Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #151
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolleck View Post
For the second round, I would like to see a few veteran mentors on the team prior to the draft and see how much that improves the wins.

I like that idea, too. If I'm setting this up again, maybe we will go that way -- or at least start things off with that as an option - where you're free to keep any or all of the foundation mentors that you want, but don't have to. For development and chemistry purposes, I think that would make a good deal of sense -- though admittedly, it hasn't been too tough for me to find playing time for most of my players in this challenge, so development hasn't been a major concern.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #152
TRO
College Prospect

SD, I plan on running this today as well. Danka.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #153
Skolleck
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
That doesn't sound to me like a career-ender, FWIW. You can slot a guy listed as "out" as your QB3.

I tried that and it still gave me the message that it would make a roster move. I have the game saved, so I will go back to it.

Thanks,
Scott Kolleck
Skolleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #154
tarcone
Coordinator

I am into my 3rd season

0-16
3-13

In the 2nd season, I was 2-2 at one point and thinking playoffs. I know, I know.
I concentrated on offense. In fact my 1st 3 picks went: T, RB, T. All in the 1st round. In my initial draft, QBs flew. I was surprised, but stuck to my run game idea.
Im in my 3rd season and lost game 1 35-21 to defending division champ washington at their house. Im liking my team.
I lost a LB due to lack of playing time. He prefered not to play at all then to play with me. I even offered him a huge bonus, 500k.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #155
digamma
Torchbearer

I am in the clubhouse after 2017.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #156
larrymcg421
Head Coach

After winning 3 games in my first 3 years, I finally had a breakthrough season and went 6-10.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #157
tarcone
Coordinator

I finished 1-15 in season 3. Ugh. Not sure what happened.
I did play a game and called the offense. I ran my 53 endurance guy a lot in the 1st quarter. Midway through the 2nd quarter his endurance rating was fair. He only got up to good the rest of the game. A real eye opener.
I need to play SP more.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #158
Vince
Pro Starter

0-16 in year one, improved to 4-12 in year two. This is incredibly difficult.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #159
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I went back to score a season in which i made it to the playoffs as a wild card, and noted that we don;t get any points for playoffs. Wow.

EDIT: By "wow" I mean surprised, not that its all bad or anything, just surprised.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #160
WelshWizard
n00b

When you get a chance can someone set up a Thread for me for this?

Thanks,
Kevin
WelshWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #161
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
I went back to score a season in which i made it to the playoffs as a wild card, and noted that we don;t get any points for playoffs. Wow.

EDIT: By "wow" I mean surprised, not that its all bad or anything, just surprised.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to keep score on a year-by-year basis. It's a cumulative career type thing.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #162
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to keep score on a year-by-year basis. It's a cumulative career type thing.
You do get points for conference titles and bowl wins...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 AM   #163
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think that is, unfortunately, a function of the .fgr file that I used with this career. I had no idea that (for whatever reason) the graphics color settings and the global settings for cap increase and injuries are contained in the same file. My best guess is that I had it set to zero (holdover from some other career of mine) when I started this career, and when it selected the multi-year cap increase it was set to zero.

I don't expect it will have a material effect on anything your team does (the cap simply isn't a major factor in this career, or at least it wasn't for me), but there's bound to be a little more chaos for the AI teams during those several seasons.

Hi Quik,

very interesting and fun challenge. The cap thingy makes it significantly easier as the game progresses as players rated in the 10s pop up on a variety of teams. However I also suspect it's going to leave me unable to continue after 2015 because I can't fit everyone under the cap. (Wish I had tried to be a bit more stringent with the cap I should have taken my chances resigning my scrubs as FAs rather than resigning them to relatively large multi-year deals).

Anyway despite the weakening of the AI teams I'm pretty pleased with my effort as my slightly modified basic MP gameplan worked fine against the AI.

2008: 6-10
2009: 8-8
2010: 3-13
2011: 10-6 Wildcard
2012: 15-1 Bowl Champs
2013: 10-6 Div Champs
2014: 14-2 Bowl Champs

Anyway, thanks a lot for the idea for this, I think I've learned a little bit more about how players develop.

PS is there any way to see everyone else's posts in the special forum? I haven't really taken any notes (other than change tracker exports) so I don't feel like I have a lot to write about but I'm interested in seeing what players people took etc etc. However if people are interested in my players I'd like to have a forum as well.

Last edited by Narcizo : 01-04-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #164
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not for the final three ways of getting points, its not. Only one score is cumulative. I want to keep a running total of those.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #165
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking that maybe playoff loses shouldn't count towards your winning percentage. I don;t know that we want to punish teams for making it to the playoffs then losing. If I go 9-7 as a wild card team and then get beaten in the playoffs, its a better season than a 9-7 record that does not get to the playoffs, but the second season scores better.

Thoughts?

-Abe

Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #166
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Managed to cram everyone under cap by allowing their contracts to expire and then signing them to min sals, apparently nobody in the league wants to pay money to a veteran with a 12/12 rating, who'd have thought. Finally run out of players due to retirement at the end of 2017 (the only year when I had to start switching positions around).

2015: 10-6 Div Champs
2016: 13-3 Conf Champs
2017: 12-4 Div Champs
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #167
Tasan
College Starter

I can't wait to see the rosters you guys had to be able to put together these championship teams. I just don't see my guys doing anything like this.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #168
Synovia
High School Varsity

I was able to win a championship in 2016, and then had to disband the team week 4 in 2017. Ran out of players.

Had an C playing NT in the championship game.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #169
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
PS is there any way to see everyone else's posts in the special forum? I haven't really taken any notes (other than change tracker exports) so I don't feel like I have a lot to write about but I'm interested in seeing what players people took etc etc. However if people are interested in my players I'd like to have a forum as well.

I believe those forums will become public on Jan. 15th so we can all share our results. Not sure I want to share the results anymore.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #170
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

How about special points if my team goes undefeated? Currently 9-0 in 2013 after a QB change...

EDIT: Correction, I got ahead of mysel.f I was 8-0. Then we lost 18-20 on teh road against 6 win Green Bay the very next week. Grrrr. Nm about the undefeated thing.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-04-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #171
QuikSand
lolzcat

FYI - January 15th is the date that all the OND sub-forums will be opened up and everyone will be free to share information on players, gameplans, and the like. I'm sure we will set up an extensive "spoiler" thread on the challenge at that point.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:31 AM   #172
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not for the final three ways of getting points, its not. Only one score is cumulative. I want to keep a running total of those.

Yeah, I think I'm just so disheartened by my results in the first couple of seasons that I wasn't really thinking along the lines of playoffs...
Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #173
Vince
Pro Starter

And I'm now thoroughly convinced that I have Rex Grossman on my team. It's like he flips a coin pre-game -- "Heads, I suck. Tails, I'm going to play lights-out."
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #174
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
And I'm now thoroughly convinced that I have Rex Grossman on my team. It's like he flips a coin pre-game -- "Heads, I suck. Tails, I'm going to play lights-out."

Dollars to donuts you and I had the same guy there.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #175
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm thinking that maybe playoff loses shouldn't count towards your winning percentage. I don;t know that we want to punish teams for making it to the playoffs then losing. If I go 9-7 as a wild card team and then get beaten in the playoffs, its a better season than a 9-7 record that does not get to the playoffs, but the second season scores better.

Thoughts?

-Abe

I agree there is a trade-off required between simplicity and accuracy in such scoring. I went pretty far toward simplicity, wanting to make it really easy to simply pull the stats right off the team summary page without having to back anything out or many any complex adjustments.

If your team plays 10 seasons, and occasionally gets to the playoffs, then maybe you play in around 166 games. Taking a 0-1 in the playoffs amounts to losing one game in 166, something like a -0.6 in the scale of the total point system. Given the extra point awarded for every win, even though that amounts to a slight penalty, it's still a far better proposition for a typical team to make the playoffs than not.

If you're within a point or two of the very top of the results board at the end, only out due to opening-round playoff losses, we'll be sure to give you your proper credit, sir.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #176
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

heehee

Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #177
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That was tough, put a lot of time into it. Whew.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #178
Tasan
College Starter

And I'm done. The last two seasons were absolute torture, as my team sucked except for a couple of gems. 10 guys called it quits to start 2018 to end it for me. I think I may go back and do it again. Can you put me on the list to see others forums? I'd like to start reading some of the completed writeups.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #179
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I've gone through the forums and opened up all of the ones who appear to be done. Those who aren't done, we'll just trust that you'll stay out. It's too much of a pain at this point to do individual permissions for the number of forums we have.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-08-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #180
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jeez, the pressure.

I'm thinking something like January 15th. Sound okay to everyone?

I sat down yesterday and deliberately just *flew* through my draft, and got my team finalized and ready to start playing games in about 90 minutes of game time -- not exactly the "slow and steady" approach, overall. This will by no means be any sort of world-beater team, though.

Bump. My clock says its' the 15th

Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #181
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Bump. My clock says its' the 15th
You're correct. I'll open up all of the threads now.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #182
QuikSand
lolzcat

Cool by me.

I didn't finish my second trial, but I did all the player acquisition, so there's no harm of spoilers or anything. I might yet get back to it. (yeah, right)
Old 12-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #183
Tasan
College Starter

Bump. Anyone want to give this a go again, with a different player set, and maybe some different rules, like no 1st round picks or something? I know I had a blast doing it the first time.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #184
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm not sure I have the time to set things up, but if someone else did so, I'd likely play it out. Always pretty fun, I think.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #185
Ben E Lou

What Quik said.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #186
Tasan
College Starter

Okay. Gimmie a couple of days to get everything set. I think I have the necessary files, but I need to check a couple things.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #187
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

Curious if we are looking for alternative ideas for "Challenges"? Perhaps if we get enough ideas together we can do monthly challenges, with fabulous prizes! (prizes are not fabulous)
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #188
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'd be game for an occasional FOF challenge contest. Maybe it would be in order to do something based on the 2008-09 Detroit Lions? The "Megatron Challenge" or something?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #189
Alf
Pro Starter

Just saw this thread and I must say that this was a brilliant idea for a solo game. I might try it.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #190
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, I don't think I have the time to set this up, but here's what I would propose:

Start with the real NFL rosters (whatever version seems to work best) and play through the 2008 season controlling Detroit. Wrap things up before the season ends by releasing everyone on the roster except for Calvin Johnson. Start the 2009 season, advance to the stage where free agency begins, and save the game at that point.

So, we would each have one good player, one batch of free agents, three years of draft picks, and one rookie class to work from. That would be our starting point.

We allow an added rule to make this less of a "how long can you last" thing and just say that the goal is to do the best over, say, 10 years. No adding players after the first year, other than maybe some allowance for <10 rated roster fillers that may be needed to field a legal roster.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like the sound of this one. I like the added element of having one "real" player as the focal point as well. An All Day AP challenge or Matty Ice one would be cool as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #192
QuikSand
lolzcat

In theory, we could even make it a combined challenge, where you get points not just for team performance, but for what you get out of CJ, too.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #193
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. I don't think it would be that hard to construct the scoring where CJ counts as say a third or a half of the total available points.

Also loosening the rules on signing RFAs a few years in might not be a bad idea. I like the one and done concept, but it got silly later on when you had to work rediculousy hard to keep a legal roster
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #194
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think it would still work well, as long as you had to stretch out pretty far. If your success over 10 years is what counts, then that makes for a fairly interesting decision whether to go after a decent-looking 6th year free agent, for instance, figuring that he likely helps you more right away than most rookies would, but that he likely won't be around (or useful) toward the end of the period.