Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Holiday Gift Ideas Thread

Doesn't everyone, at some level, have those hard-to-shop-for people? We're a community, we can do this. Post your ideas and recommendations for gifts that might be a good solution to your friends in this predicament. Items you personally endorse, things you have received and loved, and the like.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just to pre-empt a few obvious tangents:

-Yes, we understand that gift giving is inherently imperfect, that cash or gift cards are better, and that people disagree about the propriety of this. Take that elsewhere.

-Yes, we understand that there's a lovely restaurant down in your neighborhood of Lake Charles or whatnot that serves a wonderful creme brulee. Please understand that practicality is important for this discussion.

-Yes, we understand that people shop in different price ranges for different needs, and that there are complicated matters of family politics, societal etiquette, and so forth involved. Again, take that elsewhere.

-reserved for future use

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-19-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Creepy Furbys are making a comeback this year!
Amazon.com: Furby, Teal: Toys & Games

Wait- not the intent of the thread?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Elmo knows my name.

Seriously, good thread, I'll keep my eye out.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
JPhillips
General Manager

A high quality 8" cooking knife.

I don't even cook a lot, but my Global knife is my favorite present over the last five years. That one knife will do almost anything to need to do in the kitchen.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife is always big on food gifts whereas I'm a bit more for tangible items. However, I like food, too, so it's not a bad thing so much as preference.

One thing that gets pretty good reception across the board seems to be food gifts from your travels. For instance, a lot of my family loves chocolate and we went to San Francisco a couple of years ago. We came back with a crapload of Ghirardelli, customized for participant: i.e. mom likes dark chocolate so got her some of the 70%+, etc. It shows you're thinking about them even when you're out and away and I think that resonates with people. We did this with Frango one year and if we went to Hershey, it'd be the same thing.

In general, gifts from traveling abroad seem to be popular but I think disposable (food, usable items) are better than hard goods unless it's something the person needed. For instance, we brought back pasta from Italy and this went over well. Or, if someone you know likes leather, get a bag from one of the fashion districts, etc. But it's hard to get things that people are more particular about because their tastes are different than yours. Also, I've seen some awkwardness with bringing back some sort of trinkety item. Giving my grandmother an angel figure from the Vatican = good, since she has some place to put it. Giving a random person a random trinket just to get them something just would be awkward: "Say, did you get that when you were in France?" "I've never been to France but some friend gave this to me" -awkward silence-

SI

Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
JPhillips
General Manager

I also like small batch bourbon as a gift.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A high quality 8" cooking knife.

I don't even cook a lot, but my Global knife is my favorite present over the last five years. That one knife will do almost anything to need to do in the kitchen.

I am a really big kitchen knife enthusiast. Used to swear by an outfit from Ohio, but they seem to have cashed in on their good name and lowered their quality. Sad. Now I'm big into Shun - which for these purposes fits best into the category of "get someone an expensive upgrade to something they surely already own." At $150 or more a pop, they aren't what you'd buy for a casual recipient... But they are tremendous knives.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a great, appealing, and affordable gift for someone who is into kitchen stuff

Misto Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer,Brushed Aluminum: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

A wonderful kids book, with a nice message. Suitable for ages about 3+. Uses the word "poop" and has a holistic sort of moral/message, so it may not be suitable for all audiences, but it's great otherwise.

Go To Sleep,Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale: Margaret Read MacDonald: 9780874837803: Amazon.com: Books
Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

I think this is a pretty solid catch-all gift.

They are Cast Iron Grill Grates. Many people do not pay attention when they buy their grill to get one that has cast iron, or it's just too expensive.

These slide right on top of your existing grates and are pretty friggin' awesome. I've had them for about two years now.:

https://www.mangrate.com/offers/offe...linksourceID=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

In the same mold as the other kitcheny gadgets. I got this about a year ago and absolutely love it. People use pepper mills all the time, but I've found when a recipe calls for a teaspoon or more a legacy pepper mill just takes too much time or elbow grease. Enter this puppy, which we use everyday:

Amazon.com: Trudeau Graviti Battery-Operated Pepper Mill, Black: Kitchen & Dining
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I think this is a pretty solid catch-all gift.

They are Cast Iron Grill Grates. Many people do not pay attention when they buy their grill to get one that has cast iron, or it's just too expensive.

These slide right on top of your existing grates and are pretty friggin' awesome. I've had them for about two years now.:

https://www.mangrate.com/offers/offe...linksourceID=1

How many different packages did you end up buying? I've considered getting them, but I think I'd need like 5 or 6 packages, which is kind of expensive.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fancy candies always make a good gift.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How many different packages did you end up buying? I've considered getting them, but I think I'd need like 5 or 6 packages, which is kind of expensive.

I have a fairly standard 3 burner gas grill.

I need one package (2 grates) per burner. I actually have one burner without them for now, haven't gone back to get another since generally I'm not cooking that much and I just use that burner for my vegetable basket, etc.

But yeah one package per burner seems to be about right for most grills.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh. Ok. I frankly don't find their site to be very informative, at least when I visited previously. Most grills are probably 3 burners, if they said "most people need 3packs-$60" I'd be more likely to order. I thought I was getting one 4" slab for $20
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
corbes
College Benchwarmer

An immersion blender (Cuisinart, $35). My friends had one and talked endlessly about it. I thought it looked stupid and gimmicky. They gave me one as a present. I gave it a chance, and now use it ALL THE TIME. It is much easier to use than either a food processor or a blender for most purposes.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Oh. Ok. I frankly don't find their site to be very informative, at least when I visited previously. Most grills are probably 3 burners, if they said "most people need 3packs-$60" I'd be more likely to order. I thought I was getting one 4" slab for $20

I'm assuming it's packed the same way It was when I got it.

$20 seems like the price for one 4" slab? Maybe they've changed their packaging.

Busy today, but let me double check the site before you order anything.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

We really enjoy Ferrari Olive Oils as a nice kitchen related gift.

Very solid basic oils and vinegars, but also some really unique and good flavors. On the oils side, we like the basil and the lemon pepper. On the vinegar side, the black walnut goes great with a burrata salad, and the Bergamont Orange Lime is fantastic.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think that since we've pretty much all come up with things in the kitchen or involving cooking (with one exception), that we're just a bunch of fatasses

SI

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe buying someone a microwave is 20years past style(30years?)

http://www.sears.com/productdetails....ears_productpg

I have this guy and it's pretty sweet. All summer you can use the oven instead of having to heat up the house. Pretty solid microwave on top. Does good on the frozen pizza. Would be sweet for a downstairs bar type area.

Last edited by stevew : 09-20-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
Raiders Army
Coordinator

My brother was very hard to find a great present, but here are two that were touchdowns:

The tandem jump is the cheapest (without video): Skydiving.com Gift Certificates - Surprise them Now!
$249. FWIW, in most places a tandem jump requires very little training and if you solo it, it's usually at least two days of training.

Bobblehead: I used this website and the results were pretty good: Custom Bobbleheads
The problem is getting a side head shot of someone. Most pictures you usually have of someone are from the front only. This will run you about $100.

The past couple of years I've gotten my employees some gifts:

Fake scratch off lottery tickets: Fake lottery tickets, fake lottery tickets, gag lottery tickets

Screaming Monkeys: Slingshot Flying Monkey | Slingshot Animals

This year, I'm going a little more expensive and I'm getting baseball cards made of them with the years they've served and the positions they've been in. http://www.mytradingcards.com/produc...2&cattid=59096
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #23
StLee
High School Varsity

For the sports fan, it's hard to go wrong with sports memorabilia. I've never bought myself a jersey, but I got a Brees jersey from my parents last Christmas and loved it.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a badass gift that I could only wish someone would buy for me:

Randall Made Knives

Disclaimer:

Quote:
*****Important--Please Read Before Ordering****** Current order deliveries are being scheduled for delivery in 54 MONTHS, year 2017.

Randall order limit is a single knife every three months per household. Effective November 1, 2007, extra features are limited to five chargeable features per knife. We strongly recommend obtaining the catalog to view all features before placing an order. Model and feature change orders are limited and there is a charge for change orders. A deposit of US$50.00 per knife is required to place an order. Deposits are not transferable and non-refundable. Credit card user name must match the individual's name placing the order. Shipping charges are determined by Randall Made Knives in the year of delivery. Mimimum age to order is 16 years old.

Online Catalog

And the model I think I'd go for, myself:
Online Catalog

So, in the event you have read this far... you heard that right. $50 down now as a nonrefundable down payment on a knife you'd then get to pay $500 for in 2017.

Awesome gift idea for a niche audience, obviously.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Almost five years for delivery? Might as well just pick it up, and maybe avoid shipping fees, too.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Bobble
College Prospect

Mrs. Bobble is into candles as I think many chicks are. I've gotten her candles as an add-on gift but she'd probably just as soon pick out her own. I've been holding this card up my sleeve for the future: candle shadow casters. Relatively inexpensive, permanent, not something you get every day.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
JPhillips
General Manager

QS: Have you seen this guy's knives? Sunday Morning ran a story on him a while ago.

http://kramerknives.com/

edit: Sorry, image too big. Just check out the gallery at the website.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-21-2012 at 03:56 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
QuikSand
lolzcat

Serious stuff. Looks like he teamed up with Shun on a series.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
QuikSand
lolzcat

While this isn't exactly the sweet spot in the Shun lineup, this is a great price and would make a nice gift:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...ing-knife-set/
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Men Shaving Kits, After Shave & Men’s Grooming Supplies - ClassicShaving.com

Some of the stuff here looks like it would be great for a dude. Lots of fancy old school shaving products.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
korme
Go Reds

Well I'm 3 days out from my brother's birthday and drawing blanks. This thread is all about knives.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #32
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Remote control helicopters. Can find them in every price range, from $20 to actual hobby-level monsters. Have had good luck with those with people I don't really know.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

Since this is the thread that veered into knife territory... recently got a full size knife from this outfit. It's tremendous. My sharpener told me it's the equal of the Masamoto that someone else local brings to him occasionally - and that one is a 4-5K item.

CUT BROOKLYN
Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #34
dadico
n00b

Why not consider custom bobbleheads? I made two bobbleheads for my cute kids, it's really simple, you can make it with just one photo.
dadico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:05 AM   #35
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

you know what, this is a quality bump. you win, dadico. well done.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

I wonder if anyone got their knives is 2017?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #37
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
you know what, this is a quality bump. you win, dadico. well done.

Kids actually got me a personalized bobblehead. Good gag gift IMO, still have it in my office.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #38
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I wonder if anyone got their knives is 2017?

I have occasionally thought about this, too...
Old 10-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

...anyone pacing the floors awaiting their second order from Randall?
Old 10-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #40
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
...anyone pacing the floors awaiting their second order from Randall?

I admire your dedication to thread necromancy.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Randall Made Knives has an extended delivery time. Your deposit will hold the next available production spot which is approximately a FIVE (5) to SIX (6) year wait. Please contact us prior to making an order if you have any questions. Your deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Now we're up to a 5-6 year wait. No one is immune to supply chain issues

SI

Old 10-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #42
Izulde
Head Coach

What happens if you literally die waiting for your knives?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote