Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #1451
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, all Iowa is good for is the initial boost. If you take that away, a win in Iowa is worth about as much as one in Kansas or Mississippi. It's also the main chance for a liberal candidate to get traction. After Iowa, you get New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina - not exactly a hotbed for leftist candidates.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #1452
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Momentum matters a lot. 538 indicated that a win in Iowa is worth quite a bit. And if it turns out it's as rumored: Sanders-Buttigieg 1-2 and Biden was a distant 4th, then the race would be completely changed... if there wasn't this snafu. Now Biden can claim Iowa was screwed up so no one look at it and Buttigieg is denied a bump (esp after he claimed victory and it seems like Sanders may actually be the winner).

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd be screaming that this screwup was done deliberately (via cybersecurity breach or something) to bury Biden's disastrous finish and diminish the Sanders bounce.

I mean, I'm not, but I wouldn't be surprised if like 30 years from now, a story came out outlining something like that happened.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Old 02-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #1453
Izulde
Head Coach

Results due out at 4 PM CST according to Iowa Dem Party chairman.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #1454
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was always aware of the Iowa Caucus, but, until this year, I was never really aware of just how it worked. Now that I am, I hate it. It's stupid. It seems like one of those things that people keep doing just because that's how it's always been done.

They should just have a primary like normal people and get over themselves.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #1455
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, all Iowa is good for is the initial boost. If you take that away, a win in Iowa is worth about as much as one in Kansas or Mississippi. It's also the main chance for a liberal candidate to get traction. After Iowa, you get New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina - not exactly a hotbed for leftist candidates.

I mean Sanders was in the lead in both New Hampshire and Nevada according to polling, so not sure they aren't that good for leftists....

And Iowa tends to be where moderates (or Midwesterners) win over leftists a lot.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #1456
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I was always aware of the Iowa Caucus, but, until this year, I was never really aware of just how it worked. Now that I am, I hate it. It's stupid. It seems like one of those things that people keep doing just because that's how it's always been done.

They should just have a primary like normal people and get over themselves.

I think all caucuses should die in a fire (I think Nevada's is a caucus as well). Telling people to hang out for a few hours and try to get supporters of other candidates to walk over to your side seems like torture.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #1457
bronconick
College Starter

Supposedly, Nevada uses the same App for their caucus. That should go over well.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #1458
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Back In the pre social media days caucuses had their place. It was tons of back room dealing, and if you got one of your guys in as the precinct chairman, you won.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
Old 02-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #1459
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Results due out at 4 PM CST according to Iowa Dem Party chairman.

Partial results.

Which is a dumber idea than waiting until they are complete.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #1460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Next debate is Friday... that's going to be saucy
Old 02-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #1461
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Deep state got it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #1462
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Come debate time, every time the Dem nominee brings up some massive government program and promises the world, Trump will say that they can't even count votes. And that will resonate with people.

I was telling my wife the same thing. This D party f up in Iowa will be regularly referred too by a Trump.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #1463
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I was telling my wife the same thing. This D party f up in Iowa will be regularly referred too by a Trump.

Way too much credit. H can't even remember the names of all his kids.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 02-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1464
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Supposedly, Nevada uses the same App for their caucus. That should go over well.

Not anymore.

Reuters on Twitter: "Nevada Democratic Party says Iowa's caucus reporting app and developer will not be used during the state's February 22nd caucuses, the party chair says… https://t.co/pV5NtRUaLo"
Old 02-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #1465
Izulde
Head Coach

It's still gonna be a royal pain in the ass. I miss living in a primary state.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #1466
molson
General Manager

I wonder what things are like at the Shadow Inc., offices today.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #1467
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Trump will just make shit up that's worse than this anyway. It really doesn't matter what the facts are as far as how Trump attacks everything around him.

Its a huge embarrassment and in an election where the dems need big turnout especially from younger people anything that erodes confidence in the process is a disaster, I'm extremely concerned about this. But I'm not worried in the slightest about giving Trump ammunition.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #1468
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pt II
People who have campaigned around that truism and banked on it are going to be absolutely screwed by the lack of media coverage. Most likely it's Pete Buttigieg who gets hurt the most, while the early reports of Biden underperforming hugely means his candidacy gets an inherent boost from the lack of coverage.

That's a fair point, but I think it's a pretty outdated one at this stage. Politicians are nowhere near as dependent on the media as they were say, 20 years ago when this would have been a much more important thing. IMO any candidate who is focused on that in 2020 is already shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #1469
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Haha, well they're not working out of DC WeWork anymore because I suspect all of them were working remote anyway. But surely their Slack channel is hell.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #1470
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Old 02-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #1471
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That's a fair point, but I think it's a pretty outdated one at this stage. Politicians are nowhere near as dependent on the media as they were say, 20 years ago when this would have been a much more important thing. IMO any candidate who is focused on that in 2020 is already shooting themselves in the foot.

Much smarter people than I think that the Iowa bump is hugely important. As in a 30%+ increase/decrease in a candidates chances to win the Primary. As I think iSiddiqui posted on the last page, fivethirtyeight has been looking at a ton of data; they seem to think Iowa is pretty much the only reason someone like Buttigieg even has a legitimate shot at the primary.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #1472
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Much smarter people than I think that the Iowa bump is hugely important. As in a 30%+ increase/decrease in a candidates chances to win the Primary. As I think iSiddiqui posted on the last page, fivethirtyeight has been looking at a ton of data; they seem to think Iowa is pretty much the only reason someone like Buttigieg even has a legitimate shot at the primary.

Right. Nate Silver even wrote a post about it last night:

Iowa Might Have Screwed Up The Whole Nomination Process | FiveThirtyEight

You'll note that Iowa's bounce is the second highest potential bounce after Super Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #1473
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Here is Nate Cohn (apparently it's only 62% of the precincts, which what?!):

Buttigieg 26.9
Sanders 25.1
Warren 18
Biden 15

edit: hold up, 538 said that's the first alignment vote... which isn't the final. This is so damned confusing.

edit2: apparently Sanders wins the first alignment and final alignment in terms of people, but Buttigieg has more delegate equivalents (that's going to go over well on Twitter)? It's still 62% of the vote though.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-04-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #1474
Izulde
Head Coach

1st Alignment
Sanders 24
Buttigeg 21
Warren 19
Biden 15
Klob 13

Post-Alignment
Sanders 26
Buttigieg 25
Warren 21
Biden 13
Klob 12

State Delegate Equivalent
Buttigieg 27
Sanders 25
Warren 18
Biden 16
Klob 13

w/62% precincts in

Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #1475
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully the 38% fixes it, but Bernie having more votes but less delegates is sure going to make the internet fun the next few days.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #1476
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
1st Alignment
Sanders 24
Buttigeg 21
Warren 19
Biden 15
Klob 13

Post-Alignment
Sanders 26
Buttigieg 25
Warren 21
Biden 13
Klob 12

State Delegate Equivalent
Buttigieg 27
Sanders 25
Warren 18
Biden 16
Klob 13

w/62% precincts in

And Yang is #6 with 1.1, a dramatic drop off from #5.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #1477
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Hopefully the 38% fixes it, but Bernie having more votes but less delegates is sure going to make the internet fun the next few days.
Ummmm...why on EARTH would any rational person want the 38% to fix it???

Old 02-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #1478
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

For a party that wants to get rid of the electoral college in favor of just the popular vote, the Democrats do like their caucuses crazily complicated
Old 02-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #1479
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ben, you must not know any Bernie supporters in real life.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #1480
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ben, you must not know any Bernie supporters in real life.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Oh, I do. One dude in particular is a very recent* former member of my church. 20something. During the Prayers Of The People, probably twice a month he'd pray aloud against the military-industrial complex that controls our nation. Dude is a piece of work.

*-They moved recently--his wife is going to grad school.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-04-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #1481
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pt II

This is one of the rare cases where fivethirtyeight gets into missing the forest for the trees IMO. Since 1976, the winner of Iowa in contested primaries has lost almost as often as they've won (10 of 18 times). When you also consider that most of them didn't take place in anything resembling the modern media age of social media and the internet, and the fact that there's a large bias towards the first state being predictive in the sense that usually the 'best' (as determined by the electorate) candidates are likely to do better everywhere, and that there have sometimes been prohibitive front-runners to up the numbers as well, anything close to 30% is just unjustified as far as I'm concerned. It still matters, it's still important - but anything above 10% I would consider an extreme stretch. Headlines like 'screwed up the whole nomination process' are unfortunate clickbait, and by the way also not well-supported by the article itself.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:23 AM   #1482
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Way too much credit. H can't even remember the names of all his kids.

Naw, he'll remember the general details. He'll just get the state wrong.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-05-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:43 AM   #1483
GrantDawg

Quote:

Packing boxes, sending out Resumes.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #1484
GrantDawg

Quote:
This is one of the rare cases where fivethirtyeight gets into missing the forest for the trees IMO. Since 1976, the winner of Iowa in contested primaries has lost almost as often as they've won (10 of 18 times). When you also consider that most of them didn't take place in anything resembling the modern media age of social media and the internet, and the fact that there's a large bias towards the first state being predictive in the sense that usually the 'best' (as determined by the electorate) candidates are likely to do better everywhere, and that there have sometimes been prohibitive front-runners to up the numbers as well, anything close to 30% is just unjustified as far as I'm concerned. It still matters, it's still important - but anything above 10% I would consider an extreme stretch. Headlines like 'screwed up the whole nomination process' are unfortunate clickbait, and by the way also not well-supported by the article itself.

Iowa made Obama's candidacy. Iowa being the first real vote, gives a much better picture of who can compete and who can't. It has a better influence than polls, because it is a real vote. It will also affect fund-raising. Do better than expected, more money comes in, but do worse, your campaign is in real trouble. That is where the bump comes from. Especially the money part, because the number one reason candidates drop out is money.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:11 AM   #1485
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good lord I wonder after that surprising 4th place finish if Biden is dead in the water and especially with Bloomberg aka Thurston Howell III likely taking some of his moderate voters away. Are we seriously going to run a card caring full bait socialist against Cheeto? Now I am wondering high Trump runs after Dad wins 2020.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-05-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #1486
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So, do the "Anyone but Bernie" folks in the Dem establishment jump onto Buttigieg, or do they wait until after NH to see the lay of the land?

I know nothing (and I am horrible at predicting this stuff), but I could see a concerted effort to consolidate the anti-Bernie vote behind one candidate before Super Tuesday.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #1487
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Oh, I do. One dude in particular is a very recent* former member of my church. 20something. During the Prayers Of The People, probably twice a month he'd pray aloud against the military-industrial complex that controls our nation. Dude is a piece of work.

I don't think I've used the phrase "military-industrial complex" since Bush was in office.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #1488
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So, do the "Anyone but Bernie" folks in the Dem establishment jump onto Buttigieg, or do they wait until after NH to see the lay of the land?

*South Carolina

Buttigieg has been polling terrible with Latines (heavy in Nevada) and African-Americans (heavy in SC). There is a chance that he just peaks with Iowa and/or New Hampshire. It would be silly to dump money into a candidate that may crash and burn before the month is up.

But you have to imagine that Buttigieg is raking in the money right now and is more viable than he would have been if he finished 3rd in Iowa (which would have likely functionally ended his campaign)
Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #1489
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Talking to them can be banging your head against the wall, ESPECIALLY when they are convinced there was a conspiracy against them. I still have Bernie fans randomly bring up 2016 (even, or maybe because, knowing I was a massive Hillary supporter).

Quote:

Buttigieg is now more relevant because he one of the top 2 in Iowa. However his bump may be far less due to the nutty reporting. If Iowa went off without a hitch, Buttigieg is probably going to be in the Top 3 in New Hampshire and Biden is on his way out. Now, with everything muddled, its far less of a bump for Buttigieg and less against Biden (who's playing the everything was so messed up you can't rely on the numbers).
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #1490
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
For a party that wants to get rid of the electoral college in favor of just the popular vote, the Democrats do like their caucuses crazily complicated

Old 02-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #1491
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the Iowa Caucus setup is perfect for a candidate like Bernie. To win in the Caucus, you need:
1. Supporters who prefer their candidate enough to take a day off work (check)
2. Supporters who love to sit in a room for 4-5 hours and argue (check)
3. Supporters willing to bully people into submission to get a chance at one more vote (double check)

I'm not surprised a candidate like Biden didn't do well in this setup. The irony of this is that Bernie is not only going to miss out on the bump because of this fiasco, but he's also going to trial in delegates after it. It's also not like we didn't have advance notice of this in Iowa. Remember in 2012 for the Republican primary, they announced Romney as the winner - then two weeks later said Santorum actually won. Then, five months later, they changed course again and said Ron Paul won. What a mess this whole process is!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #1492
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't think I've used the phrase "military-industrial complex" since Bush was in office.
You should have seen what an absolute jerkweed he was on Facebook this past spring when our pastor's wife posted a "proud mama" post announcing that their son had won a full Naval ROTC schollie to UNC. I'll see if I can dig it up at some point, but my recollection is something along the lines of "I pray that he will see from the inside the evil of our military-industrial complex and be an agent of change, but I fear that he will be corrupted by them and buy into their lies."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-05-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #1493
Ben E Lou

I found it much more quickly than I thought I could..

First post...

Quote:
The desire for Heroic triumph over "evil" is the main cause of objective Evil in the world. Remember that when you are giving and receiving orders, {name of kid}
A church member called him out with "wow...I’m dumbfounded. How about just congratulations or...just don’t post anything at all. Not everything should be a pulpit for you."
His response to that?
Quote:
There is a sea of congratulations. He can decide who he wants to listen to.

Besides, this will come as no surprise to {kid's name}, as we have talked about it extensively. If he thinks it is the right decision for him to join the death cult, then my voice of dissent in the sea of adulation won't make a lick of difference.

But if one young man can be spared the burden of a crippled conscience for the rest of his days, then that is well worth the voicing of dissent.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #1494
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The naming is bizarre. The whole thing is bizarre. It's like they want to attract conspiracy theories.

Shadow Inc itself was launched by ACRONYM. Although ACRONYM is now denying this even though past images of their web page says otherwise. For a company that is suppose to be social media gurus, they should know it's near impossible to delete stuff from the internet.

Several presidential campaigns gave these guys money for their peer-to-peer app. Isn't there about million of those out there already?

The Iowa Democratic party allegedly paid $60,000 for the famous failed app. Give me a weekend and I could've whipped up website that could've tallied the votes for you.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #1495
molson
General Manager

Mayor Pete is just so impressive when you look back at some of the forgotten candidates and their qualifications and political accomplishments. I don't understand how he's gotten to this point. I do know he has a presence that he just surprises people with when he meets them, I've heard that story from many who have.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #1496
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think Pete can win given his almost total lack of support from people of color, but his strategy has been solid. He's hoping early wins propel him to growing support. That probably won't work, but whether other path could he have taken that would have been more successful?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #1497
RainMaker
General Manager

Pete has a chance because he's the establishment choice now that Biden looks to be too old for the job. What the Democratic Party is doing to Bernie in Iowa is why Pete is viable.

He'll have a tough time in a general because of what he did in Michigan. And the lack of support from minorities will crush him too. But that's Democrats for you, allergic to winning.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #1498
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Reading that Iowa spent $60,000 on that app.....that'll get you close to half of the salary for one competent developer in this day and age.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-05-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #1499
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Reading that Iowa spent $60,000 on that app.....that'll get you close to half of the salary for one competent developer in this day and age.

I read two payments for 60 each. Which either way, screams "we outsourced this to the cheapest offshore dev team we could find".

And they got what they paid for.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #1500
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I read two payments for 60 each. Which either way, screams "we outsourced this to the cheapest offshore dev team we could find".

And they got what they paid for.

In this case it was outsourced by Dem campaign grifters that didn't have a clue about software development.