Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #251
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
QFT. I'm convinced they are just seeing how close they can cut it and still win a Stanley Cup just because they are bored. Nobody loses to an unmotivated Oilers team otherwise.

No doubt about it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #252
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
QFT. I'm convinced they are just seeing how close they can cut it and still win a Stanley Cup just because they are bored. Nobody loses to an unmotivated Oilers team otherwise.

Unmotivated?

No pressure to win is what drives these guys apparently.

Oilers' prospects, plz? Thanks!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #253
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It happened! Jets are in! Flames too! Yeaahhhh!!!!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #254
bhlloy
Coordinator

Congrats to the Jet fans, must be incredible to be back in the playoffs. And very happy for the Flames as well
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #255
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

No Kings!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #256
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
It happened! Jets are in! Flames too! Yeaahhhh!!!!

I have no problem cheering for the Jets (and hopefully the Sens) but I'm sorry, I draw the line really far away from Calgary.

Enjoy, Fidatelo, playoff hockey is SO MUCH FUN!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #257
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Red Wings made it to the playoffs for the 24th consecutive year.

Sadly, given they way they've been playing for the last month, they will be lucky to play more than 4 games.

The goaltending has been, uh, kinda bad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #258
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Red Wings made it to the playoffs for the 24th consecutive year.

Sadly, given they way they've been playing for the last month, they will be lucky to play more than 4 games.

The goaltending has been, uh, kinda bad.

So you're saying Wings fans didn't celebrate in the streets last night for reaching the playoffs?

Winnipeg Jets fans celebrate as team secures NHL playoff spot - Manitoba - CBC News
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #259
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

I love the double-horn contraption shown in this photo
Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #260
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So you're saying Wings fans didn't celebrate in the streets last night for reaching the playoffs?

Winnipeg Jets fans celebrate as team secures NHL playoff spot - Manitoba - CBC News

Here was my celebratory text to my buddy last night: "Well, we're in the playoffs. So, that's something... I guess."

I celebrated in the streets after winning the Cup in 1997 and 1998.

Those were my last street celebrations.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, my son & I watched the end of those games while rooting hard for Colorado & L.A. Probably the biggest rooting interest I've had in a hockey game in quite a while.

Nothing personal FOFC 'Peggers, I just don't see my household ever wishing anything but winless seasons on that franchise. F 'em, f 'em with two broken sticks and a zamboni.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #262
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Meanwhile, my son & I watched the end of those games while rooting hard for Colorado & L.A. Probably the biggest rooting interest I've had in a hockey game in quite a while.

Nothing personal FOFC 'Peggers, I just don't see my household ever wishing anything but winless seasons on that franchise. F 'em, f 'em with two broken sticks and a zamboni.

Fair enough, I feel the same way about the Coyotes.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #263
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Sharks get to open this year at LA's banner raising after screwing around all offseason trying to get rid of Thornton. They're going to suuuuuuuuuuuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I highly doubt the Sharks are going to suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Their major acquisition was John Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Yup. The Sharks will be a top 5 team in the west and lose in the first round. Again.

Quote:
I'm not saying that was smart, but they are still going to be a good team

Sigh. Not really sure what to say at this point. Blow it all up? Thornton obviously isn't going anywhere - and he shouldn't, dude is amazing still - but there is so much mediocrity on this team it is amazing. Add to that the weird drama in the front office and the locker room, and you get bad hockey and a franchise that doesn't really know what it is doing. Which is sad, because they had been one of the best run franchises out there for a long time.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-10-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

One game away from getting rid of Julien and (hopefully) Lucic!

Especially if Buffalo gets even one point tonight. I can only imagine the roster they'd ice vs the Penguins Saturday in that case. Or maybe they'd be the first team in history to pull the goalie while leading/tied.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #265
bob
College Starter

I'm with Jon... no offense to the fans, but f*ck the Jets.

Signed,
Angry Thrashers Fan
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #266
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
One game away from getting rid of Julien and (hopefully) Lucic!

Especially if Buffalo gets even one point tonight. I can only imagine the roster they'd ice vs the Penguins Saturday in that case. Or maybe they'd be the first team in history to pull the goalie while leading/tied.

I get that Julien's philosophy has grown stale at this point, but why aren't more New Englanders calling for Chiarelli's head? He constructed this team and seems to me, far easier to blame for what has happened to the Bruins than Julien is.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #267
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I get that Julien's philosophy has grown stale at this point, but why aren't more New Englanders calling for Chiarelli's head? He constructed this team and seems to me, far easier to blame for what has happened to the Bruins than Julien is.
They are, and he's probably gone too, but it's clear Julien's refusal to play young guys/live with early immaturity was a huge part of Seguin's departure and he's 100% responsible for the weird line changes the past 2 games like dropping Pastrnak to the 4th line.

Chiarelli can get most of the blame for overpaying Lucic and Chris Kelly, and trading Boychuk as his salary cap relief plan. Guy does draft pretty well though.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #268
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Despite the number of Kings fans I know, I am not too sorry to see them out of the playoffs. And I'm quite happy to see the Sharks out, too, as a normal sports-hate past-transgressions old-Pacific-Division rivals sorta thing.

It will be a short-lived happiness if the Ducks don't show up for the playoffs, of course.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #269
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
They are, and he's probably gone too, but it's clear Julien's refusal to play young guys/live with early immaturity was a huge part of Seguin's departure and he's 100% responsible for the weird line changes the past 2 games like dropping Pastrnak to the 4th line.

Chiarelli can get most of the blame for overpaying Lucic and Chris Kelly, and trading Boychuk as his salary cap relief plan. Guy does draft pretty well though.

Fair enough. Moving Pastrnak down is downright stupid.

While Chiarelli does draft well, my biggest issue with him has been handing out No Movement Clauses to players like handing out candy to kids. He basically handcuffed himself by doing that.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #270
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
While Chiarelli does draft well, my biggest issue with him has been handing out No Movement Clauses to players like handing out candy to kids. He basically handcuffed himself by doing that.

What does canning Chiarelli solve in that regard though? What's done is done and the team is in the same position going forward no matter what. I'd rather start a rebuild with a guy who drafts well and has likely learned from that mistake than someone totally unproven. This guy very recently assembled a team that won a Stanley Cup and was close a couple other times. Do you really want to turf him? This reminds me so much of the Bronco fans that would ditch Manning and move on right now, like there is more than a 2% chance they will be able to do better.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #271
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Fair enough. Moving Pastrnak down is downright stupid.

While Chiarelli does draft well, my biggest issue with him has been handing out No Movement Clauses to players like he's dressed as Paul Holmgren for halloween. He basically handcuffed himself by doing that.

fixed that for you
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #272
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
What does canning Chiarelli solve in that regard though? What's done is done and the team is in the same position going forward no matter what. I'd rather start a rebuild with a guy who drafts well and has likely learned from that mistake than someone totally unproven. This guy very recently assembled a team that won a Stanley Cup and was close a couple other times. Do you really want to turf him? This reminds me so much of the Bronco fans that would ditch Manning and move on right now, like there is more than a 2% chance they will be able to do better.

Short answer: Yes. He's continually made the Bruins WORSE since they won the Stanley Cup.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #273
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Despite the number of Kings fans I know, I am not too sorry to see them out of the playoffs. And I'm quite happy to see the Sharks out, too, as a normal sports-hate past-transgressions old-Pacific-Division rivals sorta thing.

It will be a short-lived happiness if the Ducks don't show up for the playoffs, of course.

I'm hoping this lights a fire under their rear ends. Getting sick of the lackluster seasons on my end. That said, they could use the break after the runs they have had the last three years.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #274
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Short answer: Yes. He's continually made the Bruins WORSE since they won the Stanley Cup.

Well, to be fair it's pretty hard to improve on a Stanley Cup team. Did you expect them to just keep winning cups for a decade or two?
Old 04-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #275
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, to be fair it's pretty hard to improve on a Stanley Cup team. Did you expect them to just keep winning cups for a decade or two?

No, and as a Flyers fan, thank the maker.

But they aren't just taking small steps back (though it looks that way), they are taking big steps back. They have a bunch of untradeable guys and a needs to retire Chara bogging them down.

I'm completely cool with them being horrible for a few years.

I would personally making a change at GM and coach, again that's just me.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #276
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Looks like Jets vs Ducks, should be fun but the Jets will be in real tough (as I suppose an 8-seed should be). I think I'd have had more confidence against St. Louis. Going to be lots of sleepy Jets fans for a week or two since even the home games are getting late starts.

And also:
Old 04-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #277
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Last edited by Fidatelo : 04-12-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #278
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sabres fire Ted Nolan, who successfully got them a top 2 pick and got canned anyway. Shame for a guy who has never really got a fair crack.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #279
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Other than the Red Wings/Tampa series, Winnipeg/Anaheim is the series I'm most excited for.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #280
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is sad. I am excited for my team being in the playoffs and being the #1 seed, but it's not entirely 100% excitement. It's also quite a bit anxiety and fatalism, because I believe in the end, this team won't go far. The Ducks aren't strong enough in their own end to get to the Finals, and that's above and beyond being coached by First Round Boudreau.

The Jets actually look like a normal, tough playoff team, with some holes as an 8 seed would, but still a tough out. The Ducks might eek out of that one on talent, and they would have a good chance against Vancouver (similar to the Ducks in the recent playoffs) and Calgary (just not very good), so they could literally luck their way into the WCF. But I don't see them beating any team which survives the other side of that bracket.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #281
Logan
Head Coach

Should be a great playoffs. Not much in the way of weak teams and seems pretty wide open in general.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #282
The Jackal
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't know what to make of a lot of the matchups. I have a sneaking suspicion the Rangers are the best equipped to win the Cup though.. and that saddens me.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #283
djsatu
High School Varsity

I will be cheering for the Flames, since my beloved Sharks pooped the bed this year. Anaheim is gonna be really tough to beat in the West, and Islanders are my pick in the East.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #284
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
I will be cheering for the Flames, since my beloved Sharks pooped the bed this year. Anaheim is gonna be really tough to beat in the West, and Islanders are my pick in the East.

The Isles should be good for awhile but I'm not sure they are there yet. I think they will and should beat the Caps, but I can't see them beating this year's version of the Rangers. If Price carries his Vezina-level play to the playoffs, they could take the Rangers. And I'll fully admit I don't know enough about the teams in the West since I don't watch them play very often. I love the makeup the Blues have, but they don't have the best goaltenders and they seem to struggle offensively at times.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #285
The Jackal
Coordinator

I've always liked Calgary, too, for a variety of reasons. Was always a big fan of Iginla, enjoy their color scheme, they were my dominant EHM team back with Phaneuf. Monahan seems like he was a great pick.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #286
djsatu
High School Varsity

The Rangers were my pick in the east before the season started. I really like what the Islanders bring to the table each and every night, hence why im picking them in the east. Tampa Bay could be scary if they get good goaltending though.

The way Ottawa has played, I think they can knock off Montreal round 1. Price is the best goalie in hockey no doubt, but Ottawa and the Hamburglar have been unstoppable. Karlsson,Stone,Turris,Zebenejad etc might just be too much for the Canadians. Here's to wishful thinking
Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #287
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
I've always liked Calgary, too, for a variety of reasons. Was always a big fan of Iginla, enjoy their color scheme, they were my dominant EHM team back with Phaneuf. Monahan seems like he was a great pick.

They have been the most fun to watch this year (maybe im biased because I watched all there games). Hudler, Monahan and Gaudreau is the best line in hockey right now. Losing Giordano hurt, but other players have stepped up big time when it mattered. Bye bye Vancouver!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #288
The Jackal
Coordinator

Ottawa could definitely beat Montreal. I'm still unconvinced when it comes to Price and the playoffs. Hammond is definitely hot enough to beat him. Also, I'd love to go to a playoff game in Montreal some day.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #289
Logan
Head Coach

I think the Isles are a year away from really competing. It seemed like the downward spiral they went through at the end of the season is the type of thing that happens with teams who aren't really prepared for success, and the sort of growing pains you need to experience in order to break through later. This is a team that went from leading the conference to backing into the playoffs very very quickly. I think they get some playoff experience this year and use the offseason to focus on the next step. Goaltending could be what holds them back though.

Re-reading that seems like so much tired sportswriter cliche...ha. But I believe it.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #290
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Speaking of goaltending...

The Wings are going with Mrazek over Howard for Game 1. Howard has been poop ever since coming back from the injury. Mrazek has been great in the games he's won, but really bad in the games he's lost. I guess he did shutout Tampa a few weeks ago, so maybe that's playing into things. Maybe, Babcock feels if Mrazek stumbles, Howard will be better suited to take over. I dunno. Neither goalie has been great. It's a huge issue.

I think Babcock is going to leave the Wings too. That will make me sad and unhappy.

The Wings are also sitting Smith and Marchenko on defense and Stephen Weiss (who's been terrible) is getting benched for Ray Ferraro's son Landon aka "Lil' Parm."
Old 04-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #291
The Jackal
Coordinator

Not gonna lie... I'd like to see Babcock behind the Flyers bench next year.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #292
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Looks like Kane practiced with contact today and could play in the first round series against Nashville.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #293
Logan
Head Coach

Just got an invite to Game 1 of Rangers-Pens.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just got an invite to Game 1 of Rangers-Pens.

Sweet! You going to accept it? If you go, have a good time!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #295
Logan
Head Coach

Of course.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #296
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's hard to get that excited about a Blues playoff team, but I've really liked their makeup going into the playoffs. I feel like everyone is finally healthy and playing well. Goal-tending (unfortunately) is the biggest question right now and I wouldn't be shocked to see more of Allen than Elliot as the playoffs go on. History would say that the two teams I root for will continue to have bad outcomes (Arizona losing the lottery and missing out on McDavid and Eichel and the Blues flaming out in the first round yet again). But, my hope is 2015 is the year where both break that trend....

Last edited by Arles : 04-14-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #297
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So. We have 12 seats in a box w/ free food & drink, 2 seats on the glass, and 4 seats 9th row center ice.

Our original plan was to rotate people from box to glass. We discovered we can't do that - if you're in the box, you stay there.

So, what would you take? A period or two on the glass, and swap out to the 9th row seats, or the full game in the skybox?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #298
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So. We have 12 seats in a box w/ free food & drink, 2 seats on the glass, and 4 seats 9th row center ice.

Our original plan was to rotate people from box to glass. We discovered we can't do that - if you're in the box, you stay there.

So, what would you take? A period or two on the glass, and swap out to the 9th row seats, or the full game in the skybox?

That is a tough one, I would take the seats on the glass though.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #299
The Jackal
Coordinator

I've been at or near the glass a few times - it's a really fun experience and I bet it'd be pretty sweet in the playoffs. Being that close to the players is great. It's not optimal for sight lines though, and I've never watched from a box .. that could be cool.

I will say though, having been to playoff games, I'd rather be in the thick of the crowd than sequestered in a box. Definitely want to do a box for a regular season game sometime.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #300
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd take 9th row center. Glass is too close to get a good feel for the play. Box is too stuffy.