Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #701
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Oh, wow. The worst VT in 25 years beats the best UVA team in 25 years in OT. That's 15 in a row for the Hokies, and now they make up the cancelled game next week v. Marshall to keep the NCAA's longest bowl-streak alive.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #702
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well unfortunately Coastal Carolina couldn't get that last win to become bowl-eligible, losing by three Was going to be hard for them to get picked anyway as a bunch of Sun Belt teams qualified and all would be ahead of Coastal. Their lack of depth really hurt them as the season wore on.

Next season they will have a full roster and be a true Div I member. Can't wait to see how they do.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Kyler Murray is absurd
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #704
Butter
Coordinator

These team's defenses are absurd.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #705
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
UCF QB McKenzie Milton goes down with a gruesome knee injury. Awful.

Video for the curious out there. Expected warning. Knee's are not made to look like that.

FanCave on Twitter: "GRUESOME INJURY ALERT 🚨🤢

#UCF’s star QB McKenzie Milton just suffered one of the worst knee injuries that you’ll see. ðŸ¤* https://t.co/PpmJlFteSa"

Seeing reports he had emergency surgery to restore blood flow to his leg. Think Zach Miller of the Bears and Teddy Bridgewater of the Vikings.

https://thespun.com/college-football...-injury-update

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-23-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #706
Butter
Coordinator

The amount of fades West Virginia throws is infuriating.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #707
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
The amount of fades West Virginia throws is infuriating.

The tackling has been pretty infuriating, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #708
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The tackling has been pretty infuriating, too.

Offense went toe to toe with probably the best offense in college football history, but Tony Gibson's defense this year just isn't very good against good spread offenses. I know it's debatable how much falls on Gibson and how much falls on the fact that 4 of the top 6 linebackers have been out all year but it's still been bad in crucial games.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #709
bob
College Starter

It confuses me to no end that here in Atlanta we get Florida versus Florida State on ABC instead of Georgia versus Georgia Tech.

Also, regardless of what you think of the merits of Central Florida getting into the playoffs, their slim chances ended the second their quarterback got injured
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #710
digamma
Torchbearer

As I understand the scheduling today, they are all national games, so there is no regional split. Florida is the national ABC game. COFH is the national SEC Network game.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #711
hollmt
High School Varsity

oh GOODIE.
Gus Johnson is calling THE game.
THE master OF emphasizing EVERY other WORD to THE point OF annoyance.

Last edited by hollmt : 11-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #712
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm dissatisfied with the officiating this first quarter. Considering writing a letter.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #713
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just another standard OSU beatdown...

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-24-2018 at 12:29 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #714
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Just another standard OSU beatdown...

Well that is some interesting turn of events. lol
Old 11-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #715
bob
College Starter

I’m not sure even the most pessimistic GT fans thought it would be this bad at the half...
Old 11-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #716
hollmt
High School Varsity

Gus just popped a blood vessel in his head.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #717
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I’m not sure even the most pessimistic GT fans thought it would be this bad at the half...

Thought it would? Nah.
Knew it very well could be? Yeah.

I felt like three people were the key to anything good happening
1) Oliver, getting 4 ypc repeatedly
2) Jim Cheney, doing Jim Cheney things
3) Nick Saban, if he caused the mutts to be looking ahead

If you told me I'd be 0-for-3 on those then, yeah, this would have been somewhat possible.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh ffs Michigan
Old 11-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #719
bronconick
College Starter

Michigan is a better Tennessee getting perpetually owned by their own annual rival that competes for titles.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #720
Butter
Coordinator

GG Michigan, EZ
Old 11-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #721
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Seriously though, this Ohio State team is just a mess. Seems like a combo of bad luck, stupid plays, and terrible LB'er play. I really can't see them pulling it together this year.

Nailed it!
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #722
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like GA will slip into top 4 next week.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #723
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Looks like GA will slip into top 4 next week.

Irrelevant. Have to win the SEC to get in to the playoffs. Winning against the best team in college football.

The reward is to play an undefeated Clemson team and the chance to play Alabama AGAIN in the National Championship game.

Kicking the shit outta a DII Georgia Tech team is like beating up a 5 year old.

Speaking of kicking, still kickin myself for taking the points with Ohio St. Why? Shoulda taken that sweet ML
Old 11-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #724
BishopMVP
Coordinator

*Georgia* needs to win the SEC to get in... Alabama is in regardless imo (barring a loss today as well). If Georgia loses, Oklahoma is in with a win, if both lose then Ohio State is in with a win. If all of Georgia, OU & OSU lose next week, fuck it why not put UCF in. I don't need to see LSU (again) or Washington against this Alabama team.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-24-2018 at 03:32 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #725
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

With the loss of their QB, I'm no longer on the UCF bandwagon. I don't need to see them lose by 80 without their QB.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #726
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
With the loss of their QB, I'm no longer on the UCF bandwagon. I don't need to see them lose by 80 without their QB.
If Ohio State is bad enough to lose to Northwestern, Oklahoma a second time to Texas, and Georgia by double digits to Alabama I don't care if their whole starting lineup got hurt. No other team would be remotely close to deserving a playoff spot so why not stick in the team with 25 straight wins? (assuming they beat Memphis with the backup.)

We've seen LSU destroyed at home, we'll see Georgia take their best shot next week, we saw Michigan's D get curb stomped today... you want to argue for a 3 loss Texas that has 6 one score wins or one of the Washington's?

(PS while I'm ranting it doesn't matter except jersey color & I think Clemson should be favored by a TD or less, but I see no justification other than past playoff performance why Clemson is the 2 over ND right now. Clemson barely pulled out their only top 25 win at home against a team ND just torched on a neutral field, ND has two additional top 25 wins, and the two teams we struggled to pull away from with Book/Williams playing (Pitt/NW) are somehow both P5 division champs.)
Old 11-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #727
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
No other team would be remotely close to deserving a playoff spot

Invite one of the final four teams from a Texas/Georgia/Florida high school upper classification instead. They've played tougher schedules and are "more deserving".
Old 11-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #728
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised Rutgers is still winning (though not for long it looks like). I know MSU is bad, but still

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #729
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Invite one of the final four teams from a Texas/Georgia/Florida high school upper classification instead. They've played tougher schedules and are "more deserving".
If they weren't coming off consecutive playoff appearances people would be apoplectic over Clemson's SoS too. Doesn't look like Pitt will be ranked next week, so they've got a late come from behind win at home vs #19 & a second best win of who, likely 7-5 Texas A&M or that Pitt team who UCF blew out? Cincinnati is as good as anyone else on Clemson's schedule, but it's not Clemson's fault the ACC sucked just like it isn't UCF's fault the AAC & UNC sucked (plus UNC was cancelled).

I'm not arguing UCF should be in in a normal year, unlike RM I don't actually think it's a problem they wouldn't be considered over any one loss P5 team, but in the worst case scenario where you literally don't have a one loss P5 team for spot 4 yeah I'd rather give them a shot than see LSU get worked again.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but in the worst case scenario where you literally don't have a one loss P5 team for spot 4 yeah I'd rather give them a shot than see LSU get worked again.

And that's fine, you're completely entitled to that opinion. I just don't believe it suggests you have the slightest clue about high level college football.

Seriously, at this point, anyone hyping UCF as playoff-worthy really isn't someone I can ever take seriously about college football.

I just wish to hell those folks would leave it to people who have a fucking clue.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #731
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I mean, pick a fucking SOS metric.

Sagarin? 49 for Clemson vs 95 for UCF
Outsiders? 98 for Clemson ... but 117 for UCF ... with the latter producing half the projected losses as even Clemson's lowly regarded schedule.

UCF IS a successful team ... based on the luxury of playing a joke of a schedule. But there's a difference between being successful in that scenario vs being relevant, meaningful, or deserving of anything more than a pat on the head.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #732
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How did Michigan State ever win 6 games this year?
Old 11-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #733
bob
College Starter

Despite the fact that one of the teams I care most about is 11 - 0 right now, I have to say this feels like one of the worst overall seasons I can remember. I feel like I know Alabama is good, but who knows about anyone else.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #734
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Despite the fact that one of the teams I care most about is 11 - 0 right now, I have to say this feels like one of the worst overall seasons I can remember. I feel like I know Alabama is good, but who knows about anyone else.

Case in point, all credit for winning all their games so far, but if ND is really the #3 team in the country its a bad year.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #735
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Case in point, all credit for winning all their games so far, but if ND is really the #3 team in the country its a bad year.
Well that goes back to my comments earlier about what the heck the rankings are even measuring. They're not the third best team in the country, but "everyone" agrees that they "deserve" to be ranked #3. The rankings aren't even pretending to rank according to "best" teams.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #736
kingfc22
Head Coach

SC’s receivers might want to work on holding onto the ball. Yeesh
Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #737
bob
College Starter

Oh, they might very well be the 3rd best team. I think that just says a lot about the season as a whole.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #738
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And that's fine, you're completely entitled to that opinion. I just don't believe it suggests you have the slightest clue about high level college football.

Seriously, at this point, anyone hyping UCF as playoff-worthy really isn't someone I can ever take seriously about college football.

I just wish to hell those folks would leave it to people who have a fucking clue.
Depends what you think the playoff should determine. I'm 99.9% certain that UCF is not the best team in the country, but I'm 100% certain LSU isn't. Even if LSU snuck out a win over Alabama if Tua got hurt & they got every bouncing ball I still wouldn't think they're a better team. I've been around FOFC long enough I won't try to change your mind, but what's the harm in letting undefeated UCF in over a multiple loss team that has already proven in 2018 they can't compete vs Alabama?
Old 11-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #739
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Well that goes back to my comments earlier about what the heck the rankings are even measuring. They're not the third best team in the country, but "everyone" agrees that they "deserve" to be ranked #3. The rankings aren't even pretending to rank according to "best" teams.
I actually think they "deserve" to be #2, even if I'd favor Clemson in a matchup. Fwiw I'm very surprised at our interior OL basically being dominated by USC so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
SC’s receivers might want to work on holding onto the ball. Yeesh
It would've been 30 yards field position difference & ND scored their only TD anyways, but I was a little surprised they didn't call that a fumble on that 3rd down where USC's WR slipped. I don't think his knee or elbow touched before he dropped it.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #740
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Depends what you think the playoff should determine. I'm 99.9% certain that UCF is not the best team in the country, but I'm 100% certain LSU isn't. Even if LSU snuck out a win over Alabama if Tua got hurt & they got every bouncing ball I still wouldn't think they're a better team. I've been around FOFC long enough I won't try to change your mind, but what's the harm in letting undefeated UCF in over a multiple loss team that has already proven in 2018 they can't compete vs Alabama?
Now I’m curious about your thoughts on this: if “can’t compete vs Alabama” is the metric, what if the SECCG plays out similar to last year’s championship game and several other dominoes fall as you mentioned above. Does a multi-loss Georgia team that would have proven they *can* compete with Alabama this year deserve another shot? (I mean, is the goal here “JUST DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP BAMA FROM WINNING AGAIN???” &#128540
Old 11-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #741
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I’m an Ohio St homer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think they have as a good a claim to the #4 spot as anyone (assuming they beat NW and UGA loses to Bama). The Purdue loss was obviously terrible and if it costs the Bucks the spot, they have no one else to blame.

But they have two better wins (Michigan & PSU) than Oklahoma and the Sooners have a couple of similar ‘bad’ wins that significantly dinged OSU - OkSt and TT are both 3-conference-win teams who gave OU all they could handle just like Nebraska and Maryland did with OhSt.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 11-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #742
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Fedora likely out at UNC
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #743
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755 View Post
I’m an Ohio St homer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think they have as a good a claim to the #4 spot as anyone (assuming they beat NW and UGA loses to Bama). The Purdue loss was obviously terrible and if it costs the Bucks the spot, they have no one else to blame.

But they have two better wins (Michigan & PSU) than Oklahoma and the Sooners have a couple of similar ‘bad’ wins that significantly dinged OSU - OkSt and TT are both 3-conference-win teams who gave OU all they could handle just like Nebraska and Maryland did with OhSt.

They were lucky to beat PSU, if Franklin doesn't melt down they lose, PSU was the better team. They were also lucky to beat MD last week. MD QB missed a wide open receiver on the 2 point try. Their win vs TCU means nothing, and their schedule is crap. Oklahomas D is beyond dreadful, but I would love to see their offense against Bama.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #744
bob
College Starter

Ha, this seems to prove my point. Everyone's schedule was crap. It feels like 10 - 25 are ranked because someone has to be.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #745
lungs
Pro Rookie

Oof. Minnesota gets the axe back after 14 years. So much for Wisconsin's National Championship talk at the beginning of the year. Should I go all tarcone and demand Paul Chryst's head? And then talk about how great he is when they win the West next year
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #746
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Power Rankings as of this very moment
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Georgia
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma

Central Florida is with a bunch of teams in that 20-50 range. Not saying they arent a good team but comparable to teams like Stanford, California, South Carolina, Iowa and Fresno State. Teams you dont even put in the Playoff discussion.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-24-2018 at 10:13 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #747
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
They were lucky to beat PSU, if Franklin doesn't melt down they lose, PSU was the better team. They were also lucky to beat MD last week. MD QB missed a wide open receiver on the 2 point try. Their win vs TCU means nothing, and their schedule is crap. Oklahomas D is beyond dreadful, but I would love to see their offense against Bama.

All of that is 100% true, but it’s a curious argument to make in support of OU. The Bedlam game ended exactly the same way as OSU-Maryland, and a strong argument can be made that the Sooners were the inferior team in their only 2 wins vs. teams ranked at the end of the regular season. It looks like Army and WVU were both better on paper ... but a win is a win.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #748
cuervo72
Head Coach

I dunno, can we just bring back ties?
Old 11-24-2018, 11:35 PM   #749
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I dunno, can we just bring back ties?

Amen.

The game lasted so long that the student section was sober by the time it ended.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #750
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I have to think that LSU/A&M is the largest miss of the O/U (45.5) in history.