Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #651
MJ4H
Coordinator

I've noticed a trend of increasing usage of "bias" for "biased."
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #652
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

When I check in for a flight from home and then still have to wait at the airport check in to give someone my bags. Wtf is the point of pre checking in online.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #653
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
When I check in for a flight from home and then still have to wait at the airport check in to give someone my bags. Wtf is the point of pre checking in online.

Because if the flight is oversold. The airline ranks passengers by ticket price to start, then by time of check in within the same group. If you are unfortunate enough to have bought the cheapest ticket and checked in last you could be denied boarding. You want to check in as early as possible for your flight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #654
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I cant stand when people stop in the metro ticket line and wait... and wait, for the gate to close, before putting their cards down. there are 100 people behind you, it will flash dont worry!

also hate when tourists stop at the top or bottom of escalators, move out of the way THEN stop. or even better, visit NY not DC

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #655
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Because if the flight is oversold. The airline ranks passengers by ticket price to start, then by time of check in within the same group. If you are unfortunate enough to have bought the cheapest ticket and checked in last you could be denied boarding. You want to check in as early as possible for your flight.

I always check in early as possible. My point was more they should have had curbside or a specific desk/ agent for people who just need to drop off bags. Instead I get stuck waiting behind all the idiots who have no clue how the process of getting on an airplane works.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #656
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
I cant stand when people stop in the metro ticket line and wait... and wait, for the gate to close, before putting their cards down. there are 100 people behind you, it will flash dont worry!

also hate when tourists stop at the top or bottom of escalators, move out of the way THEN stop. or even better, visit NY not DC

You're going to get down on the tourists in DC who don't know what they're doing? They're, well, tourists...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I like it because I occasionally get to move to a better seat. Not nearly as much lately, tho, as they keep monetizing better seats.

SI

Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #658
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Fat women.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #659
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
dominant / dominate is becoming nearly suicide-inducingly painful to read from the general populous.

I wouldn't be surprised if I've posted this same issue in the thread. It feels like it's becoming accepted English at this point, and it hurts me bad.

Is dominant/dominate anything like populace/populous?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #660
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Is dominant/dominate anything like populace/populous?

Rarely, since the gang who can't handle the former pairing have no use for the latter pairing. But sure, it's the same flaw, and hits the same nerve.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #661
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Pet Peeve of the Day:

The fact that all retirement calculators determine how much you will need in retirement based entirely off your current income. Such a lazy and inaccurate assumption.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #662
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Pet Peeve of the Day:

The fact that all retirement calculators determine how much you will need in retirement based entirely off your current income. Such a lazy and inaccurate assumption.

Yeah, it's just kindof nutty: "How much do you want?!? $1M, right?!?" Never mind that $1M then will be worth significantly less than now due to inflation

SI

Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #663
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Pet Peeve of the Day:

Calculators I've used all have a % increase per year adjustor. Not that I trust it any more than if it didn't. I max out and don't think about it. I'm hoping I'll appreciate it when the time comes.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-07-2014 at 11:27 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #664
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Even standard inflation models don't really account for the increased costs in certain areas. For example, if you eat a lot of beef the prices have basically increased like 50% or more in the psst year or so. Whereas overall inflation is not that significant. I suppose the good news is, though, that if you eat a lot if beef you'll probably die quicker.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #665
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Even standard inflation models don't really account for the increased costs in certain areas. For example, if you eat a lot of beef the prices have basically increased like 50% or more in the psst year or so. Whereas overall inflation is not that significant. I suppose the good news is, though, that if you eat a lot if beef you'll probably die quicker.

They have? I could get Ribeye on sale for $5.99 last year and still can this year.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #666
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
...if you eat a lot if beef you'll probably die quicker.

Challenge accepted.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #667
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

People that buy 5.99 ribeyes. Why do they have to exist?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #668
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
People that buy 5.99 ribeyes. Why do they have to exist?

Ribeyes? You mean the most awesome piece of beef in the world?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #669
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Ribeyes? You mean the most awesome piece of beef in the world?

I hate ribeyes. I order one and the person with me orders one, mine is all fat and theirs is delicious.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #670
Easy Mac

If there is an adult sitting nearby and I can hear them smacking their gum, I'm legally allowed to punch them in the face, right?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #671
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I got a new one. I didn't know this was a pet peeve of mine until today. I was at the grocery store and I started to pull into a parking spot, when a guy pulled all the way through from the other side.

As annoying as this is, I have had this happen to me before...

Then as I was pulling further down the parking lot, I see in my rearview mirror, the guy that pulled through, actually pull out of the spot and head to the exit of the parking log. He used the open spot as a pull thru....
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #672
QuikSand
lolzcat

...when people refer to a vacuum cleaner as a "vacuum."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #673
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Especially if they call it a vac-you-um
Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #674
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
If there is an adult sitting nearby and I can hear them smacking their gum, I'm legally allowed to punch them in the face, right?

Yes, unless you play professional sports. Then you have to call him "coach".
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #675
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
...when people refer to a vacuum cleaner as a "vacuum."

Also when people call an automobile an "auto". Or a plane? Hello, it's an airplane!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #676
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I hate it when people above the age of 5 use "blast off" for a rocket launch. I REALLY hate it when "space journalists" do it.

NO. It's LIFTOFF or Launch.

Drives me nuts.

Probably only me and others in my industry.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #677
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I hate it when people above the age of 5 use "blast off" for a rocket launch. I REALLY hate it when "space journalists" do it.

NO. It's LIFTOFF or Launch.

Drives me nuts.

Probably only me and others in my industry.

/tk

I love it. You don't want to know how much I love it ...
Old 09-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #678
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I drive a company car, which is a great perk, and have my corporate car for gas, etc...

When I put gas in it I am required to enter in my driver ID and mileage, I hate pumps that require putting in my ID first then the mileage. I can only store the mileage number in my memory so long and it always screws my up when I have to enter in my 6 digit ID number first.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #679
timmae
College Starter

Thought of this thread on my way in this morning and then I see Lathum's bump... sweet!

I agree Lathum... not sure why they don't think through the process before applying the order of required info. I'd boycott that brand/station

Here's my pet peeve of the morning...

When you are in a left lane turning left at an intersection (or right lane turning right) there is absolutely no need for you to start to veer out of your dedicated lane into the adjacent lane to start your turn early. For 99.999% of the intersections there will be enough room for you to begin your turn after you have cleared the curb/planter/posts,etc. I know you are probably one of the bumbling fools who have hit the 6" curb with your back tire so you think it is better to veer right a little bit to turn left. But you know what... I am travelling past you as you make your maneuver and really don't want to have to make sure I leave a few additional feet for you and still make sure that I don't hit the 10 ton bus in the right lane I need to steer clear of.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #680
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Thought of this thread on my way in this morning and then I see Lathum's bump... sweet!

I agree Lathum... not sure why they don't think through the process before applying the order of required info. I'd boycott that brand/station

When you are in a left lane turning left at an intersection (or right lane turning right) there is absolutely no need for you to start to veer out of your dedicated lane into the adjacent lane to start your turn early. For 99.999% of the intersections there will be enough room for you to begin your turn after you have cleared the curb/planter/posts,etc. I know you are probably one of the bumbling fools who have hit the 6" curb with your back tire so you think it is better to veer right a little bit to turn left. But you know what... I am travelling past you as you make your maneuver and really don't want to have to make sure I leave a few additional feet for you and still make sure that I don't hit the 10 ton bus in the right lane I need to steer clear of.

lol

This happened to me over the weekend and some idiot almost crushed me.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #681
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gas pumps that don't have the click thing to keep it filling. I get maybe if it's a state law but I've seen wild variances across my state. I try to make a mental note of places to avoid but sometimes I invariably will find myself at a new place and I'll be pissed. Do not want the extended hand contact with something the unwashed masses have also touched.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #682
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post

+1000000

Turning the wheel completely, and slowing down to a normal speed to make the turn, is too much work! Much easier to veer right to turn left...this way I don't have to strain my arms so much!

What did people do before power steering?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #683
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gas pumps that don't have the click thing to keep it filling. I get maybe if it's a state law but I've seen wild variances across my state. I try to make a mental note of places to avoid but sometimes I invariably will find myself at a new place and I'll be pissed. Do not want the extended hand contact with something the unwashed masses have also touched.

One of the most annoying things for me when I moved to Massachusetts in 1999 is that it actually is a state law that gas stations are not allowed to have the hold open clips. So you won't (or at least shouldn't) see them at any gas station in this state.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #684
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Pumpy might still visit on occasion, might want to edit that last line.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #685
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

People who just are very bright. The following is a summary of a series of phone conversations and emails between my boss and I over the course of this week:

* names, products, and other details changed to protect the innocent

Dumb Boss: Can you you provide me the # of widgets ordered for all of last fiscal year?

Suburban Rhythm How do you want that broken out? Just # of units total? Units by Vendor? Revenue by vendor? revenue by vendor by month?

DB Revenue. Units don't really matter.

SR By total? By month? By vendor? By vendor by month?

DB The average month per vendor

...time passes, report provided...

DB This isn't what we were looking for.

SR OK? That's the revenue for the year, divided by 12.

DB Yeah...not what we need

SR OK...that's an average, no?

...time passes...

DB We need billed units....but not non-billed units

SR Huh?

DB Like if there were 500 units for a month, how many were for each vendor? Then divide the units by revenue

SR So the # of units IS important? And dividing units by revenue makes no sense. Revenue by units, maybe.

DB Just looking for how many units were in each month. What's the average by month?

SR So revenue isn't relevent? Just a count of units?

DB Right

Why do I know the last thing I sent is coming back...again?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #686
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

People who answer their phones just to tell you they can't talk. That's what voicemail is for asshole.

People who don't have their voicemail box set up
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #687
RainMaker
General Manager

There are areas at stadiums or malls where people move to get from one place to another. I hate when people just come to a complete stop in the middle of these walkways and everyone behind them has to veer around them. If you need to stop to talk on your phone or something, step to the side by the wall and stop holding up the flow.

Is it me or are there more people out there than ever that just don't give a shit about other people?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #688
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is it me or are there more people out there than ever that just don't give a shit about other people?

I think they don't. People try to say "it's because you're getting older" or whatnot but I think, in general, our society keeps getting bigger so we find ourselves splintered more and more.

SI

Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #689
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There are areas at stadiums or malls where people move to get from one place to another.

{cough}airports{cough}

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #690
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think airports and airplanes bring out the worst in human behavior

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-09-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #691
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think airports and airplanes bring out the worst in human behavior

SI

Yeah, there's nothing like being poked, prodded, delayed, stuffed into a cattle car, treated rudely by staff, fighting for overhead space...I can't imagine why people get grumpy.

Of course, I'm flying first class again this afternoon. It's much more pleasant.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #692
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

I think they don't. People try to say "it's because you're getting older" or whatnot but I think, in general, our society keeps getting bigger so we find ourselves splintered more and more.

SI

I think part of it is we are so tied to technology that we interact less with people.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #693
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't like people who knock on the door instead of ringing the doorbell.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #694
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

If you're gonna write on a lab requisition, for the love of Christ WRITE NORMAL! I don't wanna see your stupid calligraphy, this isn't a fucking art class.

There, glad I got that off my chest lol. People... write normal, I don't wanna see your fancy letters, it's hard to bill shit properly IF I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HELL YOU WROTE!!!

My pet peeve for today
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #695
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't like people who knock on the door instead of ringing the doorbell.

Oops, Im guilty of that. I guess since a lot of the houses I visit the doorbells dont work, so now I just knock :-\
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #696
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

In a TOTAL #firstworldproblem, I makes me annoyed when Starbucks people don't know what a "skinny" drink is. My normal order is a quad venti skinny caramel or skinny vanilla latte...and in the last month, almost all of them have had one or the other "skinny" part screwed up.

ETA: "skinny" was on their own boards for awhile, to get customers used to it. But I get skim milk maybe half the time and full-sugar syrup almost always. It's not that I care about either, calorie-wise (though I probably should) but I legitimately prefer the taste of the SF syrups and with my antibiotics lately, I've been having issues with dairy in general, fuller fat is worse.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 11-13-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #697
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did they write "iristen"* on your cup?

*Kristin with an I
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #698
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

People who pull up past the solid line at a red light making it almost impossible to make a left turn.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #699
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
People who pull up past the solid line at a red light making it almost impossible to make a left turn.

If that someone is in a red GMC Sierra, it isn't me, I swear.

That said, I don't think I have ever stuck my nose out far enough to be an issue.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #700
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Did they write "iristen"* on your cup?

*Kristin with an I

That would be awesome, that would actually make my day!

/tk