Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2024, 03:24 PM   #2151
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

It’s a tough thing. I had a friend that showed me his Robinhood account with almost $300k in it during the GameStop squeeze. I don’t think I ever would have had the stomach for it, but he listened to one guy on YouTube and made a killing.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:42 AM   #2152
Edward64
Head Coach

I called up Fidelity this morning for basic account maintenance.

It asked for SSN and then it said "MyVoice" had been verified before transferring me to a human. My first thought was that is pretty cool. And my second thought was, wait a minute, scams are being done with AI generated voice nowadays.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:30 AM   #2153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You actually provided your SSN over phone?

And a legit company asked for it?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:38 AM   #2154
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You actually provided your SSN over phone?

And a legit company asked for it?

I called Fidelity Investments so I knew it was legit.

Heck, everyone’s got my SSN (but not mothers maiden name or name of first pet)
Old 04-01-2024, 10:48 AM   #2155
Ksyrup

Got it, yes. Asked for it as verification... I've never heard of that, ever. I've been asked to give the last 4 numbers of my SSN. I've been asked to give a full credit card number. Never been asked for my full SSN though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-01-2024, 11:21 AM   #2156
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh sorry. I misspoke, yes it was just the last 4 digits (and then voice verified).
Old 04-01-2024, 11:59 AM   #2157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know that no one could have seen this coming but Trump media is down 25% so far today. All the maga dopes who bought in at the peak are never getting their money back.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:19 PM   #2158
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I read somewhere that it has more demand for shorting than almost any stock in history (that wasn't already officially going bankrupt).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #2159
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I know that no one could have seen this coming but Trump media is down 25% so far today. All the maga dopes who bought in at the peak are never getting their money back.

Wait for the "Thanks Joe Biden" posts that will be coming shortly. It never happens if Joe wasn't driving the economy into the ground.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #2160
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
The Russian's and Saudi's that were backing much of the money that was invested are really not all that interested in getting their money back through that stock. They have other longer term interests they are expecting to pay off.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:55 PM   #2161
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The "silent majority" were trying to Gamestop it. It went from a high of $79 to $48 and dropping today. Still way too high. That company is bleeding money.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:38 PM   #2162
Ksyrup

I thought I read that 6 months ago, they publicly stated they weren't sure they could continue as a going concern. I'm sure Maria Bartiromo highly recommends it as a BUY.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #2163
RainMaker
General Manager

I wouldn't take much from the stock price. It's mostly just a way to legalize bribery from businesses and foreign countries.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:53 PM   #2164
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I thought I read that 6 months ago, they publicly stated they weren't sure they could continue as a going concern. I'm sure Maria Bartiromo highly recommends it as a BUY.

I have wondered if Maria really believes what she spouts or if she's doing it to help her career. Either way, it's unfortunate. I liked her in the early morning CNBC show.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:38 AM   #2165
Ksyrup

This phenomenon of people openly wishing the stock market death is just so amazing to me. Even in a country as polarized as ours, you would think that people would not want to knowingly inflict self-harm. Yet that's where we are. I've seen it on social media, where people are crapping on the stock market's performance as "propped up by Biden administration lies."

My own mother, a Trumper, has multiple times stated that she has no idea why the stock market is this good, but that she hopes it falls to where "it should be" so people don't give Biden credit for it. This is not someone who is 40 and 2 decades away from retirement, who can endure some short-term ill-wishing on the market because they'll be good by the 2040s when they consider retiring and Trump is in his 6th term. This is someone who is 75 and 10 years into retirement, directly drawing funds out of her investments to fucking live on - with a brain-damaged spouse who likely is going to need more care (and money to pay for it) sooner than later!

I just can't, as the kids say.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-02-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:50 AM   #2166
Corny_1
n00b

Your mother's perspective highlights the complexity of the situation, where personal beliefs can override practical considerations, impacting not only individuals but also their loved ones and their loved ones loved ones financial security... gotta love living in this day and age..
Corny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:07 PM   #2167
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Tangent, but I kinda/sorta hope a 75-year-old's retirement funds are not sitting in equities....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:14 AM   #2168
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Tangent, but I kinda/sorta hope a 75-year-old's retirement funds are not sitting in equities....
That's usually not the best strategy for that age. But if you ask someone that age, I bet they are a little upset they aren't in equities. The S&P is up 30% over the past 12 months and 10% in 2024 already.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM   #2169
Ksyrup

My brother recently spoke with their advisor and made some changes to their funds, but I didn't get the details.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:42 PM   #2170
Edward64
Head Coach

There are differing rules of thumb about how much should be invested in equities vs bonds/fixed income. The 100 - age is one. There are also pretty reputable mutual funds that go with approx 60-40 for a more steady 6-8% growth target.

It comes down to numerous factors such as level of wealth, risk tolerance, availability of other income sources, expected life expectancy etc.

Personally, assuming retiree is not just living off social security, I would never go 100% into bonds/fixed income. I think 60-40 or 70-30 is a nice balance.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:34 PM   #2171
Edward64
Head Coach

WTF today? Nasdaq up +1% around noon and closes down -1.4%.

EDIT: the r/wsb is blaming this guy

Quote:
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Neel Kashkari said interest-rate cuts may not be needed this year if progress on inflation stalls, especially if the economy remains robust.

“In March I had jotted down two rate cuts this year if inflation continues to fall back towards our 2% target,” Kashkari said in a virtual event on Thursday. “If we continue to see inflation moving sideways, then that would make me question whether we needed to do those rate cuts at all.”

Who they say looks like this guy Arnold Vosloo from the Mummy. Had a good chuckle, I can see the resemblance if I squint, the bald head and the nose.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-05-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM   #2172
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
WTF today? Nasdaq up +1% around noon and closes down -1.4%.

Don't worry, the stock market is back up today!

Well except for Trump Media, that's down another 9%.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:01 PM   #2173
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well except for Trump Media, that's down another 9%.

That's a darn shame!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:25 AM   #2174
Edward64
Head Coach

CPI just a tad higher than expected but I think most people now believe rate cuts will be pushed to Q3, and with the possibility that will be pushed even further. Doesn't help Joe.

According to graphic in link, biggest culprit for year-over-year increase is

Here’s the good news in a troubling inflation report
Quote:
  • Auto Insurance 22.2%
  • Rent 5.7%
  • Housing 4.7%
  • Restaurant Meals 4.2%
  • Personal Care 4.2%
  • Earnings 4.1%
  • Transportation 4.0
  • Overall Inflation 3.5%

Interestingly, for those declining
  • New Vehicles -0.1%
  • Used Vehicles -2.2%

I don't understand why Auto Insurance is the big outlier. I wonder if its because the big insurers are jacking up auto rates to make up for the losses in the other areas like Home insurance.

Housing made me check Zillow and it says my home price has gone up 2% in the past 30 days. Not going to complain but that's just ridiculous for boring suburbia north of Atlanta.

For new cars, my baseline is checking Truecar on base model Corolla. Market average is -8.4% of MSRP which is better than the deal I got last Dec.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-11-2024 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:44 AM   #2175
GrantDawg

Auto insurance has just gotten ridiculous. Another industry crying poor while reporting record profits.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:08 AM   #2176
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
CPI just a tad higher than expected but I think most people now believe rate cuts will be pushed to Q3, and with the possibility that will be pushed even further. Doesn't help Joe.

According to graphic in link, biggest culprit for year-over-year increase is

Here’s the good news in a troubling inflation report

I don't understand why Auto Insurance is the big outlier. I wonder if its because the big insurers are jacking up auto rates to make up for the losses in the other areas like Home insurance.

Housing made me check Zillow and it says my home price has gone up 2% in the past 30 days. Not going to complain but that's just ridiculous for boring suburbia north of Atlanta.

For new cars, my baseline is checking Truecar on base model Corolla. Market average is -8.4% of MSRP which is better than the deal I got last Dec.
My wife is an insurance agent and a ton of things are coming into play. Insurers are still trying to get some of the "covid rebates" back they gave when people weren't driving. Repair costs have also increased a ton with all the advanced tech in cars and they are a little behind reacting to inflation. My wife convinced me to get a CRV in February of 2020 (right before covid) and it has been a great move. That car is one of the cheapest to insure out there.

Last edited by Arles : 04-12-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:36 PM   #2177
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just signed the lease on a 2024 BMW 3 series today. Can't wait to see what happens to my rates!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:23 PM   #2178
Ksyrup

My homeowners rates went up $400 and near as I can tell, it's almost entirely due to the $50K+ increase in the insured value to rebuild.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #2179
Edward64
Head Coach

A great 2-3 days. Not fun

It was doing well this morning but think chatter about/odds Israel responding increased.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:59 PM   #2180
GrantDawg

My home taxes went up by $4K for the second year in a row.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-15-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:02 PM   #2181
Edward64
Head Coach

That means house value went up quite a bit? So that helps the sting
Old 04-15-2024, 03:09 PM   #2182
GrantDawg

Quote:
That means house value went up quite a bit? So that helps the sting
Yes, and I can't argue the valuation. It still doesn't help pay the bill though.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:26 PM   #2183
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yes, and I can't argue the valuation. It still doesn't help pay the bill though.

As Joe says ... "take the win".
Old 04-15-2024, 07:47 PM   #2184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
My home taxes went up by $4K for the second year in a row.

Damn. That's People's Republic of Clarke level increases (that's actually more than any single increase we've endured to date tbh)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:07 PM   #2185
GrantDawg

That's because that wasn't the number. I don't why I wrote it that wrong. The evaluation went up $40k for the second year in a row. The bill is not close to $4k.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2024, 03:10 PM   #2186
Edward64
Head Coach

Jerome being the adult in the room. Pretty much agree with the call, inflation is still not tamed. Hopefully, the markets won't be too disappointed, go thru the acceptance process, and accept the new reality of no cut probably until after elections at the earliest.

Stock Chart Icon
Quote:
Fed Chair Jerome Powell said the U.S. economy has not seen inflation come back to the central bank’s goal, pointing to the further unlikelihood that interest rate cuts are in the offing anytime soon.

“The recent data have clearly not given us greater confidence, and instead indicate that it’s likely to take longer than expected to achieve that confidence,” he said during a central banking forum.
Quote:
Powell added that until inflation shows more progress, “We can maintain the current level of restriction for as long as needed.”
On other news, DJT down -14% today even with their just announced streaming plan.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:13 PM   #2187
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

On other news, DJT down -14% today even with their just announced streaming plan.

Remove the Trump name and it's a penny stock. There are lot of MAGA people probably losing their life savings trying to prop it up as some weird political statement.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:34 PM   #2188
QuikSand
lolzcat

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000652597951

on topic, good conversation
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:20 AM   #2189
Edward64
Head Coach

Maybe Sep, maybe Dec, maybe Mar 2025.

Would be great if there were 2-3 consecutive reports of CPI/PPE decreasing but my guess is unlikely. Too late to help Joe any, the economy/markets is going to be what it is in Nov.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/17/wall...ntil-2025.html
Quote:
Economists and strategists now see the Fed waiting until at least September to cut interest rates and are increasingly entertaining the possibility of no reductions at all this year.

Bank of America economists said there is a “real risk” that the Fed won’t cut until March 2025 “at the earliest,” though for now they’re still going with a December forecast.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:58 AM   #2190
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Remove the Trump name and it's a penny stock. There are lot of MAGA people probably losing their life savings trying to prop it up as some weird political statement.

DJT was up like 15% yesterday bro.

I know where I'm going to YOLO my savings!
Old 04-18-2024, 08:15 AM   #2191
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

No. It's not MAGA Mom and Pop money from under the mattress.

It's outside groups, likely foreign, getting around the limits on donating to political candidates.

Yesterday was one entity injecting $50,000,000 to keep the price up.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:37 AM   #2192
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
No. It's not MAGA Mom and Pop money from under the mattress.

It's outside groups, likely foreign, getting around the limits on donating to political candidates.

Yesterday was one entity injecting $50,000,000 to keep the price up.

Oh I know in the grand scheme of things that's what happening. There are MAGA people dumping their life savings into this stock though trying to prop it up. They think Trump is a financial genius and that they're going to ride his coattails to riches. Every time they think they're the silent majority and they can make an impact on things like this they get a rude awakening.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:51 AM   #2193
Edward64
Head Coach

Last week was brutal. Markets working through the gyrations of 5 steps of acceptance.

Glad to see the (tech) markets making back about half of it so far this week. Today's futures looks green also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
DJT was up like 15% yesterday bro.

I know where I'm going to YOLO my savings!

On other news, Trump set to be $1.2B richer on paper soon ... but not you.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #2194
Edward64
Head Coach

GDP growing much slower than expected. Personal Consumption rate higher than expected. You guys are drinking too much Crystal Pepsi & Dr. Pepper Coconut!

Quote:
The slower than projected economic growth came alongside a surprisingly high inflation reading. The "core" Personal Consumption Expenditures index, which excludes the volatile food and energy categories, grew by 3.7% in the first quarter, above estimates for 3.4%, and significantly higher than 2% gain seen in the prior quarter.
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM   #2195
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
GDP growing much slower than expected. Personal Consumption rate higher than expected. You guys are drinking too much Crystal Pepsi & Dr. Pepper Coconut!

The S&P 500 is tanking but at least Trump Media is up!

Thanks Joe Biden!