Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

weird issue (affects CCFL/WOOF/USFL)

I can't get to my own freaking site, but both my ISP and web host are saying they can, so no one is offering any real support. Will a few of you try out these links?

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/ccfl/ben/home.php

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/.../ownerlist.php

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

no workee.

Edit: if it helps - Cox cable, Toano, VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 09-26-2010 at 05:57 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

No dice here either. RCN - Chicago, IL
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Thanks. I've pointed my hosting provider to this thread, and to Flasch's about the USFL not working.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

But definitely some are getting there. Someone uploaded a CCFL file after this problem began for me.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Apparently you can't copy and paste from tracert in win 7.

Anyways - it gets to 69.16.135.202 and then can't get any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

No go from Verizon in NJ either.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

If some are able to get to it, it seems like a DNS issue. Did you recently switch hosts or anything?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

No change in hosts in 9 years, no change in service plan in a year and half. It was working for me just fine around 5:15 or so. I did some non-web FOF stuff, then came back a little before 6 to post the IHOF TC results, and couldn't get there then. I *can* access phpmyadmin and FTP.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

What's even more odd is that someone accessed the site and uploaded a CCFL export *after* I couldn't get there, so I guess that lends more credence to both the ISP and host saying that they could get there just fine.

09/26/10 05:59:40 -- zerowolf has uploaded file ccflccfl.021

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-26-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Ticket 2476615
Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
twothree
College Prospect

Something might be wrong with the tubes.

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
Something might be wrong with the tubes.

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm
never used that site. How does that compare to normal?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
never used that site. How does that compare to normal?

Not really familiar with that site but Atlanta is showing 100% packet loss right now, which can't be a good thing. If your ISP doesn't have to go through that server, that may be why they can see it fine.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
twothree
College Prospect

I don't know what it is like compared to normal. I don't usually look at the site. I believe you can ignore all the routers that have an index of "0", since their history shows them like that for the past 24 hours.

However, I have seen some of the green index numbers turn yellow, so there might be problems somewhere.

Sorry, maybe that wasn't a very helpful site for the problem.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah...can't connect from Buffalo, NY on Verizon.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Apparently you can't copy and paste from tracert in win 7.

Anyways - it gets to 69.16.135.202 and then can't get any further.

That is what I also see using this site

University of Washington Traceroute Gateway

and typing in younglifenorthdekalb.com
Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
twothree
College Prospect

Maybe this information will help.

"Younglifenorthdekalb.com is delegated to two name servers, however both delegated name servers are missing in the zone and two other name servers are listed instead and the IP:s of the listed name servers differ. The primary name server is ns1.aplus.net. Incoming mail for younglifenorthdekalb.com is handled by three mail servers at carrierzone.com. All three of them are on the same IP network. younglifenorthdekalb.com has one IP number (216.55.184.110)."

It reads like something is wrong, but I am no network engineer.

The info was obtained at younglifenorthdekalb.com
Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
zdub
n00b

Quote:
What's even more odd is that someone accessed the site and uploaded a CCFL export *after* I couldn't get there, so I guess that lends more credence to both the ISP and host saying that they could get there just fine.

09/26/10 05:59:40 -- zerowolf has uploaded file ccflccfl.021

Hey Ben, it's Zerowolf. I waited until last minute to make roster/gameplan changes. I tried to upload and the link wouldn't open. Finally it opened, I uploaded, then it went down again. Don't know if that helps. Glad I got my upload in! I'm crashing for a couple hourse before kickoffs start. Hope you get it worked out.
zdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #20
twothree
College Prospect

There is also a bunch of other information, most of it way beyond my ability to understand, located by clicking on the tabs on that web page.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
azjoe_02
High School JV

In Arizona and I can't get through to any of them either...
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
Ben E Lou

At least the response was fast, albeit cryptic. Anyone have idea freaking idea what this means???

Quote:
Hello Benjamin,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support!

The ticket # 2476619 that was submitted for younglifenorthdekalb.com, regarding your website issue, has returned from our investigation. It has been determined that the website IP address is incorrect. Please change your blank, www and ftp A record to IP address: 64.29.151.221

Once changed, please allow up to 24 hours for the changes to take effect and your website to display online.

We have now closed the ticket with regards to this issue. If you do require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be glad continue working with you.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sounds like your site was either moved to a new server or site.

EDIT: But going to that IP directly doesn't seem to return what I would expect. Weird.

EDIT #2: If your IP was changed then I would think that they would have to notify you prior to it happening...have you rec'd anything from them recently about any changes coming down the line?

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 09-26-2010 at 09:17 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
At least the response was fast, albeit cryptic. Anyone have idea freaking idea what this means???

Uhhh... the ticket number does not match the ticket number you posted earlier...

Maybe that email was meant for someone else?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #25
Icy
Pro Starter

The answer that support gave you means that you must change the ip in your dns servers (in case you admin them). It seems they have either moved your sites to another server or changed the server ip address.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #26
Ben E Lou

2 ticket numbers because 2 cases.

Icy, a little help on how I do that. Names4ever has my dns stuff. I don't think I have changed that it the 9+ years I have had the domain, and I do not see anthing in the cp there matching the stuff thay have mentioned in the support response.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Ben, there has to be a portion of the admin utility that deals with the address of your site(s) as that's the only way they can point the world to your website.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Neither worked for me from Comcast in Seattle
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Ben, there has to be a portion of the admin utility that deals with the address of your site(s) as that's the only way they can point the world to your website.
What would it be here? There's nothign that says anything about "blank, www and ftp A record".
Attached Images
File Type: png screenie.PNG (34.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-26-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Agreed, that doesn't seem to be helpful at all...but your IP info has to be somewhere on that site.

I'm heading out to swim lessons with my girls, I'll be back in an hour, I can try and help you out when I get back.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #31
Ben E Lou

Thanks, and no prob. I'm also on the phone with customer service. The tech I'm talking so says that this should have been changed a *year* ago (by them) with the big upgrade they did, and it wasn't somehow. These changes now reside somewhere in the actual aplus.net platform, so the above page from names4ever is obsolete. I see where it is now, but since they were supposed to have fixed it, I'm going to let them do it, then act the fool.

Side note: I've found that acting the fool works best when one isn't really upset, and can just have fun with it. (I will unquestionably use the line "The only currency I have with my users is my credibility, and you have damaged it beyond repair.") If all goes well, the leagues using my stuff may get to skip next year's donation campaign.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
Ben E Lou

Heh. She isn't exaggerating. Many of the folders on my server are dated the day they moved everything: 10/04/09. I would guess that they gave themselves a week for everything to repopulate before they moved it.

I guess my question is this: "how the heck has this worked for a year???"
Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #33
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks, and no prob. I'm also on the phone with customer service. The tech I'm talking so says that this should have been changed a *year* ago (by them) with the big upgrade they did, and it wasn't somehow. These changes now reside somewhere in the actual aplus.net platform, so the above page from names4ever is obsolete. I see where it is now, but since they were supposed to have fixed it, I'm going to let them do it, then act the fool.

Side note: I've found that acting the fool works best when one isn't really upset, and can just have fun with it. (I will unquestionably use the line "The only currency I have with my users is my credibility, and you have damaged it beyond repair.") If all goes well, the leagues using my stuff may get to skip next year's donation campaign.

Um...wow...so they have had this server up and running for over a year for what purpose? Other than backups..this is just crazy...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #34
Ben E Lou

I *think* they're saying that most everyone else had their IP changed, but mine wasn't, and the old pointer worked for a year and expired/shut down/something this morning.

Regardless, tech support admitted that it's their fault and is fixing it themselves. Time to call customer support and act the fool.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #35
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

Can't get to the site here in California either.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #36
twothree
College Prospect

I can now access the site.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #37
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Glad they got this sorted out.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #38
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I had a similar issue with a work website. The host launched a new server, copied everything to new server, sent updated IP info to users to move their DNS info ... except, they didn't send the updated IP info to me. They took six months before shutting down the old server, which is when I discovered the move.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote