Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #1401
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'll be looking for shoes that help address this concern, as well as hold up for winter outdoor running. Ideally, I'll be getting 7-15 miles per week in over the next few months, with at least half of it outdoors ... at least until I wimp out and decide that the treadmill isn't so boring after all. Anyway, I at least feel better armed to make a decision now but I'm still going to go to a running shoe place rather than an all-around sporting goods store (like Dick's or Finish Line) because now I feel like I can at least ask intelligent questions and have some particular shoes that I want to target.
Some running shoe stores actually observe you running (on a treadmill or up and down an alley) and determine the best type of running shoes for your running style. They'll probably bring out four or five initially and you'd try each of them and narrow them down to a couple that feel most comfortable to you until you find the perfect shoe. This is all done without showing you the price of the shoe. Their goal is to find the best fit for your foot. If you get down to the last two, of course you can let the price determine your final decision.

There's a store like this out here in the L.A. area called "A Snail's Pace". Find out if there's a similar store out in your neck of the woods.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #1402
booradley
High School Varsity

Well, weight down to 189, waist from 40" to 36" - although 36" is a bit snug. At what point do you say you "fit" into pants?
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #1403
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Some running shoe stores actually observe you running (on a treadmill or up and down an alley) and determine the best type of running shoes for your running style. They'll probably bring out four or five initially and you'd try each of them and narrow them down to a couple that feel most comfortable to you until you find the perfect shoe. This is all done without showing you the price of the shoe. Their goal is to find the best fit for your foot. If you get down to the last two, of course you can let the price determine your final decision.

There's a store like this out here in the L.A. area called "A Snail's Pace". Find out if there's a similar store out in your neck of the woods.

That is exactly what happened. The place I went was "Fleet Feet", which appears to be a national chain with a couple Chicago area stores. First they had me walk about ten feet back and forth barefoot, and then I hit the treadmill for each of the three pairs that I tried on, and honestly wasn't able to tell a ton of difference between the three of them. All three were pretty comfortable, considerably moreso than my current pair (which is more or less in tatters). As you said, no prices shown until the end. But that was fine in this case, as I was playing with some bonus money plus gift cards so I was pretty OK with going above my normal budget this once.

I'm the proud owner of these shoes now - http://www.asicsamerica.com/footwear...18-t200n-mens/

Probably more shoe than I am going to need for my running habits, but hopefully this will be a good incentive for me to get going and sustain a running program through the winter.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #1404
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I've decided to weigh myself twice a week: Friday morning then again Monday morning (to see the effects of any weekend binging).

9/1 - 230.0
10/22 - 233.6 (unofficial, pre-juicer)
10/26 - 228.4
10/31 - 227.4

After only a week of juicing, I've lost a good 6+ lbs. I have only juices for dinner, and bring a bottle to work to drink throughout the day. I still eat breakfast and lunch, but it's pretty light. Today I have some yogurt sprinkled with Kashii cereal, and a small dish of pasta for lunch. If I'm still hungry, I'll probably go to the vending machine and get a bag of sunflower seeds. But this 32oz bottle of juice (pictured) should tide me over for the day.

Looks nasty, but it's quite tasty. Really, there's about 5 parts apples and pears to 1 part leafy greens.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #1405
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
First big challenge coming up this week - I leave tomorrow afternoon for a 4-day business trip to DC. Not looking forward to limited/expensive food choices and a major breakdown of my weekly routine.

I hear you on this -- these can be make-or-break interruptions. I had a chili thing after church on Sunday(ate only a little and a bit of cornbread), then Halloween I worked from 9:30-8 which required me getting up in time to do core exercises, hit the gym for the cardio, etc. before I went in. Barely got myself up and around in time to do everything.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1406
corbes
College Benchwarmer

A lot of good work here Boo, ABC, Brian, Hoops . . . keep it up! Ksyrup, perhaps you'll find a chance to take a few good walks in DC?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #1407
hoopsguy
General Manager

Start of month weigh-in was 167.4, down 1.7 from last month. Much better than the 0.6 I lost over previous 30 days, I suppose. Last month I posted that I wanted to "take a run at 167 or something like that" and I did get as low as 167.1 at one point, so I guess mission accomplished on some level.

I had a pretty consistent month, which could have been a banner month if I had gotten any kind of consistent exercise. My work was ridiculous, but that is likely to be the new reality with this job so I'm going to need to adjust. I've finally got my treadmill out of the garage and back in the house, and with a new pair of running shoes it is time to transition from soccer 1x per week to running 3-4x per week. And getting back into the push-ups, which frankly I have zero excuse for bypassing all month. Just let inertia, in a bad way, get the best of me.

What did I do well this month? Well, the booze was down a little bit and there really weren't any meaningful "binge" meals/weekends. I snuck in some snacking, but all in all my portion control was as good as it has been since I started working on weight loss last month.

November includes hectic work, Thanksgiving, and a business trip for 4 days that I know about so far. It will probably be a challenge to get to 165 this month, but if I get into something resembling a good running routine I can probably reach my goal of 165 four months ahead of schedule. I'm close enough to it that I think that is what I have to shoot for when reporting time comes around next month.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1408
hoopsguy
General Manager

Time to break out the diet spreadsheet to actually look for trends. Hopefully this is at least a little interesting for others to see ... I've been trying to capture good data on my weight loss activities, but haven't really gone inside the numbers before now.

If anyone has thoughts to offer on data that should be captured, I'm all ears.

August:
- Starting Weight: 174.1
- Ending Weight: 170.6
- Highest Weight: 175.6
- Lowest Weight: 169.5
- # of Cokes: 12
- # of Beers: 22
- # of Glasses of Wine: 21
- # of days doing pushups: 14
- # of days doing walks: 8 (mileage for 5 totals 8.1 miles)
- # of runs: 1 (2.7 miles in 31 minutes)
Splurge events: anniversary meal, lunch with college friends
Takeaways: 1st month of pushups, good routine there. More Cokes than I remembered drinking this month.

September:
- Starting Weight: 169.7
- Ending Weight: 169.4
- Highest Weight: 174.6
- Lowest Weight: 169.0
- # of Cokes: 14
- # of Beers: 33
- # of Glasses of Wine: 20
- # of days doing pushups: 10
- # of days doing walks: 1 for 2.14 miles
- # of runs: 4 for 12.65 miles, a little over 10 minute mile pace
- # of soccer games: 3
Splurge events: anniversary weekend, deep dish pizza, wife promotion, dinner with friends, lunch with college friends
Takeaways: more beer than I usually drink, seemed like lots of events this month

October:
- Starting Weight: 169.1
- Ending Weight: 167.4
- Highest Weight: 172.0
- Lowest Weight: 167.1
- # of Cokes: 16
- # of Beers: 17
- # of Glasses of Wine: 21
- # of days doing pushups: 14
- # of days doing walks: 0 (getting too cold to go out with daughter, will be dropped for November)
- # of runs: 0
- # of soccer games: 4
Splurge events: end of soccer dinner
Takeaways: bad sleep led to more caffeine, exercise collapsed outside of soccer. Lack of events meant less alcohol.

Notes - need to take better notes on eating days that are aberrations, easier to identify at glance without reviewing all meals and trying to figure it out again.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #1409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

9/19 - 203.2
9/26 - 198.6
10/3 - 196.8
10/12 - 193.6
10/19 - 192.0
10/26 - 190.6
11/02 - 188.4

Steady progress. So far so good on the road. It's nice being somewhere that has healthy options, unlike KY which basically has Subway. Ha! Weight Watchers is helping as I'm able to look up point values and such and stay within my allowance. Last night had a salad and taco from Baja Fresh, and just now had a great salad at Freshii - a place I'd never heard of but wish I had in my backyard. Basically, a build-your-own salad/wrap/rice bowl concept. Very cool idea, and great execution. Think I'll be back there before I leave Friday night.

Will be hitting the treadmill tonight, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #1410
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Well, weight down to 189, waist from 40" to 36" - although 36" is a bit snug. At what point do you say you "fit" into pants?

I'm at 188 and into 34" jeans. Not as loose as I prefer, but I fit. Problem is, I only have 1 pair of 34" jeans, 2 pair of 33" and a bunch of 32". So I need to drop the next 10 pounds or so very quickly. Might need to buy at least 1 more pair of 34" to bridge the gap. Also starting to transition between my "fat man" suits and "medium man" suits. Again, not much in between, so I don't have many options until I lose another 10-15 pounds. Good problem to have, I guess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #1411
AnalBumCover
College Starter

9/1 - 230.0
10/26 - 228.4
10/31 - 227.4
11/4 - 224.6

By not eating any solid foods after 2pm every day, I must be doing something right. I'm continually shedding the pounds and inches.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #1412
Ksyrup

Well, my Wednesday night didn't go exactly as planned. A good friend of mine flew in for the conference I'm at, and we went to dinner. So instead of a carefully planned meal and workout after, I ended up eating a bigger meal than expected and didn't get back to the room until after 9pm. So that night was shot. But I rebounded the last couple of days by strictly watching what I ate and getting in a couple of 4.5 mile runs on the treadmill. Mission accomplished.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #1413
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good work, Ksyrup. I had a 15 hour workday for my first full day on the business trip but if the weekend plays out like I hope/expect, then I'll be able to match your two treadmill runs and hopefully come back home without having put on much weight.

I was down to 166.6 on Thursday afternoon before I left, which I believe is my lowest weight I've had since my freshman year of college. Very much hoping to hit 165 before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #1414
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Well done KS and ABC. Getting right back on it after an interruption is so important.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #1415
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

And another week in the books

Summary

Solid week -- definitely not perfect, but pretty good. I had multiple interruptions to the normal eating pattern that were not in my control, but managed them all pretty well and didn't go off the reservation at all. No missed workouts, but Wednesday definitely did not have good focus on the core exercises. Got it back Friday with a great workout -- had trouble walking up the stairs afterwards until my legs recovered.

Mild leg soreness/tiredness on Wed and Fri but nothing significant -- I'm definitely not pushing all that hard yet.

By the Numbers

Weight: 317.7(-3.0, -15.3 overall)
Pushups: 3 max(+1), 81 knee reps(+5)
Crunches: 10 max(+4), 45 reps(+7)
Squats: 16 max(+3), 102 reps(+26)
Cardio: 10.9 mi., approx 1990 cal., 127-150 max HR
New Year's Goal: 300 lbs.(17.7 lbs. in 8 weeks)

First full week on the treadmill went off without a major hitch. I'm just starting to see barely discernible physical effects -- I actually feel worse than I did a month ago about my condition but that's just because I'm more focused on it now. Down a notch in the belt and almost a pants size -- 44s were the best fit and now 42s are a hair on the big side. The 46s are a freaking tent now, nigh unwearable, and I'm burning the ships -- they're headed to Goodwill.

With 8 weeks exactly left in the year -- New Year's Day falls on a Sunday which is my weigh-in day -- it looks like my original goal of 310 is going to be long gone by then. New medium-range goal is 300 even, which is aggressive but doable, 2.2 lbs. a week. That would put me right about where I've been at the turn of the new year the last 2-3 years, and I'd be at 12 weeks back on the program at that point which is the longest I've ever managed to stick with it in the past. If that's achieved, I'd be in great position to start 2012 off, and my metabolism would be just about in full gear by then.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-06-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #1416
sabotai
General Manager

Little update even though it's all bad news. I had a migraine just about every day in October, so exercise was out. And because I was in pain all month, I sought out comfort food and am now back up to mid-upper 230s (Today's weight: 236.4). And just when the migraines stopped and I got my ass out of bed early to go for a run before work, I get sick that night and spend a few days coughing up stuff I don't even want to describe.

So yeah. Not sick anymore and hopefully the migraines don't come back for awhile so I can get back to it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #1417
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Good work Brian
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #1418
AnalBumCover
College Starter

10/26 - 228.4
10/31 - 227.4
11/4 - 224.6
11/7 - 227.8

Monday morning weigh-in. I fell off the wagon over the weekend and didn't juice for two days. I don't think I'll let that happen again.

There's a lesson to be learned here: I cannot fall back to my old habits, even if for just a day or two.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #1419
Ksyrup

9/19 - 203.2
9/26 - 198.6
10/3 - 196.8
10/12 - 193.6
10/19 - 192.0
10/26 - 190.6
11/02 - 188.4
11/09 - 186.6

Getting there. Another 3.5 pounds for me to meet my Thanksgiving mini-goal. That will be 20 pounds and halfway to my goal.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #1420
hoopsguy
General Manager

sabotai - hope that the health gets back in line and you get back in the fitness mix again quickly. Oh, and if you could miss a couple of games in King's Pick4 game that would be just fine by me.

ABC - good news is that the "fall off the wagon" only delays the progress by a week. Blip on the radar in the long-term. Is the juicer a long-term plan or is it a "x # of weeks" program?

Ksyrup - you are killing it. You've nearly lost as much weight in 2 months as I have in 8.

Hope to have some good news to share in the next couple of days ...
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #1421
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
ABC - good news is that the "fall off the wagon" only delays the progress by a week. Blip on the radar in the long-term. Is the juicer a long-term plan or is it a "x # of weeks" program?
I never gave myself an endpoint to this program. I wanted it to be sort of a general change of routine and lifestyle. It was tough the first few days. But after a while juicing at night became the thing I do when I get home from work. There's no cooking involved, minimal prep-work, and easy clean-up, so the task of "slaving in the kitchen" is pretty much eliminated.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #1422
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just wanted to pop back in to share that it's been a couple months now and despite a hectic travel schedule that has curtailed my working out for up to two weeks at one point, I'm still maintaining at 178.

Not a huge surprise, as I really haven't eased up a whole lot on my diet (still eating the same foods, just maybe giving myself a little extra liberty).

Real happy though, as the statistics are so against me maintaining.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #1423
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm at 188 and into 34" jeans. Not as loose as I prefer, but I fit. Problem is, I only have 1 pair of 34" jeans, 2 pair of 33" and a bunch of 32". So I need to drop the next 10 pounds or so very quickly. Might need to buy at least 1 more pair of 34" to bridge the gap. Also starting to transition between my "fat man" suits and "medium man" suits. Again, not much in between, so I don't have many options until I lose another 10-15 pounds. Good problem to have, I guess.

I'm at 178 and in 34s. I need to trim my gut down more - that's my next mission.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #1424
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
And another week in the books

Summary

Solid week -- definitely not perfect, but pretty good. I had multiple interruptions to the normal eating pattern that were not in my control, but managed them all pretty well and didn't go off the reservation at all. No missed workouts, but Wednesday definitely did not have good focus on the core exercises. Got it back Friday with a great workout -- had trouble walking up the stairs afterwards until my legs recovered.

Mild leg soreness/tiredness on Wed and Fri but nothing significant -- I'm definitely not pushing all that hard yet.

By the Numbers

Weight: 317.7(-3.0, -15.3 overall)
Pushups: 3 max(+1), 81 knee reps(+5)
Crunches: 10 max(+4), 45 reps(+7)
Squats: 16 max(+3), 102 reps(+26)
Cardio: 10.9 mi., approx 1990 cal., 127-150 max HR
New Year's Goal: 300 lbs.(17.7 lbs. in 8 weeks)

First full week on the treadmill went off without a major hitch. I'm just starting to see barely discernible physical effects -- I actually feel worse than I did a month ago about my condition but that's just because I'm more focused on it now. Down a notch in the belt and almost a pants size -- 44s were the best fit and now 42s are a hair on the big side. The 46s are a freaking tent now, nigh unwearable, and I'm burning the ships -- they're headed to Goodwill.

With 8 weeks exactly left in the year -- New Year's Day falls on a Sunday which is my weigh-in day -- it looks like my original goal of 310 is going to be long gone by then. New medium-range goal is 300 even, which is aggressive but doable, 2.2 lbs. a week. That would put me right about where I've been at the turn of the new year the last 2-3 years, and I'd be at 12 weeks back on the program at that point which is the longest I've ever managed to stick with it in the past. If that's achieved, I'd be in great position to start 2012 off, and my metabolism would be just about in full gear by then.

Just catching up in this thread - way to go man!! You can do it (as it sounds like you know!)
Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #1425
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I never gave myself an endpoint to this program. I wanted it to be sort of a general change of routine and lifestyle. It was tough the first few days. But after a while juicing at night became the thing I do when I get home from work. There's no cooking involved, minimal prep-work, and easy clean-up, so the task of "slaving in the kitchen" is pretty much eliminated.

That's kinda cool. Would be interested in more details on this - post here or shoot me a PM?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #1426
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That's kinda cool. Would be interested in more details on this - post here or shoot me a PM?
It all started after my wife and I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix. I'm not going to bore you with the details of this documentary, you can read about it here: IMDb

The next day, we set out on our own 10-day cleanse. Armed with a shiny new Jack Lalanne juicer and a shopping cart full of strawberries, kale, oranges, cucumbers, watermelon, spinach, grapes, celery, and tons and tons of apples, we began our journey of the juice.

24 hours later, we craved a burger and gave in.

But we didn't give up. After all, what are we going to do with all this produce? So we compromised. Juice only for dinner, and enjoy solid foods for breakfast and lunch. Any juice left over from that evening, bottle it and take to work to drink throughout the day. This became a great alternative to sodas at work.

This plan has worked for us for two and a half weeks already. Except for that first couple of days (and that hiccup from last weekend), we don't really think twice about juicing for dinner. There's no craving for anything else. Sure, if I have to prepare our lunch for the next day, the smell is wonderful and tempting, but we've always gone to the juicer.

If anyone here dares to try this, I'd like to hear your stories.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 11-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #1427
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I asked my mama to give me a juicer for Christmas! Go me!!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #1428
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I asked my mama to give me a juicer for Christmas! Go me!!
Nice!

Now here's a tip if you're a little apprehensive of juicing leafy vegetables like kale or spinach: adding cucumbers will give it a nice cool, crisp taste, and apples (I like granny smith here) will sweeten it up and hide the "grassy" flavor of the greens. In fact, I add apples to just about everything I juice.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #1429
AnalBumCover
College Starter

10/26 - 228.4
10/31 - 227.4
11/4 - 224.6
11/7 - 227.8
11/11 - 224.8

So two days set me back one week. But I'm back on track. If I go to a Pacquiao fight party on Saturday it will be a big test.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #1430
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Eh, might as well put some thoughts in here since I'm working on this on my own.

Hit 39 in early March, and decided that I wanted to pursue some weight loss goals over the next year.
3/2/2011 - 187.9 pounds
3/2/2012 - goal is 165 pounds, a weight I haven't seen since my freshman or sophomore year of college.

11/12/2001 - weight in at 164.6. So 3.5 months ahead of schedule on hitting the goal weight. Down 23 pounds in 8.5 months. Lost 2-3 inches off my waist. Made gradual, but fairly significant changes to the way that I eat in terms of portion control.

I'm generally pretty happy with how I look in mirror, although I'm now telling myself that I could get down to 155 and 30" jeans. I'm just now getting back into something that borderline resembles an exercise routine after several months of largely ignoring that part of the weight loss process. It will be interesting to see where this levels out, and at some point I may want to mix in some weight lifting to try and add more muscle. But that point is probably off in the fairly distant future, since right now work/family + running feels like a pretty full plate.

Anyway, just wanted to share that I had hit my goal weight. I've been in countdown mode for a couple of days now and I'm glad to have finally accomplished it.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #1431
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Well done hoopsguy! That has to feel super to reach your goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
way to go man!! You can do it (as it sounds like you know!)

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm do know that I can, but I'm far less sure that I will, which is one of the reasons I'm posting here -- accountability.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #1432
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It all started after my wife and I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix. I'm not going to bore you with the details of this documentary, you can read about it here: IMDb

The next day, we set out on our own 10-day cleanse. Armed with a shiny new Jack Lalanne juicer and a shopping cart full of strawberries, kale, oranges, cucumbers, watermelon, spinach, grapes, celery, and tons and tons of apples, we began our journey of the juice.

24 hours later, we craved a burger and gave in.

But we didn't give up. After all, what are we going to do with all this produce? So we compromised. Juice only for dinner, and enjoy solid foods for breakfast and lunch. Any juice left over from that evening, bottle it and take to work to drink throughout the day. This became a great alternative to sodas at work.

This plan has worked for us for two and a half weeks already. Except for that first couple of days (and that hiccup from last weekend), we don't really think twice about juicing for dinner. There's no craving for anything else. Sure, if I have to prepare our lunch for the next day, the smell is wonderful and tempting, but we've always gone to the juicer.

If anyone here dares to try this, I'd like to hear your stories.

We started juicing back in June of this year after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. We haven't done it as often as we used to because it can get expensive, but I really, REALLY love the Green Lemonade.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #1433
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Antmeister and I have been incorporating more juices into our diet. By juices I mean juicing fruits and veggies. We've been having a Green Lemonade for the past few days. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

Green Lemonade

Makes 1 serving

1 head romaine or celery
5 or 6 stalks kale (any type)
1 to 2 apples (Fuji is the best)
1 whole lemon
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (optional)

Process the vegetables through the juicer by admitting one vegetable at a time through the mouth of the juicer. The fiber will shoot out of the juicer into one container while the spout will eject the fresh juice into another container. Pour into a large glass and drink! The lemon really cuts out the ‘green’ taste that most people try to avoid.

We tried celery and it had a crazy celery aftertaste. Tried it with lettuce this morning and it's MUCH better.

So yummm.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #1434
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This week was somewhat of a challenge. It had a bit of everything -- sometimes I was unusually hungry, others I didn't feel like eating at all, sometimes within the same day. I had some unusually strong cravings, and got up a bit late on Thursday, almost missing my daily cardio.

Wednesday I was quite sore, enough that I was going to back off a bit for a few days, but then felt much better the rest of the week so I didn't have to do that. All in all very good execution, but it was more difficult than the other weeks have been to stay on program. Felt more like work at times.

By the Numbers

Weight: 316.2(-1.5, -16.8 overall)
Pushups: 2 max(-1), 70 knee reps(-11)
Crunches: 9 max(-1), 53 reps(+8)
Squats: 14 max(-2), 112 reps(+10)
Cardio: 12.43 mi.(+1.53), approx. 2270 cal.(+280), 150 max HR(--)
New Year's Goal: 300(16.2 lbs in 7 weeks to go)

As can be seen, mixed results this week for the first time. Rough week for pushups, which tend to stall every so often. Still definitely a step forward overall, but it doesn't feel as good as when everything is clicking.

Had some soreness and aches in unusual places this week, it's like the support muscles are starting to get stressed more. Bottom line though is that I put in good work again.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #1435
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool - way to go Brian!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #1436
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Congrats hoopsguy on hitting your goal! And good job Brian on getting through that tough week.

10/26 - 228.4
10/31 - 227.4
11/4 - 224.6
11/7 - 227.8
11/11 - 224.8
11/14 - 225.6

As expected, the Pacquiao fight party was filled with many temptations, and I gave in that night, having a couple slices of thin crust pizza an soda. But the results weren't as bad as the prior weekend's binge.

Tonight I'll try out DC's Green Lemonade recipe.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #1437
Ksyrup

Quote:
11/12/2001 - weight in at 164.6. So 3.5 months ahead of schedule on hitting the goal weight. Down 23 pounds in 8.5 months. Lost 2-3 inches off my waist. Made gradual, but fairly significant changes to the way that I eat in terms of portion control.

I'm generally pretty happy with how I look in mirror, although I'm now telling myself that I could get down to 155 and 30" jeans. I'm just now getting back into something that borderline resembles an exercise routine after several months of largely ignoring that part of the weight loss process. It will be interesting to see where this levels out, and at some point I may want to mix in some weight lifting to try and add more muscle. But that point is probably off in the fairly distant future, since right now work/family + running feels like a pretty full plate.

Anyway, just wanted to share that I had hit my goal weight. I've been in countdown mode for a couple of days now and I'm glad to have finally accomplished it.

Nice! I did the same thing, getting down as low as 152 at one point. I think it was too low for me to maintain. I definitely enjoyed fitting into 31" pants, though. I think I'm going to stick around mid-160s this time. I think. Once I get there, my guess is I'll want to continue (mainly because, as I said when I started this, I'm great at losing and gaining weight, and if I keep losing, I can push off the maintaining part that much longer).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #1438
hoopsguy
General Manager

Note from the weekend - I worked more or less non-stop for two straight weekends so decided to take my wife/daughter out for dinner at Giordano's (deep dish pizza) on Sunday night.

Deep dish pizza and beer are no good for weight loss. Time to get back to 165. That is all
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #1439
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Dodgerchick - I just had the Green Lemonade. Yeah... that totally rocks.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #1440
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dodgerchick - I just had the Green Lemonade. Yeah... that totally rocks.

Yeah! Glad you liked it Did you try it with celery or lettuce?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #1441
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

I absolutely cannot have pizza, not even thin crust cuz I can easily eat half of one.. no joke.

The scale has gone up, but I've lost some inches... makes no sense because I haven't gone to the gym in over 2 weeks :-o
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #1442
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Yeah! Glad you liked it Did you try it with celery or lettuce?
I used lettuce. I'm not a big fan of the celery aftertaste either - even if I use just one stalk, I can still taste it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #1443
Ksyrup

9/19 - 203.2
9/26 - 198.6
10/3 - 196.8
10/12 - 193.6
10/19 - 192.0
10/26 - 190.6
11/02 - 188.4
11/09 - 186.6
11/16 - 183.6

NOW we're rolling! Just a half-pound from my interim goal of 20 pounds by Thanksgiving. I hope I have another strong week going into Thanksgiving, as I'll be headed to my parents' for several days and will no doubt be tempted by my mom's cooking. At least it won't be a full week.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #1444
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Great job Ksyrup!

I hadn't thought of setting personal goals when I started juicing. So I figure I'll do it now. Before the end of the calendar year, my goal is to go down to 210 lbs. Then my next goal is to go under 200 lbs by my birthday on 1/29. That would be about 34 lbs since starting my juicing plan in late October.

I don't think I can accomplish this by juicing alone, so my must start incorporating some exercise into the program. Let's start with walking.

I've had a pedometer laying around the house for a long time, and I decided to finally put it to good use. Tuesday, I counted 5100 steps, and that was for a typical workday and evening. I plan to take 10,000 steps at least three times a week. I'll document this as well on my weekly updates. I'll slowly incorporate other types of exercise along the way and record them here.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #1445
Ksyrup

Quote:
Great job Ksyrup!

I hadn't thought of setting personal goals when I started juicing.

Start small - like, 74 HRs in one season.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #1446
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Woo! I'm still losing a little apparently, now that I'm done with the busy part of fall and back into a controlled environment.

175.4 this morning (-87 lbs). That's officially the lightest I've been since the summer after HS. And that was after I lost 40lbs that summer. So this is the lightest I've been probably since I was probably 15/16 or something.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-17-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #1447
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Awesomely done DaddyT and KS!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #1448
Ksyrup

Phenomenal, DT!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #1449
corbes
College Benchwarmer

A lot of positive stuff happening here. I like it.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #1450
AnalBumCover
College Starter

10/22 - 233.6
10/26 - 228.4
10/31 - 227.4
11/4 - 224.6
11/7 - 227.8
11/11 - 224.8
11/14 - 225.6
11/18 - 224.2

Fridays will be my official weigh-in, with Monday (in gray) as the post-weekend check.

Minimal weightloss from last Friday, but modest from the Monday check-in. I'm at my lightest since I started the program, so I'm happy about that.

My pedometer recorded a total of 15,400 steps this week since I started counting on Tuesday, with a high of 5,200 on Thursday - nowhere close to the 10,000 steps three times a week goal.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 11-18-2011 at 08:44 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote