Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Game Review/Preview Site Recommendations?

Ok, so, over the years I used to always use IGN for my game reviews/previews. As I've gotten out of gaming a bit, I tend to only go there to look for specific games.

However, since I've started to gear up playing BF2/BF2142 and using my PS2 a bit more, I'm a bit more interested in the newer games out - particularly for the PC.

My problem is that I've never been all that happy with the coverage that IGN does for PC games. Especially with really having much in the way of items outside of the VERY mainstream games. I'm looking for sports and non-sports games, so the whole spectrum.

What do you guys recommend? I know that Gamespot is popular, but I've never been a huge fan of theirs. Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

GameRankings.com is an aggregator, so that should give you a fairly good idea of what the community in general is saying about a game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
GameRankings.com is an aggregator, so that should give you a fairly good idea of what the community in general is saying about a game.

I second Gamerankings.com. It's easy to navigate and offers links to the individual reviews. Like Sack said, it's an aggregator, sort of like a Rottentomatoes.com for video games. It's served me well in the past. . .
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

Normally when I use that word with Wade he says, "Aggregator?"

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

There's an aggregator in the toilet?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Ok, so, over the years I used to always use IGN for my game reviews/previews. As I've gotten out of gaming a bit, I tend to only go there to look for specific games.

However, since I've started to gear up playing BF2/BF2142 and using my PS2 a bit more, I'm a bit more interested in the newer games out - particularly for the PC.

My problem is that I've never been all that happy with the coverage that IGN does for PC games. Especially with really having much in the way of items outside of the VERY mainstream games. I'm looking for sports and non-sports games, so the whole spectrum.

What do you guys recommend? I know that Gamespot is popular, but I've never been a huge fan of theirs. Any recommendations?

Do a Search next time.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ht=review+site
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm going to go hang my head in shame now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
JPhillips
General Manager

jbmagic has really become the Commissioner Gordon of the thread police.

Well done and thanks for keeping these threads safe for our children.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, no shit.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

PC Gamer used to be my source - not sure if they are up to date online as far as games coming out anymore.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 AM   #11
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I either check here or Octopus Overlords as I tend to have similar taste in gaming to many here [duh, right?] and, after a time, I can pick out who has similar taste to me and lean toward their impressions more.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #12
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post

Please do search next time.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...97&postcount=4
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 AM   #13
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
jbmagic has really become the Commissioner Gordon of the thread police.

Well done and thanks for keeping these threads safe for our children.

That really insults Commisioner Gordon.

1. He wasn't a self absorbed ne'er do well who vindictively ratted out productive citizens to try and divert attention to his own failings. He was hired to and routinely solved problems.

2. He actually realized his own inability to deal with extraordinary circumstances and called in someone who could, thus solving the crisis. He didn't just piss in the wind over jaywalking. He was better than that.

3. He had friends and was respected.

4. He had a bat signal and an edit button and was never really in danger of losing either one.

Nope, I just don't see the comparison at all.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
4. He had a bat signal and an edit button and was never really in danger of losing either one.

Ok, that made me laugh

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
JPhillips
General Manager

Axxon: Point taken. I have to admit I've always had it out for Gordon since he tried to slide his hand up my wife's skirt at the Wayne Foundation Histoplasmosis Charity Auction and Ball. When I confronted him about it he laughed and siad, "I'm just looking for a place to stash my night stick."

Its hard for me to look objectively at a man that was as rude and vulgar as Gordon was that night.