Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #251
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the NFL is pushing for a complete ban on blocks below the waist for next year, according to Peter King.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #252
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Looks like the NFL is pushing for a complete ban on blocks below the waist for next year, according to Peter King.

Should serve as a heads up for anyone who owns Arian Foster in a dynasty fantasy football league.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #253
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just going to create more QB injuries, as most RB's are incapable of blocking a pass rusher and can only slow them down by going low.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #254
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Just going to create more QB injuries, as most RB's are incapable of blocking a pass rusher and can only slow them down by going low.

Going to need to go back to the old ways and actually have blocking full backs again..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #255
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Going to need to go back to the old ways and actually have blocking full backs again..

That and having TE's who can actually block. I don't see the change happening because it would slow offenses down, unless they outlaw blitzing.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #256
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Maybe the idea is to slow offenses down a little. They have a lot of advantages over the defense these days, so throwing the D a bone doesn't seem like too bad of an idea to me.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #257
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Maybe the idea is to slow offenses down a little. They have a lot of advantages over the defense these days, so throwing the D a bone doesn't seem like too bad of an idea to me.

Less scoring means less time on SportsCenter. So I doubt the NFL is looking to slow down offenses.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #258
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Outstanding news!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #259
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Just like the defenders, the RBs would have to adjust, no?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #260
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
This was I was getting at a page or so ago. How is this not just a simple delay of game? 5 yards, 10 second run-off if late in the game. How is this such a terrible foul that we don't want to get the play right? Sure, penalize Schwartz for the foul but get the play right and THEN penalize him.

It was put in place so a team can't delay the next snap with a penalty in hopes that the replay booth will have enough time to look at the play and call down for a replay (ex. jumping offsides when the offense is rushing up to the line after a questionable catch in the 2 minute drill). It makes no sense for the rule to come into play after a score where the replay officials can have as long as they want to look at a play before deciding whether or not to review it (and as the rule is written I'd say it should not).

Last edited by mckerney : 11-24-2012 at 01:56 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #261
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Do the refs bear any of the responsibility for the fucked-up way that this played out? In terms of not doing the common-sense thing?

I'd say so.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #262
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Do the refs bear any of the responsibility for the fucked-up way that this played out? In terms of not doing the common-sense thing?

I'd say so.

They aren't paid to do the common-sense thing, they're paid to follow the rule book.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #263
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It was put in place so a team can't delay the next snap with a penalty in hopes that the replay booth will have enough time to look at the play and call down for a replay (ex. jumping offsides when the offense is rushing up to the line after a questionable catch in the 2 minute drill). It makes no sense for the rule to come into play after a score where the replay officials can have as long as they want to look at a play before deciding whether or not to review it (and as the rule is written I'd say it should not).

Yeah, but why have that? Why do we WANT teams to be able to rush up and run the next play so we DON'T have time to get the play call right? If I'm willing to get a delay of game and give up the 5 yards, why not let me? I mean, I'm delaying the game ... literally ... so why not call it that? Is this too many question marks? Is it?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #264
Masked
College Starter

It's basically a don't be an ass rule for the coaches. The play is guaranteed to be review, so the only reason for the coach to throw the flag is to argure or campaign with the ref. I don't mind harsh penalties for a violation of a don't be an ass rule.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #265
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
It's basically a don't be an ass rule for the coaches. The play is guaranteed to be review, so the only reason for the coach to throw the flag is to argure or campaign with the ref. I don't mind harsh penalties for a violation of a don't be an ass rule.

I'm not sure I'm getting you. Are you saying the punishment fit the crime here?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #266
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I'd say so.

No, refs did the right thing. Rule needs to be changed
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #267
molson
General Manager

For the entertainment aspect, I kind of like the idea of a rule that's only purpose is to make dumb coaches occasionally blow games for their team. I mean, we could all bet on who's going to do this next (if they don't change the rule).

Last edited by molson : 11-24-2012 at 03:49 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #268
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd say so.

The failure to make an obvious call is pretty laughable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #269
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The failure to make an obvious call is pretty laughable.

If those were replacement ref's, ESPN would've given them the business.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #270
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Still trying to figure out how the Giants are 3 point favorites against the PAckers tonight
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #271
kingfc22
Head Coach

I have no clue what to expect from the Niners today.

They've been remarkably inconsistent and now are likely turning to Kaepernick which is a move I don't 100% back just yet. It's not like Smith was leading a .500 team the past two seasons.

The Saints are incredibly hot right now and hopefully they are looking ahead to ATL on Thursday. One can hope...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #272
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm with you. And I have the unenviable decision of starting Dalton or Kaepernick on my fantasy team today. Hard to think he'd do any worse against the NFL's worst defense than he did against the Bears, but he's young, and the Saints have had some tape to work with.

I think if he's cleared, the 49ers should start Alex.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #273
frnk55
High School Varsity

Can the Browns get it done today against Charlie Batch?? He reminds me of Jessie Orosco. Been around forever it seems.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #274
korme
Go Reds

Anybody got a good Bengals feed
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #275
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I have no clue what to expect from the Niners today.

They've been remarkably inconsistent and now are likely turning to Kaepernick which is a move I don't 100% back just yet. It's not like Smith was leading a .500 team the past two seasons.

The Saints are incredibly hot right now and hopefully they are looking ahead to ATL on Thursday. One can hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm with you. And I have the unenviable decision of starting Dalton or Kaepernick on my fantasy team today. Hard to think he'd do any worse against the NFL's worst defense than he did against the Bears, but he's young, and the Saints have had some tape to work with.

I think if he's cleared, the 49ers should start Alex.

Very ususual situation. Some would argue that he gotten too many chances in his career however now that he is a solid NFL quarterback and leading a very good NFL team he gets sent to the pine in kind of an odd situation. I think Kaepernick working as kind of a change of pace option worked great for them and Im not understanding why Harbaugh thought a change was needed at this time.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #276
frnk55
High School Varsity

I get the Denver/Chefs game! Now to make it better Derdorf is doing the game. Double wammy!!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #277
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Anybody got a good Bengals feed

Check your PMs
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #278
BillJasper
Pro Starter

You wonder how much better Jacksonville would be if they'd given Gabbert the hook earlier in the year?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #279
sabotai
General Manager

LOL @ Jay Cutler

(stiff armed a defender as he was going out of bounds, and then thought it was a good idea to toss the ball at him. 15 yard taunting flag on him.)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #280
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Marshall going to the Hester School of Running, turning a 6 yard gain into a 7 yard loss as he runs backwards.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #281
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how the Browns trained these pigeons to screw with the Steelers?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #282
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Dumb pass interference calls continue by the refs I see. Marshall pushes his defender away and Winfield gets flagged and the ball goes on the 1 yard line..... Its getting so bad that we should just start letting all things go except for throwing someone down. And flopping gets flagged, too

Last edited by mauchow : 11-25-2012 at 01:08 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #283
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'll say this for Ponder - he has that gutless "throw the ball away falling down to avoid the sack" move down.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #284
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Dumb pass interference calls continue by the refs I see. Marshall pushes his defender away and Winfield gets flagged and the ball goes on the 1 yard line..... Its getting so bad that we should just start letting all things go except for throwing someone down. And flopping gets flagged, too

Agree! So many yards exchange hands on such a ridiculous penalty that refs cant even call right. Completely unfair to the defense this call is.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #285
mckerney
Coordinator

That was probably the nicest looking throw I've ever seen Ponder make. Didn't know he could put that kind of zip on it downfield. Maybe he'll throw manage to throw one of those to a teammate in the future.

Having a QB must be nice. Never thought I'd be this jealous of a team that had Jay Cutler at QB.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #286
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

What a freakin' catch by Spaeth.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #287
kingfc22
Head Coach

Dennis Allen has to get canned this week, right???
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #288
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That was one hell of a shank by Bryant for the Falcons
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #289
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nice gameplan Vikings.

Run AP and the Bears will be running away from him by the end of the game instead lets air it out with Ponder.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #290
mckerney
Coordinator

You'd think a QB would be able to complete a pass to someone downfield when he's constantly seeing 8 in the box.

Fuck Christian Ponder.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #291
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Check your PMs

Hit me up if you get back.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #292
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Sent
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #293
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The sprinklers sum up the last decade-and-a-half in Miami pretty well.

Last edited by BillJasper : 11-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #294
mckerney
Coordinator

Was gonna say when they originally said the play was confirmed that it looked like the Bears got screwed, this should be overturned.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #295
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
The sprinklers sum up the last decade-and-a-half in Miami pretty well.

What, did sprinklers come on during the game? I saw that in a HS soccer game one time, and no one onsite had a key to turn them off, so they had to call of the game right then and there.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #296
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
You'd think a QB would be able to complete a pass to someone downfield when he's constantly seeing 8 in the box.

Fuck Christian Ponder.
Yup, and just think he'll be the qb for a few more years yet.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #297
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was having such a good time at BWW that I didn't want the game to end. Sorry.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #298
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Yup, and just think he'll be the qb for a few more years yet.

God I hope not. The Wilfs better clear out the front office and coaching staff after this season and bring in someone who's competent and not tied to Ponder. They've been fairly incompetent on the football side of things since they bought the team, hopefully they'll actually try now that they have a stadium deal.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-25-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #299
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Terrible defensive holding penalty in the Atlanta-Tampa Bay game to give the Falcons a 1st and Goal. Still not sold on Atlanta, seems they need the officials to hand them games.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a shameful performance by batch and the Steelers. I guess we couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the Bears last year.