lolzcat

funny like a clown, yes that one
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #602
cuervo72
Head Coach

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57336282

Quote:
The NFL has said it will stop settling concussion lawsuits using a race-based formula that assumes black players have a lower level of cognitive function.

I mean, good, but, yeah. Who's idea was THAT, originally?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #603
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I believe the concept comes out of a study linking health with socio-economic status that's several decades old.

It's somewhat similar to what the insurance industry uses to determine insurability/cost based on credit score because statistics show a link between credit score, accidents and how often people file claims.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #604
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

USFL set to return in spring 2022 after being shut down in mid-1980s, original team names will remain - CBSSports.com
Old 06-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #605
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Do they have to give the $3 back?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #606
QuikSand
lolzcat

Herschel Walker gonna ball out
Old 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #607
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #608
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So what, the Lions are funny? But, they’re funny how? Funny like a clown? They’ll amuse you? They’ll make you laugh? They’ll be here to fuckin' amuse you?

Funny like Gilligan's Island.

Your heart keeps on hoping they'll win a playoff game but you know they'll fail to do so. Usually due to some fantastic incompetence.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-05-2021 at 09:57 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #609
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm almost ready to give Campbell some mad-genius points for just how low he's managed to set the bar. I keep seeing the Lions rated at or near the absolute bottom in any kind of early power rankings and 6 wins would be considered some kind of miracle.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #610
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

6 wins is a pretty high bar for the franchise.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:39 PM   #611
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sad but true.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #612
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Funny like Gilligan's Island.

Your heart keeps on hoping they'll win a playoff game but you know they'll fail to do so. Usually due to some fantastic incompetence.

Analogy of the year.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #613
miami_fan
Coordinator

Atlanta Falcons expected to trade Julio Jones to Tennessee Titans in next 24-48 hours, sources say

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons are expected to trade Julio Jones to the Tennessee Titans, barring any setbacks, in the next 24 to 48 hours, according to sources.

The two sides still are finalizing compensation but, as one source said, "I feel very good about this."

Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Falcons and Titans discussing whether the package for Julio Jones will be a second- and a fifth-round pick, or a second-round pick with a swap of other picks.

If there are no snags, the trade would be processed as early as Monday.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #614
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm not sure how to feel about that - a mid-late 2nd and 5th for a guy who was absolutely elite top 3 at his position 2 years ago, and even though injured last year had some of his better underlying catch/yards per target numbers, but it does definitely feel like he's due to drop off a cliff.

One thing is for sure, they didn't have any first round offers and that was a poor bluff to try and get some. Feels like this whole situation could have been avoided from the Falcons side.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #615
JPhillips
General Manager

Not sure they would have traded in the conference, but the Packers should have been all over that deal.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #616
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Ian Rapoport reporting the deal is done and that it's a 2022 2nd rounder and a 2023 4th rounder in exchange for Jones and a 2023 6th rounder.

I'm not sure any team actually needed Jones more than the Titans did. You can't go into the season with Josh Reynolds as your second WR.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #617
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Love this for the Titans. Considering the historical career arc of big backs, this might be Derrick Henry’s last great year.

And that division is ripe for the taking. If Carson Wentz is truly done (not a bad bet to make), then it really is Tennessee’s division to lose.

So you make a run for it this year. You are not going to be favored in the playoffs over the Buffalos and Kansas Citys of the world. But the great thing about one and done playoffs is that all you need is a few lucky bounces at the end of the year.

If Tennessee is going to win a Super Bowl, this seems like the year to do it. So grab Julio Jones for a second round pick and don’t think twice about it.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-06-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #618
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Love this for the Titans. Considering the historical career arc of big backs, this might be Derrick Henry’s last great year.

And that division is ripe for the taking. If Carson Wentz is truly done (not a bad bet to make), then it really is Tennessee’s division to lose.

So you make a run for it this year. You are not going to be favored in the playoffs over the Buffalos and Kansas Citys of the world. But the great thing about one and done playoffs is that all you need is a few lucky bounces at the end of the year.

If Tennessee is going to win a Super Bowl, this seems like the year to do it. So grab Julio Jones for a second round pick and don’t think twice about it.

Woohoo yes I also love this for my Titans (Oilers). It is crazy they still have not won a NFL championship as competitive they have been over the last 60 yeoars except for the old AFL championships in 61-62.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #619
Edward64
Head Coach

Sad to see Jones go. No doubt he can still play but it came down to cost vs perceived benefit.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #620
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The Titans certainly seem setup for success.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #621
MIJB#19
Coordinator

A benevolent commissioner would never allow such a trade.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #622
molson
General Manager

The Patriots traded a second for Mohammed Sanu, but apparently a second and a forth were too much for Jones.

Though, I'm not sure Cam Newton can reach him with his throws, so that's a thing too.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #623
bhlloy
Coordinator

The more I look at it the more it seems the Falcons made a mess of this backing themselves into a corner where they had to trade him post June 1st because otherwise there was no way to get compliant and everyone knew he wanted out.

Firstly you don't take Fields (or another QB) because you are betting on Ryan, then you trade his best weapon for future picks and don't even get something that is likely to turn into anything. Not a great look. At the draft if you can get a 2021 first rounder to go with Pitts I think you can justify it, but now you are either bad and probably not getting as good a QB next year as you could have this year or you aren't bad and Ryan isn't getting the talent around him anyway as he ages.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #624
QuikSand
lolzcat

We love our star players, but late-career star players whose after-trade contract costs are right around "market price" are simply NOT what you generally spend premium draft picks to get. And given than Atlanta (as noted above) HAD to deal him and everyone basically knew that, how could they insist they'd "walk away" without getting a 1st?

This deal feels about right to me. I'm a fan of Julio, I think there's a decent chance that the Titans get a lot out of him over two years (or more), but that's not a sure thing (injuries, especially, with him) and it's not at all a sure thing that the eventual return of productivity, coupled with the loss of cap space and draft capital, will net out to a huge win.

Last edited by QuikSand : 06-06-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #625
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I think my issue is less with what they got and more with when what they got will contribute given the window they backed themselves into and without choosing to hit on one of the high qb’s in this years draft. It just smacks of poor planning to me. If you hang onto Ryan and use that pick on a weapon for him, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to then give his best weapon away.

Of course if he falls off the cliff or spends more time injured you are glad he’s off the cap, but can’t help thinking it’s not the optimal outcome.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #626
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I don't see how picking a qb that will sit on the bench for two years was a better way of spending a top tier draft pick, than picking a high ceiling tight end that will help the team now and in the future. Picking a qb would have been a white flag on the season. Picking a weapon to help some with the loss of a weapon you know is coming makes infinitely more sense.
Julio was leaving regardless. The choice was to either purposely tank this season, or try to give a new coach a chance to turn things around. They chose the later.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #627
miked
College Starter

Julio was the 3rd best option on the offense this year most likely. Anyone would have been crazy to give a first. I'm surprised the Patriots did not jump in with a 2nd and 4th to give Mac Jones a comfort outlet. The Pats WR crew seems to suck balls.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #628
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm surprised the Patriots did not jump in with a 2nd and 4th to give Mac Jones a comfort outlet. The Pats WR crew seems to suck balls.

Had they had the foresight to see JJ being available, I reckon they would have gladly deferred on a fat contract for Nelson Agholor and used that cap space to take on Julio's contract. Alas, the June action by ATL really messed things up... I presume they felt they could just magic wand their way out of their cap problems until it was too late.

Last edited by QuikSand : 06-07-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #629
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old 06-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #630
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Edit: Ugh, I am terrible at embedding tweets here for some reason. Go right to 2nd video lol

Jay-Z, Meek Mill, and Michael Rubin Make a Grandfather’s Dream Come True

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-08-2021 at 12:16 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #631
molson
General Manager

Kraft does look great for 80.

I'm sure it's not JUST the strip mall handjobs, but, they can't hurt.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #632
Kodos
Resident Alien

Whatever puts a little extra spring in your step!
Old 06-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #633
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Kraft does look great for 80.

I'm sure it's not JUST the strip mall handjobs, but, they can't hurt.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:50 PM   #634
Ksyrup

I'll admit, I chuckled.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #635
Ksyrup

More summer fun.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #636
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In general, I think that, relative to other sports, NFL players have too little power and the owners too much.

But sometimes, that works just fine.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-16-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #637
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Will Tom Brady get vaxxed? And if he does not, and insists on being treated like he is vaxxed, will the team/league actually stand up to him?

My guess is no. But we'll see.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-16-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #638
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hope its the first of many:

Raiders lineman Carl Nassib comes out as gay - Outsports
Old 06-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #639
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Wasn't Michael Sam the first?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #640
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Wasn't Michael Sam the first?

I don't think Sam made the roster. Semantics about first active roster player for sure.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #641
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sam also came out prior
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #642
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Same. Big time Carl Nassib fan now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #643
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I don't think Sam made the roster. Semantics about first active roster player for sure.

Correct
Old 07-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #644
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

News dump during the dead time of year regarding WFT sexual harassment:

Short of it: Everyone who did everything bad has been fired. The team is being fined what amounts to a rounding error for an NFL team. And now let no one speak of this again.

Not unexpected in any way.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-03-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #645
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Dan Snyder states that as long as he and his wife own the Washington Football Team the atmosphere of abuse from when Dan Snyder previously owned the team will never return.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #646
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Not a good night for Richard Sherman

Richard Sherman's wife's disturbing 911 phone call: 'He's threatening to kill himself' | Fox News
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #647
miami_fan
Coordinator

New York Jets assistant coach Greg Knapp battling life-threatening injuries from bicycle accident
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:15 AM   #648
Ksyrup

Cam Akers done with an achilles tear.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #649
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Cam Akers done with an achilles tear.

Well shit

The best takeaway, as a Rams fan, is the league has learned over the last 10 or so seasons that RB is the position that is "easiest" to find a replacement. The Rams may not find a guy that can do all Cam can but they should be able to find situational backs that will get the job done.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #650
bronconick
College Starter

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...56770305335299

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The NFL just informed clubs that if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week season in 2021 due to a COVID outbreak among unvaccinated players, the team with the outbreak will FORFEIT and be credited with a loss for playoff seeding, per sources.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote