Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My 10th season as a Football Manager (4th at Manchester United)

Greetings to everyone reading this. This is the electronic journal of Christopher Engles.

I'm a 38 year old manager who is considered something of a young phenom. I started out my first season of managing professional football at Harrogate Town in the English Conference North back when I was 29. During my first season, I didn't know if I was going to make it through to a second. We had some rocky games in that first season. Fortunately, I showed enough improvement in the 2nd half of the season, that they gave me a chance to come back for another season. You can read about my first season as manager in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=32963

In my second season as manager, I really developed a system and brought in some good talent. Thanks to their play, I managed to help Harrogate win promotion from the English Conference North. You can read about that season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=33340

In my third season, we continued to gather talent and we continued to win. We won the English Conference National Title and were promoted to League Two. You can read about that season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=33908

In my fourth season, after some early struggles, the team adapted to League Two play and we went on a tear in the second half of the season. Thanks to our hot play, we won the English League Two Title and were promoted to League One. You can read about that season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=34430

In my fifth season, I had to make a very hard decision. The team was struggling in League One as the board had continued to refuse to expand the stadium over the years. We were losing money. We didn't have the money to keep our top players. We were floundering. My status was very high and I was being offered several high profile jobs because of what I had done with Harrogate. I made the hard decision to leave Harrogate in midseason and I moved to Wigan. I suddenly had massive amounts of money. I sent some of it to Harrogate Town for a few of my favorite players. You can read about my fifth season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=35300

In my sixth season, I managed to bring in some potent talent to Wigan via Bosman signings. Thanks to that talent, we won the English Championship with a 99 point season in which we had 30 wins, 9 draws, and 7 losses. I was glad to see that my new system worked nicely at this higher talent level. You can read about my sixth season in this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=36645

Then, in my seventh season, I knew that Wigan would have a hard time staying in the EPL and I also knew that Manchester United had a coaching vacancy. It took well over a month, but just before league play started Manchester United approached me and offered me the manager's job. I felt bad leaving Wigan after only a year and a half, but this was the golden ring I had been trying to reach. I quickly took the job. I had moderate to good success in my seventh season as I brought in a few very talented players, including wonderkids Adriano and Craig King. We also brought in the very talented Stewart Downing at left wing. As a result, we improved from the previous finish of 5th place to a 2nd place team. You can read about the seventh season here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=36968

In my eighth season, we enjoyed great success. We had an early battle with Chelsea for the EPL lead. Eventually, our offense really started popping. Wayne Rooney had his best season ever as a Red Devil. Our defense came together. We won the EPL Title. We also won the English Cup Title. However, we fell short of the quadruple and lost in the final of the Champions League and the English FA Cup. Those were both disappointing losses. A developing story all year long was Wayne Rooney's dissatisfaction that I would not let him go to Milan or another "more prestigious club" that made huge offers for him. You can read about the eighth season here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/...ead.php?t=37396

In my ninth season, the big question going in was if I would be able to sign Wayne Rooney or if I would have to sell him. Fortunately, just before I was about to sell him, I managed to sign Rooney to a new deal. Behind the dynamic duo of Wayne Rooney and Adriano at striker, along with a solid defense we finished 1st in the EPL for a second straight year. Perhaps, more importantly, we won the Champions League for my first time as a manager.

Read all about the 9th season here:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=37735

Now, I start my 10th season. I'm managing England while planning on how to keep Manchester United at the top of their game. We are starting to age significantly in the defensive line. We will slowly be phasing Lucio and Rio Ferdinand out soon. Will Gabriele Marchetti, Salva, and Matias Cahais step up? Also, where should I bolster the team. Will Mikael Schmidt thrive in his first year as a regular starter at left back. Is Alfonso ready to step up and be a regular contributor behind Downing? There are plenty of questions. Perhaps, the biggest question is where should I spend the cash this year to bolster the squad.

I hope you enjoy following along as I try to answer some of these questions in my 10th year of my football managerial career.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-10-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 4, 2013 -

Wow! According to news reports, Inter have made an offer of 110 million dollars for Chelsea's Freddy Adu!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 4, 2013 -

I forgot to mention that I had made an offer of 59 million for him last night. Somehow, I suspect my offer will be passed over
Old 05-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

Run out of sequel titles?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 7, 2013 -

Chelsea rejected my 59 million dollar offer for Freddy Adu. Chelsea has signed Adu to a new 3 year deal worth 27 million dollars.

Club Atletico de Madrid has sacked Rada Benitez. Victor Fernandez is rumored to be the favorite to take over the job.

Later today, we have our first friendly, but I need to decide who to pursue now.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Run out of sequel titles?

I thought of a few possiblities, but the 10th season seemed significant enough to feature in the title.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 7, 2013 -

After looking through a variety of possibilities to bolster our striker core, I find too many flaws in the younger players that I'm looking for. Therefore, I decide to make a play for Luke Moore who is Aston Villa's star striker. I doubt they will sell him to me, but I offer 52 million dollars (he is valued at 43 million.) My only downside to him is that he is already 27. Otherwise, he looks like he has everything I look for to be a dominant striker, and I think I would get at least 3 good years out of him.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-10-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 7, 2013 -

Today we travel to play Hapoel Ashkelon in Israel in a friendly match. My goal is simply to get guys into shape. As a result, I'm going to rest the guys who played the most in international play and use some guys out of position possibly to see how they do in some unique spots.

It's sunny with temperatures in the low 80's.

GK: Taylor (time to give him more PT)
DL: Schmidt
DC: Marchetti
DC: Salva
DR: Grygera
ML: McFadden (interested to see if he can play here well too.)
MC: Fletcher
MC: Godoy
MR: Schreurs
SC: Smith
SC: Marino (my other strikers are needing rest from international play and don't need PT)

S1: Howard
S2: Cahais
S3: Alfonso
S4: Cook
S5: O'Shea
S6: Duff
s7: Mamam
S8: Lucio
S9: Ortega
S10: Djemba
S11: King
S12: Parker
Old 05-10-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Godoy with a great pass to Smith in the box.. the defense blocks his shot.

9 minute mark: McFadden with a corner.. to Salva in the middle of the box.. he heads it.. upper left corner.. the keeper blocks it.

11 minute mark: Fletcher passes to Smith in the box.. he shoots.. over the bar.

11 minute mark: McFadden is tripped just outside the box.. he takes the free kick from just outside the box.. shoots.. strong curving shot.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

17 minute mark: Salva passes to McFadden on the left wing.. he burns a man.. crosses to Fletcher in the box.. Fletcher shoots.. lower left corner.. GOAL!!! 2-0.

19 minute mark: Salva with a long pass to McFadden just outside the box.. he heads it to Smith in the middle of the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner... GOAL!!!! 3-0.

36 minute mark: McFadden burns his man down the left sideline.. he crosses.. Marino heads it.. over the bar.

41 minute mark: McFadden throws it into Fletcher.. he heads it back to McFadden.. McFadden crosses it.. far post.. Schreurs with a diving header.. upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 4-0!

Halftime: 4-0 lead for us. I'm going to bring on some of the subs.

47 minue mark: Alfonso burns three men down the left sideline.. toys with them.. fires a crossing pass.. Marino heads it.. into the upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 5-0!

Game over. 5-0 win. We dominated possession, and our guys played with passion. Excellent.

We outshot them 21-1 (11-0 on target) I wish Taylor would have been challenged at least a few times. At least the defense played well.

McFadden won MoM, 10 for form, 18 of 18 passes, 1 of 2 tackles, 4 of 5 headers, 8 runs, 3 fouls drawn, 3 assists, and 1 goal. Granted, this was a weaker team, but I'm shocked at how well McFadden played left wing.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 10, 2013 -

Aston Villa have rejected my offer for Luke Moore.

I've now made an offer for Tottenham's Phillipe Durand who has told the press that he wants to move to a larger club. This 21 year old French Attacking Midfielder is quite talented, and I think he could make the transition to striker. He is currently valued at 24 million dollars, but has a 13.5 million dollar release clause. I offer 13.5 million, triggering his release clause. There are over 2 dozen other clubs interested (including the big buys such as Real Madrid, Inter, and Milan.)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:59 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 12, 2013 -

Today we travel to play Maccabi Tel-Aviv in Israel. They should be a tougher opponent than our last match. Again, I'm looking to get guys in shape who might contribute.

GK: Howard
DC: Chivu
ML: Downing
MC: Parker
SC: McFadden
SC: King

S1: Taylor
S2: Cahais
S3: Cook
S4: Smith
S5: Marchetti
S7: Stevanovic
S8: Lucio
S9: Ferdinand
S10: Ortega
S11: O'Shea
S12: Godoy
Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

6 minute mark: Schreurs crosses to Parker by the far post.. he heads it.. good save by the keeper.

13 minute mark: Howard picked up a minor injury, but I decide to sub Taylor on for him.

20 minute mark: Schmidt throws it into the box to King who heads it to Schreurs in the middle of the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0!

35 minute mark: Downing dribbles down the left sideline.. crosses to far post.. King heads it.. the keeper blocks it.

36 minute mark: Taylor with a solid save.

38 minute mark: Fletcher passes to McFadden in the box.. he fakes out the keeper.. McFadden shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-0.

42 minute mark: Sulami passes it to Leibovich in the box.. he heads it.. into the upper left corner.. past Taylor. GOAL. 2-1.

Halftime: 2-1 lead for us.

46 minute mark: McFadden is tripped outside the box.. Downing steps up.. shoots.. blistering shot.. upper right corner.. Downing with a goal!!!! 3-1.

52 minute mark: Mesika passes to Rahamim outside the box.. Itsik Rahamim shoots.. it deflects off Salva.. into the left side of the net. GOAL. 3-2.

61 minute mark: Taylor stops a long shot from Rahamim.

61 minute: I bring on the entire second team.

71 minute mark: Ortega passes to Duff outside the box.. Duff passes to Cook in the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner.. the keeper dives.. blocks it partially.. it rolls past him! GOAL!!!! 4-2.

74 minute mark: Taylor stops a shot from Rahamim.

Game over. 4-2 win for us.

We were outshot 13-10 (9-8 on target in our favor)

Schreurs wins MoM, 8 for form, 10 of 14 passes, 4 of 8 tackles, 1 of 4 headers, 6 runs, and 1 goal.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 12, 2013 -

Aston Villa have offered James O'Connor plus 4.4 million for Mickael Schmidt. It is an easy decision to turn them down.

Aston Villa has offered Paul Anderson, a young left back in exchange for Alfonso. This is also an easy deal to turn down.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 16, 2013 -

Jamie Cook has publicly told the media that he wants a better contract. He is currently only making 50,000/week, and his play is deserving of more. I don't like his negotiation tactic, but I will give him a new deal.

I offer him his requested, 80,000/week and 2.6 million signing bonus.

July 18, 2013 -

Jamie Cook has signed a new deal for 4 years worth 18 million dollars.

Philippe Durand rejected my contract offer! He stated that he wanted to be the star on the team and accepted a deal at Newcastle. Fool.

I now need to decide who to target next.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 18, 2013 -

After some consideration, I realize keeper is the area where I need help the most. Taylor has a major weakness that my coaches have noticed. He is horrible at rushing out and making good decisions about when to rush out. It is the fatal flaw in his otherwise solid keeping. After looking at keeper options, I have decided to approach Brescia with 18 million dollars for the Legendary Brazilian keeper, Diego. Diego has superb aerial ability, superb handling and reflexes. He is good at rushing out. My biggest concern is that he isn't great at One on Ones, but neither is Howard. Diego is 31, so he will only be a stop gap until we acquire a truly great young keeper. However, I think this will be money well spent, moreso than a second rate striker. Furthermore, I think a premier striker would be unhappy at being second fiddle to Rooney and Adriano.

Oh yeah, I did seriously look at Jesus, but he has horrible rushing out ability as well. I think that is Taylor's fatal flaw, so I don't want to bring in another keeper with that flaw.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 19, 2013 -

It has been announced that we will play Bordeaux in the European Super Cup on August 23, 2013.

Today we will play Hajduk in Croatia in our third friendly. This game, I will use my top team to make sure they get some practice together. I've got some interesting moves to see how they work together this game.

GK: Taylor (He is the only non-starter starting this game.)
DR: Brown
MC: Fletcher (likely will be replaced by Djemba in the future)
MC: Godoy (may be replaced by Cook in the future. Depends on early performance.)
SC: Rooney
SC: Adriano

S1: Howard
S2: Alfonso
S3: Parker
S5: Cahais
S6: Djemba
S7: Cook
S8: Ortega
S9: Mamam
S10: King
S11: Lucio
S12: McFadden
Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

5 minute mark: Fletcher gets a yellow card for a trip.

7 minute mark: Schmidt with a great long pass.. Fletcher heads it.. over the bar.

11 minute mark: Downing beats two defenders.. passs to Rooney in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. great save by the keeper.

18 minute mark: Downing dribbles into the box.. centers to Schreurs.. he fakes out a defender.. shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

22 minute mark: Downing with a corner.. to the far post.. Adriano heads it.. over the bar.

26 minute mark: Our midfielders pass it back and forther.. Godoy passes between two defenders.. to Adriano in the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-0!

33 minute mark: Taylor pushes a point blank shot over the bar.

43 minute mark: Downing shows good sportsmanship and puts the ball out due to an injured player on the opposition.

Halftime: 2-0 lead for us.

I wanted to put Djemba and Cook on to play with first team for the second half, but I have to pull Schreurs off since he picked up a minor injury. I slide Godoy out to right wing for the moment as well as putting Djemba and Cook on.

50 minute mark: Cook passes to Adriano in the box.. he draws two defenders.. passes back to Cook who shoots.. wide right.

63 minute mark: Schmidt starts the counter attack.. long pass to Adriano.. he fakes out the keeper.. shoots.. upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 3-0! Schmidt is an awesome all around defender. I anticipate plenty of plays like that this season.

64 minute mark: Ortega on for Godoy at right wing. King on for Adriano.

70 minute mark: Taylor stops a shot from 25 yards out.

71 minute mark: Rooney steals it at midfield.. plays a through ball into the box.. perfect pass.. King gets to it.. shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 4-0!

87 minute mark: Rooney dribbles into the left side of the box.. crosses to Ortega outside the box.. Ortega passes to Djemba.. he shoots.. good save by the keeper.

Game over. 4-0 win for us.

We outshot them 13-5 (8-2 on target)

Downing wins MoM, 10 for form, 12 of 13 passes, 4 of 5 tackles, 5 of 7 headers, 1 interception, 13 runs, 1 foul drawn, and 1 assist.

Schmidt, Rooney, and Adriano all had 9's for form.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Must be nice. I'm in season two with CC, challenging for the promotion/playoff spots in the Conference National, when the media and the board expected us to battle regulation, as well as defeating a L1 in the FA Cup to reach the third round of play.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #19
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
July 18, 2013 -

After some consideration, I realize keeper is the area where I need help the most. Taylor has a major weakness that my coaches have noticed. He is horrible at rushing out and making good decisions about when to rush out. It is the fatal flaw in his otherwise solid keeping. After looking at keeper options, I have decided to approach Brescia with 18 million dollars for the Legendary Brazilian keeper, Diego. Diego has superb aerial ability, superb handling and reflexes. He is good at rushing out. My biggest concern is that he isn't great at One on Ones, but neither is Howard. Diego is 31, so he will only be a stop gap until we acquire a truly great young keeper. However, I think this will be money well spent, moreso than a second rate striker. Furthermore, I think a premier striker would be unhappy at being second fiddle to Rooney and Adriano.

Oh yeah, I did seriously look at Jesus, but he has horrible rushing out ability as well. I think that is Taylor's fatal flaw, so I don't want to bring in another keeper with that flaw.

Iker Casillas for GK! He's saved quite a few goals for me. Thanks for pointing him out to me!

Try a premier striker paired with Adriano and use Rooney at AMC if you use that type of formation. Rooney's scored from the far third of the 3rd green patch (keeper line, box in the middle, 3rd green stripe). This is what i've found to work best for me since that keeps Adriano on the left where he seems to be a magical scorer.

Then again i seem to have midfield injuries out the yin-yang with steven downing going own for a month after Duff and Robben just got back.. Cole (LC) was injured earlier in the year...
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 21, 2013 -

Isn't this a kicker. For whatever reason, the board won't allow me to offer Diego more than 32,000 dollars/week. Diego's agent has told me that isn't even going to be close to what he demands. This is not surprising since, Diego makes over 90,000/week right now. My board just doesn't like some older players. They were willing to let me pay up to 240,000 on my recent extensions.

Oh well, I guess I'll be stuck with Taylor and Harper as my current backups. Harper is actually developing nicely and might take over the top backup spot.

I haven't been reporting on these last few games because I've been letting the AM handle it, but the England U19 team has just qualified for the semi-finals of the Euro U19 Championship. I decide the star striker and keeper from this team will be my two cheap, but potentially very good or even great future Manchester United players.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
Iker Casillas for GK! He's saved quite a few goals for me. Thanks for pointing him out to me!

Try a premier striker paired with Adriano and use Rooney at AMC if you use that type of formation. Rooney's scored from the far third of the 3rd green patch (keeper line, box in the middle, 3rd green stripe). This is what i've found to work best for me since that keeps Adriano on the left where he seems to be a magical scorer.

Then again i seem to have midfield injuries out the yin-yang with steven downing going own for a month after Duff and Robben just got back.. Cole (LC) was injured earlier in the year...

My Adriano might be different than the one you are using on the left. He is only 22 in 2013.

As far as Casillas, he is now too old to be a great pickup. Most of the good keepers are in their mid 30's, and I don't see many good regens yet. However, this English Keeper that I'm thinking about, might be good.

However, I have toyed with the idea of using Rooney at AMC.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My Adriano might be different than the one you are using on the left. He is only 22 in 2013.

As far as Casillas, he is now too old to be a great pickup. Most of the good keepers are in their mid 30's, and I don't see many good regens yet. However, this English Keeper that I'm thinking about, might be good.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Must be nice. I'm in season two with CC, challenging for the promotion/playoff spots in the Conference National, when the media and the board expected us to battle regulation, as well as defeating a L1 in the FA Cup to reach the third round of play.

I remember the good old days when I was in the lower leagues. It will make you appreciate it when you reach the upper tiers
Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 22, 2013 -

Today we play West Brom (English Championship team) in a friendly match. We are giving our starters rest this game to an extent, and will look at some of our other guys.

It's raining, windy, and temperatures are in the 70's today.

DC: O'Shea
DC: Cahais
MC: Parker
MR: Ortega
SC: McFadden
SC: Marino

S2: Godoy
S4: King
S5: Salva
S7: Djemba
S8: Marchetti
S9: Stevanovic
S10: Smith
S12: Alfonso

As I'm about to start the game, I see they are using an unique 3-3 (defensive midfielders)- 2 (midfielders) - 1 attacking midfielder - 1 striker. They will have 8 to 9 men back at all times it looks like.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

3 minute mark: Downing gets a yellow card. I'm going to pull him even earlier than planned.

26 minute mark: Howard stops a long range shot from Potter and starts the counter attack.. he passes to Marino... Marino passes to McFadden just outside the box.. McFadden dribbles into the box.. fakes out the keeper.. shoots... lower right corner.. wide right.

28 minute mark: Parker starts a counterattack.. passes long to McFadden.. he dribbles into the box.. alone with the keeper.. dribbles around the keeper.. shoots.. upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

35 minute mark: Howard with a solid save of a hard shot by Chopra.

38 minute mark: Parker gets a yellow card for pushing Chopra.

Halftime: 1-0 lead. I sub Alfonso on for Downing, and Cook on for Parker.

53 minute mark: Alfonso passes to Cook outside the box.. he blasts a powerful curling shot.. past the keeper.. it hits the crossbar and bounces back to the keeper who covers it.

65 minute mark: I put most of my second team on.

72 minute mark: Godoy passes to Duff (who I put on as a sub at striker!).. Duff dribbles two steps.. shoots.. upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-0!

90 minute mark: Long pass from Howard to Duff.... he passes to Smith 30 yards out.. Smith shoots from 30 yards out.. soft floating shot.. upper left corner.. the keeper is slow getting to it.. GOAL!!! 3-0.

Game over. 3-0 win for us.

We outshot them 12-5 (4-2 on target)

Duff wins MoM, 8 for form, 6 of 6 passes, 0 tackles, 2 of 3 headers, 1 run, 1 assist, and 1 goal.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 24, 2013 -

Arsenal has brought in 34 year old legendary keeper Roberto from Sporting.

Diego told me to forget about negotiating further, due to the insulting offer my board made me offer him.

Liverpool have paid 24 million dollars to sign Hatem Ben Arfa from Newcastle.

Tottenham have accepted my offer for the young striker, Kevin Young. I offer him the 11,000/week that he is requesting. Of note, my AM doesn't think he is worth signing. I hope Mr. Queiroz is wrong.

Leeds have rejected my offer for Mark Hunt, the 19 year old talented keeper. I decide to make a new offer of 4.4 million dollars.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 24, 2013 -

Today I'm coaching England's U19 team in the semi-final of the European U19 Championship. Today we play Italy. We will be playing Belgium in the final which beat France 2-1 earlier in the day.

It's sunny with temperatures in the 70's today.

GK: Mark Hunt (the keeper I'm pursuing)
DL: John Berry
DC: Robert Morris
DC: Jamie Adams
DR: Martin Gibbons
ML: Danny Pritchard
MC: Paul Simpson
MC: Kevin Alexander
MR: Andrew Gray
SC: James Gordon
SC: John Mills

S1: Steve Burke
S2: Stephen Turner
S3: David Pearson
S4: Tony Vaughan
S5: Ryan Roberts
S6: Paul Hogg
S7: James Carter
Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

12 minute mark: Hunt stops a close range shot from Ledda.

15 minute mark: Hunt stops a powerful blast from Ledda.

17 minute mark: Simpson tripped Mariani in the box.. Mariani steps up for the penalty... shoots.. upper right corner.. Hunt didn't have a chance.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

29 minute mark: Berry is hurt and has to be pulled from the game. I put Turner on at left back.

38 minute mark: Pritchard passes to Gordon in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. the keeper saves.

Halftime: Down 1-0.

58 minute mark: Paul Simpson trips Mariani.. that is his second yellow card.. he is ejected.

I put Hogg on for Alexander and switch to a 4-3-2 formation.

62 minute Hogg passes to Gordon in the box.. the defense tackles him before he can shoot.

63 minute mark: Gordon gets the ball just outside the box.. shoots.. the keeper pushes it.. barely wide.

74 minute mark: Mariani is tripped in the box by Turner.. Mariana steps up.. takes the penalty shot.. blasts it into the upper left corner.. GOAL. Down 2-0. Perhaps, I pursued the wrong star young striker.

Game over. 2-0 loss.

We were outshot 8-4 (5-2 on target)

Davide Mariani wins MoM.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 25, 2013 -

My assistant reminds me that there are MANY players whose contract expires after this season. All of the following players have contracts expiring:

Chris Taylor - This 23 year old keeper has me confused. I'm not sure if he is the answer or not. However, I don't want to let him walk until I decide. I contact his agent who tells me that he wants 33,500/week plus a starting job. I decide to offer him the 33,500/week, but let him know that his status would be as a rotation player at this point.

David Harper - My other 23 year old keeper. Mr. Queiroz thinks that David has actually surpasses Chris and suggests that I use him as the primary backup to Howard. He has potential. I decide to contact his agent. He is only requesting 19,000/week and a rotational spot. I offer him both of these.

Defenders:

Zdenek Grygera - This 33 year old right back/centreback still has solid skills. I contact his agent about extending for one more year. Grygera is willing to take a small paycut down to 86,000/week. I agree to this offer.

Wes Brown - This 33 year old right back/centreback still has top notch physical skills, and excellent tackling. He is still a very solid defender. The question is how long will he be? I decide to offer him a 2 year extension. He is willing to take a small paycut to 47,000/week but only wants to sign through this year. I hope that he will take the 2 year extension.

Lucio - This 35 year old centreback is a marvel. He continues to have better speed than 90% of the guys in the game. He has excellent all around physical abilities. He has superb technical skills. Interestingly, his mental attributes are starting to slip slightly. I contact his agent. He is willing to take a slightt paycut, but he wants a Manager/Coach job release clause. How interesting. I agree to a 4.4 million dollar release clause, and hope that he will accept a one year extension.

Rio Ferdinand - This 34 year old centreback is starting to slip physically. He is starting to slip slightly technically as well. Perhaps, I shouldn't but I decide to offer him a 1 year extension. The board will only allow me to offer 87,000 to this player who they view as slipping. There is a good chance he will refuse this.

Cristian Chivu - This 32 year old left back/centreback is starting to lose his footspeed. However, he remains otherwise an elite player. I contact his agent about a 1 year extension. He wants 110,000/week plus 800k signing. I agree.

John O'Shea - This 32 year old leftback/centreback is maintaining his skill level. My Coach doesn't feel he is worthwile to bring back, but he remains a solid stop gap. I decide to offer him the 52,000 he is requesting but let him know he will be a rotation player.

Mikael Silvester - This 35 year old left back/centreback has lost all of his footspeed. He is otherwise still a solid player, but I don't see a use for such a slow player. I'll let him walk.

Midfielders:

Souleymane Mamam - This 28 year old midfielder from Togo is actually a decent player. I hardly ever use him in my crowded midfield, but I wouldn't feel terrible using him for a few games in a pinch. I offer him a slight raise to 31,000/week and let him know he will be a backup if he wants to stay another year.

Michael Wood - This 21 year old midfielder is one of my most valued and sought after young midfielders. I'm not sure he is as good as the hype around the football world believes. However, several clubs want him and I'm not going to just let him walk. I offer him 33,500/week for a 4 year extension as a rotator.

Damien Duff - This 34 year old left winger continues to lose footspeed, technical ability. I'm not going to renew his contract.

Stewart Downing - This 29 year old left winger is in the prime of his career. He wants a slight raise to 86,000/week as well as a 2.6 million dollar signing bonus for a 1 year extension. I offer him that, but I ask him to sign a 2 year extension.

Barry Parker - My 23 year old midfielder is developing nicely. He has become a solid defensive midfielder and I want to keep him around for depth. He wants a 4 year deal for 27,000/week plus 500k signing bonus. I agree to that deal.

Strikers:

James McFadden - This 30 year old striker is starting to show the slightest hints of decline. However, he is still a very good striker. He is requesting a 1 year extension with a 2 million dollar signing bonus and 80,000/week. I offer him this for a 2 year extension.

Alan Smith - This 32 year old striker is starting to show the early signs of decline. However, he still has better speed than most players. He still has good technical abilities and excellent mental abilities. He is requesting a deal for just this year, but I ask him to sign a 1 year extension at his current salary of 83,000/week.

Ernesto Marino - The 27 year old striker has some good abilities. I might have really given him a chance to be a good scorer, if we didn't have so many strikers that were better than him when I took over the team. He is only making 30,000/week. However, I think it is best to let him walk despite only being 27. He can hopefully, find playing time and be more happy.

Key Reserve Players:

Paul Kelly This 21 year old midfielder is looking like he is ready to step up to the first team very soon. He is going on loan to top notch English Championship Teams this year. We'll try to lock him up for a few years as I think he is going to develop into a very good midfielder. I offer him a 4 year extension at 20,500/week which is what he is requesting.

Bob Wright - His contract already expired, but he hangs around. I'm giving him a second look because he is only 21 and he might be a late bloomer. I offer him 20,000/week for 4 years.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 25, 2013 -

Today we have our last true friendly of the season before the Community Shield. Today we are playing Club Brugge which is a solid Belgian squad.

Today we will play all of our planned opening day starters except for our old defender, Lucio.

DC: Salva (he is the one I don't expect to start.)
MC: Djemba
MC: Cook

S1: Harper
S3: Parker
S5: Cahais
S6: Stevanovic
S7: McFadden
S8: Chivu
S9: Ortega
S10: King
S12: Alfonso
Old 05-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

3 minute mark: Salva tripped Kristof Hermans in the box.. Harmans steps up.. shoots.. lower left corner.. Howard dives.. it is past him. GOAL. Down 1-0.

21 minute mark: Schreurs burns two men.. crosses to Rooney.. he shoots.. good save by the keeper.

28 minute mark: Downing beats his man.. crosses to the far post.. Adriano heads it.. over the bar.

33 minute mark: Rooney is tripped just outside the box.. Downing takes the free kick.. curves.. around the wall.. into the upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-1.

44 minute Mark: Downing passes to Cook just outside the box.. he blasts a shot.. upper left corner.. very good save by the keeper.

Halftime: 1-1 tie.

58 minute mark: Rooney passes to Cook just outside the box.. he shoots.. into the crossbar.

65 minute mark: Jeroen Schreurs picks up an injury and will have to leave the pitch. I put Ortega on for him.

I also put Smith on for Adriano.

75 minute mark: Djemba passes to Ortega in the box.. he shoots from 15 yards out.. solid save by the keeper.

I bring on most of my second team.

78 minute mark: Marchetti starts the fast break.. passes to Cook at midfield.. he passes to Alfonso who gets into the box.. shoots.. upper right corner.. barely over the bar.

Game over. 1-1 tie.

We outshot them 12-10 (8-4 on target)

Their keeper, Peter Mollez, wins MoM.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 26, 2013 -

Lazio have signed Frank Wolf from Arsenal for 22.5 million dollars.

Zaragoza's 19 year old Spanish keeper, Dani, has accepted the contract offer I made to him. It is too early to tell if he will pan out as a starter, but he has potential.

The 2 million dollar deal has been completed. At the press conference, Dani told the media that he is looking forward to working under me. At least he is a good kiss up.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 27, 2013 -

Paul Kelly has signed a new 4 year deal for 3.6 million dollars.

Cristian Chivu has signed a new 2 year deal worth 10.5 million.

Rio Ferdinand surprised me by accepting the deal for 2 years at 9 million dollars.

Chris Taylor has signed the new 4 year, 7.2 million dollar deal.

Tottenham's Kevin Young has agreed to the contract terms we offered him. I may have overpaid for this player, but the 10 million dollar deal bringing him here is complete. Hopefully, he continues to develop into a top notch scorer.

James McFadden has signed a new 3 year deal worth 12.5 million.

Souleymane Mamam has signed the new 2 year deal worth 2.4 million dollars.

Lucio said that he is going to retire a Manchester United player, and he signed the new 2 year deal.

Barry Parker signed the new 4 year deal worth 5.4 million dollars.

Alan Smith signed the new 2 year deal worth 7.2 million dollars.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:14 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 30, 2013 -

Leeds have rejected my 5 million dollar offer Hunt. I'm not going to pursue the young keeper any longer.

John O'Shea signed a new 3 year deal worth 7.2 million dollars.

Zdenek Grygera signed a new 3 year deal worth 7.2 million dollars.

Bob Wright signed the new 4 year deal worth 4.4 million.

Wes Brown signed the new 3 year deal worth 7.2 million dollars.

Stewart Downing has signed the new 3 year deal worth 14 million dollars.

David Harper signed the new 4 year deal worth 3.6 million.

Michael Wood signed a new 4 year deal worth 7.2 million.

Arsenal have signed Fabio Fontana, a 22 year old left back from Torino.

The odds for the EPL have been announced today. We are the favorites at 6-4 odds. Liverpool is second with 2-1 odds. Chelsea is third with 5-2 odds. Arsenal has 10-1 odds, Aston Villa 16-1 odds, and Newcastle 25-1 odds to round out the top 6.

The media are asking me if I think we will win the title this season. I respond, "We have a good chance of winning the title, but the players must stay focused and give their best in every match."

Atletico de Madrid has hired Victor Fernandez to take over as their new boss.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug. 1, 2013 -

Newcastle have offered 14 million dollars for Alfonso. I tell them, "No."

The board is pleased with my performance as manager.

My lone Bosman signing Christian Tiffert has arrived from Siena. I don't really need him with the recent surprising blossoming of Ortega and Godoy, but he will be nice to have if they are injured. Tiffert is a very fast right winger.

Tottenham have signed Xisco from Zaragoza on a Bosman signing.

They have also signed experienced winger Momo from Deportivo.

Tottenham has also signed Attacking Midfielder Cani from Deportivo on a Bosman signing.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 3, 2013 -

NOOOOOO!!!!! Arsenal have paid 16 million to sign Jesus from Newcastle! I think Jesus has a key flaw in his game, but I hate to see if I'm wrong and he thrives for my most hated rivals.

Arsenal have paid Liverpool 16 million dollars and sent Hedwiges Maduro to them in exchange for defender Nigel de Jong from Liverpool. Nigel is a solid 28 year old defender.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 4, 2013 -

Today we play Fulham in the Community Shield. This is for pride, but I'm starting my best despite Fulham have just a good team. Fulham is led by striker Helder Postiga and Collins John. However, Collins is questionable for this game. Enrice Gaede is a solid centreback who is strong and quick. Phil Dunn is a good left winger. Thomas Hizlsperger remains a top notch midfielder.

We are 4-6 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the 70's.

DC: Chivu
MC: Djemba

S4: Parker
S5: Lucio
S6: McFadden
S7: King
Old 05-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Chivu with a good defensive play.

2 minute mark: Adriano collides with Enrico Gaede.. Gaede is hurt and has to leave the game.

9 minute mark: Downing gets called for holding Hitzlsperger.. yellow card for Downing.. on the ensuing free kick.. they passe sto Szabics.. he shoots from 25 yards out.. right over Howard's left shoulder.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

17 minute mark: Howard passes to Rooney at midfield.. he dribbles down the pitch.. past three defenders.. into the box.. passes.. behind Adriano.. bad pass.

20 minute mark: Brown with a good defensive play.

32 minute mark: Tonge passes to Postiga in the box.. he fakes out Chivu.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. GOAL. Down 2-0.

35 minute mark: Chivu bodychecks Szabics.. Szabics is hurt and has to leave the game.

Halftime: Down 2-0. How embarassing.

54 minute mark: Djemba passes to Rooney who shoots from 30 yards out.. it deflects off a defender.. and stops just short of the goal line. The keeper collects it.

59 minute mark: Fletcher gets a yellow card for a trip on Postiga.

I decide to sub Godoy for Downing who has been playing tentative with the yellow card all day. I also sub Cook for Fletcher who has a yellow card now and King for Adriano who also has a yellow card.

63 minute mark: Godoy gets a yellow card for a hand ball.

75 minute mark: Djemba passes to Cook.. he shoots.. hard curving shot.. upper right corner.. good save by the keeper.

85 minute mark: Marchetti passes long to Djemba.. he shoots.. hard shot.. it deflects off a defender.. into the right side of the net! GOAL!!!! Still down 2-1.

86 minute mark: Marchetti passes long to Djemba who heads it to Cook outside the box.. he shoots.. upper left corner.. barely wide left.

Game over. 2-1 loss in the Community Shield. How embarassing

We were outshot 7-5 (3-2 on target)

Schreurs wins MoM, 8 for form, 22 of 27 passes, 2 of 4 tackles, 0 headers, 8 runs.

Downing was terrible. I hope he doesn't become complacent now that he has signed his likely last big long term deal.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 8, 2013 -

Arsenal is crazy. They offered Domenico Ranieri, a below average right winger and 1 million dollars for Alfonso. No way am I accepting that deal.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 8, 2013 -

Betis have offered 15 million for Alfonso. I decline the offer.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #41
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

How are the younger Americans looking in your game?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 10, 2013 -

Alfonso has come into my office today and told me that he is really disappointed that I rejected Betis' offer. He said that was one of his favorite clubs as a kid, and he would really hope I would reconsider.

Today we play Charlton at home in what should be an easy EPL opener. Charlton's most talented players are left winger Ryan Smith, attacking midfielder Mohamed Sissoko, and striker Nico. Steve Gardner and Alan Robson are good defenders, but not that talented. Their keeper Stephan Andersen doesn't look to be of particularly high quality.

We are 1-6 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the 80's.

DC: Ferdinand
DC: Lucio

S2: Marchetti
S5: Brown
Old 05-14-2005, 10:28 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
How are the younger Americans looking in your game?

I'll let you know as soon as this game is over.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

5 minute mark: Downing steals it at midfield.. passes to Rooney.. he shoots from 30 yards out.. hard banana shot.. the keeper saves it.

12 minute mark: Cook passes to Downing in the left corner of the box.. he shoots.. wide right.

20 minute mark: Fletcher passes to Rooney in the left side of the box.. Rooney fakes out a defender.. dribbles to the baseline.. shoots the ball parallel to the baseline.. it curves.. into the upper right corner! GOAL!!!! 1-0.

26 minute mark: Grygera with a long pass to Downing in the left side of the box.. he centers to Rooney.. he shoots.. over the keeper's left shoulder! GOAL!!!! 2-0! That is Rooney's 100th Career League Goal for us!

Halftime: 2-0 lead for us. We have over 70,000 fans here today.

49 minute mark: Downing with a brilliant dribble around one defender.. splits two other defenders.. into the box.. short cross.. Fletcher by the near post.. heads it.. into the upper left corner.. GOAL!!!!! 3-0.

51 minute mark: Adriano passes to Rooney left of the box.. Rooney splits two defenders.. dribbles into the left side of the box.. shoots.. parallel to the endline.. it curves.. into the upper right corner.. GOAL!!!!! 4-0! That is Rooney's hattrick!

56 minute mark: Downing passes to Rooney in the left side of the box.. he shoots.. hard powerful shot.. curving.. into the upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 5-0! That is Rooney's 4th.

61 minute mark: King on for Rooney, Alfonso on for Downing, and Marchetti on for Lucio.

Downing and Rooney both get standing ovations as they leave.

74 minute mark: Long pass from Fletcher to Adriano in the box.. he is alone with the keeper.. tries to fake out the keeper.. the keeper strips the ball from him!

85 minute mark: Howard stops a 15 yard shot from McCormack.

Game over. 5-0 win for us.

We outshot them 12-3 (7-2 on target)

Rooney wins MoM, 10 for form, 5 of 5 passes, 1 of 3 tackles, 2 of 8 headers, 1 interception, 6 runs, and 4 goals.

Downing also had a 10 for form. Fletcher had a 9 for form. The rest of the team had 8's for form.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:51 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looking at the American National Team I see a few promising young players. Of course, Freddy Adu looks extremely impressive. Gary Shultis, JR. is playing for New England and he looks good as a 22 year old left back/left winger. Randy Peacock is a good 22 year old right winger who also plays for New England in the MLS. Brendan Wilhide is only 20, but has good potential at left wing. He is currently playing for Dallas. David Keyes is a good young midfielder who is playing for San Jose. However, he is only 20 and the USA is in trouble if they rely on him too much. A lot of the old stars are still around, and hopefully the USA will get some good young players when they retire.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 11, 2013 -

Aston Villa have offered Paul Anderson, a 22 year old left winger, and 100,000 dollars for Alfonso. I decline.

Manchester City have signed Wayne Dunn from Aston Villa for 10 million dollars.

QPR have asked to borrow my new young striker, Kevin Young for 3 months. They have good training facilities so I agree.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 15, 2013 -

Gonzalo Abando has been named the new manager of Real Madrid. He had a very successful year at Xerez last year. Xerez will now be looking for a replacement.

Kevin Young has agreed to go on loan to Q.P.R.

Tim Howard played well in the USA's 10-0 win over the Netherlands Antilles in the World Cup Qualifying match.

Cristian Chivu broke his leg in multiple places during practice today. He is expected to miss at least 6 months of the season!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #48
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

with good results this year, you should be entering the HOF of england managers.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:15 PM   #49
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 17, 2013 -

Today we play at Liverpool's pitch in an early important EPL Match. Liverpool is still led by Cisse and Yakubu at striker. Left winger Hatem Ben Arfa is playing well with his new club. Midfielder Andres D'Alessandro remains a good player at the age of 32. Nuno Ferro is playing well in the midfield as well. Gael Clichy is one of the best left backs in the game. Hedwiges Maduro is playing centreback very well. Chris Kirkland is doing well in goal and should be extra motivated against me today.

We are 6-4 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the mid 70's.

DC: Ferdinand
DC: Lucio

S2: Marchetti
S5: Brown
Old 05-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
with good results this year, you should be entering the HOF of england managers.

I actually entered the bottom of the Hall last year. Now it is time to move up