Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #851
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
This field looks terrible. Players slipping all over on both sides

Having been at the game, that stuck out to me as well. It was wet in Phoenix in the days leading up to the game, and I know they keep the field outside there... I was wondering if they just didn't dry the field out enough before the game itself or what. I don't know what was going on, figured the field should've been pristine.

Some of the other takes in here I'll agree with:

Not sure how they overturned the catch / fumble based on what the original call was. However, OSU scored on the ensuing drive, so not sure it was the game changer people made it out to be.

Dobbins is a hell of a player. When OSU was trying to run with Dobbins out, you could see the drop-off... him being banged up was a big deal.

Clemson is going to have a time with LSU... but so will LSU with Clemson. It should be another great game. It being in New Orleans could be the tipping point.

OSU fans were pretty obnoxious in the stadium prior to the game... even moreso at 16-0... as a reformed OSU fan, and still are my #2, I don't identify with the obnoxiousness and it really bugs me. My wife got taunted more than once. The OSU fans we sat next to (in the Clemson section) cheered when Trevor Lawrence went down injured. Some lady behind us was yelling to "rip his fucking head off" on every kickoff. WTF people? It's a game. You're not playing. These are kids. Calm fucking down.

Great game, great sporting event to attend.

Last edited by Butter : 12-30-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #852
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
OSU fans were pretty obnoxious

Every team has it's asshats but this is the thing about OSU's resurgence that bothers me. A team you don't play for -- a school you might not have even gone to -- doing well in one fringe aspect (football) doesn't give you carte blanche to be a dick. Be respectful of your opponent and their fans -- even TTUN. I loved when Urban preached that but some fans don't seem to take it to heart.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #853
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
A team you don't play for -- a school you might not have even gone to

"Sidewalk alums" are the scourge of a lot of fanbases
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #854
HerRealName
College Prospect

Sorry for the assholes.

FWIW, the drive following that fumble replay ended with a Fields interception.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #855
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Sorry for the assholes.

FWIW, the drive following that fumble replay ended with a Fields interception.

Correct. Saw that about 20 minutes ago.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #856
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
...My wife got taunted more than once...

Right now I'm imagining an OSU fan yelling in a bad French accent. "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
Old 12-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #857
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Unconfirmed reports (but several of those) that he was hit by a train sometime early this morning. Gowdy was the highest rated (4*) receiver recruit for GT since Calvin Johnson and was due to arrive in Atlanta as an early-enrollee next week

Georgia Tech signee Bryce Gowdy dies
Old 12-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #858
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
"Sidewalk alums" are the scourge of a lot of fanbases

ISU fans call them Tavern Hoks in Iowa.

Sorry about the loss of the young man. Always a horrible thing when a young person dies.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #859
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They’re called “Wal-Mart Wolverines” here.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 AM   #860
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They’re called “Wal-Mart Wolverines” here.

Thats the whole fanbase though....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:52 AM   #861
RendeR
Coordinator

THe reversal on the catch/fumble was huge in that it was a huge lift at the time and would have propelled the team further but then gets derailed by first the reversal, then the interception by fields.

That entire turnover/non turnover swap was the biggest dynamic change in the game.

That said it was a very GOOD game, officiating aside.

I think LSU wrecks Clemson.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #862
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I think LSU wrecks Clemson.

I think this will be interesting.
Going into Saturday I said the Clemson-OSU game was for the national championship. Lsu sure looked impressive against Oklahoma though.

Without question this LSU offense is the most dynamic offense Ive seen in college football.

But their Defense 1-11 is a, significant notch below Ohio State in my opinion.

As a fan I feel very nervous going against this LSU monster.

My analytical mind however says last year's Bama team was the most dynamic offense I'd ever seen before this year's LSU team. Of course the front 4 for Clemson this year doesnt compare to last year.

If Clemson wins this game, and I think they have a real chance to either win or to get blown out by LSU, the story after the game will be how LSU out gained Clemson but couldnt convert in the redzone. Much like OSU in the first half and much like Bama in last year's NCG. Close observers will notice that is Venable's MO against explosive offenses. Shrink the field and neutralize the athletic component. Allow them to move, keep it in front and then clamp down in the red zone.

I hope he can do it again.

I also think there is something to be learned from the LSU-Auburn film.

Finally I think without hesitation this is the best offense LSU has seen this year as well.

Who wins?
It'll be fun. I'll be there stirring shit with the coonasses though thats for sure.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #863
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

dola - specifically regarding the catch/no catch..

Its the only play I can ever remember feeling this precise way about. I think the final call is correct for what happened. I thought live it was incomplete and watching replay I still feel that way. However I do not think it should have been overturned.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #864
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
dola - specifically regarding the catch/no catch..

Its the only play I can ever remember feeling this precise way about. I think the final call is correct for what happened. I thought live it was incomplete and watching replay I still feel that way. However I do not think it should have been overturned.

100% agree.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #865
JPhillips
General Manager

I get Venables' plan, but the Bucks would have scored twice if Dobbins could have held onto the ball.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #866
Butter
Coordinator

Fields would've thrown 4 picks if 2 DBs could hold onto the ball. Lots of ifs in this game.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #867
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Fields would've thrown 4 picks if 2 DBs could hold onto the ball. Lots of ifs in this game.

But that has nothing to do with the contention that Clemson wins by limiting red zone drives to field goals. Twice in the first half it had nothing to do with the defense, but instead ended in three because of drops by Dobbins.

In the first half, at least, Clemson's defense wasn't the primary reason the Bucks didn't score more.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #868
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But that has nothing to do with the contention that Clemson wins by limiting red zone drives to field goals. Twice in the first half it had nothing to do with the defense, but instead ended in three because of drops by Dobbins.

In the first half, at least, Clemson's defense wasn't the primary reason the Bucks didn't score more.

Not covering Dobbins out of the backfield was definitely part of the gameplan. Witness how quickly they marched down the field using him on the final drive. They were willing to allow him to beat them catching the ball if he could. He could not.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:58 PM   #869
JPhillips
General Manager

One he was covered pretty well and one was a screen where the whole defense was fooled.

It's okay to say that Clemson wasn't perfect. They won. They deserved to win. But they also benefited from OSU mistakes.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #870
tarcone
Coordinator

Turn 0-3 in the red zone to 3-3 and its 28-0 and the game is over.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #871
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Report: Bryce Gowdy's death ruled suicide

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #872
JPhillips
General Manager

Fuck depression. What a tragedy for the family.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #873
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Turn 0-3 in the red zone to 3-3 and its 28-0 and the game is over.

Absolutely.
All I'm saying is Clemson had something to do with that.
OSU is a hell of a team. They played a hell of a game. They could have won for sure.

I'm not arguing any of that.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #874
tarcone
Coordinator

Not arguing, just pointing out the ineptness of OSU or the red zone defense of Clemson was the deciding factor.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:07 PM   #875
MrBug708
Head Coach

The loser of the PAC-12 championship game is now 0-8 in bowl games
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #876
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
One he was covered pretty well and one was a screen where the whole defense was fooled.

It's okay to say that Clemson wasn't perfect. They won. They deserved to win. But they also benefited from OSU mistakes.

I mean they were down 16-0 which easily could've been 24-0 or worse. Each team benefitted from mistakes of the other at one point or the other. It really all came down to the last 3 minutes where one team executed and the other didn't.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #877
HerRealName
College Prospect

I was in a masochistic mood the other day and rewatched the game. Here are a couple takeaways:

1. Fields is a very good college QB but Lawrence is a generational type QB. He's the difference in this game.

2. Fields' injury had a big impact on the red zone issues. No excuse there, it's just a part of the game.

3. Clemson had some amazing play calls that made a big impact. That first interception trapped Fields completely. The CB blitzed and it looked like Victor was going to be open for a huge play. Simmons covers about 30 yards in 2 seconds and gets the easy pick.

The last Clemson TB was a thing of beauty. It looked like a power run play for Lawrence all the way until Etienne popped out of the backfield and the jump pass. Just kind of a tip of the hat type of situation.

I fully expect Clemson to give LSU a great game. I'm really looking forward to what Venables does to confuse Burrow. Venables did a great job making the adjustment to the OSU run game and Day found the counter a little too late to take advantage.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #878
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Not sure what happened to your link Jon so I am adding one from the local paper. Suicide was my initial thought when I read the story. Some of the details in the local story are particularly heartbreaking but all too familiar.

Teen football star Bryce Gowdy’s death ruled a suicide - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #879
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not sure what happened to your link Jon so I am adding one from the local paper. Suicide was my initial thought when I read the story. Some of the details in the local story are particularly heartbreaking but all too familiar.

Teen football star Bryce Gowdy’s death ruled a suicide - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

I didn't even realize they'd broken my original link. I've repaired it now with the new URL, I think it must have gotten broken when they updated the original story.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #880
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

QB Brock Vandagriff pulls commitment to Oklahoma

Despite playing for the local main rival, this kid is the best QB I've seen on the field here in the last decade. Not anything close even, incredibly dangerous with his arms and his legs. (I'd take him as a HS sophomore over the local kid Johnson that's now LSU bound as their next big thing)

Reading between the lines in his statement, which mentions the difficulty in going so far from home to play, I suspect that his largely lost season due to injury played a role in his outlook/attitude about it. (Also worth noting, perhaps, that he'd already said he'd reopen recruitment if Riley were to leave OU)
Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #881
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, well, well, Minnesota and Michigan ahead at half time.

Auburn cannot handle Minnys physicality. And Alabama is struggling with UMs strength.

Going to be some interesting football coming up.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #882
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
QB Brock Vandagriff pulls commitment to Oklahoma

Despite playing for the local main rival, this kid is the best QB I've seen on the field here in the last decade. Not anything close even, incredibly dangerous with his arms and his legs. (I'd take him as a HS sophomore over the local kid Johnson that's now LSU bound as their next big thing)

Reading between the lines in his statement, which mentions the difficulty in going so far from home to play, I suspect that his largely lost season due to injury played a role in his outlook/attitude about it. (Also worth noting, perhaps, that he'd already said he'd reopen recruitment if Riley were to leave OU)

SEC boosters opened up their wallets I see. Let the highest bidder win.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #883
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm sure OK boosters can meet any price. It's obviously the quality of women available
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #884
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm sure OK boosters can meet any price. It's obviously the quality of women available

Good point, Though, you would think USC would be world beaters.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #885
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas should have fired their coordinators before every game. That was a fun game to watch as a Longhorns fan.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #886
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Eh, this feels more like a personality thing to me.

His dad is his HC, he goes to a small Christian school with a K-12 enrollment of 700-800 students total. Missed most of the regular season with a broken foot and I suspect he started thinking about being 1,000 miles from home if a similar injury occurred.

Plus his mother is a double SEC grad (Auburn BS, Miss State Masters) and Dad graduated from Tennessee Wesleyan.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #887
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Eh, this feels more like a personality thing to me.

His dad is his HC, he goes to a small Christian school with a K-12 enrollment of 700-800 students total. Missed most of the regular season with a broken foot and I suspect he started thinking about being 1,000 miles from home if a similar injury occurred.

Plus his mother is a double SEC grad (Auburn BS, Miss State Masters) and Dad graduated from Tennessee Wesleyan.

Brock was really really high on Clemson, and his mom wanted him there supposedly.
But the depth chart was apparently his concern.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-02-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #888
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rather thorough bedshitting by Baylor against a Georgia team missing a ton of starters.

B12 is looking at 1-5 this bowl season
Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #889
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

3. Clemson had some amazing play calls that made a big impact. That first interception trapped Fields completely. The CB blitzed and it looked like Victor was going to be open for a huge play. Simmons covers about 30 yards in 2 seconds and gets the easy pick. .

Isaiah Simmons was recruited as a safety. He won the Butkus Award.

Ohio State's defense had an NFL secondary. Okudah is amazing. Arnette is such a competitor. Losing Wade was so huge.

If this game wasn't in New Orleans I'd be extremely confident that Clemson is winning this game. As it is, I think LSU is being overrated for destroying OU. But Clemson can't come out slow against LSU, or it will be a 20+ point deficit.

Last edited by Butter : 01-01-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #890
tarcone
Coordinator

B12 sucks. Why do you think a team that was essentially given a death penalty won 11 games 2 years later?

Old 01-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #891
Butter
Coordinator

This Rose Bowl protected 7 hour time slot needs to die. Yes I know I'm exaggerating. Yes I agree it's a special game. But only 4 games on New Year's with the final one ending sometime past 12:30 AM EST is some bullshit, and a lot of it has to do with accommodating the Rose Bowl.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #892
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
This Rose Bowl protected 7 hour time slot needs to die. Yes I know I'm exaggerating. Yes I agree it's a special game. But only 4 games on New Year's with the final one ending sometime past 12:30 AM EST is some bullshit, and a lot of it has to do with accommodating the Rose Bowl.

As a B1G fan. I was going to say something derogatory, but I wont. I will say that you are wrong. It is the granddaddy of them all and as long as we have a bowl system, you better get used to it.

The Rose bowl IS THE BEST

Old 01-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #893
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
B12 sucks. Why do you think a team that was essentially given a death penalty won 11 games 2 years later?

The NCAA hasn't even sanction Baylor yet. Penn State was actually sanctioned and didn't have a losing season. What's that say about the Big 10?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #894
Butter
Coordinator

The CFP semis can only be on New Year's Day once every 3 years because the Rose Bowl HAS to be at 2 PM PST or whatever. I like the game fine, but there's no reason that it is the only game that is inflexible.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:07 AM   #895
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
The CFP semis can only be on New Year's Day once every 3 years because the Rose Bowl HAS to be at 2 PM PST or whatever. I like the game fine, but there's no reason that it is the only game that is inflexible.

There is though, because it's the parade first, and the whole pageantry and history, plus all the money that TV makes off it all... you're essentially saying screw all of that just because it makes the later bowls finish past your bedtime.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #896
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There is though, because it's the parade first, and the whole pageantry and history.

This is some great reasoning
Old 01-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #897
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think this is one of those regional things.
Growing up in the SE the rose bowl is somewhere around the Citrus/Peach Bowl to me in terms of perceived importance.
Significantly behind the Orange, Sugar, Cotton and significantly ahead of the Tangerine, Blue Bonnet, Liberty Tier.

When I was younger and les traveled I never understood the whole "Grandaddy of them all" moniker or what the big deal was. Now I understand its cultural significance to that portion of the country and Ill watch the football. Still never going to watch the parade or halftime BS.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #898
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There is though, because it's the parade first, and the whole pageantry and history, plus all the money that TV makes off it all... you're essentially saying screw all of that just because it makes the later bowls finish past your bedtime.

Quote:
This is some great reasoning

It is though, because of the stuff you cut off in your post. The pageantry and history leads to the oodles of money that TV makes off it. Everyone knows about the Rose Bowl Parade and people will watch that even if they don't give two shits about football or the game.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #899
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually there is: the TV contract ESPN signed with them in 2012 prior to the details of the playoff even being worked out. That deal runs through Jan 1 2026 and costs ESPN an average $80m a year. The separate playoff deal for ESPN costs them an average of $470m a year.

And when one network has virtually all the bowl games overlap is a pretty big no-no, you're competing against yourself and that'd be kinda dumb (I was surprised that they allowed it at 1p yesterday honestly).

When you pays the money, you makes the rules. And sometimes your own contracts make the rules for you.

(And it's 4p Eastern that's the kickoff guarantee, though that's neither here nor there really)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #900
Butter
Coordinator

I get that the Rose Bowl thing is negotiated into the TV contract. Arguing that it shouldn't be. The 2 semifinals should be on New Year's Day. I also get that ESPN is not thrilled about major overlap between the bowls. However, there used to be 5-6 games, including 3-4 early games, even just a couple of years ago. Much more enjoyable, for me at least.

Just wondering why the pageantry would be so markedly reduced by being on December 31st or January 2nd.

Last edited by Butter : 01-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.