomkal here:

Greetings men. I look forward to working with you to establish mankind's presence on this brave new world. For that we need to provide for our own security and safety-since we do not know yet what has befallen the first mission to this planet. Tasks that accomplish that should be our first priorities. I suggest everyone inform us of what areas they can help the most with and then form groups to work on these priorities.

I am well suited to working with a diverse group of personalities and backgrounds given my military experience and leadership skills. I am eager to make the acquaintance of any current/former members of the armed services with us now as I know what skills you bring to the table already.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #116
Zinto
College Starter

I agree with Mr. Shoveler. A government can take us on a strong and stable path. We already have the supplies needed to survive for a time and after we have the proper structure we can focus on providing good infrastructure for our colony.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #117
Raven
College Prospect

We may indeed find food supplies from the first crew, but when? We do not know the location of that ship - it may even take months to discover. Even if we do find it, we have no idea what remains of it. If there is no food there, then what? We're not prepared to venture out until we know we have adequate supplies.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #118
Suicane75
Coordinator

I too think we should focus on the biodome first.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #119
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I spent two years as an engineer on the ISS. I'm willing to handle the engineering aspects of our projects.

You spent two years working for ISIS?
That place is nuts. YOu did it with Pam Poovey didn't you!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #120
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I too think we should focus on the biodome first.

I'm hungry like something that isn't a wolf.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #121
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Post 1 instructions from EF...

"First you must get the living quarters powered and establish the solar collectors that will provide unlimited power (that is what you have been told at least). Then you need to get the greenhouse pod working so that you can have a supply of food that you can replenish into the future."

That is what you have been told at least.

Has to be a clue, right? I certainly have some scientific background and can try to pinpoint if a solar collector could provide energy or not. Something must if we are to produce anything.. including water or food.

If this is a quote from your mailbox please do not do that. It will probably hurt you if you do. It's usually against the rules and most stuff like that you probably want to keep secret for your own good.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #122
Shoveler
High School Varsity

I accept that I have sacrificed the little things in life to be a part of this colonization mission. Lack of personal space in these first days on the new planet is something small and easily overcome.

As for the first crew, they crashed during landing, we all know this. Once we have successfully touched down on the planet we cannot face the same fate as the first mission. Regardless of the distance, we have a known location for supplies which I believe will close to double our current stockpile. Everything they brought with them should be available to us assuming it survived the crash.

A biodome is important, I will concede that point, but without a system of governance we may run into pressing matters that we are not fit to handle in our present state.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #123
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm hungry like something that isn't a wolf.

A hippo?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #124
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
If this is a quote from your mailbox please do not do that. It will probably hurt you if you do. It's usually against the rules and most stuff like that you probably want to keep secret for your own good.

sorry... quote from post 1 of this thread. Should have quoted it some other way maybe. My bad.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #125
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
I accept that I have sacrificed the little things in life to be a part of this colonization mission. Lack of personal space in these first days on the new planet is something small and easily overcome.

As for the first crew, they crashed during landing, we all know this. Once we have successfully touched down on the planet we cannot face the same fate as the first mission. Regardless of the distance, we have a known location for supplies which I believe will close to double our current stockpile. Everything they brought with them should be available to us assuming it survived the crash.

A biodome is important, I will concede that point, but without a system of governance we may run into pressing matters that we are not fit to handle in our present state.

We need to attract Pauly Shore. Then we win.

We need this.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #126
Shoveler
High School Varsity

Quote:

He was quoting Post #1
Old 02-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #127
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:

He is quoting EagleFan - public post #1 in this thread.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #128
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

who was he quoting? I don't understand.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #129
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The Bull Moose Special

One other color text will appear, blue. That will be this game's version of the bull moose special. An event that has been triggered by colonist actions

YOU SON OF A GUN.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #130
timmae
College Starter

Items 1 through 5 first maybe... seems like we have a lot of conversation on item 6. Item 1 may help that a bit.

1. Elect a leader.
JAG? DanGarion? Zinto?
2. Elect a primary doctor.
Autumn?
3. Elect a primary scientist.
Timmae?
4. Elect a primary engineer.
Grover?
5. Elect a Sherriff.
Shoveler?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #131
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:

CrimsonFox, go back and read your comment to Timmae in post 121. You thought he was posting something from his PMs, but he was not. He was quoting EagleFan's public post (found in post #1)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #132
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you participating in this game or not?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #133
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm willing to throw my hat in for the leader vote as well. I've already lived in space for two years, I know what it takes to survive in this element. I've got some priorities that have been shared with other members in: DanGarion, Raven, Suicane75 and Autumn.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #134
timmae
College Starter

lol, I love this game already! You guys are the breast!
Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #135
Grover
Pro Starter

Those priorities, obviously, being to build a BioDome before we a) take unprepared trips to Crash Site A, b) build a government.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, you're a doctor?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #137
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I think we don't have enough information to know the optimal route. Let's say we crank out the bio dome right away. But then without a system of government the hidden thugs among us (suspicion of one non-colonist at least) takes the extra food and there is no system to punish them properly, among the rest of the chaos that a lack of government could cause. It's possible getting the scientific research going would give us the means of growing twice as much food thanks to improved techniques as well as the other benefits it would provide. We're the other colonists killed off by a plague? Wish we had had that medical facility built.

I personally prefer a non-biodome strategy on the basis that we have at least some supplies to begin (I doubt EF would kill us this quickly) but to improve our efficiency, we need better research and a system of laws, as well as a facility that will let us heal players rather than losing them to injuries.

I'm leaning towards research for now, but I'm also ok with medical or government.

What are we thinking regarding giving some general information out about what tasks we would be good at? On one hand, we don't want to randomly sign people up for leadership roles they would be lousy at based on their skills, but we also don't know the consequences of revealing that information.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #138
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
CrimsonFox, go back and read your comment to Timmae in post 121. You thought he was posting something from his PMs, but he was not. He was quoting EagleFan's public post (found in post #1)

heh I know I was teasing because 3 people answered.

Glad it was that. Mainly I told you because you guys said you were new and needed to know that if you quote things from PMs you might give something away and get killed by others (or the mod)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #139
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I see the need for a biodome... But this is a dangerous place. We need a place to heal or we may face the same fate as the last group. I am also of the medical profession and would be a fine doctor for the group.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #140
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm an automechanic so I can work on the Moon BUggy. Did anyone remember to pack the moonbuggy?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #141
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

wouldn't that be a mars buggy?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #142
Raven
College Prospect

I want to throw my hat in the ring for lead scientist. I was a farmer back home and I can lead the job getting the BioDome up and running.

Vote for Raven and all your wildest dreams will come true.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #143
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
heh I know I was teasing because 3 people answered.

Glad it was that. Mainly I told you because you guys said you were new and needed to know that if you quote things from PMs you might give something away and get killed by others (or the mod)

Your efforts don't go unnoticed or unappreciated buggyman!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #144
Suicane75
Coordinator

Doctors always wanna be doctorin
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #145
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
wouldn't that be a mars buggy?

pffff now that's silly. who ever heard of a mars buggy.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #146
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Poli can you be my bartender? I'll pay you 5 cents an hour
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #147
Suicane75
Coordinator

Back on earth I was a prominent man in the political community so I'm here to offer any help I can in regards to getting our goverment up and running if that's what we choose to do. But I really think getting a place set up from all other things can spring forth is our best course of action.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #148
timmae
College Starter

1. Elect a leader.
JAG? DanGarion? Zinto? Grover?
2. Elect a primary doctor.
Autumn? ntndeacon?
3. Elect a primary scientist.
Timmae? Raven?
4. Elect a primary engineer.
Grover?
5. Elect a Sherriff.
Shoveler?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am also in the medical field, which is why I asked Autumn if he is a doctor. I would ask the same of ntndeacon.

I would submit that I am the best person to be the primary doctor.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #150
timmae
College Starter

Anyone else find the text in EF's initial post a tad bit "interesting"? Should we be focusing on power? He mentions it so I am thinking that has a huge role to play. Thoughts?

Form a loose government with the key positions filled and then focus on some kind of power for food production/travel/etc?