Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #151
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Just got home from work and now downloading.
AnalBumCover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #152
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This may well be unplayable, but those who are interested in such things:

That's 10 thousand stars, or 10 huge galaxies rolled into one. 50k was too many. You have to increase star density to get much above 3k. Only took a few minutes to generate.

This is going to be insane in a few months once the modders figure out the max. of what's possible in various aspects here. .
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #153
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

My god it's full of stars!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #154
whomario
Pro Starter

Looking forward to spending Christmas break with this. Until then, i´ll be eagerly living this through you lot
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #155
Thomkal
Head Coach

Brian if you play in that universe, I suspect we will never see you again. Come back to us!
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #156
sabotai
General Manager

That's beautiful, man.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #157
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
So right now I'm having fun with galaxy generation. Paradox was a bit coy with how big the random galaxies can go. Answer: pretty darn big. I started by doubling the huge size just to be silly, double all the empires and everything too. No problem. I doubled it again. Took a lot longer to generate but the game didn't complain. At an obscene 4k stars, I'm going to see how far I can go. Anything above about 1500(even with a reduced or eliminated galaxy core) is going to have a potential gameplay issue of increased star density since the galaxy can only go about 10% 'wider' and 'taller' than the default huge, but it appears there will be a rather insane upper limit on how big they can be.

Let's see how much I can abuse this ...

I think these large galaxies are going to be a problem in the late game when they are all colonized, etc.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #158
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Heck, just customizing your race is quite fun with all the options!

With the Blues game, I only just started a medium size galaxy game.. but the UI is the BEST in any 4x game I've played.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #159
Thomkal
Head Coach

I don't know how to edit the title of the thread, but if I say ALRIGHT BOYZ! will Abe post in the thread now?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #160
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Stellaris: The Kotaku Review
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #161
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

edit the first post, you can change title there.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #162
Groundhog
Coordinator

That review seems to have confirmed some of the fears I had with this game. I love CK II, but really don't enjoy the pace of 4X games. I think (as usual) I'll await a few patches and maybe an expansion or two before taking the plunge.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #163
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The game is fantastic. As many have said, the UI is incredible. I've only dabbled a bit to get used to the systems, but the balance between exploration, research, development...I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #164
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fun Game. I dont care much for a battles/war in games. I like the expansion/research/exploration part. I might just pick the 1000 stars with very minimal AI
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #165
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I might be on the same wavelength. The war and combat is pretty weak but the game is beautifully done and just exploring and finding planets and other features is fun.

In my first game so far I went with a medium galaxy and got boxed in a corner by warlike empires, think I'll probably up the map and slightly lower the number of AI empires next time through like you are suggesting
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #166
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The combat is not the best (to be improved in the future I think) but being able to destroy enemy aliens and then use your science ships to research their technology is really cool.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #167
spleen1015
Coordinator

Loving it a lot so far.

My only issue.... I have 2 planets named Achernar pretty much right next to each other.

My first experience with combat... some of my citizen revolted and turned into pirates and decided to attack one of my mining stations. Managed to save the mining station but lost 4 ships to those little bastards.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #168
spleen1015
Coordinator

One suggestion.... turn on Details Mapmode. It is a checkbox down on the bottom right side.

It gives you more information on the galaxy map.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #169
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I actually like the combat part. Maybe I'm just not seeing what other people don't like so far. Haven't had enough experience with the war system to have an opinion on that.

Here's what my test game to try things out looks like nine years in:

The red is an empire that appears to be one of the 'advanced AI' starts. They snagged Alpha Centauri, which has the closest colonizable world, with a frontier outpost before I could get to it. The green on the right, who I'll probably end up allying with against the other one, got the next-closest one(Goffia and Yillion systems). I'm trying to get a frontier outpost up in the space between them, where I had to take out a couple groups of mining drones to even be in business. AI is clearly better than in the early stream builds, and I'm rather enjoying the fact that -- partly due to a crappy starting spot -- they are pushing me around quite a bit here at the start.

Haven't seen anything yet to convince me that I'm not going to be binge-playing this for a very long time.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-10-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #170
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Anyone know why I am seeing all kinds of auto-designed ships even with the auto button turned off? I also see duplicate ship designs with the name of my leader on them - not sure what that's all about.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #171
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Anyone know why I am seeing all kinds of auto-designed ships even with the auto button turned off?

I don't think I quite understand the second part, but with this one, did you delete the old ones?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #172
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

*snicker*. The most powerful empire I've yet uncovered and I are both surveying the same system. Their ship is named the RRS Imprudent Plumage. Probably don't need to mention the phenotype ...
Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #173
Thomkal
Head Coach

anyone know what's up with merging fleets? want to merge newly built ships into my fleet, but option is not available? also had a nice anomaly find of a alien shipyard, and not sure how to merge the new ships with my fleet.

also had my first dealings with combat thanks to pirates. defeated the initial ships, but then found their base which was another matter altogether good thing I found that shipyard.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #174
spleen1015
Coordinator

You can shift click the fleets you want to merge. Once selected, there is a button on the top left corner of the panel.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-10-2016 at 11:08 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #175
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not home, I thought you just clicked on the ship you wanted to merge and then right clicked on fleet and picked merge?

Found this with a quick search: Select both fleets and click a button on the upper left corner to merge them
Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #176
bhlloy
Coordinator

I guess the combat isn't any worse than any other Paradox game - build lots of troops, send them at the enemy and see what happens. Probably just takes some getting used to, although there's very little information presented and a lot going on.

The diplomacy/alliance stuff seems pointless with a capital P though. In my first game I'm a pacifist/individualist in a corner of the galaxy blocked in by 3 militaristic empires, who are constantly at war/rivalry with each other. Even though I'm nominally pacifist, I have a fleet equal to two of them and inferior to the other one - I should be an absolutely natural alliance to any of them if they would consider it as I'd completely tip the balance of power between them. If I want to propose an alliance they should be biting my hand off to take it - instead because of permanent negative modifiers they are all between -50 and -70 and won't consider it despite my relations being decent - so what's the point? If I want to continue the game the diplomacy screen is basically completely useless based on some of the traits I picked and the empires around me, which is a huge part of a 4x game. That's just pretty bad design, and disappointing given that the diplomacy is a massive part of EUIV and CK2. Hopefully they can build on it, but right now it seems like by far the weakest part of the game.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #177
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm not home, I thought you just clicked on the ship you wanted to merge and then right clicked on fleet and picked merge?

Found this with a quick search: Select both fleets and click a button on the upper left corner to merge them

Yeah I can confirm this works. If they are in different locations one has to get to the other, so if you have them at other ends of the galaxy maybe you just haven't given it enough time?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #178
frnk55
High School Varsity

This game looks cool but my tiny brain won't understand it. I'll stick with Civ which I barely understand.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #179
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Is combat more like an RTS where you have to give commands in real-time to your units and win that way, or turn-based like Civ where you've got time to think about it?

Sorry if this is a question with an obvious answer.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #180
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Neither actually. Combat is like other Paradox games like CK2 and HOI3. You send your fleet or army and the battle is resolved based on the abilities of your units. There is no 'tactical control' of combat. You can see what's going on in the space battles -- ground combat you don't get a lot of info on that to bhlloy's point. It's mostly a matter of bombarding the planet until the fortifications are down(during which time they may send reinforcements), and then on the ground it's about numbers mostly unless your troops are a lot better equipped. IMO the space combat is where it's at in this game, which I don't have a problem with but the ground combat is definitely limited.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-10-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #181
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I haven't seen the ground combat yet, but the space combat is exactly what Brian is saying: watch it happen. The game simplifies things tremendously by giving each fleet (regardless of # of ships) a single number to represent their power. There's much more going on than just that number, but it's a pretty good indicator of what's happening. I don't have enough experience to definitively state what's going on, but based upon the reviews I've read, there are a few things to consider:
  • 1 ship at 200 power is stronger than 5 ships that combine for 200 power. The one ship will stay at 200 power throughout the course of the fight, while the 5 ships will lose power with each ship that is destroyed during the fight.
  • The makeup of your ships is important - the rock-paper-scissors -ish system of Missiles / Particle Weapons / Lasers combined with the distinction of armor vs. shields will have an impact on the way the battle happens, so 100 power vs 100 power doesn't necessarily mean that the combatants are dead even.
  • Speaking of ship makeup - do not forget to implement new technology before building your fleet. I was pumped to send my Corvettes out to clear a nearby star system for exploration after developing some armor and better lasers. When they flew into battle and kept firing the old lasers and getting roughed up, I realized I was building the old model Corvettes that had the default pieces on them.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #182
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
This game looks cool but my tiny brain won't understand it. I'll stick with Civ which I barely understand.

They do a pretty good job of spoon feeding new things, especially with the advisor turned on full blast. It ends up being a lot of things to juggle, but nothing is difficult to understand.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #183
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Trola

One thing that seems annoying about combat - once you designate a target, your ships will lock on to that target until it - or they - is/are dead. I went in to take out an orbital mining station, and some robots from across the system came in mid-combat. My guys were roughed up so much before finishing off the station that they barely defeated the robots.

Has anyone else had this problem, or am I missing a command?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #184
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
[*]Speaking of ship makeup - do not forget to implement new technology before building your fleet. I was pumped to send my Corvettes out to clear a nearby star system for exploration after developing some armor and better lasers. When they flew into battle and kept firing the old lasers and getting roughed up, I realized I was building the old model Corvettes that had the default pieces on them.[/list]

I have the checkbox checked to automatically update my ship designs when a discover a new tech.

Quote:
Trola

One thing that seems annoying about combat - once you designate a target, your ships will lock on to that target until it - or they - is/are dead. I went in to take out an orbital mining station, and some robots from across the system came in mid-combat. My guys were roughed up so much before finishing off the station that they barely defeated the robots.

Has anyone else had this problem, or am I missing a command?

I was reading a reddit post where folks were criticizing a YouTuber. One of the complaints he had was that enemy ships would focus down his ships while his ships would attack at random. They were criticizing him because they said you could make them focus fire down enemy ships. Damn if I've been able to figure out how to do it.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #185
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've only been able to focus-fire enemy fleets. If there are more than one fleet involved, my guys will focus on one at a time, as long as I give the order before battle commences, to attack one ship.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #186
Thomkal
Head Coach

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ords.927411%2F

edit: One day sales record for Stellaris.

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-10-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #187
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
[*]Speaking of ship makeup - do not forget to implement new technology before building your fleet. I was pumped to send my Corvettes out to clear a nearby star system for exploration after developing some armor and better lasers. When they flew into battle and kept firing the old lasers and getting roughed up, I realized I was building the old model Corvettes that had the default pieces on them.[/list]

Also keep in mind you can just take your old design that you are using and update it with new components, and save/overwrite it. Then you just click the upgrade button on your fleet and they will go to the nearest spaceport and start updating.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #188
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

See, so many things that I had no idea you could do.

I've found so far that I get way too involved in my exploration and research, and simply forget to spend my resources to improve my colonies/spaceports.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #189
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There are definitely some bugs to work out -- not that I'm all that surprised. A couple I've found:

** Civilian border access treaty expired ... and I still have access permanently.

Other one's a minor spoiler possibly and I don't know how the tags for that work on this forum. Suffice to say -- stick to the regular colony ships. If you know what I'm talking about, great -- if not, I won't ruin it.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #190
spleen1015
Coordinator

What do you guys think about Sectors? Anyone used them a lot?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #191
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Suffice to say -- stick to the regular colony ships.

Update on this: discovered the cause I think. Basically, don't delete your colony ship design without replacing it. If you do, you can still build them -- you just don't get anything after you've spent the time and minerals.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-10-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #192
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I don't know how to edit the title of the thread, but if I say ALRIGHT BOYZ! will Abe post in the thread now?

I suppose so

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #193
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Loving it a lot so far.

My only issue.... I have 2 planets named Achernar pretty much right next to each other.

I think that;s actually pretty realistic. How many cities in America have the same name? How many counties? I totally think real life space exploration and settlement would be the same.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #194
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What do you guys think about Sectors? Anyone used them a lot?

I just started using them. I've seen conflicting things about them as far as bugginess. But I don't know, I mean, I have to use them, right? I hit my five planet limit, added a 6th because I needed influence so I could remove an outpost, and then went to war and acquired 2 planets. So, if I didn't use sectors I would be sitting at 8/5 on planets and the penalties would be too big, right?

I just started usign them, though, and I haven't noticed anything too bad. I have been having to build and update teh spaceports still, and just glanced at the one that I first created and it's at least building buildings on the spaces. When I go back in I will see what they are actually building to make sure it isn't completely stupid.

But, yea, I mean they are necessary right?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #195
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You need to give sectors a boost at first because they're probably in energy/material debt.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #196
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have the checkbox checked to automatically update my ship designs when a discover a new tech.

I don't have the game open, where is this option? Will your older fleets still have the option to update at the closest base when this is enabled?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #197
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I don't have the game open, where is this option? Will your older fleets still have the option to update at the closest base when this is enabled?

I thought it was right there on the bottom left of the screen when you open the ship design panel. It does work with the auto-update button on fleets.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #198
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. I don't use it because I like to make sure my designs are the best I can, or at least want to make them, but that's where it is. Pretty prominent checkbox, yet easy to miss.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #199
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you both! I'm not keen on ship building.. however I might dabble in it a bit once I play more.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #200
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well there goes my Alzar dynasty