Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #301
tarcone
Coordinator

I hope Dr. Sak didnt work the Wisconsin/ASU game.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #302
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I call BS. Refs screw up games in college and NFL all of the time, replacements or not, but you're the one flying off the handle about it.
As well he should - Wisconsin got absolutely jobbed. It's unknown whether the kicker would have made the kick, but they should have had the chance to find out. Terrible, terrible officiating there.

And I'm speaking as someone with no rooting interest in Wisconsin or ASU - if anything, as a fan of a Pac-12 school it's in my interests for ASU to win to boost the perception of the conference.

But not like that - they got away with one.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #303
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Let's Be Clear About the End of the UW-ASU Game - Off Tackle Empire

Since I'm still stuck on it.. just more frame by frame shots..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #304
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I hope Dr. Sak didnt work the Wisconsin/ASU game.
Didn't he say he's with the Big Ten crew? It was a Pac-12 crew working the Wisconsin/ASU game.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
so what game did Sak do?

Wisconsin/ASU. You may have seen him near the end of the game spotting the ball.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #306
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the well wishes...I'm not quite at the FBS level. I worked Delaware State at #4 Towson this past weekend.

If/when I do move up to FBS, it will be in the ACC. I am a supplemental official for them at the moment.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #307
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

My take of the ASU/Wisconsin ending:

When a player attempts a kneel down the ball is dead by rule. The ASU player who laid on the ball should've got a delay of game penalty. Wisconsin should have had the chance to kick the GW FG because on a defensive delay a game where the opponent is trying to consume time, the game clock would start on the snap.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #308
Logan
Head Coach

Not that it matters because so much got fucked up on that play anyway, but once there were 4 seconds on the clock, the game was over. New rule this year is that you can't spike the ball unless there's 5 seconds or more on the game clock. Any less, and the game ends automatically.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #309
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Not that it matters because so much got fucked up on that play anyway, but once there were 4 seconds on the clock, the game was over. New rule this year is that you can't spike the ball unless there's 5 seconds or more on the game clock. Any less, and the game ends automatically.

What is the point of this rule?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #310
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yep. But I think there were 15 seconds or so when Stave went down. Assuming the refs do their job, there would have been plenty of time before the clock ticked below 4 seconds for them to spike the ball.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #311
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
What is the point of this rule?

To eliminate home-cooking from scoreboard operators.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #312
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yep. But I think there were 15 seconds or so when Stave went down. Assuming the refs do their job, there would have been plenty of time before the clock ticked below 4 seconds for them to spike the ball.

Agreed. My point was that once we saw 4 seconds on the clock, the game was over even if they could have gotten the snap/spike off.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #313
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Just for clarification the rule states that you have to have 3 or more seconds on the clock to spike the ball.

Quote:
ARTICLE 5. a. If the game clock is stopped and will start on the referee’s signal with three or more seconds remaining in the quarter, the offense may reasonably expect to throw the ball directly to the ground (Rule 7-3-2-e) and have enough time for another play.

b. With two seconds or one second on the game clock there is enough time for only one play. (A.R. 3.3.5.I)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #314
Butter
Coordinator

The next time I shed a tear for Wisconsin getting hosed will be the first time.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #315
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry about that...I was going off a Rutgers practice account when the players were blasted for not clocking the ball at 5 seconds. In reading it again, the instruction was to clock it at 5 to remove any potential ambiguity.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #316
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Just for clarification the rule states that you have to have 3 or more seconds on the clock to spike the ball.

So if the clock is not stopped....

Is the time "limit" based on snap time?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #317
Logan
Head Coach

Time on clock when the ball is snapped, is how I understood it. But I've been wrong already .
Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #318
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Mini thread jack here, but I thought you guys might know:

When the NCAA goes to a playoff next year, will post-season stats be included for things like season records?

I guess I just wonder how they'll handle things like a guy on Indiana (a Randal El type guy), not qualifying for the post-season, but getting passed in stats during the post-season for season and career records.

Does that make sense?
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #319
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Mini thread jack here, but I thought you guys might know:

When the NCAA goes to a playoff next year, will post-season stats be included for things like season records?

I guess I just wonder how they'll handle things like a guy on Indiana (a Randal El type guy), not qualifying for the post-season, but getting passed in stats during the post-season for season and career records.

Does that make sense?

My guess is they will count but they won't do anything for players in previous years. Didn't the NCAA change the rules a few years ago on bowl games counting for official records but didn't add bowl stats for players in previous seasons?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #320
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
My guess is they will count but they won't do anything for players in previous years. Didn't the NCAA change the rules a few years ago on bowl games counting for official records but didn't add bowl stats for players in previous seasons?

That's correct, although I don't know about past players.

The issue with a tournament, is that some guys will play an extra 4 games...or maybe that's just 2? I dunno how it's being laid out actually.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #321
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

From NCAA site:

Postseason Records and Statistics
Postseason contests including conference and/or NCAA tournaments, or bowl games in football, shall be included in the official records and statistics for all sports.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #322
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

The issue with a tournament, is that some guys will play an extra 4 games...or maybe that's just 2? I dunno how it's being laid out actually.

The NCAA doesn't count Barry Sanders bowl game in his single season rushing TD record. If they didn't even go back and add bowl games for past players when they changed that rule I really can't see them doing anything for past players here.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #323
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

It's just a 4 team "playoff" for now. You do see guys in FCS and D2/D3 playing 16 games and setting records occasionally. The Colgate running back a few years ago had 450 carries for 2326 yards in 16 games and is listed as the single season leader.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #324
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hilarious stuff. Someone's obviously been holding this clip for just the right time to bury Pelini. He's under a lot of fire right now, so that person couldn't have picked a better time.

Bo Pelini On Nebraska Fans: "Fuck You, Fans. Fuck All Of You."
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #325
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Used to be that way, but not currently. That was a Pac-12 crew.

For clarification. This all comes down to contracts. When teams schedule home and homes out of conference they arbitrate who will supply and compensate officials.

Its why for example ACC refs called the Clemson uga game in Clemson and ACC refs will call rje Clemson SC game in Columbia this year.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #326
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

That makes me feel all better...not. Not suprising the pac 12 came out and reprimanded refs for failure to referee the last 18 seconds of the game.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #327
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Hilarious stuff. Someone's obviously been holding this clip for just the right time to bury Pelini. He's under a lot of fire right now, so that person couldn't have picked a better time.

Bo Pelini On Nebraska Fans: "Fuck You, Fans. Fuck All Of You."
Let me just take this moment to admit I was wrong about Nebraska and Bo Pelini being ready to become an elite program again. Sure seemed like they were on the verge in 2010, but he just can't turn to corner from good to great, and the fact he's a raging douchebag makes it really easy to root against him ever getting there.

Nebraska fans deserve better.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #328
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I'll add just to this real quick.

I'm biased, I was there too.

The refs screwed up at the end, the screwed up all over the place in that game. It was poorly officiated and calls were missed on both sides (effecting the score for both teams if you "assume" the drives and attempts would have continued as is "normal" in those situations) Hey we even got hosed by B10 refs in Wisconsin in 2010...it sucks but it's not the 1st time it's happened (Colorado 5th down, Syracuse/Tulane 2011 and the missed FG call that was reviewed) and it won't be the last sad to say. Blame also goes a bit on Wisconsin QB/OL and Head Coach, IMO. The players didn't have a real urgency to them to quickly snap the ball and go for it and the Coach really should have kicked the FG with about 30 seconds or so left in the game and never let it get this far, but he was getting kinda cute at the end. Anyhow the best way to settle it is both teams make it to the Rose Bowl and do it on the field
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #329
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
So if the clock is not stopped....

Is the time "limit" based on snap time?

Yessir. If the ball is snapped with 3 seconds or more the offense can spike the ball and get one more play off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
For clarification. This all comes down to contracts. When teams schedule home and homes out of conference they arbitrate who will supply and compensate officials.

Its why for example ACC refs called the Clemson uga game in Clemson and ACC refs will call rje Clemson SC game in Columbia this year.

Georgia/GT has the opposite. The Bulldogs don't want ACC officials doing games at Athens so last year was the last year (in the contract) to have the away team's refs do the game.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #330
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Blame also goes a bit on Wisconsin QB/OL and Head Coach, IMO. The players didn't have a real urgency to them to quickly snap the ball and go for it)

Kinda hard to do when somebody is laying on the ball for 8 seconds...