Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #151
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Boy, I don't listen to a lot of current top 40 stuff but that Blurred Lines song is just catchy as fuck.

totally agree
Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #152
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
This band might be up your alley.

Nice, thanks for the tip!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #153
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I like the new Vampire Weekend a great deal.

Sell me on it.

I bought it but listened once and went back to listening to 3-4 year old albums regularly. I'm willing, but need to hear why. (note: BOY! how things have changed for me personally in terms of this sort of thread).

I think the debut album is a top 20 all-time for me, but found the second to be tremendous tracks (horchata, white sky, taxi cab) mixed among the imminently forgettable (everything else).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #154
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
You'd probably like the Jason Isbell then. Also look for a band called Pickwick, they put out something earlier this year that you may like based on what you put down. I'll try to think of some others.

Took a listen to Pickwick. Sounds like Squeeze, and that's a ok with me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #155
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Boy, I don't listen to a lot of current top 40 stuff but that Blurred Lines song is just catchy as fuck.

Amazing that Robin Thicke is the son of the dad from Growing Pains

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tweeted a thought earlier that seems like it might fit in here.

I believe Pop Evil pretty much defines what the phrase "active rock" means today. First "Trenches", now "Deal With The Devil".

That's a combination of things, starting with how both satellite & terrestrial radio in the format have embraced them. Songs (especially the first single) have a killer hook, the energy level is good, they aren't afraid of their guitars. Beyond that, the whole notion of "defining" for me includes the realization that there isn't another niche/label that they seem to fit as well as this one. A7x, 5FDP, and dozens of others fit into the format with ease & are having success but a lot of them could be also fairly labeled as "metal" or "post-grunge" or even simply "rock".

So if you ever wondered wth the phrase "active rock" means, google up "Trenches", 'cause I believe that's the answer circa 2013.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #157
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Not surprising to hear how much better Lee Dewyze sounds once he got passed the overproduced AI stuff.

Lee Dewyze : An Acoustic Collection From Frames | Free Music Download
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #158
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lots of band squabbles out there today, it gets a little tiresome at times, the legal briefs for rock are getting to be like arrest stories for the sports page.

That said ... I honestly don't know how anyone could see/hear this & not feel as though the La Torre-fronted version of Queensryche isn't the real one. This is pretty ridiculously good stuff.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #159
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Sell me on it.

I bought it but listened once and went back to listening to 3-4 year old albums regularly. I'm willing, but need to hear why. (note: BOY! how things have changed for me personally in terms of this sort of thread).

I think the debut album is a top 20 all-time for me, but found the second to be tremendous tracks (horchata, white sky, taxi cab) mixed among the imminently forgettable (everything else).

First, I am a committed album listener. I buy by the album, I listen by the album, start to finish - both more than 90% of the time.

To me, it's a great sign if over time there's a drift in the tracks or sections of a given album that are my favorites. In my first few listens to the album, I found a few tracks pretty catchy by design, a few that seemed interesting, and a couple than seemed incomprehensible. After maybe 30 spins, I think my categories have completely changed, and I now really really like a few of the tracks that at first were on my sleepwalk set. To me, that's a pretty good sign that there's a lot of "there" there. At this point, I think I'd rate some of the nominal filler songs (Finger Back and Hudson in particular) as my favorites on the album.

Also, if you're in the genre, then you already get the sense of depth in their writing. This album has a good deal about religion and conflicts of faith (which I find an interesting subject to pry into) and while it's not a theme album in the true sense, there are some motifs that work well.

I sense you and I have pretty similar musical tastes. For me, after giving it a real shot, I'm preparing to place it into the top tier of albums from the alt genre from the last decade or so -- alongside some others like Illinoise and The Suburbs, and that is deliberately high praise.

I'd be shocked if you give it five more tries and still don't feel it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 08-20-2013 at 08:39 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #160
Butter
Coordinator

Only thing I don't like about it is that the opening track should clearly be the closing track, and I don't like the existing closer all that much. Agree that it is a very good album, but I'm not ready to put it on the level of The Suburbs.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #161
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Only thing I don't like about it is that the opening track should clearly be the closing track, and I don't like the existing closer all that much.

I can't disagree there. I think the first song is the weakest on the album, and I find it unsettling that "they" presumably didn't think so.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #162
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like I know where I'm going.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #163
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting acoustic take on a classic. One of three songs posted to Vevo a few days ago (She Wolf is probably even better unplugged)

Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #164
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

The fact that she is that pretty and still has some skills beyond just being good looking is awesome.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #165
frnk55
High School Varsity

Good Lord those are some nice jiggley boobs.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #166
Butter
Coordinator

Any opinions on the new Arcade Fire song? I like it so far, even if it is about 3 minutes too long.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This is a playlist that I don't update nearly as often as I'd like (or should) but it might be of some interest if you're tooling around Spotify.

It's basically a combination of rock songs (various niches) that are barely charting, just released singles and more obscure (but solid to great IMO) tracks that have less chance of ever getting U.S. airplay than I have of winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

Back Forty Wk of 9/10/13 by Jon Loveless on Spotify

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-12-2013 at 02:45 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #168
Grover
Pro Starter

AM, the fifth album from Arctic Monkeys is chronically on repeat two days after being released.

Absolutely brilliant. Might be their best overall album.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #169
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
AM, the fifth album from Arctic Monkeys is chronically on repeat two days after being released.

Absolutely brilliant. Might be their best overall album.

If I could hear any track other than "Do I Wanna Know" on the radio, that'd be great, thanks.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #170
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

DAMN

(and I guess she sang okay)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #171
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
If I could hear any track other than "Do I Wanna Know" on the radio, that'd be great, thanks.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

Maybe get ready for "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?". Shipped to U.K. radio as the 2nd single back in mid-August, went to #8 pretty quickly (even before the first single had died off).

I don't follow this stuff much but, from the looks of things, the first song here in the U.S. either hasn't peaked or isn't doing much radiowise. (sitting Alt #40, up from #44 last week, in the U.S.) Could be that they decide to kill the one you're tiring of in favor of a new one or it could be one of those that gets slow-played by radio & will only now start moving, in which case it'll still be getting increased spins all the way through Christmas.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #173
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

The unrated video for this on Vevo is quite possibly the best music video ever. Naked Emily Ratajkowski for the win.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My God.

Listening to the (presumably limited time) stream of the new Alter Bridge album "Fortress".

According to the timer I'm about 43 mins into a roughly hour long album and I'm near speechless. This is hands down the best album I've heard in damned if I know how long, and I haven't quite finished it yet.

It's just so ... complete. I'm virtually fucking speechless right now.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #175
HerRealName
College Prospect

A couple of new ones I like a lot...

Left Lane Cruiser - Rock Them Back to Hell - If you like older Black Keys, this is a good band to check out.

Possessed by Paul James - There Will be Nights When I'm Lonely - His previous work is mostly one man band stuff - acoustic guitar and foot stomps for percussion. He really shows off his musical ability on his new one.

Two Cow Garage - The Death of the Self Preservation Society - This is the album of the year so far for me. I love this band and this record. Highly recommended for fans of The Hold Steady, Deer Tick, etc.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #176
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Wolverine Lincoln!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Inaugural "Golden Penny Awards" posted tonight (and, to my amazement, got both a thank you AND a re-tweet from David Draiman)
2013 Golden Penny Awards | Jon's Three Cents

Annual Top 25 Albums list
2013 Albums of the Year | Jon's Three Cents
Old 12-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #178
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
First, I am a committed album listener. I buy by the album, I listen by the album, start to finish - both more than 90% of the time.

To me, it's a great sign if over time there's a drift in the tracks or sections of a given album that are my favorites. In my first few listens to the album, I found a few tracks pretty catchy by design, a few that seemed interesting, and a couple than seemed incomprehensible. After maybe 30 spins, I think my categories have completely changed, and I now really really like a few of the tracks that at first were on my sleepwalk set. To me, that's a pretty good sign that there's a lot of "there" there. At this point, I think I'd rate some of the nominal filler songs (Finger Back and Hudson in particular) as my favorites on the album.

Also, if you're in the genre, then you already get the sense of depth in their writing. This album has a good deal about religion and conflicts of faith (which I find an interesting subject to pry into) and while it's not a theme album in the true sense, there are some motifs that work well.

I sense you and I have pretty similar musical tastes. For me, after giving it a real shot, I'm preparing to place it into the top tier of albums from the alt genre from the last decade or so -- alongside some others like Illinoise and The Suburbs, and that is deliberately high praise.

I'd be shocked if you give it five more tries and still don't feel it.

Pitchfork places Modern Vampires of the City onto its best of the 2010s list at #6 of the decade.

Pitchfork's Best of the Year Over the Decade

That graphic, by the way, is fun...