Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #201
miami_fan
Coordinator

It may not be fair but that is exactly how he was labeled right up to the last month or so of this season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #202
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is funny.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

Get up dammit, GET UP!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #204
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know Noah has struggled with injuries to his feet but man, his hands are horrible right now.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #205
miami_fan
Coordinator

Agree with Jeff Van Gundy 100%!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #206
miami_fan
Coordinator

Where is that thread about Lebron and last shots?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #207
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Agree with Jeff Van Gundy 100%!

Regarding the last few seconds, are the referees in the building making the call or are the officials in the replay center making the call? I am not sure why they have the replay center if the replay center officials are not making the final call.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #208
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Dumbleavey is a helluva actor.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #209
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Where is that thread about Lebron and last shots?

This should cover it.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #210
RainMaker
General Manager

Tough loss for the Bulls. Blatt and Thibodeau battling to see who can be the worst coach left in the playoffs. My goodness they are putting on a shitshow.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #211
Groundhog
Coordinator

I know Love is out, but the Cavs are suddenly playing a completely different offense this round, and it's having the effect of taking Kyrie out of the offense. Rose is getting the credit defensively, but IMO it's as much the fact that Kyrie is just being largely frozen out, with the Cavs basically running the pre-Heat LeBron-era offense.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #212
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I know Love is out, but the Cavs are suddenly playing a completely different offense this round, and it's having the effect of taking Kyrie out of the offense. Rose is getting the credit defensively, but IMO it's as much the fact that Kyrie is just being largely frozen out, with the Cavs basically running the pre-Heat LeBron-era offense.

Kyrie's foot has taken Kyrie out of the offense.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah I was at the game and Kyrie did not look good running at all. Foot is clearly bothering him.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #214
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Tough loss for the Bulls. Blatt and Thibodeau battling to see who can be the worst coach left in the playoffs. My goodness they are putting on a shitshow.

I get that Niko is raw but his abilities play in the NBA and any reasonable coach would recognize this(pertaining more to game 3)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #215
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Usually been indifferent to LeBron, but he willed that team to a win today. Very impressive.

And suddenly the best team in the playoffs looks like the Clippers!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #216
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I get that Niko is raw but his abilities play in the NBA and any reasonable coach would recognize this(pertaining more to game 3)

The last 2 games have concluded in an equal score between the two teams. Niko is +27 in 40 minutes in those games.

And yes that's a small sample size but it's been that way all season. The Bulls statistically just play better with him at the PF. He opens up space for Butler and Rose. He's a good defensive rebounder. And he can actually get back defensively to stop teams in transition which Noah and Pau can't.

If he had played 30 minutes a game in this series, I think the Bulls would win it (along with Snell playing over Hinrich). But when Gasol gets back, he'll go back to the bench and play 5 minutes a night and they'll get bounced in 6.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #217
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, Lebron was a one man team today offensively. Would also give a lot of credit to Mozgov who was amazing defensively.

The best comparison I've heard with Thibodeau is the defensive version of Mike D'Antoni. A guy who revolutionized the game, had everyone steal his ideas, and is now coaching in a league that has passed him by. Look forward to seeing what a new coach can do for the team next season.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #218
nol
Banned

Quote:

There was a play in the 2nd quarter when the Bulls were up 8 or so where they pushed the ball in transition, had two guys make the extra pass, and then Mirotic airballed the wide-open three. It was so bad that I couldn't blame a coach for not wanting to go back to him later on.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:21 AM   #219
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't get why Lue isn't the coach. I was busy today so I was loosely following the game. Blatt almost called an illegal timeout, ffs.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #220
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't get why Lue isn't the coach. I was busy today so I was loosely following the game. Blatt almost called an illegal timeout, ffs.

Did I hear he also drew up a play at the end where LeBron was inbounding the ball? Did I hear that right? If so, this guy is terrible.

Good thing LeBron changed the play.

In semi-related news, Bulls, you might want to double that guy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #221
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, how dare he ! I mean, draw up a play in a close game, never thought i would see that in my life.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #222
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Yeah, how dare he ! I mean, draw up a play in a close game, never thought i would see that in my life.

Being a little intentionally obtuse on this one, aren't you?

He put his best player on the sideline with 1.5 seconds left in the game.

He shouldn't have even reached the locker room before getting fired.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #223
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

In semi-related news, Bulls, you might want to double that guy.

Good on Lebron for making it, but I'd let him take that shot all day long.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #224
whomario
Pro Starter

Hero-ball in the NBA simply does very little for me and personally i think it is not a good thing that Rose and Pierce seem to have confirmed the notion it is actually the sane thing to do, even though in both cases the shots were downright terrible.

I don´t doubt that the shot James ultimately go was infinitely better than those by Pierce/Rose and a good "play" (which had much to do with the Bulls doing a piss poor job there), but to basically imply that it is basically always wrong to draw a play for someone else is what irks me about the reactions here and in the media.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-11-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #225
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heroball in the NBA just does very little for me and personally i think it is not a good thing that Rose and Pierce seemed to have confirmed the notion it is actually the sane thing to do, even though both shots were terrible shots.

I don´t doubt that the shot James ultimately go was infinitely better and a good "play" (which had much to do with the Bulls doing a piss poor job there), but to basically imply that it is basically always wrong to draw a play for someone else is what irks me about the reactions here and in the media.

I can't speak for others or the media in general, but my opposition has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not LeBron is the #1 option. It has to do with putting him on the sideline to inbound the ball with 1.5 seconds left. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Use him as a decoy and draw up someone else for the shot? Sure. But basically make him not an option at all on the critical play of the game?

I'm sorry, that play alone (timeout issue aside) confirms to me that this guy is completely overmatched at this job.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-11-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #226
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The problem European coaches tend to have when they come over (and D'Antoni had this in his first few years in PHX) is that the talent landscape is so different in the NBA. In Europe, great coaching matters and can take a marginal team to a title. You could have put a staff consisting of Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley in their prime leading the T-Wolves, Magic or the Hornets - and that team still is irrelevant when it comes to playoff success.

Maybe on Blatt's teams with Maccabi, it made sense to draw up a play for his best shooter at the end of the game (a la JR Smith yesterday). But in the NBA, you have transcendent talents like Lebron, Steph, Chris Paul, etc. These guys are just better in these situations and should have the ball at the end of the game. Everyone isn't a replaceable cog like in Europe (when you look at the elite NBA guys).

Last edited by Arles : 05-11-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #227
whomario
Pro Starter

Chief, i seem to have indeed misread your comment. I can see that pov. However: This is so obvious at any level, i am going to assume that Blatt did not fail to recognize it but conciously went against this. Which imo is the sort of assessment a coach is supposed to make ...

On the other hand: Admittedly there are very few current stats on the matter (which is telling all by itself), but from what i have seen over the years the numbers indicate that superstars (say, the top10 or 15 players in the league) basically shoot league average in these sort of situations. Part of the reason that James seems to be above that league average by a decent margin is that he has shown to be such a willing passer in these situations which makes it harder for the defense.

I realize they are important in a 5-5 game like Basketball, but there is a reason that recently a lot of teams have had success using the "Gravitas" of the stars to create offense, not nescessarily have them be the offense.

Last edited by whomario : 05-11-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #228
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief, i seem to have indeed misread your comment. I can see that pov. However: This is so obvious at any level, i am going to assume that Blatt did not fail to recognize it but conciously went against this. Which imo is the sort of assessment a coach is supposed to make ...

On the other hand: Admittedly there are very few current stats on the matter (which is telling all by itself), but from what i have seen over the years the numbers indicate that superstars (say, the top10 or 15 players in the league) basically shoot league average in these sort of situations. Part of the reason that James seems to be above that league average by a decent margin is that he has shown to be such a willing passer in these situations which makes it harder for the defense.

I realize they are important in a 5-5 game like Basketball, but there is a reason that recently a lot of teams have had success using the "Gravitas" of the stars to create offense, not nescessarily have them be the offense.

whomario, this has nothing to do with Hero Ball or the success/failure rates of superstars hitting shots. This is purely about Blatt's decision to try to put LeBron as the inbounder. Pretty much taking him out of the game.

LeBron is the best player in the league. Blatt essentially took the best player in the league and removed him from THE critical play as the inbounder.

His willing choice to do that reminds me of D'Antoni, another guy who would stubbornly persist in his system being the sole reason something will succeed and not seeing that it's the players making plays. D'Antoni is no longer an NBA coach and nor should he be. He was terrible once everyone figured out his game, and too arrogant to admit it or to try to switch to something that worked.

Blatt's decision on this is very reminiscent of that. If he also holds so stubbornly to his system, I can't wait for him to be fired and leave the league. I can't stand arrogant coaches who don't get results.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't speak for others or the media in general, but my opposition has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not LeBron is the #1 option. It has to do with putting him on the sideline to inbound the ball with 1.5 seconds left. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Use him as a decoy and draw up someone else for the shot? Sure. But basically make him not an option at all on the critical play of the game?

I'm sorry, that play alone (timeout issue aside) confirms to me that this guy is completely overmatched at this job.

This, basically.

The timeout (near) blunder? I can excuse that as being heat of the moment. But one does not simply "forget" that LeBron is on the roster, nor does a competent coach fail to put him in play in that situation.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #230
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jon, he's apparently had timeout problems all season, to the point where Lue is the shadow coach. Someone is going to hire Lue within a season or two and I expect he'll be a solid coach. May as well just fire Blatt at the end of seasons regardless of outcome and get it over with.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #231
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Jimmy Chitwood is smart enough to know how the play should have been run... but when LeBron does it he's a ball hog... There is no way they should have had a play drawn up for their 2nd best player who has problems walking or their 3rd best in a suit on the bench or either of the former Knicks who are both having hamstring problems. If Blatt's idea was for the 6th best man on the team to shoot the ball while inbounding with his best player then the NBA isn't for him.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 05-11-2015 at 02:22 PM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #232
Groundhog
Coordinator

LeBron is the best player in the NBA (top 2 at worst), but JR Smith is the best three point shooter on the team. I totally see Blatt's thinking - get the ball to your best shooter - but that just shows the fact that he's a rookie NBA coach.

Outside of maybe the Spurs, I imagine few teams wouldn't have their best overall player looking for the ball on that play. That's just how it works with in this league.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #233
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
LeBron is the best player in the NBA (top 2 at worst), but JR Smith is the best three point shooter on the team. I totally see Blatt's thinking - get the ball to your best shooter - but that just shows the fact that he's a rookie NBA coach.

Outside of maybe the Spurs, I imagine few teams wouldn't have their best overall player looking for the ball on that play. That's just how it works with in this league.

No one is saying it's a bad idea for anyone else to shoot the ball. Just that it's phenomenally stupid to make LeBron the inbounder, and thereby taking him out of the play altogether.

Even the potential element of LBJ on the floor would force the defense to have to do so much to account for him.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #234
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
No one is saying it's a bad idea for anyone else to shoot the ball. Just that it's phenomenally stupid to make LeBron the inbounder, and thereby taking him out of the play altogether.

Even the potential element of LBJ on the floor would force the defense to have to do so much to account for him.

I don't disagree at all, just saying that I can see where his line of thinking came from - LeBron being the passer that he is, as well. If I were coaching, would I make the same call? Absolutely not.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #235
RainMaker
General Manager

There are very few ways to get a decent shot with 1.5 left from an under the basket inbounds pass. I know people say JR or Kyrie should get the shot but by the time the pass got to them the Bulls would have been able to close out. Lebron getting that shot is about as good as you're going to get. He has the athleticism to get a shot over just about everyone and is given more leeway physically to create space than most players. A good coach would have doubled him.

As for Blatt, it's pretty indefensible. Even if you don't want him shooting, he should be the decoy. Still a player shouldn't throw his coach under the bus like that.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #236
kingfc22
Head Coach

Officials looking to get Memphis in the bonus ASAP here in the second. Like to see some equal opportunity ticky tack calls on Memphis' defense
Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #237
nol
Banned

That was a championship-caliber display from Golden State, which only needs one of Curry or Thompson to shoot well. The crowd cleared out so much that I was able to pick out my uncle in the stands.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #238
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who is up for the task of coaching Anthony Davis?

New Orleans Pelicans fire head coach Monty Williams
Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #239
nol
Banned

Quote:

Probably Thibs, if this game keeps going the way it has been.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #240
RainMaker
General Manager

Enjoy running your offense through Omer Asik if you hire Thibs.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #241
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For the sake of the league I hope they hire Mike Brown
Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #242
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd love to see Mike Malone get the job. Think he's a solid coach.

Thibs will probably get a look but I think he'll end up in Orlando.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #243
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'd love to see Malone get the Pelicans job.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 AM   #244
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Going to be very interesting to see how Memphis handles the 'don't guard Tony Allen' strategy that Kerr employed in game four. In game four, Memphis scored 70.7 points per 100 possessions while Allen was on the floor, and allowed 107.4 per 100 possessions while he was on the bench. It's hard to imagine Allen will continue to be that terrible while wide open...but he's shot less than 33% from the field for his career from further than 3 feet away.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #245
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm surprised Memphis didn't use Allen as a screener more often. With Bogut sagging into the paint and Allen's strength, he could set screens on Steph/Klay and leave no help/hedge on either Conley or Lee for open shots.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #246
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's the likely strategy, but similar to leaving Allen alone, they can sell out to get through the screen and ignore the roll, knowing Bogut's camped out inside to handle anyone that gets through.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #247
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, but two good things can happen off an Allen screen. First, he can get a good pick on the defender and leave a better shooting teammate with an open look. Second, if the defender really fights over the screen to chase Lee, it leaves one less "hedging defender" to help with a drive by Conley. Most of the effective defenses by Steph have been when he hedges on a drive. If he has to stick to Conley or Lee like glue to fight over screens, there's more room for the other guard/forward to drive to the basket or get a midrange open jumper.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #248
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, but two good things can happen off an Allen screen. First, he can get a good pick on the defender and leave a better shooting teammate with an open look. Second, if the defender really fights over the screen to chase Lee, it leaves one less "hedging defender" to help with a drive by Conley. Most of the effective defenses by Steph have been when he hedges on a drive. If he has to stick to Conley or Lee like glue to fight over screens, there's more room for the other guard/forward to drive to the basket or get a midrange open jumper.

No to both of those because when the screener is sufficiently bad at offense, the defense basically gets a free double team. Curry or whoever else doesn't have to try too hard to fight over the screen because TA's not a threat to do anything off the roll (so Bogut is just all-out hedging to prevent the screen-ee from driving) and no matter how tough he is, he doesn't set screens as well as a 6'10 250+ pounder.

Last edited by nol : 05-13-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #249
Arles
Grey Dog Software

But there is no double team since Bogut is sagging into the paint to help. The best course would be for Curry or Klay to try and fight over the screen to stay with either Lee/Conley. But, if they get caught in the screen, there is no help for the open jumper as Bogut is down with one foot in the paint.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #250
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
But there is no double team since Bogut is sagging into the paint to help. The best course would be for Curry or Klay to try and fight over the screen to stay with either Lee/Conley. But, if they get caught in the screen, there is no help for the open jumper as Bogut is down with one foot in the paint.

Correct, that is the fault with not guarding Tony Allen and with what nol said. If there is no one guarding Tony Allen, there is no free double team because there is only one defender there (the player attempting to fight off Allen's screen).