Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

SNL / 40

That was tremendous. I don't think I expected to enjoy it so much.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
heybrad
Norm!!!

It was great although I'm not sure why Eddie Murphy even bothered to show up.

Some additional thoughts...

The Steve Martin opening monologue was spectacular.
The Californians went on way too long and Taylor Swift was particularly horrible in it. It was an odd mix of funny and awkward at the same time.
Eddie Murphy... See above. I was pumped for Eddie to do something... anything. It almost felt like he really didn't want to be there.
The Weekend Update segment was great. Jane Curtain hasn't lost a step.
Chevy Chase looked terrible. Like... be concerned about his health terrible.
The Jon Lovitz passed away thing was hilarious.
Mike Myers didn't seem like he had the energy to be Wayne anymore. Dana Carvey didn't miss a beat.
Paul McCartney was great, Miley was blah and Kanye was a bit odd.
Alec Baldwin was great as Tony Bennett in Jeopardy. Darrell Hammond was more of the same.
The audition tapes were really cool to see.

Last edited by heybrad : 02-16-2015 at 05:42 AM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
Comey
College Starter

I haven't seen it yet, will be watching on Hulu this morning (we tried to get the live stream, but it wouldn't let us watch it). I can imagine how awesome, and how surreal/painful (on a "passage of time" standpoint) to see the 50th anniversary show.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
Easy Mac

I found it weird hearing Chris Rock talk about how he grew up idolizing Eddie Murphy... when he's 3 years younger than Eddie.

We made it through about the first 2 hours or so. I feel like the writers think The Californians is funnier than the rest of America. I also was confused as to why Taylor Swift was playing a mentally challenged Russian girl.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
timmae
College Starter

I echo the sentiments on Murphy and Chase. I felt bad for Chevy although last night's performance was better than when he was on the today show a few months back. That was very painful to watch. Di Nero was painful as well.

The Lovitz gag was awesome... comedy at it's best!

I thought Seinfeld/David did well... liked the bit.

Who knew Keith Richards was still alive, lol.

Why did Martin and a few others get multiple sketches/monologues? I thought maybe they could have featured a few more people somehow.

Although the ensemble sketches were well done.

Wtf was George Lucas doing in the audience... surely there was a comedy veteran more suited to attend. Does he get a lifetime pass to everything for making a few decent movies?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
APC
Mascot

"I'll take Le Tits Now for 800."

I'm still busting up about the celebrity Jeopardy segment this morning.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
timmae
College Starter

Whore Ads, lol...
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I found it weird hearing Chris Rock talk about how he grew up idolizing Eddie Murphy... when he's 3 years younger than Eddie.

We made it through about the first 2 hours or so. I feel like the writers think The Californians is funnier than the rest of America. I also was confused as to why Taylor Swift was playing a mentally challenged Russian girl.

Because Eddie made it on SNL when he was so young, 19-20, so Rock in 1981 is 16. Makes perfect sense. That is the ideal age to start dreaming and idolizing role models.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I would love to watch all the audition videos in their entirety.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

First time I ever saw the show acknowledge Charles Rocket's existence.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'd pay good money to see a whole Paul McCartney/Paul Simon concert.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
It was great although I'm not sure why Eddie Murphy even bothered to show up.

Some additional thoughts...

The Steve Martin opening monologue was spectacular.
The Californians went on way too long and Taylor Swift was particularly horrible in it. It was an odd mix of funny and awkward at the same time.
Eddie Murphy... See above. I was pumped for Eddie to do something... anything. It almost felt like he really didn't want to be there.
The Weekend Update segment was great. Jane Curtain hasn't lost a step.
Chevy Chase looked terrible. Like... be concerned about his health terrible.
The Jon Lovitz passed away thing was hilarious.
Mike Myers didn't seem like he had the energy to be Wayne anymore. Dana Carvey didn't miss a beat.
Paul McCartney was great, Miley was blah and Kanye was a bit odd.
Alec Baldwin was great as Tony Bennett in Jeopardy. Darrell Hammond was more of the same.
The audition tapes were really cool to see.

