Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #651
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Other than jealousy, if yours is starting on it?

Haven't started yet. We'll probably pick this or next weekend to do this.

So is the idea to go cold turkey on the diapers during the day and have her run around bare-assed?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #652
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I have no idea.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #653
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Potty training is more parent training than child training. Also, each child is different.

With us, our first was almost potty trained at a year, but then we all got the flu and it all went out the window. When he was two, we took a weekend and let him run without a diaper, and when he needed to go, we sat him on the potty. He had a good idea of what it felt like when he needed to go, and without the comfort of the diaper, he was worried about going on the floor. He was also aware of what he was doing when he went. We had 2 maybe 3 messes to clean up and we were good to go.

Our second was more difficult. He was more than happy to fill a diaper. We tried pull ups and training underwear, but he had no problem being wet. It took about 2 weeks to finally get him fully trained. We had to put him on the can every hour for him to go. Finally, he figured out that if he went in the toilet, he didn't have to go sit every hour. We also made him "clean up" a couple of spots as well. With him, we realized that we had to be a bigger pain in his ass, than him taking the time to go to the bathroom. To this day (he' 8), we still have problems with him flushing the toilet and washing his hands.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #654
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mine will be 3 in 2 weeks and has a very passing interest. We give him a sticker if he goes, and he is starting to go at daycare, but still no breakthrough. I am worried with a new one coming in less than a month that he will revert back anyway.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #655
JeeberD
General Manager

If your kid like stickers, a "Potty Chart" where he gets stickers to put on it every time he uses the potty worked wonders for us. We're not 100% there yet, but we're damn close...we still get wet pull-ups overnight and the occasional accident during the day. Hopefully he doesn't regress with his new sister in the house...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #656
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tonight is a happier & more relaxed atmosphere after my kid's tennis match than we've experience before.

After an 0-3 career start, the monkey is off his back after a solid 8-5 win in JV doubles action this afternoon. What you probably need to know before I say anything else is that he started playing less than 5 months ago. His initial goal was to simply minimize the suckage enough not to get cut. With that mission accomplished (narrowly I suspect), the losing was getting in his head at least a little bit I think.

So .... it was awfully nice for him to get not only a nice backhand passing shot down the line to wrap up their 7th win, but then to get the winner on match point with basically the same shot.

Yeah, proud daddy. Even more relieved really, that was a weight I didn't want him carrying around for 10-11 months since today was probably their final official match of the season.

Whew.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #657
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, as a follow-up ... I'm even happier Monday night happened for my kid, otherwise tonight's 0-8 loss would probably have been quite demoralizing. Completely overmatched against a powerful sophomore from a Class 5A powerhouse (who looked like a probably #2 or #3 varsity singles player for 90% of the teams in our classification).

On the bright side, no notable injuries suffered during his match, so that's something at least.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #658
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Davin's trying to figure out the whole walking thing. Loving every minute of it!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #659
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Davin's trying to figure out the whole walking thing. Loving every minute of it!

I remember when Ashley finally figured it out. As she was walking from point A to point B, she tripped over a toy. But instead of falling over, she actually took a hop-step to regain balance! Was one of my proudest moments, right there.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-15-2013 at 10:34 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #660
finketr
College Prospect

Matthew's first sustained steps:

finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #661
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wife & child are now back from the DMV ... despite the fact that he drove home.

God help us all, he's officially 15.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #662
Poli
FOFC Survivor

What is the deal with middle school kids attending a middle school 'prom'? When did this stuff start happening? I've got former youth football players posting all of these prom pictures, and it just has me thinking, "kid, you can't even drive yet."
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #663
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is the deal with middle school kids attending a middle school 'prom'? When did this stuff start happening? I've got former youth football players posting all of these prom pictures, and it just has me thinking, "kid, you can't even drive yet."

Started a few years ago, sometime after full cap-and-gown kindergarten graduations.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #664
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It has been great having family from New Jersey around to help with the new addition, but it is time for them to go. Thankfully my parents leave today, the In Laws will be here until Sunday. Not that I don't love them, but I am ready to move on and get into a routine.

My in laws arrived 3 and a half weeks ago, my parents 2 and a half. Babay was born last Monday. They are all staying with us. House is big enough, everyone has their own room and bathroom, but it is impossible to get a routine down that works with all these people there.

Still, my Son is going to be crushed when they leave, he has really enjoyed having them around. My SIL and BIL arrive from London Saturday and stay until Thursday the 23rd. Will be fun to see them, but I will be glad that Memorial Day weekend will be just us.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #665
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I remember we had an 8th grade graduation dance. But it wasn't prom... not even close to it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #666
finketr
College Prospect

If you take your not-yet-potty trained toddler, and want to take them swimming.. Do you just use the water pants or put a diaper under them?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #667
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Swim diaper and lining. I take my son all the time.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #668
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Yep. Swim diaper.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #669
finketr
College Prospect

Yep.. worked great.. looks just like the lining of a regular diaper. He was very apprehensive and unhappy about the cool water, but after he was in, he's very happy and splashing around.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #670
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My son has now realized the new baby isn't going anywhere and he has entered full blown " I want Mommy to do everything for me all the time" phase. Luckily he still goes to daycare, but it is maddening at night, especially if the baby needs to be fed during bedtime.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know which is more amazing to me at the moment:
that kids ever survive HS today, or that parents ever survive HS today.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #672
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wife & child are now back from the DMV ... despite the fact that he drove home.

God help us all, he's officially 15.

congrats! remind me to stay off the roads!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #673
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
congrats! remind me to stay off the roads!

Remind to stay off the sidewalks!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #674
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Remind to stay off the sidewalks!

This might not be a bad idea. So far my nerves have managed to ride with him twice. Both times I've desperately wanted a drink immediately afterwards.

Considering that I frequently scuffle with the whole "will to live" thing anyway, this should tell you something. Right now turns, and the concept of turning in general, seems to be his greatest challenge.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #675
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

did you slam on the invisible brakes? grab the top of the doorframe?

I am not looking forward to this in a few years.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #676
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
did you slam on the invisible brakes? grab the top of the doorframe? I am not looking forward to this in a few years.

I sit in the back, hold onto the oh shit bar & try not to throw up.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #677
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Why must my kid always scrape and bang his face, of all places?

Poor guy. Tripped on a step outside, has this hideous looking scrape on his temple. And then banged his head at the playground a day later, earning himself a nice bruise right on his forehead. Swear. Combine this with his perpetually bruised shins, I'm almost embarrased to take him anywhere - it looks like we abuse him.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-30-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #678
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I feel like I spend every waking moment yelling at my 3 year old son, the kid listens as good as a fire hydrant.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #679
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think my wife has lost the will to live ... she let him drive in the middle of downtown ATL today (down 75, thru the Grady Curve, out to I-20 and on to Conyers ... for those who know the area).
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #680
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Suicide by teen driver?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #681
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My boy has officially graduated to a big boy bed.

More accurately, a crib with 3 rails and a small fence in the front instead of 4 rails.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My 3 year old son just went potty, and as I am cleaning up the bathroom he runs away with no cloths on. No biggie. I then hear quite the commotion from my wife in the dining room. My son decided it would be funny to run to the table, pull a piece of shit from his ass, and put it on the table.

I'm sure we'll laugh about it someday.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #683
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My 3 year old son just went potty, and as I am cleaning up the bathroom he runs away with no cloths on. No biggie. I then hear quite the commotion from my wife in the dining room. My son decided it would be funny to run to the table, pull a piece of shit from his ass, and put it on the table.

I'm sure we'll laugh about it someday.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #684
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

It's funny, as much as I wanted a break from the kids, now that they're in California the house is quiet and I don't like it. I miss my daughter's sarcastic sense of humor, and my son's obsession with license plates.

3 1/2 more weeks til we go pick them up. *sigh*
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dropped ours off in Chattanooga, TN for a 5 day tennis camp. No biggie & probably not quite noteworthy enough for this thread perhaps, except for what his regular coach down here did.

Put in a call to the guy running the camp (who he played against when he was at Auburn & clinic guy was at UT), had to be at least a half hour or more conversation (based on all the stuff the camp guy knew). The interest level from the camp director was obvious when my kid arrived, was very tuned in about him, upbeat, personalized, etc. etc.

That call had to be one of the nicest things any non-related adult has ever done for my kid.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #686
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I feel like I spend every waking moment yelling at my 3 year old son, the kid listens as good as a fire hydrant.

I'm glad to hear it's not just Bren. We've been working on listening to Mommy and Daddy, but it ain't going so hot...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #687
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Age 15 = terrible twos X 7.5

I'm gonna need a bail bondsman if things don't improve soon.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #688
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Age 15 = terrible twos X 7.5

I'm gonna need a bail bondsman if things don't improve soon.

Eesh, I'm seriously dreading when the kids reach that age.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #689
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Eesh, I'm seriously dreading when the kids reach that age.

I wish I had better news to report but, at least in my case, I think this past year has felt more like 3-4 years. By the time he heads to college I figure I'll be at least 80 years old (mentally/emotionally).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-13-2013 at 07:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #690
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I wish I had better news to report but, at least in my case, I think this past year has felt more like 3-4 years. By the time he heads to college I figure I'll be at least 80 years old (mentally/emotionally).

You'll match your profile pic then.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #691
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

my wife goes back to work next week and I am taking a month off to stay home with our daughter. Lately she has been flat out refusing a bottle, to the point where I am getting worried
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #692
Autumn
Head Coach

That sounds frustrating, Lathum. I know some people have to go through a big ordeal of finding just the right bottle type or just the right way of introducing it. Good luck.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #693
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm glad to hear it's not just Bren. We've been working on listening to Mommy and Daddy, but it ain't going so hot...

So, two thoughts...

There is a book called "How to Talk So your Kids will Listen, and Listen so your Kids will Talk." Or something to that effect. Some of it is over the top and goody goody, but the general message, I think, is very good. We have pulled a few ideas from there which are very effective. Probably the most effective is to give choices when you want them to do something.

For example, we often have trouble getting my son out of the bath tub and getting on with his bedtime routine. We've essentially fixed the problem by offering him a choice of how he wants to get out of the tub. Instead of back and forth of time to get out, I want to stay in, blah blah, it is, OK, tonight do you want to hop out of the tub like a bullfrog or fly out like a seahawk. He almost always takes a second to think about it, makes a decision and acts on it.

Second thing is we have a short list of rules which he's memorized. Rule number one is listen to mommy and daddy. There are a couple of fun ones (take care of the Ipad and one he made up about sharing a certain toy). But if he's not doing something, instead of the back and forth, we'll just say something like, Hey, bud, are you following rule number one? He's remarkably honest about it and will usually try to do better.

Obviously, each kid is different, but those two little tricks have worked really well for us.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #694
digamma
Torchbearer

dola...

And a fun story. My three year old has some sort of bug bite under his eye. Looks like he's packing a raspberry under his eye. Kind of sad.

Last night I was asking him if he remembered getting bitten or stung by a bug.

He says, "No, I'm not sure it was a bug who bit me."

I say, "Really? What do you think it was?"

He says, "I think maybe it was a dinosaur."
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #695
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

haha

sounds like a big bug!

we also give our 3 year old choices and it works really well. We are about to start on chores and rules. We'll see how that works out.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #696
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
So, two thoughts...

There is a book called "How to Talk So your Kids will Listen, and Listen so your Kids will Talk." Or something to that effect. Some of it is over the top and goody goody, but the general message, I think, is very good. We have pulled a few ideas from there which are very effective. Probably the most effective is to give choices when you want them to do something.

This has worked very well for me with my three year old. For example, as part of the bedtime routine, I ask him would he rather go to the bathroom or brush his teeth first. He quickly makes his decision, does whichever task he picked first, and will then do the second.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #697
Autumn
Head Coach

Those techniques definitely help ... some. There's a bit of a honeymoon phase when they're younger where all these parenting techniques on behavior and eating, etc., work really well. Every time I talk to someone with only young kids they tell me how great their kids eat and behave because they do blah, blah and blah and I just smile and say, "Yep, I remember those days."

That said, even if it doesn't keep working really, it is the right technique to offer choices and open lines of communication. That's the parenting style which is shown to work best in the long run.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #698
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Anyone know how to get a 2yo to get back to sleeping by herself after having spent the last 3 weeks sleeping with mommy and daddy during the vacation?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #699
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Anyone know how to get a 2yo to get back to sleeping by herself after having spent the last 3 weeks sleeping with mommy and daddy during the vacation?

We had some similar issues with my son and tried a bunch of different things. Basically we just praised him a lot on the nights he stayed in his room, and eventually he stopped coming in. Nothing else worked. Once they are out of the crib there is little that can be done.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #700
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, I think it just takes patience. It may seem like it's going to take forever to get them readjusted, but soon you'll forget it even happened. I think most parenting challenges like this require continue pushing the issue the direction you want it, gently. If it doesn't work, wait a bit and try it again.