Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
Subby
lolzcat

Seltzer water is the absolute easiest way to kick soda now. They have done an incredible job with the natural flavoring, if you need that.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
britrock88
Pro Starter

Simple rule-of-thumb I use to limit my intake: never buy soda. Fast-food combos go out the window. If you're being harsh on yourself, so do some good cocktails. But it's a pretty effective limitation.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #53
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife likes seltzer, but I think it tastes like ass. For now, plain old water is working. I'm sure I'll grow restless though.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #54
Radii
Head Coach

Good luck Kodos!

I am up to 8 1/2 months without a soda. Its always been all or nothing for me, so even at this point I remain convinced that one sip would have me totally off the wagon and back to soda full time.

The things that helped me this time around compared to the 100 other times where I never made it past a month:

1. Always keep some other flavored drink around to help with light cravings. All I drink is water, but for me I always keep Orange Juice in the house. A pint will last me 4 weeks, and may even go bad on me, but if I feel anything close to the urge to have a soda, I go have a small cup of Orange Juice.

2. If the cravings get bad, give in to other shit you love but probably shouldn't indulge often. I'm trying to cut down on sugar overall, but for me soda is the #1 offender. Anything I have to do to stay off soda is worth it. I had a bad 4-5 day stretch back in October (after a full 3+ months off the stuff) where I was just dying for a Dr Pepper, repeatedly. I didn't know what to do, because I haven't been good at resisting this kind of thing in the past, I usually give in. My solution was to go have a giant fucking disgusting ice cream sundae every night. It wasn't healthy, and if I constantly had cravings this bad it would have just transferred me over to some new thing that is terrible for me to get hooked on, but in this one short term extreme instance, it got me through a period where I * desperately* wanted soda.

3. Sleep more/better. Exercise, even if its just a little. During other attempts to quit in my past I've given in to sodas when I'm short on sleep, I give in to the sugar rush/caffeine boost to get me through the work day because its what I've always done. Avoiding those days by making a good night's sleep my #1 priority has helped me limit the number of times I'm seriously tempted.

4. Keep them out of the house/out of sight. My sister drinks pepsi on occasion. My dad drank Pepsi with some frequency, and of course I wasn't about to suggest we deny him something he liked for me over the last year. But, I did ask that their sodas not be kept where I could see them, or might easily see them in the course of my day. I'd rather there not be any in the house, but out of sight works so far.

I don't really know if my first two tips are good ones for everyone. But this time around, this stuff has helped me a lot.

Last edited by Radii : 03-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #55
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've been substituting Kit Kats whenever I feel the urge. They've helped. A little caffeine, a little sugar. Thank you for the tips. My downfall has always been creating exceptions, and then nosediving from there. I think I'm an all or nothing type. So it has to be nothing.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #56
SackAttack
Head Coach

I quit drinking sodas in August of 2012, and with the exception of seeing the bottles of Cactus Cooler on the store shelves when I went to CA in January, I haven't been remotely tempted since.

Went to the store the other day and just wandered up and down the aisles with my cart. Hit the soda aisle and just...kept walking. It was like going down the diaper aisle. "Nope, nothing I need here."

Weirdest feeling ever.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Diet Dr. Pepperrrrrrrrrrr

NOM NOM NOM NOM
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #58
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Bump. I'm on day six without soda. So far, so good. I have had some weak moments, but have stuck with water. I'm noticing it does make me feel better. No heartburn.

I've tried a few times before and have always fallen back in by slowly allowing more and more exceptions until I'm drinking two twenty ounce bottles and a can each day.

Baby steps.

Day 43, and I'm tired. Sorely tempted to break my streak.

Must not break. I'm an all or nothing sort. If I break, I'll be back on the soda. Keeping the streak alive is the only thing that has saved me on some days when I was feeling weak. Going to see if Gatorade and a candy bar can be a substitute.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #59
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Don't do it!

If you are like me, having just one soda is enough to crave them over again. I start rationalizing why just one won't hurt me, then another and another.

I've not had a soda since the end of December (however many days that has been), after having reached a high of about 8-9 20oz bottles of soda a day at one point. It has been one of the most instrumental things that I have done to try to get back healthy again.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #60
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Don't do it!

If you are like me, having just one soda is enough to crave them over again. I start rationalizing why just one won't hurt me, then another and another.

I've not had a soda since the end of December (however many days that has been), after having reached a high of about 8-9 20oz bottles of soda a day at one point. It has been one of the most instrumental things that I have done to try to get back healthy again.

That's exactly my issue. If I have one, many more will follow.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #61
britrock88
Pro Starter

Skip the Gatorade, if you can. Not much better. Try getting some iced tea (unsweet) and sweetening it a bit yourself.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #62
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Must not break. I'm an all or nothing sort. If I break, I'll be back on the soda. Keeping the streak alive is the only thing that has saved me on some days when I was feeling weak. Going to see if Gatorade and a candy bar can be a substitute.

Just a thought, if you don't mind a 90 dollar investment soda stream might be worth a look. We use it for flavored water and they have a green tea mix now that you can carbonate. I have never been a big soda drinker, but love this and they have plenty of 0 calorie sugar free stuff you can get.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #63
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Skip the Gatorade, if you can. Not much better. Try getting some iced tea (unsweet) and sweetening it a bit yourself.

I know it's bad, but I don't have a Gatorade problem in general. It's just something that's not just water (a.ka., it has flavor). I don't like tea or coffee.

Basically just trying to substitute other crap for the soda that I really want.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-26-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #64
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Found this on the /r/C25K subreddit.

Water for people who don't like water

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-26-2013 at 11:22 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #65
General Mike
Pro Starter

I quit soda and coffee almost 2 weeks ago. I still have a hard time with sugary beverages, but I'm at least trying to drink things that have some nutritional value. Low fat chocolate milk and orange juice on the morning, and vitamin water at night. I've also cut out all the really bad fast food. Living off salads lately.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #66
molson
General Manager

There is a ton of zero calorie carbonated beverage options out there now. I had a soda urge yesterday and found some store-brand lemon-lime carbonated water and it totally satisfied my craving. I felt like I pulled one over on myself with trickery, it was pretty awesome. "Take that, stupid molson!".

Last edited by molson : 04-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #67
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Huh, just saw this thread but coincidentally enough I just dumped soda as well. I was on a 6-8 cans a day habit and quit cold turkey three weeks ago. I'm living off of Gatorade and water right now although I've had two unsweetened iced teas in restaurants but that's it.

I was surprised that I didn't get any of the headaches or withdrawal symptoms this time around so we'll see how long I last.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #68
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

As I tried to break the diet soda habit (90 days clean here) I used Crystal Light energy drop ins for the first couple weeks when I had a craving or got a headache. The drop ins have caffeine so it worked out for me.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #69
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm past 2 months without soda and have lost 25 pounds in the process. That might be more related to dropping all the other crap I was putting in my body.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #70
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I quit drinking pop in February (drank mainly Coke). Had some sprite while I was sick but that was it. I still need to cut my caffeine intake though. I drink a decent amount of Lipton Diet Green Tea now (regular has sugar). I'm guessing it's a fair amount better for you then pop but I still question how good it is for you.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #71
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Today is day 27 for me and I have lost 8.6 pounds in the process. Used to do at least 2 cokes a day, was really getting bad.

Next will be to cut down on the chocolate, have a little but I also do Kit Kat bites for a quick sugar rush or an occasional iced tea.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #72
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Kit Kat bites will be the rough habit to break at the moment. Those things are great when they have been sitting in the fridge for a while.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #73
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm closing in on 100 days without soda (June 22). It's definitely helped with my attempts at losing weight.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #74
Izulde
Head Coach

I haven't quit soda completely, but now I'm to the point where I average about 1-3 bottles/cans a week. Drinking water and organic fat-free milk in its place. Been that way for about 2-3 weeks now and have lost somewhere between 5-10 pounds without any other diet or exercise changes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #75
TroyF
Coordinator

Missed this thread the first time around. Tea, tea and more tea for me. Occasional water mixed in. Small glass of pomegran juice when I wake up. Rarely, I'll have a soda at dinner. Twice a month.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #76
Kodos
Resident Alien

Closing in on one year. April 15, baby!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Bump. I'm on day six without soda. So far, so good. I have had some weak moments, but have stuck with water. I'm noticing it does make me feel better. No heartburn.

I've tried a few times before and have always fallen back in by slowly allowing more and more exceptions until I'm drinking two twenty ounce bottles and a can each day.

Baby steps.

Huh. Looks like I've been using the wrong date. March 8th is my anniversary!

Last edited by Kodos : 02-18-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #78
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I haven't quit soda completely, but now I'm to the point where I average about 1-3 bottles/cans a week. Drinking water and organic fat-free milk in its place. Been that way for about 2-3 weeks now and have lost somewhere between 5-10 pounds without any other diet or exercise changes.

I've gone a solid month multiple times without losing weight.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #79
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Been thinking on this.
I drink a TON of soda. All diet...I have not had a regular soda in a decade probably..but still the I am starting to worry about the quantity of artificial crap Im putting in me (seriously Im closing in on lab rat status) Not really sure what the answer will be for me.

As weird as this sounds, I love bottled water but water from a glass makes me physically wretch. Dont know why, cant get past it. Have tried to force myself and spit water on the table more than once.

I also have nearly eliminated sugar from my diet completely...so milk, fruit juice, gatorade etc is out.

Ive switched to diet green teas and diet flavored water...but in the end I fell like Im just substituting eually as bad stuff as my crack of choice (Dt Mtn Dew...NOM NOM NOM)

I'm a major drinker period. Regardless of the beverage I will drink 8-10 glasses full at the average meal. I generally drink 2 2liters of DMD a day plus 1-2 20oz.

Recently quit beer(temporarily at least) as well....just not sure what my hydration of choice will be but going to work on it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #80
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm going go give up soda for a month in March and see how it goes. I don't have an insane soda intake like I did when I was single, but I'd like to cut it out for financial and health benefits.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #81
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Been thinking on this.
I drink a TON of soda. All diet...I have not had a regular soda in a decade probably..but still the I am starting to worry about the quantity of artificial crap Im putting in me (seriously Im closing in on lab rat status) Not really sure what the answer will be for me.

As weird as this sounds, I love bottled water but water from a glass makes me physically wretch. Dont know why, cant get past it. Have tried to force myself and spit water on the table more than once.

I also have nearly eliminated sugar from my diet completely...so milk, fruit juice, gatorade etc is out.

Ive switched to diet green teas and diet flavored water...but in the end I fell like Im just substituting eually as bad stuff as my crack of choice (Dt Mtn Dew...NOM NOM NOM)

I'm a major drinker period. Regardless of the beverage I will drink 8-10 glasses full at the average meal. I generally drink 2 2liters of DMD a day plus 1-2 20oz.

Recently quit beer(temporarily at least) as well....just not sure what my hydration of choice will be but going to work on it.

This was me.

24 oz Arnold Palmer in the AM, another at lunch, then a 2 liter at night while I am at home playing Xbox or watching TV.

I can't drink diet, the taste just gags me bad. So I almost went cold turkey.

I went with green tea with a teaspoon of honey in the AM, did that for a week, the rest of the day was water, I get the urge for soda, pound the water.

It's been the best thing for me....I now drink water consistently, an occasional glass of OJ, but it is water.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #82
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I am up to 8 1/2 months without a soda.

That was in March of last year. So, about 19 months now w/ no soda! My sister still drinks Pepsi and its usually in the house, I don't ask her to hide it anymore like I used to, and I don't even notice. Nothing at all but water for me. I'll have a glass of orange juice if my blood sugar drops to the point that I feel the need for a quick fix, which hasn't happened since Thanksgiving'ish.

I still have weight and diet and exercise issues, but before this I would go months where 75% or more of my liquid intake was regular, sugary sodas. Beating this has given me a chance to succeed at everything else.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #83
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job for those that have done well at kicking the soda habit. I can't begin to say how important getting rid of soda (both sugar and diet) was for me in my weight loss. The absolute easiest weight to lose was the meaningless amount of calories that I had in soda every day. After getting past that hurdle, the next steps were far easier.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #84
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'll be honest: the main reason I decided to do this in March rather than this month is I have a couple of coaching clinics over the next few days. I want to have the soda there for that.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #85
Kodos
Resident Alien

Talking

Quote:

Baby steps.

Yay! I hit the year mark on Saturday. Hard to believe considering I was drinking around 50 oz a day before I stopped. It'll be interesting to see if I stumble at all after hitting the initial goal. There were several times last year when the main thing that stopped me from breaking down was not wanting to break the streak before I hit a year.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-10-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #86
Kodos
Resident Alien

Still going, but having a weak day. Went looking for articles to help me.

9 Disturbing Side Effects of Soda | Rodale News
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #87
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm about 3 months mostly off the junk now. I still treat myself to a small fountain soda about once a week and I've gone through about 3 bottles of Mountain Dew in that time, just taking a swig here and there when I couldn't take it anymore. But compared to the 2 or 3 bottle a week habit I did have I'm kind of proud of myself.

I started off with water infused with lemon & lime but after a couple of weeks it started to taste like I was drinking Pledge. Right now I'm drinking Tropicana 50% lemonade and cutting it to hell with water. A bottle, which has about 84 total sugars in it will last me about 10 days. As long as I have that little bit of flavor and sugar I'm ok. Tried cold turkey with water and it just did not work.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #88
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I went cold turkey three years ago. Switched over to tea. Then about a year ago, went cold turkey on putting Splenda in tea, which meant the end of tea itself. Now it's just water and black coffee for the most part.

One thing that really helped was getting a SodaStream to carbonate the water.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #89
Suicane75
Coordinator

See, I've tried carbonated water, but all it did was make me want soda more.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #90
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
One thing that really helped was getting a SodaStream to carbonate the water.

Was never a big soda guy, mostly water and green tea, but we have a SodaStream too. I like carbonated water with lemon/lime, and they also make a 0 calorie, 0 sugar Ginger Ale that I will have on occasionally when I do have a soda craving. (Which is very rare)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #91
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Been 17 months for me without a soda!

Sometimes on bad days, I'll be in a store and really have a desire for a Dr. Pepper or something. The voice in my head says just one won't kill me...

But I don't do it.. i don't ever do it.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not wanting to break my streak has saved me many times.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #93
britrock88
Pro Starter

Hoping not to derail you guys with this question, but how do you do highballs?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #94
HarryLime
Mascot

Congrats all for your efforts! Kicking the soft drink is damn hard, the stuff is addictive.. Whilst i havent 100% kicked it, my soft drink intake is maybe 1 bottle every 3 months, with water being 99% of fluid intake for me...

Whenever i get the urge to drink soft drink, i just think of this article below, and water it is....

Pepsi Admits That Mountain Dew Is Capable of Dissolving Animals - The Atlantic Wire - The Atlantic

If pepsi lawyers use animal dissolving in cans as a defense in a court of law, what the hell is this crap doing to my body when i drink it?

I have been off the beer for over 3 years tho, and that crap is just as bad as soft drink!
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #95
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
See, I've tried carbonated water, but all it did was make me want soda more.

You should try izze if you need a fix once a while. No paint removers in the ingredients.

IZZE Sparkling Juice. Refreshingly Different
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

On March 14, 2013, I drank my last Cherry Coke. Today marks 1,000 days since I last drank soda. Not surprisingly, I'm thirty pounds lighter. At the time I quit, I was drinking on average two 20-ounce bottles and one can of Cherry Coke every day. That's 670 empty calories each day. So I've saved myself 670,000 calories since I gave up soda. Looking at it in another way, that's 182,000 grams of sugar that I've avoided. Also, all those Cokes would have cost me around $3,500.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-10-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #97
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm down to about one Coke per week. If I completely stop, I end up back on the train binge drinking it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #98
Kodos
Resident Alien

For me, cutting back never worked because I would keep increasing the acceptable limits as time went by. It had to be an outright ban.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #99
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So I had stopped drinking soda until I moved back to Uta. Here is why.

Utah has gas stations and even specialty drive ups that focus and specialize in Soda. That's right, the beer selection sucks compared to the amount of different sodas I can choose from and to get a 44 oz fountain soda, all that much easier.

So I started drinking it again...finally cut it off the past 2 weeks, cold turkey, I drink my coffee in the morning and then water for the rest of the day.

Waist started shrinking again, and the weight I gained is almost gone.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #100
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
On March 14, 2013, I drank my last Cherry Coke. Today marks 1,000 days since I last drank soda. Not surprisingly, I'm thirty pounds lighter. At the time I quit, I was drinking on average two 20-ounce bottles and one can of Cherry Coke every day. That's 670 empty calories each day. So I've saved myself 670,000 calories since I gave up soda. Looking at it in another way, that's 182,000 grams of sugar that I've avoided. Also, all those Cokes would have cost me around $3,500.

Awesome!!