Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
RedKingGold
College Starter

Golden Era Football League: The Story of Neil Lomax

January 1981

The first Super Bowl in GEFL History is tied at 31-31 at the start of overtime. The Birmingham Stallions and San Francisco 49er’s met in the heavyweight fight that spectators both at home and in the stands anticipated. Dan Fouts and Joe Montana were dodging defenders, completing unbelievable passes and standing up to mounting pressure. The Stallions opened the overtime period with a great defensive stand, pinning the young Montana and underdog 49er’s to their own 23 yard line at 3rd down and 17 yards to the first down marker. It looked as if Birmingham would get the ball back in great field position to give their kicker a shot to win the World Championship. Montana steps up to the line , reads the defense, audibles and snaps the ball before the defense can react.

He looks off his first read, receiver not open.

Quick checks his second read, he is being covered tightly by cornerback Tim Fox

His tight end is being smothered at the line

Pass rushers pursuing….he ducks one, and sees a glimpse of scarlet and white turning into his deep post.

At the last second, he heaves it towards WR Stanley Morgan in the middle of the field. It is a perfect throw.

Morgan catches it and hangs on for the brutal hit, giving the Niners the first down.

As the 49er's celebrate their 34-31 victory, I shut off my TV and close my eyes. I can see myself making similar plays in the Super Bowl and becoming a legend. Neil Lomax, Super Bowl MVP. It sounds beautiful just hearing that phrase resound in my head. It has been a long strange trip, but I am eager to start my professional football career. When I came out of high school, not one program offered me a scholarship to play collegiate football. Not just from the Division I level, but not even get a sniff from any Division II programs. I had been an excellent high school player, but did not supposedly have the talent to succeed at higher levels. It appeared that if I wanted to play, I would have to walk on or go to Division III. In late May 1977, I received a call from a recruiter from Portland State, a lower tiered Division II school. He said that Portland State could provide a partial athletic scholarship to be a scout team/emergency quarterback and provide depth to their team. It was the only offer I received and I heartily took it. Although it appeared that I had no shot of actually appearing in a game, I just wanted the chance and an opportunity.

It’s actually quite funny looking back at that time now. I beat out the other two freshman for the last active roster quarterback spot. But who would have known that both quarterbacks ahead of me on the depth chart would suffer injury before the season started? I had looked good in practice but had never thought I would have a chance to be a backup, let alone starter. My breakthrough came during the 3rd game of my freshman year. I completed 41 of an attempted 51 passes for 469 yards and six touchdowns. Everyone from the athletic director to the equipment manager knew that the job was mine. I can’t explain it, everything just happened to click for me. I'll never forget the feeling after that game, it was something that I'm not sure will ever be duplicated.

Four years have flown by and I am now a legend in Oregon. The coach opened up the offense for me after my freshman season and I felt more and more comfortable in my surroundings. I set 90 NCAA records including throwing seven touchdowns in a single quarter! I am getting ready for the Senior Bowl at the end of January and the Scouting Combine in the middle of the month. I know that these two dates will tell a lot to scouts and coaches of whether I am worthy of the high praise I receive. I plan not to disappoint.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 04-22-2006 at 03:14 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

I always was a Neil Lomax fan... neat concept.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'll be reading!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote