Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #201
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
End of the year at the latest is about 9 months earlier than I was expecting it. So, that's something.

Well, delivery is one thing. I don't know how long his editors take with it, or how long rewrites take, but I guess it's progress and I'll always take that.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #202
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

YAY! End of year is very good .
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #203
Vince
Pro Starter

Woohoo!
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #204
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
DARNIT, HOW CAN HE TORTURE US SO!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I also have other news about A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. A couple of things, actually, that I think will please and excite fans of the series. Unfortunately, I can't talk about them yet. Watch my News page, though. I should have a few big announcements in the next few months.

What the heck is that? How can he give us something THAT tempting and just be so casual about it?!?!?!

/tk

I am guessing a movie deal or maybe a TV series based on the the Fire and Ice books probably on the SciFi Channel. Hope.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-30-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:30 PM   #205
wade moore
lolzcat

Glad you bumped this...

I need to read this thread as I just finished the 4th book about a week ago.. so I read all four in about 4 months with another book or two in the middle, that's REALLY fast for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #206
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Screw Sci-Fi, but it on TNT, so it'll be on High-Def .
Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #207
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I am guessing a movie deal or maybe a TV series based on the the Fire and Ice books probably on the SciFi Channel. Hope.

I'd love the TV series, but it would have to be on HBO. Can't have ASOIAF without the swearing and the incest, after all.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #208
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was thinking along similar lines, a TV series/mini-series or something like that. I don't know. It would be hard to imagine something like that, especially since the series isn't over yet and wont likely be for quite... some... time.

Maybe it's a computer game. He's hinted at that a few times before during interviews.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:58 PM   #209
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

RPG!

Though hopefully not a MMORPG!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #210
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
RPG!

Though hopefully not a MMORPG!

Yes. Definitely not a MMORPG.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-01-2006, 12:00 AM   #211
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

I would love to see some sort of RPG/Tactical warfare type game. Oh baby!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #212
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It'd be great if it was an RPG of something like a Dunk & Egg story... something completely out of the current timeline of the books (I guess kind of KOTOR was to the Star Wars movies).
Old 07-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It'd be great if it was an RPG of something like a Dunk & Egg story... something completely out of the current timeline of the books (I guess kind of KOTOR was to the Star Wars movies).

Hmm... I think you could be on to something Squiddi-man!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #214
cschex
High School Varsity

That's an awesome idea. A tactical wargame based on the Blackfyre Rebellion would be incredible, imo. Or maybe a campaign game with Aegon the Conqueror.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #215
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Interesting speculation. There is already a board game based on the series, which is a very good one, and they have a lot of background to draw on for any kind of game.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #216
Galaril
Pro Starter

A fascinating interview with George.
http://a1018.g.akamai.net/f/1018/190...nInterview.mp3

Last edited by Galaril : 07-30-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #217
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Galaril... I'm listening to it now .
Old 07-30-2006, 11:04 PM   #218
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Good to hear, Martin won't sell out for a FPS video game and would rather prefer a strategic one and wants the right partner.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #219
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah I was glad to here him mention a possible strategy game as well as some info on the future books in the series.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-04-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #220
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
A fascinating interview with George.
http://a1018.g.akamai.net/f/1018/190...nInterview.mp3

Thanks for sharing that interview. I quite enjoyed listening to it (finally!) today while waiting for my computer to stop being slow at work (I was listening to it on my iPod, so it's not like I was DIRECTLY slowing down my computer ).

I'd love to see an RPG or RTS game based on this series (and that's saying something, as I am generally not a fan of RTS games). I know they have the board game, which is quite akin to Risk. I always thought GRRM was a Brit, was funny when I realized he wasn't.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #221
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Screw Sci-Fi, but it on TNT, so it'll be on High-Def .

gah, NO, TNT is awful, their utter incompetance when it comes to editing for television would leave this magnificent story in ashes.

Let Sci-Fi do an ongoing mini-series, 2-3 hours per episode so they can do the entire storyline of the books. It would be epic and I would schedule my life around the airings of new episodes.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #222
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I believe there is a card game as well.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #223
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
I believe there is a card game as well.

There is. I considered picking it up back when it came out, but then I saw the Ned Stark card and he looked more like "The Lord of the Dance" than The Lord of Winterfell, so I passed. It was a gut reaction and perhaps a bit quick as there is some fine art in the set. Still, it was a wise decision. I have no business getting into another card game.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #224
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
gah, NO, TNT is awful, their utter incompetance when it comes to editing for television would leave this magnificent story in ashes.

Let Sci-Fi do an ongoing mini-series, 2-3 hours per episode so they can do the entire storyline of the books. It would be epic and I would schedule my life around the airings of new episodes.

this would be worse than TNT.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #225
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I was thinking along similar lines, a TV series/mini-series or something like that. I don't know. It would be hard to imagine something like that, especially since the series isn't over yet and wont likely be for quite... some... time.

I've thought about this a lot and I just don't think it'd be feasible to do any sort of television or movie version of this series and have it turn out well. It's too complex, there are too many characters, and so much of the meaty/cool stuff of these books are the intricacies between the characters, the plots, the small scenes. It's really hard to capture that well in tv or film. That's one of the big reasons why I don't think any film/tv adaptation of "Dune" has ever been close at capturing the coolness of the book. And "A Song of Fire & Ice" is about 10,000x's more intricate and complex than "Dune".
Old 08-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #226
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I've thought about this a lot and I just don't think it'd be feasible to do any sort of television or movie version of this series and have it turn out well. It's too complex, there are too many characters, and so much of the meaty/cool stuff of these books are the intricacies between the characters, the plots, the small scenes. It's really hard to capture that well in tv or film. That's one of the big reasons why I don't think any film/tv adaptation of "Dune" has ever been close at capturing the coolness of the book. And "A Song of Fire & Ice" is about 10,000x's more intricate and complex than "Dune".

On this point I must agree with you, I adore Dune and its entire world, but neither the movie or the extended mini-series of it were more than average in how they handled things.

I think it could be done, but I think it would take a seriously amaxing screenwriter and a collaboration of a number of top directors to pull it off.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #227
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
this would be worse than TNT.

Not really, the production would be better and the lack of "flash in the corner" advertising DURING the broadcast would be worth it.

TNT is a terrible terrible network.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #228
Galaril
Pro Starter

Here is a great site with a ton of art work which I belive some is from the card game and also from other artists including the site owner.

http://amoka.net/eng/gal/
Old 08-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #229
Edward64
Head Coach

I would love to see this series picked up by HBO (10-12 episodes for 1-2 seasons). There's probably not enough mass market appeal for the regular tv stations, but HBO might be able to do it justice.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sci-Fi = no HDTV

TNT = HDTV

TNT wins.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #231
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I would love to see this series picked up by HBO (10-12 episodes for 1-2 seasons). There's probably not enough mass market appeal for the regular tv stations, but HBO might be able to do it justice.

HBO is also a great choice .
Old 08-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #232
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Not really, the production would be better and the lack of "flash in the corner" advertising DURING the broadcast would be worth it.

TNT is a terrible terrible network.

If it's a regular series, I'll give it a chance on sci-fi.
But movie and\or mini-series, and it's TNT all the way.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #233
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

GRRM has already said that there's no way there will ever be a movie made of the books. If there is going to be a series, it has to be on HBO. They are the only ones who can even come close to capturing the books on screen.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #234
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
If it's a regular series, I'll give it a chance on sci-fi.
But movie and\or mini-series, and it's TNT all the way.
Another couple reasons for HBO

(1) I want to see all the gore and bloodshed in bright red
(2) I want the adult situations in the book to be portrayed (ex. incest)
Old 08-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another couple reasons for HBO

(2) I want the adult situations in the book to be portrayed (ex. incest)

ummm yeah. not that i don't want to see the books portrayed accurately, but i might not have picked this as my example of the adult situations!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #236
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
ummm yeah. not that i don't want to see the books portrayed accurately, but i might not have picked this as my example of the adult situations!
Yeah, you're probably right ... but the sibling incest is a central theme in the books and is an example of what TNT, Sci-Fi channels would not be able to portray properly (ex. without alot of backlash).
Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right ... but the sibling incest is a central theme in the books and is an example of what TNT, Sci-Fi channels would not be able to portray properly (ex. without alot of backlash).

true true
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #238
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

BTW, I was in a bookstore yesterday and saw there is a d20 roleplaying game source book written for this series, with GRRM blessings and help.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 PM   #239
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
BTW, I was in a bookstore yesterday and saw there is a d20 roleplaying game source book written for this series, with GRRM blessings and help.

It won some RPG award at GenCon a few weeks ago. I think, perhaps, best new RPG or some such. I bought it a while back. It's cool to have, but the only drawback is that it doesn't really give you too much more information than the books. I was really hoping for a much more detailed sourcebook with more maps and the like, but the book didn't deliver.

Oh yes, and the company the published the book went out of business a couple of months ago.

It could be a really fun setting for a RPG.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #240
GrantDawg

Quote:
It won some RPG award at GenCon a few weeks ago. I think, perhaps, best new RPG or some such. I bought it a while back. It's cool to have, but the only drawback is that it doesn't really give you too much more information than the books. I was really hoping for a much more detailed sourcebook with more maps and the like, but the book didn't deliver.

Oh yes, and the company the published the book went out of business a couple of months ago.

It could be a really fun setting for a RPG.

I read the intro and you could tell the company was about to go under. I would love to game in that setting.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #241
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is very cool. I've been waiting for something along these lines for a long, long time. . . (and by the sound if it, I will continue to wait for some time).

BANTAM TO PUBLISH THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE
September 2, 2006
I've had readers writing and emailing me for years asking for some sort of "encyclopedia" or concordance for Westeros and the world of A Song of Ice and Fire, so it thrills me no end to announce that a few hours ago I signed a contract with Bantam Books for just such a companion book. We're calling it The World of Ice and Fire. . . mainly because The World of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is too long and cumbersome to put on a cover, and way clunky besides.
The "world book" will be a big undertaking, and much too complicated for me to tackle alone, especially since I have this novel still to finish (you know the one), but I've been lucky enough to find some splendid help in persons of Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and Linda Antonsson., who will be my co-authors on the project. Elio (sometimes known as "Ran") and Linda are the hosts and webmasters at Westeros.org, with its terrific concordance and colorful rolls of arms, and I have long had the feeling that both of them know a lot more about the Seven Kingdoms than I do.
With the ink not quite dry on the contracts yet, I can't tell you much about the contents of The World of Ice and Fire, but we do know that it will include a lengthy section on the history of the Seven Kingdoms, and a "who's who" of characters past and present, living, dead, and legendary. Heraldry and genealogy will also be included. Oh, and maps. Lots of maps. You asked for them, and we're going to give to them to you.
This will be a large and splendid coffee-table sized book, with full color throughout and artwork on every page. Some of the illustrations will, of necessity, be reprinted from among the best of the work seen in the art book, the card game, the board game, the RPG, and various books and comics, but a lot of it will be original, commissioned especially for the world book. More details when we have them.
As for the rest of the contents... we want to know what you would like to see in an encyclopedia/ concordance/ companion book. However, PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME your suggestions. What you should do instead is go to the bulletin board that Elio and Linda maintain at Westeros.org and post your ideas there. This book is for the fans, so tell us what should be in it.
There's no way to project a firm publication date at this time, but my best guess is that The World of Ice and Fire will be released in late 2007 or early 2008, after A Dance With Dragons but before The Winds of Winter.

(And yes, this was one of the "secret projects" that I referred to in some earlier news stories and on my live journal. It has been in the works for some time, but I don't like to announce projects until contracts are signed. Watch this page for news about the other "secret projects," when the time is ripe to announce them).
Old 09-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #242
aran
High School Varsity

That is goddamn incredible. I can't wait!
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #243
GrantDawg

BTW, guys. I found out at Dragoncon this weekend that Robert Jordan is dieing. He has some rare form of lukemia, and it is just a matter of time.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #244
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I read this about Jordan a couple of months ago. That's really sad news. I'm not a fan of his work, but I hate to see anyone go out like that.

As for GRRM, I'm a bit surprised by this announcement. Not that I'm not happy, mind you, it's just that a couple of years ago he said that he didn't have detailed notes about the back-story of Westeros and kind of made it up as he went. He said that was one of the reasons it was taking so long to write the books because he had to keep going back and checking over what he had already written to make sure he didn't mess stuff up. Maybe he changed that since then. Either way, I'm glad it's coming out.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #245
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
I read this about Jordan a couple of months ago. That's really sad news. I'm not a fan of his work, but I hate to see anyone go out like that.

As for GRRM, I'm a bit surprised by this announcement. Not that I'm not happy, mind you, it's just that a couple of years ago he said that he didn't have detailed notes about the back-story of Westeros and kind of made it up as he went. He said that was one of the reasons it was taking so long to write the books because he had to keep going back and checking over what he had already written to make sure he didn't mess stuff up. Maybe he changed that since then. Either way, I'm glad it's coming out.

It is sad about Jordan. Really a shame.

As for this book, GRRM has said he hasn't kept detailed notes, not because such things didn't exist, but that he kept it all in his head (scary thought). I don't think he's changed at all.

If you've checked out the website he refers to -- westeros.org -- you'll see he doesn't have to keep detailed notes. His fans are keeping them for him. The resources on the web for these books are immense and well detailed. No stone goes unturned. These folks, and thousands of other fans, have done a lot of work compiling all this information from all the books in the series, the Dunk & Egg books, and interviews with GRRM.

It really sounds like (based on his comment about not emailing him) this book is not something he'll be putting together. He'll obviously have the final "say" in everything that goes into the book, but I imagine a lot of work will be done by the publishers and the uber-fans and those who run the website(s).
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #246
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The latest update from Martin (from his "Not a Blog"). It comes as no surprise really:

Bad news. Work. None of the projects I wrapped up was A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Work has been going well, yes, but not especially on DANCE. I am not going to be able to finish it by the end of the year as I had hoped.

I know this will disappoint all of you. Many of you will write me sympathetic and supportive emails (and I do appreciate those, even if I don't have the time to reply). A few of you will write me nasty, intemperate emails about how I'm doing this all just to screw my readers. Sigh. My editors, agents, and publishers will be even more disappointed than my readers, but no one will be as disappointed as me. Believe that or not. All I can say is that I HAVE gotten several other obligations off my plate, that my contractor swears in blood that the home renovations will be finished soon so I can have my office back again, that I'm working on DANCE and I will continue to work on it. What I will no longer due, however, is announce any more dates by which I hope to finish and deliver the book. All that those estimates ever seem to do is ratchet up my stress levels and get me more grief. I hope it won't be taking much longer... I have almost two months at home before my next scheduled trip, to Boston and NYC in February, and one thing that has become very clear to me is that the more I travel, the less I get written. (And speaking of Boston and NYC, do I perchance have any fans out there in New Haven, Connecticut?) I have even thought about cancelling my annual trip to Boston and New York, though I am reluctant to take that step, since that is usually the only time of the year that I get to see my family in New Jersey.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #247
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damn... but I thought this was going to happen. Martin seems to have too much other stuff on his plate! Clear it off, George and work on ADWD!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #248
cschex
High School Varsity

GRRM has always gone to a tone of cons and signings and readily admitted that he doesn't write well on teh road. I personally think he might just be a bit burnt out on ASOIAF, but I hope that isn't the case. If he's considering cancelling trips in Feb, it seems to me he's fairly close, just not enough that he will be done by the New Year. I do agree that he should stop saying when something will be done; that just leads to more anticipation and let-down.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #249
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I do agree that he should stop saying when something will be done; that just leads to more anticipation and let-down.

Don't let H.A. hear you say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #250
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Considering he hasn't been able to make previous promises regarding AFFC, this does not come as a surprise to me, though I hoped he would be able to make it regardless. It sounds like he'll be able to wrap it up in the next 4 or so months though which is good. I think he's also wise to make a more Jim-like policy on release dates of his future books.

So all in all, a little disappointing, but I'm glad he's near the finish line. The wait for book #6 is bound to be a rather long one so it's nice to have a shorter wait for this one.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote