Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #1701
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/20/us/lo...ead/index.html

I just have so many questions. This has to be some sort of suicide by having someone else killing you. I can't imagine someone deciding that they were going to attempt to rob the local gun shop and still make it out alive.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:05 PM   #1702
kingfc22
Head Coach

After taking much of 2020 off, glad to see America pick right back up where it left off. Atlanta, now Boulder.

With schools opening back up, it can’t be that much longer until we have our first school shooting of 2021.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #1703
kingfc22
Head Coach

Also no surprise to see the white guy who committed this act getting to stroll out in handcuffs still alive.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #1704
RainMaker
General Manager

Sure he was just having a bad day.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #1705
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

It's kind of amazing in that clip that a guy is talking about the shooting as it is ongoing with dead in the street and in the store. He's just talking to the one worker nonchalantly as they mill about in the entrance with a dead person about 20 feet away and peering in and then you hear gunfire.

Just another day in America.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #1706
Jas_lov
College Starter

At least 6 dead including one police officer.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #1707
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

No one could have forseen this, says the only nation where this regularly happens...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #1708
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Gonna guess everyone in the building was a trump voter...
Old 03-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #1709
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Also no surprise to see the white guy who committed this act getting to stroll out in handcuffs still alive.

huh? I thought the employees killed him?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:33 PM   #1710
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

That was the gun store, I think he is talking about the supermarket. Pretty bad when we can't keep our mass shootings straight, Murica!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #1711
pantera
n00b

Quote:
No one could have forseen this, says the only nation where this regularly happens...
"He was our neighbor and always said hello. Seemed like a nice guy. He mostly kept to himself and his 8 automatic weapons."

Senator Generic Oldwhiteguy stated "My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims' families. But surely they understand that I can't take a chance on trying to solve this problem with common sense legislation that might anger the many morally destitute that contribute to my campaign & vote for me."
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:00 PM   #1712
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 03-22-2021, 11:01 PM   #1713
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I now realize that I am mixing up my mass shootings. This is how I know I am in america.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:02 PM   #1714
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That was the gun store, I think he is talking about the supermarket. Pretty bad when we can't keep our mass shootings straight, Murica!!

ARGH! JINX! Buy me a coke!
Old 03-23-2021, 05:44 AM   #1715
pantera
n00b

Charlotte Clymer
@cmclymer
  • On March 15th, 2019, a white supremacist killed 51 people in Christchurch, New Zealand.
  • On 3/21/19, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern proposed a ban on semi-automatic weapons.
  • On 4/10/19, that law passed.

Since that day, there have been 1,145 mass shootings in the United States.

Last edited by pantera : 03-23-2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #1716
bob
College Starter

I haven't really paid attention to proposed new gun laws when these events have happened in the past as 1) I'm not a gun person so they don't impact me and 2) they never seem likely to pass. That being said, can someone give a quick run down of what changes are likely to make the most impact?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:58 AM   #1717
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I kinda joked with someone about 6 months ago that we'll know the country is starting to emerge from Covid when the shootings pick up. And sure enough...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #1718
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I haven't really paid attention to proposed new gun laws when these events have happened in the past as 1) I'm not a gun person so they don't impact me and 2) they never seem likely to pass. That being said, can someone give a quick run down of what changes are likely to make the most impact?

I think the effectiveness of proposed solutions is part of the debate.

I'm not personally aware of any studies that shows the impact of any given solution. Is that CDC ban still in place? Even if it is you'd think Bloomberg could fund a study or two.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #1719
JPhillips
General Manager

We can't do anything about assault rifles because someday I may want to overthrow the government.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #1720
RainMaker
General Manager

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #1721
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Islamic terror. Watch Fox News suddenly become interested and CNN and FOFC cry about losing their white supremacy angle..
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #1722
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think the effectiveness of proposed solutions is part of the debate.

I'm not personally aware of any studies that shows the impact of any given solution. Is that CDC ban still in place? Even if it is you'd think Bloomberg could fund a study or two.

My personal opinion is that we shouldn't be primarily focusing on short-term solutions with the end game being that whatever restrictions are put in place will stop mass shootings - because they won't. Rather, while we definitely need some reasonable restrictions in place immediately, we should largely be focusing on longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time. Maybe we're too far gone for it to work, and I don't know exactly what it would look like, but I'm thinking of the gun control equivalent to what we did to make smoking less appealing. I don't think there's an overnight fix regardless of how many people might be in favor of major restrictions.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #1723
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Sounds like Islamic terror. Watch Fox News suddenly become interested and CNN and FOFC cry about losing their white supremacy angle..
His (extremely Muslim sounding) name and (extremely Middle Eastern looking) face dominate the front page of Fox News's web site right now. No mention that the victims were identified.

As far as I can tell, to find out his name on MSNBC's web site, you'd have to watch the video they have up of the press conference. No article that I can easily find mentions it.

This is neither Fox's nor MSNBC's fault. It's the fault of every weak-minded person in America, conservative or liberal, who only wants to be fed their preferred narrative. The networks are giving the people what they want.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-23-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #1724
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
. It's the fault of every weak-minded person in America, conservative or liberal, who only wants to be fed their preferred narrative. The networks are giving the people what they want.

Could not have said it better. Way too many Americans are incapable of formulating their own thoughts and/or expanding their views beyond their narrow political views. It is truly sad that so many are so weak in that regards.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #1725
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's a bit of a silly charge against MSNBC. Just about EVERYTHING on their site is video. If you go to NBCNews.com the main article has the shooters name on it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #1726
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's a bit of a silly charge against MSNBC. Just about EVERYTHING on their site is video. If you go to NBCNews.com the main article has the shooters name on it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Heh. I had no idea they had two sites. *shurg* (And yes, I was irritated at the lack of readable content there.)

Also, it's notable that they've chosen their photos of him carefully. The NBC picture of the murderer is far more benign-looking than the Fox one. There is *zero* chance that's not by design in both cases.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #1727
Ben E Lou

https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...2.fit-360w.jpg

https://a57.foxnews.com/hp.foxnews.c....jpg?tl=1&ve=1
Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #1728
kingfc22
Head Coach

Great. Let's take this opportunity to enact gun laws to keep them out of the hands of terrorists.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #1729
BYU 14
Coordinator

So Hannity and Bongino managed to somehow pivot this into a rant against BLM and the "defund" the police crowd on his show last night.

And again, I hate that phrasing, defund P:olice is the last thing we need right now. They need reform, training and resources and that does not come with taking funds from them.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #1730
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My personal opinion is that we shouldn't be primarily focusing on short-term solutions with the end game being that whatever restrictions are put in place will stop mass shootings - because they won't. Rather, while we definitely need some reasonable restrictions in place immediately, we should largely be focusing on longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time. Maybe we're too far gone for it to work, and I don't know exactly what it would look like, but I'm thinking of the gun control equivalent to what we did to make smoking less appealing. I don't think there's an overnight fix regardless of how many people might be in favor of major restrictions.
Very well said.

Unfortunately "some reasonable restrictions in place immediately" are a no-go, translated by hardliners to mean that goon squads will soon be entering every home in America confiscating every single firearm.

Thus, "longer-term solutions to lessen the gun culture over time" will be that much harder to implement, when we can't even take the first step.

I'm not a gun owner, but I have no problem with people having a pistol in their home for self-protection, or hunting rifles and shotguns. But can we please have longer waiting periods, more restrictive licensing rules, a ban on open carry, and a ban on weapons that can discharge dozens of rounds in mere seconds? Is that too much to ask? How many more thousands have to die?
Old 03-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #1731
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Heh. I had no idea they had two sites. *shurg* (And yes, I was irritated at the lack of readable content there.)

Also, it's notable that they've chosen their photos of him carefully. The NBC picture of the murderer is far more benign-looking than the Fox one. There is *zero* chance that's not by design in both cases.

I mean...you did know that NBC had a news division before MSNBC was a thing, right?
Old 03-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #1732
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/23/polit...ado/index.html

Don't worry, the Supreme Court appears poised to strike down what little regulation exists so even if Congress gets it done, it may not matter.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:04 AM   #1733
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/23/polit...ado/index.html

Don't worry, the Supreme Court appears poised to strike down what little regulation exists so even if Congress gets it done, it may not matter.

SI
But all this is always a windfall for the gun and ammo manufacturers. Sales are going to continue to sky rocket on the threat that something may happen. I wonder how many stimulus payments are going straight to buying AR-15's? My guess it is pretty high.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #1734
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, another "event" in Indiana today. 8 dead, maybe more. I wonder if this will attract any of our national attention. Probably needs a serious angle... a shooter with a hyphen in his name, or something like that, to be newsworthy. I mean, dead Americans at our own hand, that's hardly even news.

Looking for the right place to post this, I did a forum search on thread with "shooting" in the title. That was pretty depressing...

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #1735
JPhillips
General Manager

You've got about 24-36 hours of outrage for any particular killing in the US before it's time to move on to the next 24-36 hour outrage about a killing in the US.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #1736
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, another "event" in Indiana today. 8 dead, maybe more. I wonder if this will attract any of our national attention. Probably needs a serious angle... a shooter with a hyphen in his name, or something like that, to be newsworthy. I mean, dead Americans at our own hand, that's hardly even news.

Well, if it slows down too many packages, maybe.

(but probably not)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #1737
pantera
n00b

This killing wouldn't have happened if everyone at FedEx had an AR-15. Or a bazooka. Or a tank.

Think of how much safer our world would be if we could all buy tanks.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #1738
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Looking for the right place to post this, I did a forum search on thread with "shooting" in the title. That was pretty depressing...

I have come to the conclusion that as a country, as individual states and at the local level, we have decided that these mass shootings are not a problem. I could be swayed by arguments that some believe that the shootings are a problem but that any attempts to solve the problem are going to be more damaging to our lives that the shootings themselves.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #1739
pantera
n00b

The only way we are ever getting meaningful gun control in this country is if Republicans in government get assassinated one after another in a relatively short span of time. Or their spouses/children get shot. After about the 5th one, you'd finally see senators and congresspeople getting serious about gun control. (not advocating for this to happen, obviously)

Until it hits them personally, they'll keep turning a blind eye to all the death as long as gun lobbyists fill their pockets with cash. It's disgusting.

Money > lives of unrelated humans
Old 04-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #1740
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:

We had at least 4000 die daily for weeks and half the country wouldnt even believe a virus was real... and that virus isn't mildly protected by a 250 year old poorly worded run-on sentence.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #1741
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
The only way we are ever getting meaningful gun control in this country is if Republicans in government get assassinated one after another in a relatively short span of time. Or their spouses/children get shot. After about the 5th one, you'd finally see senators and congresspeople getting serious about gun control. (not advocating for this to happen, obviously)

Until it hits them personally, they'll keep turning a blind eye to all the death as long as gun lobbyists fill their pockets with cash. It's disgusting.

Money > lives of unrelated humans

Even when it did happen to one of them at that congressional softball game they barely blinked. It is baffling how so many see common sense as an infringement of liberty.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #1742
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Even when it did happen to one of them at that congressional softball game they barely blinked. It is baffling how so many see common sense as an infringement of liberty.

Not everyone wants to see new laws made every time someone breaks a law.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #1743
cuervo72
Head Coach

If existing laws are failing to be either preventative or punitive, kinda failing, no?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #1744
pantera
n00b

Quote:
That exact situation is why I said at least 5 of them. When it happened to just one of them, they could rationalize "oh it will never happen to me".

As awful as it sounds, if they instead started to think that there is a 5-10% chance that they or their family might get targeted, you'd magically starting seeing some gun laws change.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #1745
JPhillips
General Manager

When we responded to a massacre of 1st grade children with more permissive gun laws it was pretty clear that nothing would ever be enough to change the obsession with guns.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #1746
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Another One...

Indianapolis Fedex

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-16-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #1747
pantera
n00b

CNN today:

"There is no debate that we have an epidemic of mass violence committed with guns in this country. There is scads of data that make that point. Here's one: Of all homicides in America in 2019, 73% of them were gun-related, according to data from the FBI. That compares to an estimated 39% in Canada, 22% in Australia and just 4% in England and Wales. Here's another: The US averages 120.5 firearms per 100 residents, more than double the next country (Yemen, at 52.8 firearms per 100 people). And there were nearly 23 million firearms purchased in the US in 2020, a new record high."
Old 04-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #1748
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Not everyone wants to see new laws made every time someone breaks a law.

just curious what a reasonable threshold is for making a new law in relation to the number of times the same thing happens?
Old 04-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #1749
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Texas House gives initial approval to "constitutional carry" | The Texas Tribune

Don't worry, in Texas we're making it so that you don't need to actually get a license to carry a gun. You can't vote or anything crazy like that. But you can get a gun without any checks or training or even a license.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #1750
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Well, if it slows down too many packages, maybe.

(but probably not)

I just had this conversation with my brother-in-law, realizing that even as they're trying to get this sorted out in the immediate aftermath, there's some poor employee at FedEx whose first responsibility in the middle of the tragedy is figuring out how to route the packages now that the Indy hub is out of commission for a few hours, because some guy in Omaha is depending on an overnight shipment of insulin.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote