Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #1801
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Just got an email from HBO saying that HBO GO will now be viewable on the Apple TV through Airplay. That's going to be fantastic - lots of great content on there. You still have to be a subscriber to HBO, though.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 02-14-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #1802
samifan24
Pro Starter

The iOS version of Le Havre is 99 cents this weekend. It's supposed to be a very deep adaptation of the board game. TK, FrogMan, you in?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #1803
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Le Havre is a great iOS board game in my opinion if you are into that style of game (like Stone Age, Puerto Rico, San Juan, etc). I played it for weeks when I got it but of course I have like 100 different iOS board gAmes and love almost all of them though

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #1804
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Le Havre is a great iOS board game in my opinion if you are into that style of game (like Stone Age, Puerto Rico, San Juan, etc). I played it for weeks when I got it but of course I have like 100 different iOS board gAmes and love almost all of them though

What are your top 10 that you own?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #1805
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What are your top 10 that you own?

My daughters or wife and I played Ticket to Ride a bunch as well as Fluxx a ton. Both are pretty good adaptations in my mind. (my wife actually likes playing Ticket to Ride Europe better though, but I am more of a fan of the original). Lately my wife and I play a ton of Carcassonne together which may be my favorite multi-player board game. We also really enjoy Small World alot, but only play that as pass and play (it is ipad only).

Those tend to be the only ones the rest of my family play. I play a ton of others by myself though, to try to group my favorites I would say...

For Deck bulding games, I own a few different ones, but Ascension is absolutely great and very deep and I have spent way too much time playing that one against the AI. I hear that it is even more fun playing against people.

For co-op multiplayer games that I played by myself I liked Forbidden isle a bit, and played Elder Signs some, but my favorite is easily Ghost Stories.

I own a ton of Reiner Knizia games, which may or may not appeal to others but I find them pretty fun quick little games to play. The one I have been playing alot lately is called Money but I have also spent a ton of time playing Ra, Tigris and Euphrates, Lost Cities.

And then for other Euro builder type games, I really enjoyed LeHavre for a while, and played Puerto Rico a ton until I bought San Juan and now prefer that one instead. Stone Age is another fun game like that too (make sure you get Stone Age board game and not the MMPORG game).

Some other games that I liked that don't really fit a category is Dominant Species, Caylus, Alien Frontiers, Yggdrasil.

To be honest what I started doing was going to boardgamegeek and just looking through people's geeklists for IOS games and found most of these through that. Some other good choices outt here I am sure that I havent bought yet. Since I had surgery in December, I spent a ton of time in bed playing ipad games though

Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #1806
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Mission 4 took about 2 hours to do and mission 5 a little less. Before going on to other 45 missions, I'm going to start over and play on Hard.

FWIW, I play Trade Mania about 4 times a week and got it to where I would lose about half the time. Not being able to avoid the huge tax hits and enormous rents can wipe out $2m very quickly. I also won a game where the opponent had $2m to my $50k.

Picked up great big war game and definitely harder. Level 4 and 5 were ok but 6 is giving me real trouble on medium.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #1807
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Picked up great big war game and definitely harder. Level 4 and 5 were ok but 6 is giving me real trouble on medium.

I found 6 to be thfirst real challenge on medium too. My first attempt on level 7 isn'nt going great either!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #1808
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I found Mission 6 to be fairly easy - just mine the heck out of the approaches (and keep mining) and sit back in your defenses and wait for them. The "survive for X days" are all like that (same with Mission 8) since if they get hit hard early, then they will become less aggressive.

Mission 7? Yikes, that one took me 5-7 tries (do-overs) just to get started. They key is attack the first wave and then breakout your units, esp. on the right side. On that side, have three Engineers in line with covering units and get that vehicle barracks converted asap. The longer you wait, the more vehicles the AI will send right up to your lines. Once you got that converted, the rest is easy.

Mission 8 is very fun and easy but wait until you guys hit Mission 9.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #1809
saldana
Pro Starter

can anyone recommend a nice casual game that i can play against my GF...we have been playing Ruzzle, but have gotten bored with it...the only real catch is that she is on an iphone and i am on a droid

thanks
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #1810
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
can anyone recommend a nice casual game that i can play against my GF...we have been playing Ruzzle, but have gotten bored with it...the only real catch is that she is on an iphone and i am on a droid

thanks

I have mentioned before, Bike Race is fun.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #1811
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I have mentioned before, Bike Race is fun.

hey, it's your turn, btw.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #1812
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Never posted, but I picked up Le Havre and Bike Race. Haven't played with either yet, but when I do, if it's not tied to GameCenter, then it'll be my usual username if possible, terpkristin

I'm not sure what my internet access will be like when I'm on travel, but assuming I have access, I'll probably try them then...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #1813
henry296
College Starter

Picked up LeHavre as well but haven't tried it yet. I am playing a decent amount of ticket to ride if anyone wants to play. I'm henry296 on Game Center.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #1814
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Never posted, but I picked up Le Havre and Bike Race. Haven't played with either yet, but when I do, if it's not tied to GameCenter, then it'll be my usual username if possible, terpkristin

I'm not sure what my internet access will be like when I'm on travel, but assuming I have access, I'll probably try them then...

/tk

I picked up Le Havre too so shoot me an invite when you settle in from your travels.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #1815
henry296
College Starter

Civ revolution on sale for 99 cents
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #1816
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I got totally sucked into SpaceChem this week. Pretty cool puzzle game where you build little factories that produce chemicals through ingenuity and fake chemistry. Absolutely addicting.

i'm having real trouble getting up the learning curve without growing bored and frustrated... i sense a good game there, just not seeing it yet
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #1817
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

maybe I'm justt cheap but I don't have a real problem with Real Racing 3's timers, at least not for now. Was able to wear down my first car a lot, yet earned enough money to buy my second car and once you have 2 or more, timers are not that big a deal since when you get one fixed, you can still race with your other cars...

FM
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #1818
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

RR3 says I have now played it for about 5 and a half hours and honestly, the timers have not stopped me once, not once. The graphics are freakishly gorgeous, really a beautiful game to play. Tracks are amazing. I'm up to level 12 with 3 cars in my garage and some 71 gold helmets (premium currency) accumulated through level ups and other achievements in the game. That is enough to get me one of the cars that can be only bought with gold. Oh, sure, one of the 46 available cars is selling for 800 gold helmets and I doubt I will ever to that level, but I'm thinking I can play a very long time until I simply get to have 20-30 cars in my garage.

Driving is fairly easy, yet still challenging. I really like this game. It's a big download though. Just over 700mb download but once installed, it uses 1.8 GB on my iPad...

FM
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #1819
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I agree about rr3. I am traveling a bunch this month so this has been great for me on my ipad. I did have to delete quite a lot to get it to fit on my ipad, but I have been playing it a bunch.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #1820
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
i'm having real trouble getting up the learning curve without growing bored and frustrated... i sense a good game there, just not seeing it yet

I did really well, until I hit this crazy full screen(top to bottom) molecule with alternating double bonds. It was completely engrossing for me. I really enjoyed the "production" levels where you had to build a series of factories to accomplish a task, but I haven't seen one in many levels.

I've gone to youtube a few times, just to get some ideas on different ways to approach a solution. Even without copying the solution exactly, I've been able to improve my designs just by incorporating some fresh ideas.

Now I have to get over the hurdle of this one huge molecule. I was very close, but my submission failed. It turns out I missed a detail in the desired outcome. Just that feeling was brutal. I'd worked on this thing for two hours, and I was pretty much going to have to rip half or more of my design out.

It really is fun, but I'm with you. The game needs a little tweaking...a little more sand box maybe.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #1821
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
RR3 says I have now played it for about 5 and a half hours and honestly, the timers have not stopped me once, not once.

Agreed. Given the fact that I only spend 30 minutes at best with the game each day, it's not an issue at all!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #1822
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I just try to beat FM's times on each track, it is a never ending job!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #1823
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I just try to beat FM's times on each track, it is a never ending job!

hehehe, I was in an epic battle with you in a cup race at Southbank yesterday evening. Fought with you for almost a whole lap and passed you in the second to last corner to take 6th place or seomthing like that.

The start of cup races can be brutal, especially at Southbank. It sure does get crowded...

Now over 9 and a half hours into the game, I've done about 5% of the game, according to the number of events and I just love the game. Just love it.

FM
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1824
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just DLed RR3 the other day myself actually. It's a very pretty game.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #1825
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

if there's one thing that's buggy for now though it's that it's got a tendency to freeze when you get a notification while in-race. Anybody noticed that?

Just happened in a Cup race. Good thing, I was still in the first lap. Would have to have this happen around the middle of the final lap...

FM
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #1826
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I have jumped into the RR3 game as well. AlanT, DT, do I have your game center ID?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #1827
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just sent you a PM with it

Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #1828
SegRat
High School Varsity

I have been extremely impressed with the graphics for RR3.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #1829
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I have jumped into the RR3 game as well. AlanT, DT, do I have your game center ID?

nope - i think mine is daddytorgo though.

What does that mean? We can race each other? how does that even work? presumably we don't all have to be online and doing it at the same time, but it's asynchronous or something?

i just DLed the game...i suck...i'm sure you guys will smoke me.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1830
digamma
Torchbearer

My friends and I have been playing a lot of Open Face Chinese Poker.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #1831
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Do you guys use any amount of finesse in the cup races, or is it pretty much bumper-cars until you get into the open?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #1832
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do you guys use any amount of finesse in the cup races, or is it pretty much bumper-cars until you get into the open?

Bumper cars for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1833
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

'94 seconds' is a fun little free app. Shelf life is probably only a couple of days, but hey, it is free (with a couple optional in app purchases). It is basically solo play Scattegories.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #1834
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I seriously did the Supafly charity faceoff speed snap 15 times before I finally beat FM on it. Good grief!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1835
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

What level of assist are you guys using?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #1836
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What level of assist are you guys using?

I have everything on right now. I'm not a huge race car player, and am playing these while traveling.. so just do it for enjoyment.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1837
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I seriously did the Supafly charity faceoff speed snap 15 times before I finally beat FM on it. Good grief!

haha, you realise that this has caused me to tether my iPad to my iPhone, looking for that challenge and try to beat your time back during my lunch break, right?

I usually play offline on my lunch...

As for assists, these are probably the main reason why you are having a hard time beating my times. I have steering assist off, traction control on and braking assist set to LOW. Braking assist is the one that makes the most difference IMO. On HIGH, it brakes for nothing. Wouldn't dare putting it all off because at least on LOW it will compensate for a had turn I don't see in advance... I'm enjoying the game a lot with those, with the feeling I control a bit the car yet it's not a super crazy driving sim...

As for bumper cars, yeah, there's quite a bit of that but if you can find the inside track you can gain many spots in the first 3-4 turns. Then I really like when I'm in a one-on-one battle with a car that's barely slower than me and I have to be perfect in a few turns in a row before passing him...

FM
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #1838
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I'm saving my R$ to buy that Gallardo at 20% off. Now up to 87k out of th 135k needed. No upgrade to anything until I can buy it...

FM
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #1839
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

challenge met on my second try

did 100.67 on my first try, then 113.28 on my second try but thaw was with the BMW M Coupe that sticks to the road as crazy. No brakes at all on that little bend before that last straight...

FM
Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #1840
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't have that BMW, I have been mostly running in the Challenger which does about the opposite (ie: not stick to the road)

Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #1841
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Bought the Lamborghini Gallardo last night but with delivery time only got to try it over lunch today. Neat car but I'll try to play less bumper cars with it. Repairs cost a bit more than with the entry level cars

Was also able to afford the Porsche 918 RSR Concept that sells for 150 gold helmets. Can't wait to take out on the tracks!

FM
Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #1842
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

finished 6th in a cup on Laguna Seca with the Porsche and wow, what a ride. Very different driving, you can feel the speed and the acceleration...

FM
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #1843
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Any know if you can find RR3 friends across platforms? It appears iOS requires the gamecenter ID.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #1844
cougarfreak
College Starter

For those that have a Roku, there is a free app that turns your phone into a remote for the Roku that seems to work pretty well. Very handy.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #1845
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
For those that have a Roku, there is a free app that turns your phone into a remote for the Roku that seems to work pretty well. Very handy.

Thanks...this will be great for MLB.tv this season!
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #1846
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Thanks...this will be great for MLB.tv this season!

I came across that when looking for a universal remote app last night. I'm real late to the iPhone party.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1847
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't have that BMW, I have been mostly running in the Challenger which does about the opposite (ie: not stick to the road)

I'm really beginning to hate the site of that red Challenger. I see too much of it in my windshield and too little of it in my mirror.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #1848
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I have been extremely impressed with the graphics for RR3.

Yes. Very fun game and my number one battery killer at the moment.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #1849
Prinzar
n00b

RR3 seems the most advanced graphics game I've played on IOS. It's a great quick time waster, or a brilliant console style racer game.

I like how things take time. It's a bit annoying but it gives the game longevity. I only cleared my HD videos yesterday so I could download this game and I'm not disappointed.

Still stuck with my starting Silvia. I take it we can't sell cars? I'm using full assists for now and generally winning or coming 2nd without any trouble
Prinzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #1850
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm enjoying rr3 a lot. Having played forza helped a lot with track layouts.

Anyone have a tip on the best earning race? I only got like 3500 for a mclaren head to head which seems crazy low. Or are all the races about the same reward?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote