Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #151
bhlloy
Coordinator

Montour won't be needed any time soon. The Ducks are loaded with offensive defensemen, in addition to the guys Chief mentioned there is Shea Theodore in the system ahead of him
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #152
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, we're pretty strong at the moment in that department. Vatanen has been terrific in his first real opportunity this year, and Lindholm was last year's revelation. And of course our best offensive defenseman is probably former high draft pick Cam Fowler (although without looking at team stats, I think he is behind Vatanen right now in points). We have a smattering of vets who can contribute, even if they're not great offensive players, like Beauchemin and Lovejoy.

All that said, I am sure we won't mind adding more talent to an already very deep and talented farm system.
No need to start those years of control in the AHL... Let him develop in college haha
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #153
MikeVic
Head Coach

Kane, Bogosian dealt to Sabres in eight-player blockbuster deal - Article - TSN

Don't know a lot about some of these guys, but I guess the Jets actually got something of value in return so that's good. I wonder if they will still make another deal trading away a Dman for a better forward?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #154
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres gave up a lot. Holy cow.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #155
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Congrats Evander Kane. You complained so much about the weather in Winnipeg we traded you to somewhere warmer!

Myers does have negative value with his cap hit, but yeah both those 2 prospects and a late 1st is a nice job by Winnipeg past the obvious on-ice upgrade for the playoff push.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #156
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Chevy did really well on this trade. Bogo for Myers is basically even, and Myers is actually cheaper in actual cash (which matters to Winnipeg more than cap space). Plus Bogo has always been rumored to like to party a bit too much and might have been pulling Trouba down that road with him, so it's good to break up that negative influence.

Then you get all that other stuff for Kane, who everyone knew was never putting on a Jets jersey again, and I think that's a win, even if Stafford leaves after the year.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #157
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Congrats Evander Kane. You complained so much about the weather in Winnipeg we traded you to somewhere warmer!

Myers does have negative value with his cap hit, but yeah both those 2 prospects and a late 1st is a nice job by Winnipeg past the obvious on-ice upgrade for the playoff push.

According to this site, Myers is cheaper than Bogo and his salary goes down each year?

http://winnipegwhiteout.com/news/tra...tant-analysis/
Old 02-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #158
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Chevy did really well on this trade. Bogo for Myers is basically even, and Myers is actually cheaper in actual cash (which matters to Winnipeg more than cap space). Plus Bogo has always been rumored to like to party a bit too much and might have been pulling Trouba down that road with him, so it's good to break up that negative influence.

Then you get all that other stuff for Kane, who everyone knew was never putting on a Jets jersey again, and I think that's a win, even if Stafford leaves after the year.

The more I process this trade, the more I think it's a win-win for both teams. The Sabres might of overpaid, but they get a player in Kane, who hopefully gets healthy and the change of scenery helps with the off-ice issues, who can be a game-changing player. Provided last year's No. 2 overall pick, Sam Reinhart, and this year's pick--very likely McDavid or Eichel--pan out, the Sabres will have three young forwards with all-star potential. And Kane won't have to be the "face" of the franchise in Buffalo-likely McDavid or Eichel will be.

Stafford is a great piece for Winnipeg--change of scenery might help with him as well. Rumors are that Lemieux wasn't going to sign with Buffalo-quite the diva move for a guy who a second-round pick last year. Armia could be a really good player. The Sabres didn't need to give up that first round pick, though. Just seems like a tad too much.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-16-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #159
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dola...

Sabres also just moved G Jhonas Enroth to Dallas for G Andres Lindback and a conditional 2016 3rd round pick.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-11-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #160
MikeVic
Head Coach

What is the best hockey management game out there?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #161
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've never found anything better than the old free EHM. You can still get it at Fhockey - Home of Eastside Hockey Manager

I think I remember liking the 1.16 version the best but it's been a bit.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #162
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

A little late to the party here, but I don't think the Sabres really gave up too much in the Kane deal. Myers is a defenseman who doesn't seem interested in clearing the front of the net even though he's big. Armia hasn't really shown anything terribly impressive at the AHL level yet. Lemieux may turn out to be great, but he's not his father yet. Stafford wasn't going to get re-signed by the Sabres anyway (at least not if they were smart), so there's no need to keep him around.

So the Sabres get Bogosian, who actually seems to have an interest in playing defense. Then there's Kane, who has the opportunity to play with McDavid or Eichel next year.

Obviously, the Sabres don't want to win any games this year, so Kane being injured right now doesn't hurt them at all. Seems like a great deal to build for the future, especially since the Sabres have about 16 million draft picks over the next couple of years. I don't think it's a huge loss giving up Armia and Lemieux.

Then again, I'm a Devils fan, so I'm probably pretty terrible at evaluating a team's future, given that my team has no future.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 02-14-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #163
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I've never found anything better than the old free EHM. You can still get it at Fhockey - Home of Eastside Hockey Manager

I think I remember liking the 1.16 version the best but it's been a bit.
I always got an annoying number of RTE9 errors running that... Was there an easy workaround to that somewhere?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 AM   #164
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sad news:

Former NHLer dead at 35; was depressed after concussion | New York Post

"CHICAGO — Former NHL defenseman Steve Montador was found unconscious in his home in Mississauga, Ontario, early Sunday morning and was later pronounced dead, according to the Peel Region Police. He was 35.

No foul play was suspected.

Montador last played in the NHL for the Chicago Blackhawks during the 2011-12 season. He missed the 2012-13 season recovering from a concussion. He said he battled depression as a physical symptom of the brain injury.

“I know people talk about sports being a microcosm for life, and it’s very true that way,” he said in March 2013, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. “I can see why people have a hard time with … being taken away from something they love to do. There’s a lot of uncertainty, a lot of fear, a lot of anxiety and depression. I’ve had a lot of help to work through that, and I feel like I’ve taken the right steps.”

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-16-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:11 AM   #165
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
A little late to the party here, but I don't think the Sabres really gave up too much in the Kane deal. Myers is a defenseman who doesn't seem interested in clearing the front of the net even though he's big. Armia hasn't really shown anything terribly impressive at the AHL level yet. Lemieux may turn out to be great, but he's not his father yet. Stafford wasn't going to get re-signed by the Sabres anyway (at least not if they were smart), so there's no need to keep him around.

So the Sabres get Bogosian, who actually seems to have an interest in playing defense. Then there's Kane, who has the opportunity to play with McDavid or Eichel next year.

Obviously, the Sabres don't want to win any games this year, so Kane being injured right now doesn't hurt them at all. Seems like a great deal to build for the future, especially since the Sabres have about 16 million draft picks over the next couple of years. I don't think it's a huge loss giving up Armia and Lemieux.

Then again, I'm a Devils fan, so I'm probably pretty terrible at evaluating a team's future, given that my team has no future.

The Sabres tried to sign Lemieux--apparently wasn't going to sign with Buffalo.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #166
The Jackal
Coordinator

1) Sad about Montador
2) Don't know enough about Armia/Lemieux to know if the Sabres overpaid, but Myers, Kane, and maybe even Bogosian needed a change of scenery so I like it from both sides
3) Nashville picking up Franson seems to have gone under the radar .. not that they really needed help on defense but damn do I envy that backline
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #167
bbor
Pro Starter

Wish the Laffs would have been able to re-sign Santorelli....guy is pure hustle and can make things happen,one of the few bright spots in Toronto this season.I think he is a highly underated player.Great 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd line in a pinch.

Fransen...Meh....He wants more than 5mil per season to re-sign.I like him,but not at that price.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #168
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Wish the Laffs would have been able to re-sign Santorelli....guy is pure hustle and can make things happen,one of the few bright spots in Toronto this season.I think he is a highly underated player.Great 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd line in a pinch.

Fransen...Meh....He wants more than 5mil per season to re-sign.I like him,but not at that price.

bbor!

The 2014-2015 Toronto Maple Leafs resemble what you'd find in your toilet after you've made a Run For The Border!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #169
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
bbor!

The 2014-2015 Toronto Maple Leafs resemble what you'd find in your toilet after you've made a Run For The Border!

Hahahahah...True Nuff!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #170
Galaxy
Coordinator

Has SportsCenter and ESPN started to give the NHL more highlight and media coverage recently?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #171
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Has SportsCenter and ESPN started to give the NHL more highlight and media coverage recently?

I think it happens when football season is over.

I noticed this last year as well.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #172
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

With a loss to the Leafs last night the Jets playoff chances are looking pretty dour. Unless they can make a move for a top-9 forward to cover up for the loss of Perrault and get Buff back on 'D' I don't like their odds.

That said, I'm OK with another playoff miss if getting that top-9 forward would mean trading away anything more than one or two of our glut of 3rd pairing d-men and a low-wish pick. No point mortgaging the future at this point.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #173
Galaxy
Coordinator

Will the KHL survive? The Russian economy will continue to cater--as long as Putin is around and oil stays relatively low.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-24-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #174
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Patrick Kane out up to 10 weeks. Was having the best season of his career. What a bummer.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #175
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Patrick Kane out up to 10 weeks. Was having the best season of his career. What a bummer.

So that probably means he's out until the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.

Ouch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #176
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Jets picked up Jiri Tlusty from the Canes for a 3rd round pick and a conditional 5/6 pick. Seems like a good price for a decent rental. Hopefully he can help them stay in the playoff picture until Wheeler and eventually Perrault get healthy.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #177
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Now they are saying 12 weeks. Yikes!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #178
Logan
Head Coach

Love this...Ulf Samuelsson's kid Henrik is making his NHL debut tonight with Arizona. And Ulf will be there...coaching against him at MSG.

Second kid of his to make it to the NHL in a week
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Devils traded Jagr to Florida for a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year.

Crap. I really wanted the Wings to get Jagr. I've always wanted to play in Detroit for at least a bit.

Ah well. If this means that Florida catches Boston and knocks them out of the playoffs, I might... might be okay with this.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #180
SackAttack
Head Coach

Conditional 3rd, ahem

And the Panthers have a proud history of being the NHL's retirement home. Welcome, Jagr.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #181
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Conditional 3rd, ahem

And the Panthers have a proud history of being the NHL's retirement home. Welcome, Jagr.

As I read it, the Devils will get a 3rd. It just depends which one.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #182
bbor
Pro Starter

Great trade by Toronto to get out from under Clarksons contract.....Debatable on what Columbus was thinking.

Best i have heard is Hortons contract was not insured and that Columbus rather pay a player that's actually playing.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #183
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Great trade by Toronto to get out from under Clarksons contract.....Debatable on what Columbus was thinking.

Best i have heard is Hortons contract was not insured and that Columbus rather pay a player that's actually playing.

I think it's pretty simple.

Because Horton's contract wasn't insured, Columbus had to pay the full amount. They are a budget team. They have internal financial restrictions that are below the cap. They had a player they were paying over $5 million a year who was doing nothing and likely wouldn't be anything in the future.

Toronto has plenty of cash. Their main constraint is the cap. Since they can put Horton on LTIR and, therefore, not have his salary count against the cap, they were willing to take Horton (more accurately, Horton's uninsured contract) on.

In return, the Blue Jackets did add a little salary, but at least they are now spending this money on a player who can actually, you know, play.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #184
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Scary, but great piece

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/in-my-blood/
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #185
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think it's pretty simple.

Because Horton's contract wasn't insured, Columbus had to pay the full amount. They are a budget team. They have internal financial restrictions that are below the cap. They had a player they were paying over $5 million a year who was doing nothing and likely wouldn't be anything in the future.

Toronto has plenty of cash. Their main constraint is the cap. Since they can put Horton on LTIR and, therefore, not have his salary count against the cap, they were willing to take Horton (more accurately, Horton's uninsured contract) on.

In return, the Blue Jackets did add a little salary, but at least they are now spending this money on a player who can actually, you know, play.

I could see a team like...say Chicago trading the Leafs for Horton now...they could certainly use the cap relief with Taews and Kanes 13 mil deals starting next season.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #186
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Let's see, Carolina trades away Tlusty and Sekera for a handful of picks and a decent prospect, then shuts out Washington 3-0 tonight. Makes sense.

No, really, it does. It's time for the Canes to go on their annual push to ruin whatever chances they have at getting a top draft pick. They've won 4 of 6 and 6 out of 10. They're now a full six points clear of Arizona for 27th place (and thus TWO slots below the McDavid/Eichel draft positions) and two points behind Toronto and three behind Columbus. Yep, gonna be picking in that 6-10 range they never seem to escape from year after year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #187
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I could see a team like...say Chicago trading the Leafs for Horton now...they could certainly use the cap relief with Taews and Kanes 13 mil deals starting next season.
LTIR doesn't work that way, it just enables you to ignore the injured players salary. The Leafs found an ingenious way to use their money to get out from an atrocious contract but I don't think the Hawks have any bad players with high cap numbers. Just really high cap numbers (and really long terms) for good players.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #188
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
LTIR doesn't work that way, it just enables you to ignore the injured players salary. The Leafs found an ingenious way to use their money to get out from an atrocious contract but I don't think the Hawks have any bad players with high cap numbers. Just really high cap numbers (and really long terms) for good players.

Bickell. And his deal isn't all that bad, and only two more years.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #189
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

The Blackhawks rumors floating around, mainly Twitter, are rather...explosive.

An alleged fight occurred in the locker room. The rumor floated is Sharp has been sleeping with Kane's girlfriend, and Keith's wife.

Ouch.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 02-27-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #190
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Great read, thanks for sharing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #191
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

But.....If say the Hawks are at 78 mil over the summer....(allowed to be 10% over in summer) they could trade a large contract to the leafs for Horton,Take 5 mil off the cap by putting Horton on LTIR and dump a 3-4 mil contract and be under the cap.The Hawks need to shed money in the summer once those contracts kick in.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #192
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Let's see, Carolina trades away Tlusty and Sekera for a handful of picks and a decent prospect, then shuts out Washington 3-0 tonight. Makes sense.

No, really, it does. It's time for the Canes to go on their annual push to ruin whatever chances they have at getting a top draft pick. They've won 4 of 6 and 6 out of 10. They're now a full six points clear of Arizona for 27th place (and thus TWO slots below the McDavid/Eichel draft positions) and two points behind Toronto and three behind Columbus. Yep, gonna be picking in that 6-10 range they never seem to escape from year after year.

See:Leafs,Toronto

Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #193
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
DOLA

The Blackhawks rumors floating around, mainly Twitter, are rather...explosive.

An alleged fight occurred in the locker room. The rumor floated is Sharp has been sleeping with Kane's girlfriend, and Keith's wife.

Ouch.

Wow. Patrick Sharp is quite the lothario it seems.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #194
Logan
Head Coach

The Yandle trade makes me excited and nervous at the same time. He's the perfect defenseman for AV's system, and transitioning the puck out of the zone has really been the only weakness that the Rangers have shown since things got clicking back in December. It also showed up during the Finals last year when the back line couldn't quite handle LA's stronger forwards when trying to get the puck out.

Duclair is a really strong looking prospect and has already shown some nice production at a very young age, albeit over a small stretch. But while this team is built to win now, there is enough youth on the current team where it's not quite mortgaging the entire future. Glad to see we're going for it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #195
Grover
Pro Starter

I am very pleased with the haul Philly has gotten for both Kimmo and Coburn.

Now if only we can move McDonald, Lecavalier...

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I am very pleased with the haul Philly has gotten for both Kimmo and Coburn.

Now if only we can move McDonald, Lecavalier...

That was a really good haul for Coburn. I don't quite get that one from Tampa.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #197
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Chevy is killing it at the bargain racks this month. Stempniak for Klingberg is a nice playoff-push addition for a piece that clearly was not part of the Jets plans. Should be interesting to see if anything more happens today. At some point I've gotta figure he's done just because the dressing room is going to be half new guys soon.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #198
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #199
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Blackhawks trade Ben Smith to SJ, no word on the return yet.

Update: Looks like Andrew Desjardins is headed back to Chicago.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 03-02-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #200
Logan
Head Coach

This is really great and all but Jordan Leopold really named his daughter Jordyn?

Jordan Leopold’s daughter asks Wild to ‘bring dad home’ and they do | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports