Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #1601
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Wow. Angry Birds Star Wars has exceeded my expectations. Best use of the SW franchise that I have seen in quite some time.

I love the Obi Wan bird and his "force" ability.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-08-2012 at 07:57 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1602
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
If you have Carcassonne, it works well on iPad, as well. Further, it's seamless between the devices so you can play a turn at work on your iPhone an then another turn at home on your iPad.

I really like that about Cracassonne since I too have it on both my iPhone and my iPad. It's also very nice to play with on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I also started using the Pages app for NaNoWriMo, using it in conjunction with the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover to write. It's a nice app.

Funny you mention that keyboard since I also bought one although it's on the way and I've yet to use it. Looked like the best possible option out there...

All in all, I really like my iPad, but I'm still looking wide eyed and trying stuff.

You mentioned Pocket RPG, I just realized I had bought the specific iPhone version when it was available for only 99 cents, not the universal version. Might be tempted to eventually pick up the universal version...

FM
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #1603
Buccaneer
Head Coach

With my week-old iPhone, I am now just finding out that many of my favorite games have an iPhone version, some good, some bad. I found Pirates!, SimCity and the very first computer game I played in 1978 - Colossal Cave!! There are even hex-based Civil War games. Amazing.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #1604
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just upgraded from 3G to 4S. I must say I was skeptical about Siri but am completely sold, she is pretty awesome.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #1605
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fairway Solitare is free......

Free Fairway Solitaire Game for iPhone or iPod Touch - bigfishgames.com Deals, Coupons and Promos
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #1606
finketr
College Prospect

lathum,

my wife and i went from 3gs to 5's a few months ago.. it's fairl y nice having a phone that works again.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #1607
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
With my week-old iPhone, I am now just finding out that many of my favorite games have an iPhone version, some good, some bad. I found Pirates!, SimCity and the very first computer game I played in 1978 - Colossal Cave!! There are even hex-based Civil War games. Amazing.

I've found that those games are a lot easier on the eyes, when you throw them on an iPad.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #1608
Izulde
Head Coach

Ticket to Ride: Europe is free now through Sunday, I believe.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #1609
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Ticket to Ride: Europe is free now through Sunday, I believe.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #1610
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

App Shopper: Fluid Soccer (Games)

I think this is one of the games where I have found that the iPad version really brings something to it. I was really looking forward to its release but when it came out and I tried it on my iPhone, it was just too small but with the bigger screen, it's a lot of fun. Think a line drawing type game where you draw where your players are running and where you pass the ball...

Otherwise, I've been playing some silly little freemium from one developer: Tribez HD, Airport City, Big Business.

Still discovering stuff

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 11-16-2012 at 10:28 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1611
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Lost Winds 2 is free this weekend. It's a universal app and is a beautiful game. It's a platformer with gorgeous visuals and great audio, too. Haven't actually played the 2nd one yet, but the first one is so great, I can only imagine the 2nd is as well.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #1612
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
App Shopper: Fluid Soccer (Games)

I think this is one of the games where I have found that the iPad version really brings something to it. I was really looking forward to its release but when it came out and I tried it on my iPhone, it was just too small but with the bigger screen, it's a lot of fun. Think a line drawing type game where you draw where your players are running and where you pass the ball...

Otherwise, I've been playing some silly little freemium from one developer: Tribez HD, Airport City, Big Business.

Still discovering stuff

FM

I've been sucked in big time on Tribez. Airport City and Big Business didn't really do much for me, but I am most of the way through Tribez. It is a freemium game, but I haven't felt the need to pay for anything and I am progressing along fine.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #1613
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I've been sucked in big time on Tribez. Airport City and Big Business didn't really do much for me, but I am most of the way through Tribez. It is a freemium game, but I haven't felt the need to pay for anything and I am progressing along fine.

Tribez was on my iPhone for a long while although I never really tried to get into it, maybe because of the small screen. Now I reinstalled the HD version on my iPad and I too turn to it now more than to the other two. It's simple, cartoony and not too hard to progress through...

FM
Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #1614
RainRaven
High School JV

Anybody have any experience with pro football strategy 2012? Seems to be a season play coach sim for nfl football.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #1615
Raiders Army
Coordinator

ActMonitor is free: ActMonitor for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The app shows you system info about your device. It takes almost no space and really easy to use.

✧ Information about the network.
✧ Wi-Fi, Edge/3G/LTE and Bluetooth traffic.
✧ Battery level, status and remainng life (estimated).
✧ Memory status.
✧ Disk free space information.
✧ Processes list (To show system processes just pull list down).
✧ Device identity (device name, os version, UDID (if available)) wich can be sent by email
✧ Other detail info about Apple devices.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #1616
Raiders Army
Coordinator

By the way, Trade Mania is an awesome game. My wife is really addicted. It's like a Monopoly type game.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1617
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
By the way, Trade Mania is an awesome game. My wife is really addicted. It's like a Monopoly type game.

Thanks, I'm going to get that. What are other trading games (not necessarily properties) that are like this?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #1618
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
Anybody have any experience with pro football strategy 2012? Seems to be a season play coach sim for nfl football.

I would like to learn the same.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #1619
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to get that. What are other trading games (not necessarily properties) that are like this?

Forgot to mention that we have the iPad version.

I'm not sure what other games are out there that are like that; if you find one, let me know.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #1620
RainRaven
High School JV

All right, took the plunge on Pro Football Strategy 2012. First warning, if you are looking for a career sim keep on going. Now the good news, I think if you go in with the proper expectations that it is a fun recreation of football. Essentially you choose the type of play (offense or defense) whatever you are on and hit the go button. You will then see in tecmo bowl type graphics the result of the play. You have plenty of options on both sides of the ball in the type of play, player to target, people to blitz etc.

I finished playing one game in the season as the Ravens and beat the Browns 14-0. The option exists to play multiplayer using GC. I am concerned though with the amount of time an async game would last but it is nice to have the option. In total, I think as a football fan you would get your 4.99 worth and I look forward to seeing what further updates the developer puts out going forward.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #1621
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Forgot to mention that we have the iPad version.

I'm not sure what other games are out there that are like that; if you find one, let me know.

Yeah, like the Pirates game, it is a bit small for the iPhone. However, the game is very addictive; I was up way too late last night playing this.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #1622
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just unlocked the second island on Tribez HD and that makes it interesting. I mean, they show something like 6 separate islands in the game so there is a ton or gameplay to still happen... It's mindless playing but fun enough to keep me playing...

FM
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #1623
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
just unlocked the second island on Tribez HD and that makes it interesting. I mean, they show something like 6 separate islands in the game so there is a ton or gameplay to still happen... It's mindless playing but fun enough to keep me playing...

FM

I started playing when there were only 4 islands, so I got to see the addition of islands 5 and 6. The fact that the game is still growing keeps me very interested. Just when I was getting close to having all of the land unlocked, here comes a whole new island that I haven't seen yet.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #1624
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I started playing when there were only 4 islands, so I got to see the addition of islands 5 and 6. The fact that the game is still growing keeps me very interested. Just when I was getting close to having all of the land unlocked, here comes a whole new island that I haven't seen yet.

yeah, and the immediate difference between island 1 and 2 had that same effect on me. If they can reinvent the story by changing the habitat like that, it bodes well for me discovering and having fun with islands 3 to 6 and by the time I get to island 6, there might be something like 8 islands at that time...

FM
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #1625
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

for anybody interested, Pitfall is free for the weekend, down from 99 cents. It's a 3D endless runner but just the mention of the name has brought back so many memories of my Intellivison for the good old days

Looks quite nice on the iPad...

FM
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #1626
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I hate you for ruining my life.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #1627
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I hate you for ruining my life.

+1

I was up until 1:30am both Friday and Saturday night playing this. Both games were very easy even though I customized the second one (normal difficulty). Maybe for the third I'll put it on hard and add a 4th opponent. But it is very addicting, I couldn't stop playing until I won.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #1628
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Vector is a very nice parkour type endless runner with swipe gestures. The animation of the HD version on the iPad is very lifelike, very well done.

TradeMania is now on my appshopper wishlist although I just have too much to play with right now to pay full price. Will wait to see if the price drops, and it will, since it has moved quite a bit in the last 6 months. I love appshopper

FM
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #1629
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wait a minute. In a forum where most of us have paid/are paying $30-$50 for games, now you're quibbling about the difference between $0.99, $1.99 and $2.99??
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #1630
QuikSand
lolzcat

Welcome to the app economy. Leave your common sense behind, please.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #1631
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Market Price" on basically everything is .99 and you feel dumb for exceeding that. I ended up begrudgingly spending 6.99 on Minecraft the other day and felt like a fool. It is what it is.

Also what's the deal with some apps being available in a lite/free version on Android but not on ios. The last couple Angry Birds, for example
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1632
spleen1015
Coordinator

GTA: Vice City 10th Anniversary Edition coming to iOS on 12/6 for $4.99.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #1633
samifan24
Pro Starter

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (for the iPad) should be out tomorrow or Friday.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #1634
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Wait a minute. In a forum where most of us have paid/are paying $30-$50 for games, now you're quibbling about the difference between $0.99, $1.99 and $2.99??

yes, and as others have said, it's only a matter of the beast that is the app store and its market. That and I have like maybe 50-60 games I want to visit, so I don't really need to go pay RIGHT NOW for something that will sit on my iPad when it will probably go down in price over time. Especially since appshopper shows its price moving in the last 6 months or so.

It might be only me, but I very rarely pay 30-50$ for games nowadays, thanks to Steam and its sales, so it's kinda normal for me to wait for price drops in the app store also...

FM
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #1635
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I paid full price for all the FMHi versions that have come out as well as for Carcassonne and probably would have paid way more than what I paid for them and still get my money's worth...

Matter of comparing the price with what's available...

FM
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #1636
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'll piggyback on what FrogMan said re: waiting for apps to drop.

I pay full price for apps I know I'm going to use all the time but when it comes to games, I'll just throw anything into Appshopper so that I get notified when the price drops. I don't game much on my iPad but I like to have options when I do.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #1637
Desnudo
Coordinator

Anyone else been using Waze as the map app? Social map app that includes user reports of speed traps, traffic, accidents, etc.. I was suprised at the amount of reports in my area, so not just a Bay Area thing.

Also will apparently learn your preferred routes once you drive them a few times

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-30-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #1638
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Anyone else been using Waze as the map app? Social map app that includes user reports of speed traps, traffic, accidents, etc.. I was suprised at the amount of reports in my area, so not just a Bay Area thing.

Also will apparently learn your preferred routes once you drive them a few times

I have been using Waze lately and have also been surprised at the number of reports I see in Wisconsin. I don't drive a lot, but I have found it useful when I do drive.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #1639
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I played my first game, like the concept a lot ( mash up of Monopoly, Life, and Dope Wars) but I think it needs to go a couple levels deeper than what I see so far to really have staying power.

Worth five bucks easily, but a long time favorite... We'll see.

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #1640
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I played my first game, like the concept a lot ( mash up of Monopoly, Life, and Drug Wars) but I think it needs to go a couple levels deeper than what I see so far to really have staying power.

I played my third game last night and I am still using the same winning pattern that I did in my first game. The last two games were at Hard and it didn't seem to make a difference. I would be trading in the $500,000-1,000,000+ range while the opponents were in the $50,000-100,000 range. Having all of that money allows me to do things that would make it impossible for me to lose, as well as to accelerate the opponent's demise.

Like QS said, it is a quality game - each game can take 2 hours to play - but there is no depth in game events and strategies to affect the predictable and inevitable outcome.

I just opened up New York so we'll see how that goes, but that's all of the cities (I think). Maybe I play too much PC strategy games to have the proper perspective on phone/pad apps. At least with Monopoly, things can go badly for you; I just don't see that happening in Trade Mania. But I do highly recommend it. I got 6 hours of gameplay for, what, $3 and it is addictive, just not challenging.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #1641
QuikSand
lolzcat

Pretty much what I foresee, Bucc. Not sure a MP game would really add much - everything I'm doing seems completely obvious and the only differentials among rational player seem like they'd come from random spins, cards, and the like.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #1642
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Into the Dead is a great free game. It's an endless runner from a first person perspective and you're running away from zombies. You can pick up weapons to kill them. It's got IAPs but you don't need them since the missions are fairly easy enough.

Also for iPad users, Baldur's Gate just came out about 50 minutes ago.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #1643
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I played my first game, like the concept a lot ( mash up of Monopoly, Life, and Dope Wars) but I think it needs to go a couple levels deeper than what I see so far to really have staying power.

Yep. I'm not sure I want to play it often as a game will often take a couple of hours. It's ridiculously easy but a fun game, if that makes sense.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #1644
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
It's ridiculously easy but a fun game, if that makes sense.

Pretty much my experience with the Kairosoft games - nearly any sensible path leads to success, but the incremental progress is still oddly engaging.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #1645
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yeah, it comes down to a game of how quickly you can bankrupt an opponent and to win the game since it is probably impossible to lose without house rules. I look forward to playing New York this weekend. Maybe adding a fourth opponent will make a little difference?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-07-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #1646
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Baldur's Gate iPad edition is out now...requires iOS6 but they're trying to make it iOS5 compatible.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #1647
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So this week I've dropped about $20 on iTunes apps. I've gotten Baldur's Gate, Minigore Zombies 2, Sweatshop Premium (which is funny, but not funny...not sure I can recommend), Charlie Brown Christmas (which I can recommend if you have a young'un).

Moving Christmas is free, although it has a definite Al Gore save the Earth slant. I can recommend this to iPad users.

For iPhone/iPod/iPad users, I can heartily recommend Into the Dead. For the money I've spent on apps, this free app has taken the most of my time. I ran my battery on my iPhone down to 55% which is something I rarely do. I cannot recommend this game enough. The IAP are not necessary and it's great with headphones or through the speaker.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #1648
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, it comes down to a game of how quickly you can bankrupt an opponent and to win the game since it is probably impossible to lose without house rules. I look forward to playing New York this weekend. Maybe adding a fourth opponent will make a little difference?

I did make a difference even though I thoroughly won in the end. The extra opponent plus needing 90% for New York made for a tougher and looong game (over 3 hours). Two opponents were eliminated fairly quickly, then third eventually bankrupted. It got down to a duel and I kept loading up on move forward/backward cards so I don't land on any of his expensive rents. I was paying $75+k for each in the end but that bought me time to have him land on my expensive rents ($200+k). It then reached a point of inevitability but it still took an hour just between him and me.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #1649
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Bucc, the game doesn't get any harder, even on New York with as many opponents as possible. I find going back to Seattle with 4 computer opponents presents a bit more of a challenge since there are 5 people competing for very limited properties.

Also, buying move forward/back cards is a huge exploit. the AI doesn't purchase these cards. They only use what they get when they spin the wheel so if you want a house rule, there is your first one: no buying cards.

Like others have said, it is a pretty easy game, but it is still oddly fun to play through.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #1650
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Marm, I agree with you, it just seems the obvious thing to do. I'll make this my first house rule because the game is addictive and I look forward to playing it on weekend nights (into early morning).