Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

It's a shame the gator ended up dead.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #52
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Another fireworks fatality, this time for trying to shoot one off his chest when it exploded. A quote from the article: "He was the light of many people's lives"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2285091
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #53
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Another fireworks fatality, this time for trying to shoot one off his chest when it exploded. A quote from the article: "He was the light of many people's lives"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2285091
Another interesting quote from this article:

"On Saturday, 22-year-old Devon Staples died after waving a lit firework, which he thought was a dud, near his head at a backyard party in Maine, his family told the Daily News."

The story continues to be rewritten (and who am I to know the truth). First report he stuck it on his head and his friends tried to talk him out of it. Next it came out that he thought it was a dud and accidentally lit it. Then I saw yesterday that the father said he didn't accidentally light it. There was some mysterious spark. Now he was just waving it around his head and while waving it the mysterious spark managed to find the fuse.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #54
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
This is probably a case of one side of people coming out on the internet. I actually had a conversation today where I said basically the same thing. All loss of life, especially at young ages, is ultimately a tragedy.

The way he died though....
I don't think this is an Internet thing, just a de-personalization thing. "Devon Staples" sounds like a decent enough dude and it's tragic he lost his life. "Man who dies after lighting firework near his head" is a complete idiot, and I feel no problem laughing at it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #55
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Another interesting quote from this article:

"On Saturday, 22-year-old Devon Staples died after waving a lit firework, which he thought was a dud, near his head at a backyard party in Maine, his family told the Daily News."

The story continues to be rewritten (and who am I to know the truth). First report he stuck it on his head and his friends tried to talk him out of it. Next it came out that he thought it was a dud and accidentally lit it. Then I saw yesterday that the father said he didn't accidentally light it. There was some mysterious spark. Now he was just waving it around his head and while waving it the mysterious spark managed to find the fuse.

I guess there is a tendency to want to de-stupidize the death and make it sound more sympathetic.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #56
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I guess there is a tendency to want to de-stupidize the death and make it sound more sympathetic.
I don't disagree with that but it will also be used to help ban fireworks completely as they continue to shift the story to the idea that this death had nothing to do with user error.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:00 AM   #57
Edward64
Head Coach

I can't imagine drinking so much. Another article said "at least 7 bottles".

Influencer dies after live-streaming himself drinking bottles of Chinese spirit Baijiu | CNN
Quote:
A social media influencer died soon after live-streaming himself drinking several bottles of strong alcohol on China’s version of TikTok, state-run media in the country are reporting, in a development likely to renew debate about how to regulate the industry.

The influencer “Sanqiange” (or “Brother Three Thousand”) was found dead just hours after broadcasting himself taking part in a competition with a fellow influencer which involved drinking Baijiu, a Chinese spirit with a typical alcohol content of between 30% to 60%, Shangyou News reported.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #58
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That's awful.......I wonder what Baijiu takes like?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That's awful.......I wonder what Baijiu takes like?

Like Death warmed over I guess (sorry couldnt resist)