I missed the first hour, but I agree with just about all of this from what I did see. I did not see the point in The Californians - one or two light chuckles, but otherwise just painful. The best thing about it was probably Spade at the end - "it was this or nothing."

Eddie...I feel like Eddie is that old QB/pitcher who just doesn't have it anymore. I'm sure he's still funny (loved him as Donkey), but watching him you almost hope that he doesn't try to be lest it be sad and painful if/when he's not. So, just wave to the camera and bow.

I also didn't quite get why they needed musical guests. McCartney and Simon, ok - especially Simon considering he was the second ever host. But Miley and Kanye? I feel like they could have fit in something else considering all the ex-cast they had to try to fit in.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought McCartney sounded awful.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #14
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Agreed. I dare not say anything in the presence of my GF last night while we watched the show, but he sounded horrible but of course got the applause. I am also not a huge fan of him or the Beatles and feel they are extremely overrated. Yes, I am fully aware I may be harassed now for that comment. I am prepared.

But he did sound just plain bad.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #15
Comey
College Starter

He played a surprise show the night before. I wonder if that's why.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
molson
General Manager

I really loved it, it was just an epic undertaking and they hit so many great notes. Not everything was great, of course, but that's always been part of the fun of SNL for me. When it's great it's a really unique great, when it misses, it's kind of fascinating to see why and how it goes off the rails. So for me, it was just about perfect.

I can't even imagine the background of what went into planning and running a live show that long with that many egos of varying degrees of age and decrepitness. I wonder if there was one point person who tied all that together.

Last edited by molson : 02-16-2015 at 08:20 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

And he was still going at the afterparty!

SNL’s 40th anniversary afterparty lasted till 4 a.m., featured Prince, Paul McCartney, and Taylor Swift as the house band | Consequence of Sound
Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
Agreed. I dare not say anything in the presence of my GF last night while we watched the show, but he sounded horrible but of course got the applause. I am also not a huge fan of him or the Beatles and feel they are extremely overrated. Yes, I am fully aware I may be harassed now for that comment. I am prepared.

It's one of his few songs I like and I have it on my phone so I listen to it every now and again.

Also GE Smith is still wack.

And Killam's "Christolph Waltz" was just so bad compared to the rest of the celebrity Jeopardy impressions. Embarrassing. He's like that wrestler that gets an out of nowhere push that nobody asked to see.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #19
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

I was convinced that they had his mic off during the Grammys. I could hear Kanye and Rihanna clearly, but I could never pick out his voice. I assume it was because his voice is shot.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
molson
General Manager

One of the fun dynamics of this show was spotting people in the audience and the random seating assignments. Like Taylor Swift sitting between Steven Spielberg and Sarah Palin. I think the studio only sits a few hundred.

A Lot of Famous People Went to See SNL 40 -- Vulture

'SNL' 40th anniversary boasted star-studded audience - NY Daily News

Last edited by molson : 02-16-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I also didn't quite get why they needed musical guests. McCartney and Simon, ok - especially Simon considering he was the second ever host. But Miley and Kanye? I feel like they could have fit in something else considering all the ex-cast they had to try to fit in.

Kanye, at least, has been a musical guest 6 times on SNL. Dave Grohl is #1 in that with 11 times (I'm sure that counts Nirvana and Foo Fighters as well as when he appeared with Tom Petty). It could have been they snapped up who they could, esp one week after the Grammys.

SNL has always been known for its musical guests, so no reason not to include some. Maybe put Grohl in as the top musical guest in place of Miley (who has done it, what, once - though I think she hosted that week too?)
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

That, or maybe he's just 72.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I was convinced that they had his mic off during the Grammys. I could hear Kanye and Rihanna clearly, but I could never pick out his voice. I assume it was because his voice is shot.

I don't think he even provides vocals on the single.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #24
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That, or maybe he's just 72.

This was implied in my post.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I would love to watch all the audition videos in their entirety.

a lot of them can be found on youtube. i remember watching carvey's, he was not even a little nervous, super confident, just fucking around. its pretty awesome.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

In the rare moments I actually see him, Martin Short always looks so youthful and energetic, and his comedic timing is still great. He was great when he hosted SNL last year. But his career has to be considered a pretty big failure, doesn't it? He's never really connected in a huge money-making way in movies or TV, or even as prominent supporting role kind of guy. Maybe he saves his money and he does want he wants.

Last edited by molson : 02-17-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Maybe he didn't get the uber-big paydays, but he has won Emmy and Tony awards. I'd say his career was far from a failure. He is very well respected in the showbiz ranks.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...s-most-beloved
Old 02-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Maybe he didn't get the uber-big paydays, but he has won Emmy and Tony awards. I'd say his career was far from a failure. He is very well respected in the showbiz ranks.

Awesome article - thanks for posting.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Ya, "failure" was definitely the wrong choice of words, maybe just under-appreciated by the general public. Great article.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Celebrity Net Worth has him at 25M. Obviously not FU money but he can do what he wants basically.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post

You and I can be friends.

Quote:

Also GE Smith is still wack.

I was pretty damned pumped to see him up there doing his thing. I thought it was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
I felt bad for Chevy although last night's performance was better than when he was on the today show a few months back. That was very painful to watch.

Chevy's rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and it wasn't any more evident than during closing credits when everyone was hugging and talking and he was standing right in the middle looking lost and generally being completely ignored.

He's Not Chevy, He's an Asshole: A History of Chevy Chase's Horrific Behavior

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #32
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

‘SNL’ 40th Anniversary: The ‘Eddie Murphy Incident’ Explained

Apparently the reason Eddie looked so awkward on stage is that he may have developed a little stage fright.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #33
PilotMan
Head Coach

Norm Macdonald: Eddie Murphy Was To Be Cosby In Celebrity Jeopardy!

Norm MacDonald talks about the Jeopardy sketch and how things went down during the preparations for the show.

Like Steam?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #34
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Awesome twitter feed. Interesting for me, as I was a huge fan of SCTV and always felt when SNL did Jeopardy that it was something I had seen before. Really cool of Norm to mention that.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

On a semi-related note, I found out that Bob Odenkirk (now better known as Saul Goodman) was the one that created the Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker character.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #36
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
On a semi-related note, I found out that Bob Odenkirk (now better known as Saul Goodman) was the one that created the Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker character.
I've read that Farley created the character in his early days of improv but it was Odenkirk who polished it and put the framework of the SNL skit around it.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #37
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Jim Carrey asking about Brian Williams is pretty damn funny. Matt Lauer, "Oh look what time it is" cutting Jim off is so funny. So is Tina Fey's reaction:

Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #38
Subby
lolzcat

Loved every minute of it, even the uneven stuff. The Samberg-Sandler digital short was fantastic. I thought Miley was great and she is on there because Michaels wants to keep a link to the kids. Best part was watching it with my 12 year olds. SNL really does an incredible job of bridging generations.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #39
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I've read that Farley created the character in his early days of improv but it was Odenkirk who polished it and put the framework of the SNL skit around it.

There's a video on Youtube of Farley doing that character at Second City.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #40
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's a video on Youtube of Farley doing that character at Second City.

Yeah, that's where it was first performed, back before Farley joined SNL. Here's the story behind the genesis of the character.

http://thecomicscomic.com/2012/07/23...ional-speaker/
Old 12-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #41
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Closest thing to a SnL thread that we have. For all the complaints about Eddie Murphy in the 40th special, he comes back 5 years later and kills!

He stumbled over a couple of his lines and broke a couple of times, but each skit was hilarious (when was the last time that ever happened) and he was great in each one.

Well done, Eddie.

Now actually follow through on your standup special!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #42
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It was one of the best episodes ever.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #43
molson
General Manager

I haven't seen the Murphy episode yet but I think SNL has been killing it this year with their Dem debates. They just keep going back to that well, as the field has given them so much material.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #44
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It was one of the best episodes ever.

At the very least, one of the very best of the past few years. I completely enjoyed it.

Like Steam?