Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #2651
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
So, for those keeping score at home, conservatives are now advocating for bigger deficits and defunding law enforcement.

I find it interesting that this is the take, and not also 'so now liberals are for boosting the budget of law enforcement instead of defunding them'.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-08-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #2652
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Blame the victim right?

They aren't really a victim. They made a business decision.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #2653
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They aren't really a victim. They made a business decision.

I guess they dressed too provoctively right?
Old 07-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #2654
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I guess they dressed too provoctively right?

What does a business decision have to do with a violent crime?

They determined the risk of a breach was not worth the added cost of security. Since companies face no consequences for this and get bailed out by the government, that business decision is usually correct.

The only victims here are taxpayers.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #2655
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So in your world if the someone gets robbed it's the robbed fault, got it.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:41 PM   #2656
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I guess my take would be yes and no. First off nobody deserves to be extorted or robbed, but like the homeowner that goes on a trip and leaves their door unlocked, they could have taken more precautions and they need to look in the mirror for that.

But nobody deserves this and it baffles me that some responses are so flippant because it is big business. Blame for crime lies solely on the criminal, despite what precautions could have been taken to lessen the chances of being a victim, they are still victims and they learned a hard lesson for not taking security more seriously.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #2657
Atocep
Coordinator

The government should put pressure on Russia to protect these businesses.

Businesses need to invest more into network security.

Businesses that ignore network security and put their customers or critical infrastructure at risk repeatedly or to the point that it requires federal aid/intervention should be fined.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #2658
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The government should put pressure on Russia to protect these businesses.

Businesses need to invest more into network security.

Businesses that ignore network security and put their customers or critical infrastructure at risk repeatedly or to the point that it requires federal aid/intervention should be fined.

This is the best incentive
Old 07-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #2659
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I’m so lost as to where we are on the political spectrum these days. I still expect conservatives to bitch about the moral hazard of the federal government to stepping in to right every wrong, to preach rugged individualism and if you don’t protect yourself then tough shit.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #2660
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I’m so lost as to where we are on the political spectrum these days. I still expect conservatives to bitch about the moral hazard of the federal government to stepping in to right every wrong, to preach rugged individualism and if you don’t protect yourself then tough shit.

This is interesting to me and what I feel like is the problem. We are all over the spectrum. A country this large and diverse makes for a stagnant political system. What does a dude living in the mountains of Colorado have in common with a women living in NYC? Not much. And I imagine their opinions differ vastly. And therein lies where we are right now. Shoot, look at this board and how we are are all over the spectrum.
IMO, we are all over the spectrum and will be until something radical happens.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #2661
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This is interesting to me and what I feel like is the problem. We are all over the spectrum. A country this large and diverse makes for a stagnant political system. What does a dude living in the mountains of Colorado have in common with a women living in NYC? Not much. And I imagine their opinions differ vastly. And therein lies where we are right now. Shoot, look at this board and how we are are all over the spectrum.
IMO, we are all over the spectrum and will be until something radical happens.

That is not really a problem to me as it has always been the case, we are just more openly contentious then I can ever remember in my lifetime. Respect for one another and the ability to listen, which leads to a broader perspective have just evaporated over the last decade.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #2662
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The political system only appears stagnant because of the various ways in which minority rule has been exploited. We wouldn't appear to be so gridlocked if the majority were able and willing to enact an agenda.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #2663
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That is not really a problem to me as it has always been the case, we are just more openly contentious then I can ever remember in my lifetime. Respect for one another and the ability to listen, which leads to a broader perspective have just evaporated over the last decade.

I blame Fox News.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #2664
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They didn't get robbed.

And yeah, if I leave my TV at the end of the driveway tonight, it's probably my fault it got stolen. Sure the person who stole it is in the wrong, but there needs to be a little personal responsibility too.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #2665
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
But nobody deserves this and it baffles me that some responses are so flippant because it is big business. Blame for crime lies solely on the criminal, despite what precautions could have been taken to lessen the chances of being a victim, they are still victims and they learned a hard lesson for not taking security more seriously.

There is no lesson learned here though. The US government poured millions into helping them recover their money, compensated those hurt by it, and then let it be. Colonial will continue to make hundreds of millions in profits and pay next to no taxes.

To simplify this into a simple thief and victim is ridiculous. These criminals are in foreign countries of which we have no jurisdiction. Heck, it might be completely legal for them to do what they do in their country. So in the end, it's taxpayers who now have to foot the bill for increased defense spending and whatever financial ramifications sanctions bring because a billion dollar company chose not to take cybersecurity serious.

And yes, them being a big business makes it different. They received a disproportionate amount of law enforcement resources to fix this. If my business gets hacked and I am put in a dire position, the FBI won't even take my call, let alone send out an army of agents to fix and recover my money.

It's about a bullshit system where billion-dollar companies fight to not be regulated, then get the full backing of the US government when they need it. Biden and other leaders can talk a big game, sanction countries, but nothing changes as long as there are no consequences involved for those who make poor business decisions.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #2666
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Shit, they found us out

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 07-09-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #2667
Atocep
Coordinator

Jokes on them, I don't have any of either. Fuck you commie bastards!
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #2668
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post

Conservatives don't believe in any of that stuff anymore.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #2669
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Shit, they found us out

What a fucking idiot, but not at the level of people that actually believe his tripe.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #2670
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Conservatives don't believe in any of that stuff anymore.
Most conservative politicians that claimed they did never really did. Time and time again they proved that they want a federal government that protected the wealthy class, but expected "rugged individualism" for the poor. It was and always has been a con.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:44 PM   #2671
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There is no lesson learned here though. The US government poured millions into helping them recover their money, compensated those hurt by it, and then let it be. Colonial will continue to make hundreds of millions in profits and pay next to no taxes.

To simplify this into a simple thief and victim is ridiculous. These criminals are in foreign countries of which we have no jurisdiction. Heck, it might be completely legal for them to do what they do in their country. So in the end, it's taxpayers who now have to foot the bill for increased defense spending and whatever financial ramifications sanctions bring because a billion dollar company chose not to take cybersecurity serious.

And yes, them being a big business makes it different. They received a disproportionate amount of law enforcement resources to fix this. If my business gets hacked and I am put in a dire position, the FBI won't even take my call, let alone send out an army of agents to fix and recover my money.

It's about a bullshit system where billion-dollar companies fight to not be regulated, then get the full backing of the US government when they need it. Biden and other leaders can talk a big game, sanction countries, but nothing changes as long as there are no consequences involved for those who make poor business decisions.

You act like that only billion dollar companies with no cyber security are getting hit from ransomware.

Over thousand entities in the US have been hit from the city of Baltimore to one of the main suppliers to the company I work for. I know my supplier had all the cyber security one could expect from a company that size. This isn't simply a game that can be won by playing defense all the time. Unless you go after the bad actors then you're just giving them all the time in the world to crack your defenses.

Also you state that this just affects taxpayers. Tell that to my company's supplier. Tell that to the workers my company had to cut hours for. Tell that to the contractors my companies supply. Tell that to those contractor's customers. Tell that to companies that are now spending more money to beef up their cyber security instead of putting that money into their products or their employees.

Biden supposedly got an agreement from Putin to crack down on these crooks. Let's hop Putin cracks down as hard on these guys as he does his political opponents.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #2672
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
This isn't simply a game that can be won by playing defense all the time. Unless you go after the bad actors then you're just giving them all the time in the world to crack your defenses.

I agree. There is no doubt US companies can do better but these are attacks and will only get worse without a strategic, coordinated response. The real question does the US have a "plan"?

I hope so but don't think so. But it's a start.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #2673
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to read this. I think a nice, temporary bump as we emerge from the depths of Covid but not going to complain.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/11/polit...sis/index.html
Quote:
A new Gallup poll finds that 59.2% of Americans say they're thriving. Additionally, 73% of Americans said they experienced enjoyment for a lot of the previous day.

The former is the highest rating Gallup has ever recorded on the measure dating back to when it was first taken more than 13 years ago. The latter is the highest since the coronavirus pandemic began early last year.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #2674
Edward64
Head Coach

Interim PM vs designated PM. Head of Supreme Court dead of Covid. Assassins caught but not the mastermind.

Read that Haiti asked for US troops to help guard some areas and we said no. Probably the right call, the UN is who should step in. She is in our sphere of influence and, if we choose to, probably can help significantly with long-term military presence ... but one of those cases of not much to gain, better to give money (and/or contribute some troops) to UN to do it.

Now if Haiti had significant oil or precious metals, different story.

Re: Puerto Rico. They voted for statehood 52-47 and about 55% voted late last year. The nos. don't seem to show an overwhelming PR support for it. Couple bills but from what I've read, Biden isn't a supporter (not sure why).
Old 07-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #2675
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
…but from what I've read, Biden isn't a supporter (not sure why).

Because Democrats suck at politics. Even more so when they are in the majority. If the shoe was on the other foot and PR was a blood red state opportunity, McConnell would get it done.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #2676
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Because Democrats suck at politics. Even more so when they are in the majority.

I don't know if you have a short memory, but that was certainly not the case with the last Democrat administration. With control of the White House, Senate and House of Representatives from 2009 to 2011, they passed every important piece of legislation that was important to them, including universal healthcare, regulatory reform, trillion dollar stimulus plan, bailout of two auto makers, just to name a few.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #2677
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You act like that only billion dollar companies with no cyber security are getting hit from ransomware.

Over thousand entities in the US have been hit from the city of Baltimore to one of the main suppliers to the company I work for. I know my supplier had all the cyber security one could expect from a company that size. This isn't simply a game that can be won by playing defense all the time. Unless you go after the bad actors then you're just giving them all the time in the world to crack your defenses.

Also you state that this just affects taxpayers. Tell that to my company's supplier. Tell that to the workers my company had to cut hours for. Tell that to the contractors my companies supply. Tell that to those contractor's customers. Tell that to companies that are now spending more money to beef up their cyber security instead of putting that money into their products or their employees.

Biden supposedly got an agreement from Putin to crack down on these crooks. Let's hop Putin cracks down as hard on these guys as he does his political opponents.

The difference is the billion dollar company got the full force of the US government and your supplier was likely told "lol we don't have time for you". Your supplier and customers also didn't get a massive bailout for their issue.

It is unfortunate that the supplier made bad business decisions that cost people money and their jobs.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #2678
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I don't know if you have a short memory, but that was certainly not the case with the last Democrat administration. With control of the White House, Senate and House of Representatives from 2009 to 2011, they passed every important piece of legislation that was important to them, including universal healthcare, regulatory reform, trillion dollar stimulus plan, bailout of two auto makers, just to name a few.

Didn't try very hard at immigration reform back then which was a Obama platform. A little more time to play out, but looks to be the same with Biden & Kamala.

But yeah, I'm with you. The Dems get their wins also.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #2679
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Because Democrats suck at politics. Even more so when they are in the majority. If the shoe was on the other foot and PR was a blood red state opportunity, McConnell would get it done.

No idea of the real scale, degree of the Cuban protests. Probably much to do about nothing much.

But another opportunity for Biden to move the dial on FL shifting to a blue state. Unlike Haiti, Cuba does have world class cigars, boxers and baseball players!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #2680
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
But yeah, I'm with you. The Dems get their wins also.

I'm not so sure about that with this current administration.

Although I disagreed with much of President Obama’s policy positions, I admired his tenacity and enthusiasm. His Vice President was a pretty sharp guy (back then) who was able to navigate the tricky corridors of Washington politics admirably.

That’s a stark contrast to the current administration. As time passes, President Biden appears to have more difficulty responding to basic questions without blanking out in midsentence or referring to his note cards. As for Vice President Harris, there’s a reason she maxed out at 2% support in the Democratic primaries, eventually dropping out while in eighth place.

It’s not going to be served up on a silver platter in 2024 for them like it was in 2020. Instead of going up against some incoherent raging megalomaniac, they’re going to be up against an articulate, calculating even tempered opponent like Ron DeSantis. I’d say they’ve got their work cut out for them.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #2681
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The chief of vaccines for the TN Department of Health was fired and she claims it was because she was instructed to stop promoting all vaccines. The GOP is quickly becoming an anti-vax party.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #2682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that with this current administration.

Although I disagreed with much of President Obama’s policy positions, I admired his tenacity and enthusiasm. His Vice President was a pretty sharp guy (back then) who was able to navigate the tricky corridors of Washington politics admirably.

That’s a stark contrast to the current administration. As time passes, President Biden appears to have more difficulty responding to basic questions without blanking out in midsentence or referring to his note cards. As for Vice President Harris, there’s a reason she maxed out at 2% support in the Democratic primaries, eventually dropping out while in eighth place.

It’s not going to be served up on a silver platter in 2024 for them like it was in 2020. Instead of going up against some incoherent raging megalomaniac, they’re going to be up against an articulate, calculating even tempered opponent like Ron DeSantis. I’d say they’ve got their work cut out for them.

It really will be fascinating. Biden was always going to be a one term president. The Dems problem is they really don't have anyone to rally the base like an Obama. Right now who would their candidate be? Warren? Mayor Pete? Booker? Stacy Abrams?

On the flip side, if Trump does win the nomination does that motivate people to vote for whomever the Dems roll out there? If Trump doesn't win the nomination does the right lose a ton of voters beholden to the Trump cult?
Old 07-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #2683
BYU 14
Coordinator

It really brings up a good point, who is the best Dem candidate for 2024? I have always liked Andrew Yang, but he got smashed running for NYC mayor.

Is there anyone under the radar now that can rise up and wow voters?
Old 07-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #2684
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If Trump doesn't win the nomination does the right lose a ton of voters beholden to the Trump cult?

It will probably never come to fruition, but my hope is that the MAGA cultists, Tea Partiers, theocrats and other right wing extremists will break off and form their own party.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #2685
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The GOP is quickly becoming an anti-vax party.

I wonder if Pfizer or somebody could come up with a vaccine nullification shot for Republicans like Trump who got vaccinated. So they can be born again.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #2686
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It just blows my mind, maybe someone said it earlier, but they want to make sure trump gets all the credit for a vaccine they won't take for a virus they claim doesn't exist.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #2687
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm just happy to learn we've got universal healthcare.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #2688
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
It will probably never come to fruition, but my hope is that the MAGA cultists, Tea Partiers, theocrats and other right wing extremists will break off and form their own party.

Why would they want or need to? The secret sauce here is that they get the best of both worlds - they get to control the messaging/agenda AND they get more votes than they otherwise would without the GOP affiliation. People like my brother who are not racists, don't believe the conspiracies, but are politically motivated to vote by a purely financial agenda, or maybe it's guns, or abortion, etc.

This country largely views politics as a binary choice, and increasingly believes that the other side is hell-bent on destroying the country. So party affiliation is all that matters, even to the point where you are willing to accept shit like insurrections, lying, etc., because the worst thing that could happen is the other side wins.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-13-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #2689
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm just happy to learn we've got universal healthcare.

LOL
Old 07-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #2690
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
…because the worst thing that could happen is the other side wins.
Boiled down to its essence, this is what’s wrong with this country, and why politics/politicians will never fix it.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #2691
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Boiled down to its essence, this is what’s wrong with this country, and why politics/politicians will never fix it.
Yup. I just don't see a fix coming around the corner either. One side is full radicalized, and the other eventually will be.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #2692
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The chief of vaccines for the TN Department of Health was fired and she claims it was because she was instructed to stop promoting all vaccines. The GOP is quickly becoming an anti-vax party.
Yup. Full anti-vacc. Not just Covid-19.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #2693
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My brother in Ohio was telling me that the GOP was trying to pass a law making it illegal for public or private groups to require any vaccinations. Among other things, it would prohibit schools from requiring any vaccinations.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #2694
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Make Polio Great Again seems like an odd campaign slogan.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #2695
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Diseases are part of God's plan. Who are we to go against God's will?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #2696
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It just blows my mind, maybe someone said it earlier, but they want to make sure trump gets all the credit for a vaccine they won't take for a virus they claim doesn't exist.

Trumps gets credit for creating a vaccine that the liberals are taking that gave us our freedom back.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #2697
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Diseases are part of God's plan. Who are we to go against God's will?

Did you see the guy on OAN or Newsmax that was making the argument that vaccines mess with nature and some people should die from viruses?
Old 07-14-2021, 06:27 AM   #2698
Edward64
Head Coach

Senate Dems agree on $3.5T "human infrastructure & medicare". Not a lot of details right now. Bernie is onboard but Manchin wants to know how this will be paid for. If Dems align, then push it through reconciliation.

It's a given that if Biden wants bipartisanship, the $3.5T will be reduced to a more palatable $. So another major challenge for him coming up but do hope we get bipartisanship here.

Senate Democrats reach $3.5 trillion deal on reconciliation package

Hope the medicare part includes lowering the age of eligibility to 60 (or lower!).
Old 07-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #2699
miked
College Starter

What bipartisanship? McConnell already said he would not consider a supreme court nominee in the final year again. They say they want bipartisanship but refuse to compromise. He gets re-elected by not compromising.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #2700
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He gets re-elected by being a white male republican in Kentucky who holds a far greater position of prominence nationally than anyone in Kentucky could otherwise hope for.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-14-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote