Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #1051
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sounds like one of those tougher situations where KF isn't necessarily an outright bigot, but has a very strict perspective on culture and what is appropriate that is extremely white-centric and feels oppressive and overly judgemental regarding more urban and black-centric cultural norms.

The incident regarding Doyle where he flipped his hat backwards and dropped his pants halfway down to give that player shit was bad. It might have been possible to interpret it as normal shit-talking if all he had done is imitate what that player had said, but the rest of it betrays a seriously tone-deaf attitude regarding black culture and the historical power structure of blacks and whites in this country.

I feel bad for all involved because this is one of those messy situations where there are shades of gray.

Exactly. Well said.

The only problem is the time Doyle told a black kid to join the rowing team but said he couldnt because he knows black people dont like boats on water.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #1052
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Exactly. Well said.

The only problem is the time Doyle told a black kid to join the rowing team but said he couldnt because he knows black people dont like boats on water.

Right, forgot about that one. I think Ferentz is going to have to get rid of Doyle.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #1053
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Seems like this Iowa football stuff is kind of a collision at the intersection of racism, toxic masculinity and football culture being behind the curve, which makes it difficult to sift through.

One quote that stood out to me from a former black player was "I never felt safe to just be myself the whole time I was at Iowa football" just because A) that is sad and B) that would not have been a realistic expectation for anybody in practically any football program when I was that age.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-06-2020 at 05:15 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #1054
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Seems like this Iowa football stuff is kind of a collision at the intersection of racism, toxic masculinity and football culture being behind the curve, which makes it difficult to sift through.

One quote that stood out to me from a former black player was "I never felt safe to just be myself the whole time I was at Iowa football" just because A) that is sad and B) that would not have been a realistic expectation for anybody in practically any football program when I was that age.

I don not disagree. But there are countless times when I, and most others, wondered why the white walk on started ahead of the highly touted black recruit.

And to add data to this, the 2015 recruiting class showed that most of the black players in that class transferred while few white players did. And only because of injury.

This is deep. And we will see a big change soon at Iowa.

I see The AD gone, who lost a multi million dollar lawsuit for sexism recently, and The entire coaching staff gone.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #1055
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I certainly didn't mean to minimize the racial aspect.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #1056
tarcone
Coordinator

Doyle put on paid administrative leave while they review his case.

Tip of the iceberg.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #1057
tarcone
Coordinator

Getting worse in Iowa CIty. A white player with ADHD and a chemical imbalance in his brain, was called simple Jack and dumb and stupid by Doyle and another coach (Presumably Seth Wallace). The coach also posted his GPA on the position teams meeting room white board. That breaks confidentiality.

This was in 2017-18. He ended up quitting the team.

He was diagnosed late, his freshman year, and struggled with school until they could get him on medication, which took a semester and a half.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #1058
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa best receiver ever just went off. This is so bad, Iowa football is in a world of hurt. And just when we were on an uptick. @024s schedule was a schedule to get us in the playoffs. I mean it didnt have OSU, UM, PSU or MSU on it.

God damn this staff. Lack of Institutional control.

I am literally in tears.

Last edited by tarcone : 06-08-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #1059
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Doyle put on paid administrative leave while they review his case.

Tip of the iceberg.

I saw his half hearted twitter defense/deflection. This is a guy that should never be allowed to be around young men again, ever. He is the epitome of not what to be as a coach, a relic of the past that needs to be put in a glass case that reads open only in case of.......never.

Seriously, he just does not get it at all.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #1060
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I saw his half hearted twitter defense/deflection. This is a guy that should never be allowed to be around young men again, ever. He is the epitome of not what to be as a coach, a relic of the past that needs to be put in a glass case that reads open only in case of.......never.

Seriously, he just does not get it at all.

That statement was horrible. In 2012 he caused 10-15 players to be hospitalized with Rahbdo. That bad kidney disease. No punishment then.

This is a lack of institutional control.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #1061
cuervo72
Head Coach

Toxicity from a strength coach? I am shocked. Shocked!
Old 06-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #1062
tarcone
Coordinator

Our all time leading receiver speaks out. It is a mess at Iowa

Iowa Hawkeyes respond to ex-WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos alleging defamation on Twitter

Going to be a long Summer.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #1063
Butter
Coordinator

So... are those tweets NOT from 6 1/2 years ago?
Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #1064
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So... are those tweets NOT from 6 1/2 years ago?
Not sure, but he's definitely spoken out in the last few days:

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/footba...-iowa-football
Old 06-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #1065
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Not sure, but he's definitely spoken out in the last few days:

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/footba...-iowa-football

They may have been. I am having trouble reaching the HN site and kind of staying away from it. Thanks for posting his comments.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #1066
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That statement was horrible. In 2012 he caused 10-15 players to be hospitalized with Rahbdo. That bad kidney disease. No punishment then.

This is a lack of institutional control.

Rhabdomyolysis is a serious issue, that can have long lasting effects. That in itself should have ended his career as you have to go to extreme dehydration and muscle fatigue to trigger it.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #1067
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Rhabdomyolysis is a serious issue, that can have long lasting effects. That in itself should have ended his career as you have to go to extreme dehydration and muscle fatigue to trigger it.

Yes, it's potentially fatal. I worked at a law firm doing defense for a statin that was linked to Rhabdo. The muscles literally break down and get into the blood where they then clog up the kidneys and, if left untreated long enough, kill you. Nasty and apparently very painful.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #1068
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yes, it's potentially fatal. I worked at a law firm doing defense for a statin that was linked to Rhabdo. The muscles literally break down and get into the blood where they then clog up the kidneys and, if left untreated long enough, kill you. Nasty and apparently very painful.

A guy I train BJJ with was stricken by it 3 years back now and still isn't 100% right. He was in rough shape for a while.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #1069
tarcone
Coordinator

It was caused by a "punishment workout" because we barely beat Mizzou in a bowl, 27-24. This is according to DJK.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #1070
tarcone
Coordinator

A scathing video by Iowa RB Akrum Wadleys Mom. Wadley was misused IMO

https://twitter.com/RobHoweHN/status...945279494?s=20

Old 06-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #1071
tarcone
Coordinator

This absolutely crushes me. Everything thing this woman says I have seen.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #1072
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
This absolutely crushes me. Everything thing this woman says I have seen.

Damn, she is bringing it!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:54 PM   #1073
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Our all time leading receiver speaks out. It is a mess at Iowa.

Going to be a long Summer.
If it's any consolation, I expect that Iowa is far from along in terms of these kinds of problems. They're taking the brunt of it publicly, but I would bet good money there are similar issues at other programs. Maybe at some it's more about a sadistic kind of attitude in the S&C program, at others maybe it's more about a "culture" that doesn't seem to allow much room for black kids to act a certain way, but I think we're going to see a wave of similar accusations coming out in the next few months and years.

We know that strength & conditioning programs can be run in ways that push kids extremely hard without putting them at such risk of damage to their health and without demeaning them as people as a means of motivation.

And we know that black players are less and less willing to stay silent about program cultures that are at best not welcoming of certain aspects of the cultures those kids come from, and at worst are racist. This is an area that's going to be really tough to navigate, because it's a gray area where it's hard to say that it's necessarily outright racism, and some folks are going to defend the right of a coach to establish certain ground rules for the culture within their programs.

But when those cultures are ones that skew heavily against expressions, appearances and attitudes that are found predominantly among black players, it's hard not to view those cultures as being prejudiced.

This is not a view that old school folks are going to care for. There will be those that say that players should shut up and listen to their coaches, and if they don't like it, leave. But that's not the world we live in anymore. Kids - especially college football players in this day and age with this level of exposure and this much money at stake in the sport - are exerting their rights to express themselves and be themselves. And whether old-school attitudes should continue to exist is going to become more and more a moot point, because the programs that succeed while letting their kids be themselves (or at least grant a lot more freedom in that regard) are going to win more and more recruiting battles against the old school programs.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #1074
tarcone
Coordinator

Former Iowa S&C coach Doyle gets $1.1 million to leave quietly. Also gets health care for 15 months and has the ability to aplly for unemployment with the University not fighting it.

What a joke. This is going to get swept under the rug and we will all just move on.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #1075
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Former Iowa S&C coach Doyle gets $1.1 million to leave quietly. Also gets health care for 15 months and has the ability to aplly for unemployment with the University not fighting it.

What a joke. This is going to get swept under the rug and we will all just move on.

Especially galling given the salary freeze for faculty and staff.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #1076
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Last month, I thought that there was no way that we would be able to have college football with fans in stadiums this Fall.

Now, I've been watching everyone out partying like COVID's gone, and I will be shocked if we don't have packed stadiums this Fall.

(But they'll have a sign up saying "please socially distance" when they pack 100,000 people into the same space for 4 hours, so it will be fine).
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #1077
bob
College Starter

Why is the NBA talking about playing "in a bubble" but CFB and NFL going to be ok playing otherwise. I struggle to understand how this is going to work.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #1078
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The NBA is talking about starting up a lot sooner, aren't they? But yeah, I see no way that football works. To play football - arguably basketball as well but it's less of a risk - we pretty much have to accept that we're going to just deal with whatever spread results.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #1079
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I doubt college football plays in full stadiums. The schools won’t put the students at risk nor will local government risk overwhelming the health care system.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #1080
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ok State football is at a crossroads over something called OAN
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #1081
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ok State football is at a crossroads over something called OAN

That shitty conservative news network? Or does OAN stand for something else in this case?
Old 06-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #1082
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mike Gundy was photographed in an OAN shirt, which should surprise no one. Chubba Hubbard called him out on twitter saying he wasn’t coming back without change. Should be interesting
Old 06-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #1083
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
That shitty conservative news network? Or does OAN stand for something else in this case?

Guess so. I've never heard of it until now (though I suspect I've come across it prior). His RB is pissed at him for wearing it and wont play apparently.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #1084
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the OAN thing is because they hire white supremacists. I don't know.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #1085
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Why is the NBA talking about playing "in a bubble" but CFB and NFL going to be ok playing otherwise. I struggle to understand how this is going to work.

Basketball is more start focused. Lets face it, if a bunch of stars in the NBA get sick, it just ruins everything. Football can swap in and out players and its not a big deal.

Also it's probably safer to get COVID than it is to get a handful of concussions at that age.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #1086
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Gundy is a woodtick tool. He once fired somebody for wearing an Oklahoma tshirt so this is pure irony. However its shit like this that is sadlt going to get Trump reelected. It's a tshirt of a tv news network. Pretty soon it will be Trump/Pence 2020 tshirts that offend. (I mean isnt that was MAGA was all about?) Disagree with me all you want but I'm not wrong.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #1087
cuervo72
Head Coach

OAN is as good as a Russian propaganda arm. It's where people go when they think Fox is too lefty. Folk that will get the most bent out of shape over this are probably the ones who think these kids are one step away from chattel as it is.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #1088
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm guessing issues go beyond the t-shirt.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #1089
tarcone
Coordinator

Next up, Oklahoma St.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #1090
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Mike Gundy is a woodtick tool. He once fired somebody for wearing an Oklahoma tshirt so this is pure irony. However its shit like this that is sadlt going to get Trump reelected. It's a tshirt of a tv news network. Pretty soon it will be Trump/Pence 2020 tshirts that offend. (I mean isnt that was MAGA was all about?) Disagree with me all you want but I'm not wrong.

Just curious. What is the voter profile of someone who you think doesn't already support Trump, but will be swayed by this?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-16-2020 at 08:02 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #1091
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Just curious. What is the voter profile of someone who you think doesn't allready support Trump, but will be swayed by this?

Moderate liberals disgusted by cancel culture. Sam Harris types. You are probably right that it won't shift their vote to Trump but some may end up not voting if Biden panders too much. Without getting too into politics in this thread (I realize I started it and you were just asking a question) what should be a relative landslide will just slowly lose momentum as people want to defund police departments, take down Christopher Columbus statues, digging up old social media, and get offended by tshirts. These are not mainstream views. (Some of these are even Libertarian views but like I said not popular in general)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #1092
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wearing an OAN t-shirt isn't a mainstream view, either.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #1093
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
people want to defund police departments, take down Christopher Columbus statues, digging up old social media, and get offended by tshirts. These are not mainstream views. (Some of these are even Libertarian views but like I said not popular in general)

I kind of feel like with the younger generations these things are becoming mainstream views.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #1094
JPhillips
General Manager

If my boss was vocally supporting things I didn't like I could leave my job and get a different one. Given that these kids can't leave and get a new job, I don't see how this is a big problem.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #1095
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was very surprised to see how similarly rated OANN and MSNBC were on the 2020 Media Bias Chart site. Opposite sides, obviously, but similar bias. I don't read/watch either, so I can only assume OANN props up its Trump-worship with some legit, straight-up news content.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #1096
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If my boss was vocally supporting things I didn't like I could leave my job and get a different one. Given that these kids can't leave and get a new job, I don't see how this is a big problem.

As Ksyrup posted this station apparently has the "right wing" rating equivalent of MSNBC so if you would be fine with a coach being quit on and possibly fired over an MSNBC tshirt than "Yeah first amendment!" I guess?

I'm not even questioning whether it's allowable, or whether I care about it honestly. Again I characterize Gundy as sort of a douche from Mizzou's days in the Big 12 ("I'm a man, I'm 40!") and from playing against him at QB in the old Big 8. I just see this particular brand of cancel culture becoming wearing Trump 2020 shirts, which will eventually add Trump votes (IMO), which I would rather not see.

Last edited by panerd : 06-16-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #1097
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I kind of feel like with the younger generations these things are becoming mainstream views.

I get that, my life is definitely leading to more and more "Get off my lawn moments" but I still stick to my belief in the end that this is more net Trump than net Biden which is not a good thing.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #1098
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wearing an OAN t-shirt isn't a mainstream view, either.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. If I am a college athlete and politics are a big concern of mine I would likely tend to play in the Mountain West or PAC-12 vs. Oklahoma State I guess?
Old 06-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #1099
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

lol - yall comparing OAN to MSNBC never have watched OAN then? Got the distinct "pleasure" of listening to that non-stop bullshit when the in-laws were here. OAN makes Fox News look sane.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #1100
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
lol - yall comparing OAN to MSNBC never have watched OAN then? Got the distinct "pleasure" of listening to that non-stop bullshit when the in-laws were here. OAN makes Fox News look sane.

I'm not comparing it - a well-respected media bias site did the work. I've never watched it - or MSNBC, for that matter. That site does an aggregate rating comparison of individual articles/videos from each site. Like I said, I'm assuming they are able to somewhat center-balanced the crazy stuff with some fairly straight forward reporting. I've heard Trump name-check them enough and seen the John Oliver piece to know what they are about. But in terms of overall bias of all of their coverage, they aren't that far off MSNBC.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote