Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

College football - Week 7

Because someone has to start the thread (and it's a little late with games already played last night).

My Huskies take on Oregon State at home tomorrow night, in a game that will probably determine if Washington and Jake Locker go bowling this year.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Shouldn't those uniforms read "U of F" with a Gator logo on the helmet?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The way we played against ASU last week I give us no shot of winning tomorrow.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Team Votes Prev. Weekend Opponent
1. Oregon (5) 312 2 Bye
2. Ohio State (5) 302 3 at #21 Wisconsin
3. Boise State (3) 295 4 at San Jose State
4. TCU 276 5 vs. BYU
5. Nebraska 258 7 vs. Texas
6. Oklahoma 248 6 vs. Iowa State
7. Auburn 242 8 vs. #13 Arkansas
8. LSU 238 10 vs. McNeese State
9. Alabama 231 1 vs. Mississippi
10. Utah 189 11 at Wyoming
11. South Carolina 183 19 at Kentucky
12. Michigan State 179 17 vs. Illinois
13. Arkansas 169 12 at #7 Auburn
14. Stanford 164 15 Bye
15. Iowa 134 14 at Michigan
16. Florida State 130 23 vs. Boston College
17. Nevada 104 21 at Hawaii
18. Arizona 102 9 at Washington State
19. Oklahoma State 87 22 at Texas Tech
20. Missouri 81 24 at Texas A&M
21. Wisconsin 76 20 vs. #2 Ohio State
22. Florida 55 13 vs. Mississippi State
23. Air Force 47 NR at San Diego State
24. West Virginia 23 NR vs. South Florida
25. Oregon State 22 NR at Washington

Dropped out:
#16 Miami(FL), #18 Michigan, #25 Northwestern

Also receiving votes:
North Carolina State 21,Virginia Tech 16,Miami (FL) 11,Michigan 11,
California 10,Northwestern 4,Texas 3,Illinois 2

Thanks to the following FOFCers for voting this week:

BishopMVP
Butter_of_69
cartman
Cuckoo
Dark Cloud
duckman
GoSeahawks
JonInMiddleGA
Noop
RainMaker
SnDvls
Solecismic's Football Frontier
tarcone
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
BishopMVP
Coordinator

ND TE (and #1 draft prospect) Kyle Rudolph out for the year. Hopefully this means he comes back next season.

Games I'm interested in:

Illinois @ Michigan St. 12pm B10
Missouri @ Texas A&M 12pm
Arkansas @ Auburn 3:30 CBS
Texas @ Nebraska 3:30 ABC/ESPN
Oklahoma St @ Texas Tech 3:30
Richmond @ UMass 3:30 (Exciting CAA action! Also Homecoming.)
UNH @ JMU 3:30 (Hoping for a UNH victory to increase the profile of UMass/UNH next week at Gillette)
Iowa @ Michigan 3:30 ABC/ESPN (Actually not interested in this one vs. the other 3:30 games, but I think one or two people here are.)
South Carolina @ Kentucky 6pm ESPN2 (maybe if SC impresses here they can jump ahead of Alabama in the polls)
Ohio State @ Wisconsin 7pm ESPN
Ole Miss @ Alabama 9pm ESPN2
Nevada @ Hawaii 11:30 ESPN3

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-15-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I'm getting sniped everywhere today.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Shouldn't those uniforms read "U of F" with a Gator logo on the helmet?

Gators barely managed a top 10 finish in the Fulmer Cup.

The cartoon , which appeared in the AJC this week, was prompted by yet another arrest on traffic related charges to bring the total to 11 arrests so far in 2010.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Cuckoo
College Starter

I'm rooting for Nebraska to pummel Texas this week, and I'm desperately hoping for them to go undefeated and face an undefeated OU in the Big XII championship. There would be no greater end to the once-storied rivalry than for the Sooners to send the Huskers on their way with a sound beating.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself. In the near term, here's to hoping that OU can take care of Iowa State and not jump out to a big lead and let the team back in it like they've done in every game except Florida State.

Several other big games this week. I'm probably more interested in Auburn/Arkansas than Ohio State/Wisconsin, as I think OSU will win easily.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

Surprised to see Syracuse a pick 'em at home against Pitt tomorrow. The Big East is TERRIBLE.

Still, biggest game for Syracuse in quite a few years. I do love 10 AM Mountain Time Zone football.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Haven't seen this mentioned:

http://signonsandiego.com/news/2010/...ains-momentum/

Quote:
The Mountain West Conference plans to hold a conference call with its member athletic directors Friday about conflict-of-interest issues that arose from last week’s botched replay review in San Diego State’s football game at Brigham Young University.

The conference suspended the three replay personnel from that game for failing to overturn an obvious missed fumble call in the third quarter that led to BYU’s 24-21 win. One of three suspended personnel was a BYU athletics employee, Chad Bunn, who was working the game for the MWC. Another of three, who hasn’t been identified, is said to be a BYU alum. Though it’s not clear how much influence Bunn or the other alum had on the call, the appearance of a possible conflict of interest unsettled SDSU officials and ricocheted through cyberspace Thursday.

SDSU Athletic Director Jim Sterk said he and SDSU President Stephen Weber addressed the issue Thursday with conference Commissioner Craig Thompson. He said the “end result was to have a conference call and see whether anyone else is interested in making changes.”

“I was shocked that they were connected that close to the university in the replay booth,” Sterk said.

The MWC issued a statement that said, “The Mountain West Conference is engaged in an ongoing review of all components involved in this situation.”

The league declined further comment.

Sterk said the explanation he received was that “it was human error somehow and the video official did not see the video everyone else saw.”

The TV replays showed a clear fumble by BYU running back JJ Di Luigi recovered by SDSU. But head replay official Mike Angelis of Reno, Nev., ruled there was not enough evidence to rule that way. As a result, BYU retained possession and scored a touchdown five plays later to take a 24-14 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Many other schools in the MWC said they do not have school employees work in the league replay booth, including SDSU, Utah, Wyoming , Colorado State and Air Force. As a result, they avoid accusations of a conflict of interest when a controversy arises such as this. Messages left for the other schools were not immediately returned.

Nationally, there is no consistent policy on the issue. Some leagues and schools don’t allow school employees to work on the league replay crew. Some do allow school employees as long as they are not working as the head replay official.

In the Sun Belt Conference, no one in the booth has any ties to the schools.

“None of our current or past (replay teams) would have been institutional employees,” said John McElwain of the Sun Belt Conference. “I think it could give the illusion of impropriety. But you’d hope people in this profession can put those loyalties aside and be professional.”

NCAA games have at least three replay personnel: the head replay official, the replay communicator and the technical adviser. The head replay official, in this case Angelis, makes the decision on whether to overturn calls based on replay evidence. That person generally travels with the rest of the on-field officials and is not allowed to be a school employee.

Bunn and the other BYU alum were working the other two replay booth roles. The other two replay staffers often are local to the area in which the game is played because conferences don’t want to pay the travel costs to fly them to games. The communicator talks with the TV production crew to provide the best video feed of a play being reviewed. The technical staffer generally pushes buttons on the software to set the plays up for viewing and make sure the equipment functions properly.

In the Southeastern Conference, a spokesman said the SEC technician is “usually a school employee because the equipment is there year-round.”

In the Mid-American and Pac-10 conferences, the host schools are supposed to supply the technicians, and it’s not uncommon for them to be school employees. But the Pac-10 learned this week that controversy arises when it’s discovered that a replay official has ties to a school involved in a game. In Oregon State’s 29-27 win at Arizona last week, four replay reviews went against Oregon State.

The replay official, Jim Fogltance, is an Arizona grad. The Portland Tribune said he’s a donor to the Arizona athletic department and questioned the apparent conflict of interest.

Fogltance was not suspended. The three who were suspended from the BYU game were Angelis, Bunn and the unidentified third person.

Angelis owns a deli in Reno, where a worker told a reporter who called Thursday that Angelis said there was “no comment that can be made on this.” Bunn hung up when a reporter called him for comment Wednesday.

There are differences in opinion on how much school affiliation matters for the two replay booth staffers who aren’t making final judgments.

In the Western Athletic Conference, a spokesman said the replay communicator “could” be a school employee and the technician is often likely a school employee. Only the replay official is always neutral in the WAC.

“The replay official is the one sitting there looking at the play,” Dave Chaffin of the WAC said. “The communicator is busy working with the technician to get the right angles, slow it down, find the right spots. Ultimately it’s the replay official making the decision.”

SDSU sees it differently.

“I want just to make sure the rest of the athletic directors know what occurred,” Sterk said.

Last edited by Logan : 10-15-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Always makes me nervous when OSU travels to Wisconsin. More afraid of this game than of @ Iowa to be honest.

Fully expect OSU to Tressel-ball this one to a 16-13 score or something like that, hopefully in the Bucks favor.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Always makes me nervous when OSU travels to Wisconsin. More afraid of this game than of @ Iowa to be honest.

Fully expect OSU to Tressel-ball this one to a 16-13 score or something like that, hopefully in the Bucks favor.

A night game in Madison would worry me, too.

I will miss the game. Going on a picnic and drive through the countryside with the in-laws. Father-in-law going in for hernia surgery Tuesday.

I will have my phone, but we are going into the ozark mountains. Reception will be sketchy.

GO HAWKS!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The way we played against ASU last week I give us no shot of winning tomorrow.
This team has been Jekyll & Hyde this season. If they play like they did vs. USC, they probably beat the Beavers.

I dunno what to think. We're obviously beat up with Kohler & Aguilar out and Locker possibly limited with that quad bruise. But so is Oregon State, with James Rodgers out and a couple of their OL beat up and questionable.

If Jake is playing with close to full mobility, I think we have a decent shot at pulling out the win.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
This team has been Jekyll & Hyde this season. If they play like they did vs. USC, they probably beat the Beavers.

I dunno what to think. We're obviously beat up with Kohler & Aguilar out and Locker possibly limited with that quad bruise. But so is Oregon State, with James Rodgers out and a couple of their OL beat up and questionable.

If Jake is playing with close to full mobility, I think we have a decent shot at pulling out the win.

Vegas has this game at pick’em, which sounds about right to me.

The Dawgs are at home and really need this one if they want to go bowling this year. Combine that with the fact that a mobile quarterback has been kryptonite to the Beavs for about three years now and this is anybodies game. What scares me is that games like this are usually decided by one or two big plays, and our big play guy is on crutches.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

First road game of the year and I'm always nervous when we play at Texas A&M.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV's going to Colorado State. One of the few winnable games this year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #17
Atocep
Coordinator

Latwan Anderson already unhappy at Miami and considering leaving. Most shocking news ever!

Latwan Anderson leaving? It might be « Miami Hurricanes Sports

Quote:
Latwan Anderson has made Miami fans go into a little bit of a frenzy. Latwan Anderson has not been able to see the field this year at all, he has been set back by back injuries that have been speculated to be caused by track. Latwan Anderson has made it quiet clear that he is not happy with the coaching staff.

Latwan posted this on Facebook: “This really starting to **** me off..I’ve never regretted a thing in life, nanna said theres a first time for everything though…yeahh its bout that time make that call!”

He is very disappointed on how he has been treated at Miami. “It is almost like freshman are invisible”.

Latwan was a highly touted recruit for the Miami Hurricane 2010 recruiting class. He was ranked #2 CB in his class. Anderson had previously committed to play for West Virginia on national television during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, but had second thoughts and visited the UM track program. Shortly after he decided Miami was the right choice. But it does not look like that anymore.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

LOL! I love how this is spinning out of control and SDSU is bitching about the fumble as if this is the entire reason they lost the game....a few things here

1) The one guy they are talking about had nothing to do with the decision on the replay, he is a damn technical advisor, he is the guy in charge of the equipment

2) Not only was the fumble missed (It was a legit fumble) there were 2 facemask penalties on this play missed with the second one being the cause of the fumble.

3) SDSU YOU LOST GIVE IT THE FUCK UP!

Oh, and I truly expect to get the ever living snot beat out of us today...I just hope we don't get shut out...Patterson will run it up on us no matter the score...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
First road game of the year and I'm always nervous when we play at Texas A&M.

A&M is extremely fortunate to not be further behind than 16 points at halftime. Mizzou's defense continues to be extremely impressive.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just realized this...besides the major self destruct against Utah State...BYU has lost to FSU (16), Nevada (19), and Air Force (23)...3 loses to 3 ranked teams and it looks like all 3 teams will win again...add in tonights potential loss...and thats to 4 ranked teams...

I don't know if I can take solace in that or not...but I do know this...we suck, and it's worse than I thought it would be.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

Let's go Hawkeyes.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Great game for the Tigers! 6-0 with an almost certain undefeated OU coming to Columbia next weekend. Can't wait! Gabbert looked healthy and the defense looked phenomenal! A Nebraska loss to Texas today would just be icing on the cake.

On a tangent... a lot of people are excited that ESPN gameday may come to Columbia. What is so exciting about listening to those d-bags pull a 180 after slamming Mizzou's chances against A&M just 3 hours ago. So the pundits will now talk about Mizzou's D? Who cares? As an adult tailgater who likes to have a few cocktails it seems like it will just mean more traffic, more dick cops, and more headaches. Am I missing something and just turning into a grumpy old man or can somebody fill me in on the excitement of having a staged media creation come to your campus?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

0 for 4 start for Mallett.

yayyyy
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

Rebounded well on the second drive after a 3 and out for Auburn. 7-0 Arkansas. Need 4 quarters of THAT.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #26
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV continues to suck. I'm half-thinking I should go abroad in the fall instead of the spring.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Someone needs to tell Arkansas defenders that they shouldn't be getting ran over by a quarterback.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

Someone needs to tell everyone in the country that. That guy's a beast.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

Auburn answers with a TD and FG, but Arkansas drives the length of the field for a TD and its 13-10 (PAT pending), Hogs.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Robert Woods is an incredible true freshman!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well here comes some epic horseshit.

1) It was ruled a fumble on the field. The refs come back and say it was ruled a touchdown on the field. Well, I SAW them rule it a fumble at the time.

2) Then they refuse to overturn it even though you can clearly see the ball didn't get in the endzone because there wasn't enough evidence.

THAT is some horseshit.

Last edited by MJ4H : 10-16-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #32
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Well here comes some epic horseshit.

Makes up for that BS Defensive PI that led to Arkansas's last TD.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #34
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

You really can't overturn that based on the replay video.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #35
bob
College Starter

Yeah, i don't see how that wasn't over turned. Can you see when the ball falls out? No. But you can see when his hands go over the goal line, and its clear the ball isn't in those hands. Horrible call.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #36
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Makes up for that BS Defensive PI that led to Arkansas's last TD.

The one where his hands were around his waist holding him and we scored on the next play? Yep, I'm sure it does.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

Brandon Mitchell should be our second choice at QB, not Tyler Wilson, for the record.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #38
bronconick
College Starter

Ah, the SEC conspiracy to have an undefeated team to jam into the BCS title game continues.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #39
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Ah, the SEC conspiracy to have an undefeated team to jam into the BCS title game continues.

I'm not sure if you are kidding or not about that conspiracy, but my friends that are SEC fans are convinced its true.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC with 340 yards and up 35-0 on Cal.... and it is not even half time.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Make it 42-0 at the half. Barkley has already tied the USC record with 5 TD passes.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-16-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Cam Newton.... so glad he is not a Gator.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

5 turnovers helping GT pull away from MTSU, now 35-7 with 4 mins left Q3
Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #44
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Make it 42-0 at the half. Barkley has already tied the USC record with 5 TD passes.

Welcome back to the college football threads. It was pretty quiet in her the last few weeks without any USC fans
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #45
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Brandon Mitchell should be our second choice at QB, not Tyler Wilson, for the record.

Do you still stand by this statement?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #46
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The UM corner looked terrible on that Iowa TD.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #47
MrBug708
Head Coach

Maybe UCLA should play in the Big-12?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #48
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This Auburn-Arkansas game is outstanding. I thought it was over once Mallet went out, the Hogs are hanging in.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #49
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

And now the Razorbacks takes a lead (subject to review).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #50
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Man oh man Cam Newton is the real deal.