Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #3551
Edward64
Head Coach

4-6 actually.

IMO, I wouldn't call them "opposing" voices, more like "alternate" views.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #3552
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
FBI Agent of South Sudan heritage ... being Racially Profiled ... See What happened after his arrest & what they did after they found out who he his ...�������������������� pic.twitter.com/ZVxNQ7phqd
—  Tai  (@worldtrav747) June 1, 2020

FYI: looking at the comments, this is probably a year old video.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #3553
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
They deep down know what I mean. The front page is an old newspaper term and generally means like 4-5 headlines not one of like 75 links on Cnn.com. If they think the mass media outlets are out pushing this deadly virus will kill your grandma the same during the protests and riots then they they did after Memorial Day then they are the ones living in denial Not going to quit the forum because I like a lot of the people here and enjoy the gaming and netflix threads etc but you guys are definitely in a echo chamber in the politics thread. What are the opposing voices now like 2 people? Congrats I guess?

You do see how protesting in this instance might be considered a little different from going out for drinks at a pool bar to finally feel that tingle again ? I mean, the only thing noteworthy in the latter is the potential ramifications with regards to Covid. Here, at the very least you have 2 newsworthy aspects.
Or that maybe protesting against a state governments attempts to keep people safe in a way that pretty strongly insinuates they do it for some nefarious reason is maybe a bit different as well compared to this ? (I am not saying it had no merit then in principal or that everybody ought to just be happy and rejoice over the course taken, but the undertones of reasoning were somewhat tin foil)

Not every thing is pretty much the same as every other thing, just because they have one thing in common.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #3554
rjolley
College Starter

panerd,

I agree the number of articles on the front page of CNN and Fox News covering COVID-19 are low, but it's understandable with the protests/riots going on. At this time, that's the more important story. It was also discussed here.

As for the potential spread of the disease due to the protests, there are some social distancing measures being followed. Those that aren't feel the reason for them being out is more important...or didn't care about following the guidance in the first place.

The protests are the bigger story and COVID-19 has been around for 3 months. Just the way the news cycle goes. I'm sure COVID-19 will be back on the front page in the next week or so, unless something else major comes up.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #3555
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This whole weekend has made me sick. I'm sick at how police have treated people of color for the past 40 years (that I've been around for). I'm sick of how some of these looters tried to capitalize on a movement to bring attention to this inequality and rob small businesses already hurting from covid. I'm sick of how some of the police departments have handled (of not incited) these protests in a way that makes all these worse. This picture completely captures where we are right now - and it's sad and depressing:

Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #3556
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Who brings a kid to a riot?
Old 06-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #3557
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

MLK marches: Children in the Selma protest marches | Considerable

If's it's a protest and the police are the ones using force....is it really on the protesters?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #3558
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No one. However, I see no riot going on there.

But I know I would want to bring my kid to a protest for any number of reasons:
1) It's important to teach kids about Democracy and how to exercise your rights from an early age
2) It's an important cause that I need to add my voice to and I don't have a sitter
3) Portable human shield (I kid, I kid!)

I'm not sure that the 3-4ish kid there is quite age appropriate. But, really, all the hand wringing around this and other situations like the 9 year old who got pepper sprayed in Seattle - seriously? Please explain to me the situation that warrants pointing that weapon at a small child who is eating chips(?) on Dad's head.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #3559
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
....is it really on the protesters?

For bringing their children to a highly volatile and dangerous situation?

FUCK YES it's on them.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #3560
Atocep
Coordinator

The Washington Post released full audio of Trump's call to governors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...516_video.html

EDIT:

It's abundantly clear, listening to this, that Trump gets 100% of his news and information from television. He's not getting reports from his aides, governors, or anyone else. Nearly everything he references in this rambling speech is something he saw on TV.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-01-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #3561
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What makes going to a long beach, CA protest at noon = going to a riot? We should be able to gather together in the middle of the day without it turning into a riot. Now, if he did it at 8 PM at night - I can see the point.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #3562
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
What makes going to a long beach, CA protest at noon = going to a riot? We should be able to gather together in the middle of the day without it turning into a riot. Now, if he did it at 8 PM at night - I can see the point.

It'd be great if there were no riots, but that's not the situation we're in right now.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #3563
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It'd be great if there were no riots, but that's not the situation we're in right now.

Google:

IN PHOTOS: Long Beach peacefully protests the killing of George Floyd • Long Beach Post News
Old 06-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #3564
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #3565
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
4-6 actually.

IMO, I wouldn't call them "opposing" voices, more like "alternate" views.

Yourself, Tarcone, Brian Swartz, Arles, NobodyHere, CU Tiger, JIMGA & panerd himself are some names that easily & immediately come to my mind, in terms of folks that will regularly post non-liberal, political viewpoints.

I imagine that I might meet most other posters' definition of a liberal, but I was also a vocal Obama critic & I haven't voted Democrat in the last 20 years. Rainmaker is surely one of the loudest liberal voices on this board, and he will happily trounce Democratic leadership all day long.

The lack of voices directly defending Donald Trump's words & actions in that particular thread probably has a lot more to do with Trump being a mealy-mouthed moron, rather than any kind of liberal bullying, and there's a massive 8-year-long Obama-Presidency-thread, filled with plenty of loud conservative voices, to support that viewpoint.

The repeated suggestion that there's only one or two dissenting voices of reason on this board is beyond tiresome.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #3566
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, those body cameras are very unreliable. they should probably wear 2.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #3567
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Man this sucks on all facets.
I dont really have anything to add that will move the discussion positively along but just a few segmented thoughts.

- The prior posted VEN diagram is exactly where I fall.

- There is an uncomfortable, albeit not exactly parallel, similarity in the "those doing destruction in the name of BLM arent true BLM" and the decades old bullshit heritage vs hate flag argument. At some point if you dont control your brand from bastardization the new message becomes your message by your silence. You promote what you permit as they say. (For clarity sake I think BLM started from a good place and is getting drug towards bad where as I think the flag wavers started from a bad place and got drug further evil - not equating them just noting the similarity)

- The data is damn near impossible and far too nuanced to flesh out, imo.
More "whites" are killed by cops than "blacks".
Per capita (many) more "blacks" are killed than "whites".
However corrected for % of arrested/convicted criminals fewer "blacks" are killed at a lower rate than "whites".
That data is useless because the arrest numbers are skewed by biased policing.
I just dont think we can get usable data there for either side - except
1) police kill far too many citizens for my liking.
2) neither white nor hispanics are nearly as passionate when police murder their populace. If the real issue is criminal justice reform the other groups need to step up and draw attention as well and not allow that to get deluded into a purely racial issue. (To be 100% clear I think there definitely IS a large racial component, I just dont think its the sole issue. I'd like to see police stop killing most people of all races)
3) I really wonder what my oldest daughter would be labeled were she in these statistics...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-01-2020 at 05:12 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #3568
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Surprise? It's unfortunate that the possibility of mechanical failure continues to makes it impossible to have some kind of zero-tolerance policy for body cam issues.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #3569
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #3570
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #3571
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #3572
RainMaker
General Manager

I should add that most of these videos posted are of actual crimes committed by officers. A good way to ease tension and gain back trust would be to fire and arrest them for their crimes.

Also should add that giving officers a bunch of fancy weapons without training is a dangerous move. Many videos show them misusing the rubber baton rounds. They aren't meant to be shot at people but instead the ground so that they can bounce up and smack someone's legs.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-01-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #3573
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #3574
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, I saw that live!

Also, this speech is not going to go over well with everyone, I don't think.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #3575
RainMaker
General Manager

They just tear gassed a peaceful protest in the park so Trump can get a photo-op walking to the church.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #3576
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

"dominate"
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #3577
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Meaning what exactly?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #3578
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Meaning what exactly?

You called it a riot. It was obviously anything but a riot.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #3579
cuervo72
Head Coach

A Bible photo-op.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #3580
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just from a quick google Long Beach has experienced it's share of rioting and looting.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #3581
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Just from a quick google Long Beach has experienced it's share of rioting and looting.

You know what, you're right. It was obviously the biggest riot. The best riot. The greatest riot ever. I'm surprised there are survivors to walk away to tell the story. Mobilize the army and lets get CPS on those parents.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #3582
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You know what, you're right. It was obviously the biggest riot. The best riot. The greatest riot ever. I'm surprised there are survivors to walk away to tell the story. Mobilize the army and lets get CPS on those parents.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #3583
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You called it a riot. It was obviously anything but a riot.

One of our sons is stationed at Seal Beach and lives in Long Beach. He said it was pretty bad in the down town area last night. Played out like it has across the country, things good until night fall, then people come out that just want to destroy shit and completely overshadow the people who are truly there to support a cause.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #3584
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
One of our sons is stationed at Seal Beach and lives in Long Beach. He said it was pretty bad in the down town area last night. Played out like it has across the country, things good until night fall, then people come out that just want to destroy shit and completely overshadow the people who are truly there to support a cause.

Which is obviously the case in most places and the Long Beach paper made it clear that it was peaceful during the day. I'm not arguing that it isn't bad in certain areas or after dark.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #3585
JPhillips
General Manager

I really think a better President could appeal to protestors to help identify the looters so that the protests can be heard. Trump can't do that. But just as with COVID, I bet any of the past four Presidents would have handled this better.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #3586
RainMaker
General Manager

What does any of that have to do with police pointing a weapon at a child?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #3587
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Yourself, Tarcone, Brian Swartz, Arles, NobodyHere, CU Tiger, JIMGA & panerd himself are some names that easily & immediately come to my mind, in terms of folks that will regularly post non-liberal, political viewpoints.

Missed by 2. But I don't really count JIMGA anymore (sorry JIMGA). He doesn't really post that much in the political threads anymore. I sorted members list by last posted (e.g. today) and I swag 40+ liberals or somewhat liberals. The 40+ is probably on the low end TBH.

Quote:
I imagine that I might meet most other posters' definition of a liberal, but I was also a vocal Obama critic & I haven't voted Democrat in the last 20 years. Rainmaker is surely one of the loudest liberal voices on this board, and he will happily trounce Democratic leadership all day long.

I don't call myself liberal or conservative but according to those surveys I lean moderate conservative. I have voted for both parties.

RM is a socialist democrat and believes Hillary is a Republican (or leans that way) ... apologies in advance if I got that wrong.

Quote:
The repeated suggestion that there's only one or two dissenting voices of reason on this board is beyond tiresome.

I have not described it as such so I assume this is directed at Panerd. I have described it as an echo chamber and believe it to be true. Out of curiosity - do you deny its an liberal-or-like echo chamber?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #3588
HerRealName
College Prospect

Just back from a peaceful march in Frisco. We didn't make it the whole distance due to my son's disability but it was a great turnout for a quiet suburb.

One notable outcome is that it's very interesting to see fake news in action. Our old HOA has these brick divider walls that border the main roads from the neighborhood. These stupid walls are always falling apart and different sections are repaired annually.

A pile of bricks was delivered to the neighborhood (just like every other year for the last 7 or so years) and now MAGA'ites including James Woods are freaking out about it. It's absolutely hilarious that our old HOA is now antifa.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #3589
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I think your problem is there is no twitter evidence, maybe you need to post some?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #3590
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I say yes to echo chamber - I think I'm really an interesting case study there because my positions average out to moderate, some liberal and some conservative, but you'd think I'm to the right of Attila the Hun sometimes by the discourse. Other times it's far more reasonable.

There's definitely more than one or two overall dissenters. But the thing is JIMGA rarely posts because he's not much the debating type, and I think CU Tiger is the only other one who could properly be called conservative by US standards (left-right isn't the right metric anyway, but I don't want to shoehorn that whole thing in). So there's more than a couple dissenters, but it does lean heavily left to the point of being in danger of toppling over.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #3591
RainMaker
General Manager

I am in no ways a socialist and have spoken out loudly against bailouts and the nationalization of corporate losses.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #3592
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Many videos show them misusing the rubber baton rounds. They aren't meant to be shot at people but instead the ground so that they can bounce up and smack someone's legs.

Curious where you heard that because the training from the literal company that manufactures the rounds specifically states where to aim and the rubber baton rounds are to be aimed at certain points of the body and not skipped.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #3593
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
�� Mayor of #Louisville: The body cameras of those involved in the shooting last night that killed David McAtee were NOT active.

The Chief of Police has been relieved.
— Cal Perry (@CalNBC) June 1, 2020

Considering how much stuff was going on there, damn. At least there's some good news. It's not great news as he was set to retire in a month anyways because of Breonna Taylor

Louisville Police Chief Steve Conrad to retire in June in wake of controversial Breonna Taylor shooting | In-depth | wdrb.com

SI

Old 06-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #3594
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I really think a better President could appeal to protestors to help identify the looters so that the protests can be heard. Trump can't do that. But just as with COVID, I bet any of the past four Presidents would have handled this better.

I agree with you. Trump is incapable of bringing together all parties. He has his hardcore 38-42% and that is what he is appealing to.

I'm not sure any President could have prevented the protests, rioting/looting (especially with the pent up COVID self-isolate) but Presidents can shorten it by showing sympathy, promising to look into it, setting up a commission etc.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #3595
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I am in no ways a socialist and have spoken out loudly against bailouts and the nationalization of corporate losses.

Wait, aren't you a Bernie supporter? I said socialist democrat not a socialist.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #3596
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Curious where you heard that because the training from the literal company that manufactures the rounds specifically states where to aim and the rubber baton rounds are to be aimed at certain points of the body and not skipped.

Twitter pundits and commentaries is my guess.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #3597
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with police pointing a weapon at a child?

It was the small child's fault that a cop pointed a weapon at her because it was a riot, right?

SI

Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #3598
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Out of curiosity - do you deny its an liberal-or-like echo chamber?

Nope, not at all. I'm sure that makes it difficult for posters of other stripes here sometimes.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #3599
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

How the heck do you shoot tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protestors so you can take a picture in front of a church holding a Bible? And if you do that, how could you have not at least learned to hold a Bible like you have actually seen one before?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #3600
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post

The British were the first to use then in Northern Ireland. They were meant to be shot in front of the protest line and skip across the ground. It was why they used rubber. In fact the British stopped using them (and switched to a different method) when they found out soldiers were shooting at people which caused serious injury and death.

The company can state what they want, I am just telling you what rubber bullets were designed for.