Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #1101
QuikSand
lolzcat

DC BUREAU With the release of the big LB, we have cap space to burn - and we make a couple of moves that make sense given that. Chief among them is signing a veteran DE who should be a placeholder until we actually have serious personnel up front. My first round rookie WR is suspended, odd unlucky twist there. No crisis, I wasn't really counting on him as a WR2 right away or anything. The pan is that he helps us with depth so we can flip WR Bouchette maybe after this season. His development and chemistry will suffer, but we won't be completely off course by this development. I let AVAILABLE beat me out for a nice-enough OL, that's disappointing. We did land a 5th year, former Orangeman, high-chem, decent-skills DT on a 4yr cut-friendly deal...so that's good for us. Might be our starter against 3WR sets, as an afterthought signing...that's a reflection of our roster more than his talent. LB Lukas Roberts, a 4th year decent guy, joins a suddenly oversubscribed LB corps, and likely will get serious rotation time. No huge impact moves in late free agency here, either. We're going to have trouble paring down, I can tell already. Still have some weak spots in the lineup, but we're mostly set as well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #1102
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, Ravens roster after late free agency is... basically the same.

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RB Corwin Barksdale
2 years, $5,260,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.6M.)

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Malcolm Book
2 years, $5,260,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.6M.)

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
FL Rex Holtz
1 year, $7,000,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $7.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WILB Giovanni Roybal
1 year, $5,500,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $5.5M.)

I know, WR Holtz? We've seen this movie before, right? Right. So, why? We have a better option for the slot now with #11.

I'm figuring to use Holtz in the Z position in my 11 formations. I think for one more season, he will have higher RR than both 11 and 18, who will be out there in the X and R positions, and whom we expect to get most of the WR targets. So, our hope is that Holtz serves as a decoy (for double coverage) and an affinity guy along the way. We'll see, but I like the sound of it on paper very much.

LB Roybal is a we'll-see-if-he-sticks guy on a no-bonus contract. Affinity and cohesion there, skills have eroded, he's not really playable now. Odds are he is a cut between 60 and 53.

QB Book? Nah, probably not worth writing about. Runs around a bit.

Missed on two marginal OL, no lost sleep.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #1103
QuikSand
lolzcat

Oh, RB Barksdale... well, let's say he has some ties in Baltimore. (Wire reference)

No, he's a guy with two 60+ bars as a rookie - but they're endurance and hole recognition. So, he'll get a look, but seems to be far behind the rookie.

I think we will extend Liverwurst but not Bush at RB, meaning there are likely some carries up for grabs either this season or next. Ogbogu is the guy I want to go take them, but we'll see how things look in the stages ahead.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #1104
QuikSand
lolzcat

DC BUREAU

Well, similar situation in DC, though I think things are one full click less "settled" over here. Let's check out the transactions list:

Washington Redskins
KickStand
LCB Tyler Chiba
2 years, $4,850,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.2M, $2.6M.)
Washington Redskins
KickStand
FL Bruce Clancy
2 years, $5,300,000 (Bonus: $60K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.6M.)
Washington Redskins
KickStand
TE Jeff Myers
2 years, $10,140,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $5.1M, $5.1M.)
Washington Redskins
KickStand
RCB Clifton Rice
2 years, $13,000,000 (Bonus: $7.0M. Salary: $3.0M, $3.0M.)
Washington Redskins
KickStand
RB Tito Ross
1 year, $3,800,000 (Bonus: $800K. Salary: $3.0M.)
Washington Redskins
KickStand
LDE Ellis Shehee
1 year, $5,000,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $5.0M.)
Washington Redskins
KickStand
SLB Caiden Tongue
Washington Redskins
KickStand
QB Korey Wells

Hmm, weird formatting, dunno why (imported from other browser).

Anyway...veteran TE Myers is one more possibility for our main TE target role, still up for grabs. Not a long term play, likely a cut, tbh.

Rest are mostly guys I should have re-signed earlier. But all good here.

Feel like a DC roster rundown would be good. Then I remember I have a family and job and stuff. So, we'll see.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #1105
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Tiny side note... is there any chance there's something here?

QB Phil Cress

no
Old 07-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #1106
QuikSand
lolzcat

Cutdown to 53 - this is the big stage. My enthusiasm is waning a bit for non-FOF reasons, but I'll get through it and document at least some thinking.

-QB Alonzo is a pure affinity gimp, could click as a 3x high-pers backup with starts. We likely could make that work this year, if we feel we can swing the roster slot. Pending.

-At RB, it was supposed to be a battle. Liverwurst extended one more year, Bush won't get an offer. Bush was over 5 ypc last year AFTER a ratings dip, and he's a ST ace, hard to cut him. Ogbogu disappointed with a drop in camp/pre, and Barksdale didn't deliver the bump I had hoped for. So, maybe we just keep our two vets here? Hillhouse remain in play to get some carries if so. Ogbogu gets a free affinity this year, maybe that keeps him in the 53?

-WR Bensen faded, he's a cut, despite the 4th round chem freebie.

-OL is bare minimum, no cuts there. C Bosley will start at LG and may be the longish term answer there.

-DL Denby faded in camp, he's not a cut, but he won't be an impact player, more of a rotation DE/DT. Dammit.

-EDGE Kuklick was a guy I coveted, but now he's bubbled, just low-cohesion on a team that doesn't feel "there" and where we have other, younger guys to feed some pass rushing chances... I think he gets cut

-WR Holtz no longer has a RR edge on #18, so the notion of using him as a decoy is out the window, alas, with his $7m base salary

-Last cut comes down to QB3 Alonso vs. LB8 Thill. Thill slid in ratings a bit, and isn't great for chem, so he's the last one out, the Thill is gone.

And there it is. 53 and file is in. Not sold that we are a top-tier team, but if the passing game continues to evolve, we ought to be before long. Is Levine good enough? Ben didn't think he was. Hard to really hitch the wagon there.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #1107
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ok, I will predict BAL ekes out 10 wins, gets a wild card, but not a meaningful title threat. Sort of like DC last season.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #1108
QuikSand
lolzcat

DC BUREAU

Cutdown difficult there, too. Lots of turnover for a "won it all" team. Cohesion won't be great, chem is on the way there, and should improve midseason.

I'd peg us for 10 wins and longshot contender status.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #1109
QuikSand
lolzcat

Regular season in the books now. Let's see if we took the jump forward:

11-5, good for 2nd in the league's toughest division

So, pretty much on target.

Offense put up 30.1 ppg, highest in the league (ahead of the all-throw Chefs)
Levine had more picks, but remained clear of 7 ypt, good season
Edwin Bush made me glad we kept him, posting over 6 ypc, run offense good
11 and 18 both over 7 ypt, not sterling, but prodcutive (23 TD combined)

D7 got it together, posting PR% of 22.1%, 5th best - yesssss
Though, still not many actual sacks, w our inside guys getting 5.5 each to lead
DB Lentzner was the standout in secondary, unit posted top-half numbers

Anyway... solid season. If we attach a lot of this to our young WR (and we do) then there's room for optimism as they develop together.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #1110
QuikSand
lolzcat

DC BUREAU

Okay, expected to be back in roughly the same groove as last year, maybe a half click ahead...

And here we are, 10-6 and atop a still-awful division

So, takeaways:

Big money QB and RB both put up very pedestrian stats
Maybe TE Bensen a central reason, really need TE upgrade
WR Malone still money, despite a 9% drop rate
C Fitzgerald crushed, led OL to its best year by the numbers
Overall pass rush okay (9th) but lotsa sacks, Singleton w/15.5!
DB group mid-level, have role players need a build-around guy

So...decent season again, as long as we forget "the thing" last year.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #1112
QuikSand
lolzcat

At least we defeated Squirrel and his anti-chemistry hooligans in front of their own fans, then went down to Tootsie's to hear the lamentations of their women.

No second lightning strike for the DC team, alas.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #1113
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a quick look at the roster for the champion team from Atlanta... I had mentioned that they had been organizing around chemistry to some degree (more than usual from Ben, I think)... and that trend of pretty apparent when you look at the color scheme, at least:

http://gml.fof-belco.com/teampageroster.php?teamid=1

He's nowhere as committed as I am, likely to better overall effect, but a guy who can pop quality talent at will decides that in a no-injury league, carrying a bunch of 18/18 good chem guys on the end of your bench ... it's a certain amount of affirmation, I think.

Congrats to Ben and his merry men.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #1114
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Special teams side note:

Punt returns: 20.0 (1st)
PR Allowed: 6.0 (3rd)

Kick returns: 28.3 (3rd)
KR allowed: 20.4 (1st)

Quote:
BALTIMORE

(WR Behne 76 PR, 77/95 ST)
Punt returns: 13.5 (8th)
PR Allowed: 3.5 (1st)

(CB Burroughs 85 KR, 93 ST)
Kick returns: 28.4 (3rd)
KR allowed: 25.0 (24th) WTF?

DC

(WR Robbins 75 PR, 2 ST)
Punt returns: 16.9 (2nd)
PR Allowed: 5.4 (2nd)

(RB Ross 59/63 KR, 2 ST)
Kick returns: 24.0 (13th)
KR allowed: 20.3 (2nd)

BALTIMORE

(WR Behne 88 PR, 89 ST)
Punt returns: 18.4 (1st)
PR Allowed: 6.4 (6th)

(CB Burroughs 75 KR, 76 ST)
Kick returns: 33.4 (1st)
KR allowed: 20.4 (5th)

DC

(WR Clancy 45/53 KR, 19/20 ST)
Punt returns: 16.3 (3rd)
PR Allowed: 9.2 (15th)

(RB Trotter 82 KR, 58 ST)
Kick returns: 32.2 (2nd)
KR allowed: 21.2 (7th)

Special teams remains a strong suit. DC is edging into elite territory. BAL is there.
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #1115
QuikSand
lolzcat

So... new year file is up.

BAL hires a new Def Coord... I'm not pleased. Will have to second guess his scouting. Not sure how that happened with my settings, tbh, but they will get a reboot for next offseason, for sure.

Ramon Crawford GML Staff Page

TE Elijah Covington retired, which is a peculiar twist. That leaves Vinny Money as the only playable guy on the roster, along, I presume, with FB Hillhouse. (*Oops, even Money is out of contract) I didn't extend Leon Ogden, my "got my guy" guy... he wants $24m/yr to exten his contract and we just didn't have it. But I guess he and his mighty 5.6 yards per target will be on our possible shopping list now, perhaps.

We're sitting on 44 players carried over, have a handful of my own guys I would want to re-sign, have $130m in cap space to spend, and of course have 7 unwanted draft picks coming our way. So, the usual setup.
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #1116
QuikSand
lolzcat

The one that got away...

http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=92638

Dammit.
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #1117
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, this is going to be an unexciting offseason for the Ravens. My FA shopping list is dreadfully thin. Unless we decide to go outside chemistry (unlikely?) there's just precious little for us. I'm dying for a big time DE, but am I signing a mediocre veteran to take snaps away from LDE Kevin Turnbull and WLB Anthony Gardner? And I can't do better than "mediocre" in this year's crop. Same for TE, OL, LB, and other need positions.

So, neither rebuild nor reload here... maybe more of a refill of the same prescription that we've been on. There are worse doctor visits than that, of course.
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #1118
QuikSand
lolzcat

DC BUREAU

More to do here in DC than up I-95. Overall setup is pretty similar: 44 signed, $130m in cap space. But I am more unsettled, overall, with the DC roster, and have a couple pressing questions here.

Among the questions - are we willing to commit/re-commit to players who are not chemistry fits, but who are already productive and strong for cohesion? DE Singleton is a free agent, but was insanely good rushing the passer last year. WR Bouchette is hitting a solid stride as a WR2. CB Franklin wants to re-up as our top dollar CB1, after a good but not great season there, and a lack of real "good fit" alternatives for us.

So, I think i'll do a roster dump and analysis there, but for now... work to do.