Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #10801
Edward64
Head Coach

Joe, just do it. Don't let them come without at least a PCR test result. I like the tracking also but suspect that'll be doomed to failure.

I needed a couple PCR tests during my international travels this past year. I did have to pay extra for expedited results which I got in 4-6 hours. The PCR tests is doable if we scale up and have the travelers stay in an airport secured area while waiting for test results.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eads-rcna63435
Quote:
Alarmed by China’s surge in Covid cases after the sudden end of its “zero-Covid” measures, the Biden administration is considering new rules for travelers from China, such as testing on arrival in the U.S. and additional tracking, two U.S. officials tell NBC News.

The officials say the U.S. and other countries are concerned that China may not be transparently reporting Covid data — specifically, viral genomic sequence data — needed to assess the spread and identify any variants of concern.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #10802
Edward64
Head Coach

On 2 flights, 50% of travelers to Italy from China have tested positive.

Don't worry about being called a racist Joe. It's the right thing to do in uncertain times, there's some unknowns (e.g. new variants?) that may get messy.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Quote:
Italian health authorities will begin testing all arrivals from China for Covid after almost half of the passengers on two flights to Milan were found to have the virus.

They are also sequencing the Milan tests to see if there are new variants, the Health Ministry said in a statement. If a new strain is found, officials may impose stricter curbs on travel from the country.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-28-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:25 PM   #10803
Edward64
Head Coach

Good call Joe but IMO full of holes.

US to require travelers from China to show negative Covid-19 test result before flight | CNN Politics
Quote:
The United States will require all travelers from China to show a negative Covid-19 test result before flying to the country as Beijing’s rapid easing of Covid-19 restrictions leads to a surge in cases.

Passengers flying to the US from China will need to get a test no more than two days before flying, federal health officials said, and present proof of the negative test to their airline before boarding.
But I don't like the self-test antigen. IIRC the antigen self-test is much less accurate? Why not a PCR test

Quote:
The tests can be either a PCR test or an antigen self-test administered through a telehealth service.
If this is really the countries and routes, this is stupid. Nothing to stop them from crossing the border into Vietnam (currently no restrictions travelling into Vietnam) and travelling to US from there.

The key minimums should be proof of vaccination, PCR test for Chinese national regardless of where they are travelling from into the US. Need to plan on how to quarantine if infected (and not voluntary, on my honor, I'll stay away from people while travelling in the US). After X weeks, reassess and possibly expand if there is a spike from other countries.

Quote:
The requirement will apply both to passengers flying directly to the United States from China, including Hong Kong and Macau, as well to passengers flying through popular third-country gateways, including Seoul, Toronto and Vancouver.

Joe, take a hard stand. You do not want this coming back to bite you in 2024 if there are spikes traced back to Chinese travelers. There is no "science" to follow here as no one know how bad China will get and what mutations they have. So be over cautious, no one will blame you for that.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-28-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #10804
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Just out of curiosity, do you think Joe Biden reads these forums? Not an attack on anything you've said, I just find it amusing that you address yourself to him on a first-name basis instead of saying 'I think we should do X'.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #10805
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you think Joe Biden reads these forums? Not an attack on anything you've said, I just find it amusing that you address yourself to him on a first-name basis instead of saying 'I think we should do X'.

No, don't think that. But you're right, I didn't do that with Donald or Barrack or Bill or George or Hillary.

I guess it's because Joe is a personable person (but sometimes too touchy feely). So just thought he would appreciate (yeah right) me addressing him directly.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-28-2022 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #10806
Edward64
Head Coach

Great news, thanks Italy for acting so fast. Assume we can handle omicron since we've been dealing with it already this past year.

But let's wait for several other sets of testing results before calling the all clear.

Italy Has Not Found New Covid Variants in Tests on Recent Arrivals From China
Quote:
Italy didn’t find any new concerning Covid-19 mutations in the recent arrivals from China who had tested positive for the virus, a relief for officials worried about fresh health threats.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said Italy already sequenced half of the samples tested in Milan and they all show the omicron strain of the coronavirus.

“This is quite reassuring,” she said at a press conference Thursday. “The situation in Italy is under control, and there are no immediate concerns.”
Old 12-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #10807
Edward64
Head Coach

re: Covid loss of taste

Dixie is someone I follow because she has done the backpacker Triple Crown of Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest and Continental Divide (those are some serious miles across some serious mountains). She and family came down with Covid a couple years ago and loss their sense of taste (things tasted really bad to them).

In the below video, she describes getting a "Stellate Ganglion Block Procedure" which helped her family regain quite a bit of it. Note that she went to 2 different clinics. She did not have much success with the first but did with the second (in Texas).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbXnuZkIEY

Thought I'd share and hope it helps you, family, friends, anyone else you know etc. that may be struggling with this long Covid illness.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-30-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #10808
Edward64
Head Coach

Welcome XBB.1.5. Whoever and whatever you are

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/30/covi...-to-cells.html
Quote:
The Covid omicron XBB.1.5 variant has nearly doubled in prevalence over the past week and now represents about 41% of new cases in the U.S., according to CDC data.
:
Scientists at Columbia University have warned that the rise of subvariants such as the XBB family could “result in a surge of breakthrough infections as well as re-infections.”
It's been in India and Singapore for a while. India prob doesn't have good reporting, but Singapore did have cases & deaths spike but both have been declining since Oct (googled on it).

Quote:
Fauci said he was encouraged by the case of Singapore, which had a major surge of infections from XBB but did not see hospitalizations rise at the same rate. Pekosz said XBB.1.5, in combination with holiday travel, could cause cases to rise in the U.S. But he said the boosters appear to be preventing severe disease.

“It does look like the vaccine, the bivalent booster is providing continued protection against hospitalization with these variants,” Pekosz said. “It really emphasizes the need to get a booster particularly into vulnerable populations to provide continued protection from severe disease with these new variants.”

It's reassuring that it seems we have real time monitoring around the world where countries cooperate.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #10809
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My family got the gift of Christmas Covid. My wife returned from our family get together on Christmas eve, and said she thought she had a fever. By the next morning, she was truly under the weather with sore throat runny nose and fever. Three days later the whole family had it, everyone at the Christmas eve get together as well. Everyone, except for a couple of people that just recovered from Covid in November.

It turned out that we had a visitor on the 21st that lives with someone who had Covid. That visitor had a fever early in the day, but since he tested negative, he showed up at our house as planned. Since my wife was the only one to in contact with him, I'm using Occam's razor to say that was where we all got sick.

I got myself a prescription for Paxlovid, and the rest of the family toughed it out. My wife recovered completely, and the rest of us are about 95% back to normal, The sore throat was rough, the runny nose non-stop. I didn't have much of a cough. The "Brain Fog" however was rough for me. I'd say rather than foggy, I felt restless, maybe anxious. I couldn't concentrate on anything for more than 10 minutes at a time. No reading, no games on the computer. I even had trouble watching Netflix. I just kept losing interest/attention. It was very strange.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #10810
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That sucks, hope everyone is 100% soon. Fuck that visitor, they at the very least should have called you and asked if it was ok to still come given the circumstances...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:48 PM   #10811
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry to hear. Great that everyone has recovered.

How well did the Paxlovid work? Like an antibiotic and feeling better in 12 hours or so? (You’re the only person I know that’s taken it)

And when did you get your last vaccination?
Old 01-03-2023, 06:49 AM   #10812
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Our family got hit for the first time as well. Wife tested positive on Christmas Day (Merry F'n Christmas), she was the most sick. I got sick a few days later, seems to be a reduced version of what she had. I never tested positive even though I had the same symptoms as her, just a few days later.
Thankfully we all got the Omicron booster about 3-4 weeks ago, so I think it kept things from getting bad. Weird symptoms , a lot of gastro intestinal symptoms which was not typical with older versions of the virus.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:57 AM   #10813
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad you guys are feeling better.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #10814
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm scheduled to get the updated booster (my 5th shot) in about 10 days. I figured it makes sense since I'm going on a cruise next month and I'm over 50. My wife likely will too, although she's unable to do it until maybe the end of the month due to some testing she's having done on her hip.

Her parents, in their mid-late 70s, are going with us and have only had the original plus 1st booster quite a while ago. I sense the same vaccine skepticism from them that I get from my parents, who've only had the original shots.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #10815
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One of my co-workers was just talking about how she got COVID over break. And it came out that she had only gotten the two shots plus the first booster. And she had no idea that the bi-valent booster was even a thing.

And this is a normal well-educated person. Which makes me wonder how much a lack of uptake on the 4th+ shot is people just not realizing that it is out there.

We tend to think of things as either pro-vax or anti-vax. But there is a well-meaning-but-busy complement of people out there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #10816
cuervo72
Head Coach

State of MD texts me periodically to remind be to get boosters. Apparently I only need to wait two months between them, so I think I might be about due already.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #10817
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm scheduled to get the updated booster (my 5th shot) in about 10 days. I figured it makes sense since I'm going on a cruise next month and I'm over 50. My wife likely will too, although she's unable to do it until maybe the end of the month due to some testing she's having done on her hip.

Her parents, in their mid-late 70s, are going with us and have only had the original plus 1st booster quite a while ago. I sense the same vaccine skepticism from them that I get from my parents, who've only had the original shots.

Because they've already been vaccinated, hope you can reason with them (more enclosed spaces, more crowds, you are most likely to get sick etc.)

If that doesn't work, do the reverse parental guilt trip on them. "You wouldn't want the kids to get sick because of you do you?"
Old 01-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #10818
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My mom took my 92 year old father to the hospital today. He hasn't been feeling well and his doctor recommended he go. Turned away from the first one because they have no beds. Went to second one and tested positive for covid. they put him on oxygen and my mom just texted me this hospital also has no bedss. I'm not sure what the next move is.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:44 PM   #10819
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Because they've already been vaccinated, hope you can reason with them (more enclosed spaces, more crowds, you are most likely to get sick etc.)

If that doesn't work, do the reverse parental guilt trip on them. "You wouldn't want the kids to get sick because of you do you?"

Nope, not gonna touch it. Not even gonna tell them I'm getting another shot.

I talked to my parents Tuesday. They brought up the Hamlin thing and first thing they said was that this is happening to hundreds of athletes all over the world because of the vaccine. I just muttered to myself and talked past it. If they want to die, that's their choice. I only see them 2 or 3 times a year, so it's not worth my mental health to pointlessly argue with them when they have 52 weeks of relentless 24 hours news telling them what to think.

I love my parents, but I take the "muh freedom" thing to heart. You want to fuck yourself over, be my guest.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-04-2023, 06:36 PM   #10820
Edward64
Head Coach

I was talking about your wife's parents going on the cruise with you. Are they as bad as your parents?
Old 01-04-2023, 07:07 PM   #10821
Ksyrup

No, but only by degrees. That's not my place. My wife isn't going to raise it and I'm not either.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:30 PM   #10822
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Sorry to hear. Great that everyone has recovered.

How well did the Paxlovid work? Like an antibiotic and feeling better in 12 hours or so? (You’re the only person I know that’s taken it)

And when did you get your last vaccination?

Everyone has recovered except my daughter. She is on day 8 and while improving she is feeling tightness/heaviness in her chest. We picked up a home pulse-oximeter, and she is right at 95%. We’ll keep an eye on that and get her to urgent care if it doesn’t improve tomorrow.

As for Paxlovid, yes within 6-12 hours I felt a very positive difference. The only negative I felt was a terrible taste in my mouth for five days. They call it Paxlovid mouth. Reminds me of dry heaves/bile taste.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:03 AM   #10823
bhlloy
Coordinator

That was my experience with Paxlovid too. The taste is absolutely awful, but symptoms went away fast after taking it. I wonder how quickly I’d have recovered as I was heading in the right direction, but glad I didn’t have to find out I guess.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:58 AM   #10824
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks for sharing guys.

Its good to know Paxlovid really works (just like my reliable z-packs when I need it).
Old 01-06-2023, 09:14 PM   #10825
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My uncle just called me, my dads brother. Uncle is a doctor. Dad is 92 and in the hospital with covid. Doing ok and uncle thinks he will recover, but that this is probably the beginning of the end. apparently my grandfather smoked a box of cigars a week when they were kids and I never knew but the second hand smoke has scared my dads lungs. Uncle thinks that combined with what getting over covid will take likely will result in him going downhill and being the beginning of the end.

Trying to process and hope he is wrong, but he is 92 and I am also trying to be real.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-06-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:23 PM   #10826
21C
College Prospect

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:41 PM   #10827
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sorry to hear that, Lathum.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:04 PM   #10828
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry to hear that news Lathum, hoping he can beatthe odds.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:09 PM   #10829
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Post Script to my Family's covid run. My daughter wasn't getting better quickly, so after nine days we went the urgent care route to have her evaluated.

Funnily enough when they learned she'd been fighting symptoms for 10 days, they said "Sure come right into the office. Wear a mask. You're way less contagious now than you were a week ago." They evaluated her decided no pneumonia and prescribed her an inhaler and some prednisone that have worked tremendously for her. She is almost completely recovered now.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 01-08-2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #10830
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad your daughter is doing better. I am sure you & wife are very relieved.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #10831
Edward64
Head Coach

Haven't read anything about any major spikes internationally with Chinese travelling in masse again. And Chinese New Year is Jan 22 so there'll be a lot of travelling domestically around then.

China says 60,000 people have died of Covid since early December | CNN
Quote:
Close to 60,000 people have died of Covid in China since the country abruptly abandoned its tight “zero-Covid” policy in early December, a medical official from the National Health Commission (NHC) told a press conference in Beijing on Saturday.

Jiao Yahui, head of the NHC’s medical affairs department, said China recorded 59,938 Covid-related death between December 8 and January 12. Of those deaths 5,503 came from respiratory failure caused by Covid infections, and 54,435 were people infected with Covid as well as underlying diseases, such as cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

But for both sides (and context), US had a couple months between 89K and 96K.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-15-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:28 PM   #10832
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My Grandma’s funeral on Tuesday turns out to have been a super-spreader event. So far 10 people (including my Mom and Bro-in-law) have tested positive. I’m still negative, and if I test negative tonight, I’ll assume I dodged a bullet.

Fucking virus.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:46 PM   #10833
Edward64
Head Coach

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

Hopefully no one gets too seriously ill.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-15-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:15 PM   #10834
Ksyrup

I got my 5th shot yesterday, first booster since June. Like in June, about 12 hours after I got it, I got the chills/aches/slight fever which were pretty much gone by this morning. Last time it was much more intense but I also got the shingles and Tdap shot at the same time, so that was probably the reason.

I decided to get the updated booster since we're going on a cruise in 4 weeks.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-15-2023 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:27 PM   #10835
bhlloy
Coordinator

Also got my 5th on Friday, as it was my first in a new country they gave me a full 3rd dose instead of the booster and then they told me to come back in 4 months for the Omnicron booster (or I guess whatever the latest is by then).

First time I haven’t had any flu like symptoms but damn if it didn’t affect my lymph nodes to swell to the point where my neck and back ached like nothing before. All cleared up 48 hours later though.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:05 PM   #10836
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Are y’all getting the 5th because of age, etc? Or is recommended for everyone now?
Old 01-15-2023, 04:36 PM   #10837
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m in an at risk group due to illness and lingering (borderline at this point) immunocompromised state, so that’s why I’m playing it as safe as I can.

Plus the first two I got were clinical trials that have no paperwork attached, so as far as any doctor I talk to is concerned this was only my third.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:29 PM   #10838
Ksyrup

I'm 51. I believe it's officially recommended for those over 50, but I think they are generally recommending it for pretty much everyone. Not many people are taking them up on it, as far as the stats I've seen.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-15-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:53 AM   #10839
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Been watching people commenting on the World Economic Forum at Davos--to even get in, you need a negative PCR test. If you test positive or refuse to test, they just deactivate your badge. No muss; no fuss. No angry rants from Hannity.

And in most of the pictures, you see high-end air filters everywhere.

Basically, the economic elite have been telling us to pretend that the pandemic is over. But, of course the pandemic is not over. And they are way too rich and powerful to have to pretend that it is.

That's just for suckers like us and our kids.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:00 AM   #10840
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just got my first booster in a year and the flu shot. I got Pfizer this time instead of Moderna. Arm isn’t as sore as I remember it being. I had a fever for a minute but I’m basically normal after 2.5 days.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:38 AM   #10841
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I just got my first booster in a year and the flu shot. I got Pfizer this time instead of Moderna. Arm isn’t as sore as I remember it being. I had a fever for a minute but I’m basically normal after 2.5 days.

I did the same, went from Moderna to Pfizer for my 5th shot. Remember it being more sore longer (but hard to tell) but no fever or anything else.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:52 PM   #10842
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

xkcd: Pathogen Resistance

Crazy to remember the optimism in human nature during the early stages of the virus.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #10843
Ksyrup

I still wonder what would have happened had Trump won and been so tied to the triumph of HIS vaccine. Would the crazies have won out and forced him to pivot to some sort of "this isn't the vaccine I ordered them to create, they are killing thousands of people!" or would getting the vaccine have been a source of red hat pride?
Old 01-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #10844
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I suspect it would have been lost in all the news about Trump transforming himself into a permanent dictator, and the country as a whole turning into a theocratic police state.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #10845
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I still wonder what would have happened had Trump won and been so tied to the triumph of HIS vaccine. Would the crazies have won out and forced him to pivot to some sort of "this isn't the vaccine I ordered them to create, they are killing thousands of people!" or would getting the vaccine have been a source of red hat pride?

IIRC there were major challenges with delivery of the vaccines the first 3-4 months of 2021 and deaths were still rising.

My guess is he would have pointed fingers at distribution fall guys but ultimately taken credit for it and gotten many of the 38-42% onboard.

But WTFK with him
Old 01-21-2023, 08:42 PM   #10846
Ksyrup

Thanks to Elon's "For Me" tab on Twitter, I'm seeing video after video of people claiming to have physical issues after getting the vaccine, most of them doing this shaking thing that looks really, really fake. Is this the latest attempt to con people into believing that vaccines are killing/debilitating thousands of people, or has this been a thing for some time? Or, against all evidence of what appears to be bad acting, is any of this actually real?
Old 01-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #10847
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Every study of the post-marketing data I've seen indicates that the frequency of any adverse events for any of the main COVID vaccines are extremely low.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:44 PM   #10848
Edward64
Head Coach

In Thailand now. Masks are optional but all locals are wearing them even out in the open, literally like 100%. Ive found contradictory info but think masks are required on public transportation (rail). I’ve been putting a mask on then but not while walking around.

I guess it’s a good thing they’re all wearing masks as Thailand is expected Chinese tourism hotspot. BTW Happy Chinese New Year. On to Australia next.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:32 PM   #10849
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Have a safe trip!
Old 01-23-2023, 12:22 PM   #10850
Ksyrup

Quote:
Thanks to Elon's "For Me" tab on Twitter, I'm seeing video after video of people claiming to have physical issues after getting the vaccine, most of them doing this shaking thing that looks really, really fake. Is this the latest attempt to con people into believing that vaccines are killing/debilitating thousands of people, or has this been a thing for some time? Or, against all evidence of what appears to be bad acting, is any of this actually real?

It's out of control!