Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #3251
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What's crazy is the video was released by the attorney who is helping the killers. Apparently he was thinking it would help them.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #3252
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

GBI reviewing additional video footage in Ahmaud Arbery case

Quote:
Georgia law allows for a citizen’s arrest in a felony crime committed in one’s presence, said Arora, who is currently a criminal defense attorney in Atlanta. But a citizen can only use reasonable force to detain a person and deadly force cannot be used unless it’s to prevent a forcible felony or for self-defense.

It looks like the guy had entered a under-construction house that day. He walked in and walked out, with nothing stolen. That is at best a misdemeanor. There is nothing that can be construed to justify what these yahoos did. They were in essence trying to kidnap Arbery. That should mean they committed felony murder at a minimum.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #3254
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It looks like the guy had entered a under-construction house that day. He walked in and walked out, with nothing stolen. That is at best a misdemeanor.

Shoot, I've done that a number of times. (Including my own when it was under construction.)
Old 05-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #3255
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I dare Trump to call those 3 "very good people"
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #3256
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I dare Trump to call those 3 "very good people"

They'll be "law abiding" and the DA will be "unreasonable" for pressing charges

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #3257
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Shoot, I've done that a number of times. (Including my own when it was under construction.)

Ditto, did it several times last time we purchased a new home.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #3258
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what is there to steal from a house that hasn't been built ?
Old 05-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #3260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Tools, wire, supplies/materials among other things.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #3261
PilotMan
Head Coach

This one is a very different story. The officer involved was also black, and the man who was killed had exchanged gunfire with the police and was running away, live streaming hoping his buds would pick him up.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #3262
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tools, wire, supplies/materials among other things.

I do not know a single macho guy that leaves their tools out in the open. That stuff gets stolen quicker than anything.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #3263
GrantDawg

Quote:
I do not know a single macho guy that leaves their tools out in the open. That stuff gets stolen quicker than anything.
Sure, but tools still do get left/stolen at times. Usually it is the pipes or wiring. Druggies steal them and can get enough to a fix.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-10-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #3264
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:

Ever watch The Sopranos? They deal with the topic in detail.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #3265
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

These guys deserve to go to prison for the rest of their lives. They could have continued to follow only and direct the police when they arrived. Seems simple enough but they were locked and loaded, out looking for a confrontation, and are totally at fault.

But entering a sight without permission of the builder, if it's a development, or person who the house is being built for? This is normal where you live?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #3266
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's normal where I live. When I was visiting friends on Myrtle Beach in SC, there was a mansion on the beach that was under construction and we just walked in to look about. The friends had no fear about it and even chatted with the construction folks (they weren't working at the time) as they were leaving.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #3267
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, for my development it was a deal where it was maybe 25% of the way built and there were maybe a dozen houses under construction at any given time. I don't know if all the roads were even paved yet.

(Now, that's my development. There was another one which was definitely under construction, but a few more of the houses were finished, if not actually occupied. I strolled around one that was maybe 90% complete. My kids gave me some flak for that [and my wife more later].)
Old 05-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #3268
bronconick
College Starter

I used to look through the next door house being built when I was 11-12. It used to be a forested lot and it was fun to watch it come together.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #3269
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bond denied for Pop and cub.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #3270
GrantDawg

The video of what looks like Arbery in the vacant house is out, and now all the Trumpsters on my facebook timeline are calling for the two to be freed. No surprise.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #3271
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The video of what looks like Arbery in the vacant house is out, and now all the Trumpsters on my facebook timeline are calling for the two to be freed. No surprise.

Because a guy walked into a house, looked around and left empty handed? Something I am pretty sure at least one or two of those 'crusaders' have done in the past.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #3272
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Something about how we know about the "C" Arbery got on his report card in 3rd grade, but these guys are clearly above reproach, never mind the whole "shooting someone in cold blood" thing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #3273
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I watched the GBI presser today. (Short, roughly 20 minutes including Q&A.) The Director confirmed that they're not done, and that the guy who filmed it is being investigated.

Quote:
Dola...

The rumor is it that his job was to help box Arbery in. There’s the sound of what may be him cocking his gun in the video.
Wow. I was expecting some sort of accessory charge. Nope. Murder for the cameraman too.

GBI arrests man who recorded video of Ahmaud Arbery shooting
Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #3274
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Glad they arrested him as well. If only cause they can probably flip him to bury the father son dummies under the prison.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #3275
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow. I was expecting some sort of accessory charge. Nope. Murder for the cameraman too.

oh wow! nice! happy to hear that because there is NO WAY he wasn't involved.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #3276
Edward64
Head Coach

I get maybe doing knee to neck to subdue an uncooperative suspect but the CNN video below showed about a minute where the guy wasn't resisting. I'd like to hear the cop's side of the story but doesn't look good for the cop.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/mi...rnd/index.html

And another one

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneap...kneeling-neck/
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #3277
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shouldn't have watched that video.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #3278
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am always reminded of the contrast with this incident, where a white, naked, murder suspect is allowed to run up to a by-stander and start strangling him, while armed cops do their absolute best to get out of his way :

Naked White Murder Suspect Peacefully Arrested While Resisting | NowThis - YouTube
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:33 AM   #3279
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I am always reminded of the contrast with this incident, where a white, naked, murder suspect is allowed to run up to a by-stander and start strangling him, while armed cops do their absolute best to get out of his way :

Naked White Murder Suspect Peacefully Arrested While Resisting | NowThis - YouTube
that is the funniest video I've ever seen. Little stick naked man running around and no one wants to touch the naked guy since he obviously doesn't have a concealed weapon. Made my night. Thanks.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #3280
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

I had forgotten this about Georgia law, which explains the murder charge: if someone dies in relation to you committing another felony, they can tack on a murder charge. "Criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment" (using the car to try to box him in) is a felony in Georgia.

On another note, if it were at all possible for the cops involved in the George Floyd incident to look worse, the "he was resisting" excuse took a fairly big blow with this surveillance video from a nearby restaurant. (I have it starting right before you can see Floyd.) It shows roughly 3 minutes of him in handcuffs, not resisting, and runs up to the moment he either falls or is pushed to the ground. (Hard to tell which.)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-28-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #3281
bob
College Starter

Things got nasty last night in Minneapolis

#LIVE: Minneapolis Responds To Police Murder of George Floyd - YouTube

Streamable - free video publishing
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #3282
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

I hope the rioters, looters, and arsonists practiced social distancing.

BLM will be BLM.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #3283
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I hope the rioters, looters, and arsonists practiced social distancing.

BLM will be BLM.

This after cops were shooting peaceful protestors with teargas and rubber bullets.

Pigs will be pigs.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #3284
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I had forgotten this about Georgia law, which explains the murder charge: if someone dies in relation to you committing another felony, they can tack on a murder charge. "Criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment" (using the car to try to box him in) is a felony in Georgia.

While I understand that law, I do think it kind of sucks. I remember a story about how two robbers went into a house. The homeowner shot one robber and the other ran away. The one that ran away got charged with murder.

It makes sense in some cases like where the intention was murder and someone was a getaway driver. And I'm not saying others shouldn't be punished. But there is a difference in being there and pulling the trigger. Especially if you had no idea that a murder was going to go down.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #3285
GrantDawg

Georgia felony murder charge can often be misused. I actually testified in a case where it was a gross overcharge. The kid was found guilty because of how broad the law was presented, even though many jurors admitted later they felt it was unjust. It took seven years of appeals before the conviction was overturned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #3286
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
On another note, if it were at all possible for the cops involved in the George Floyd incident to look worse, the "he was resisting" excuse took a fairly big blow with this surveillance video from a nearby restaurant. (I have it starting right before you can see Floyd.) It shows roughly 3 minutes of him in handcuffs, not resisting, and runs up to the moment he either falls or is pushed to the ground. (Hard to tell which.)

I don't know what exactly the police said but I think there may be some confusion in the public over what it means to resist arrest. When people hear that someone was resisting arrest, I think they expect that to involve someone actively pulling away, trying to escape and maybe even throwing punches, etc., when in fact, it can be as simple as lying down.

It is fairly well documented in police use of force models that resistance does not mean that someone is assaultive or aggressive. Furthermore, someone can be actively resistant (ie. pulling away) or even passively resistant (ie. going dead weight or simply refusing to get up and into a vehicle).

In the video, it appears there may be some sort of resistance when Floyd first gets out of the vehicle (around 3:20) and then again when they are trying to put him into the police vehicle (the trip/fall - around 6:10). A few seconds earlier (around 6:06) it appears that he tries to shimmy loose.

If this was the case, or even perceived by the police to be the case (ie. pulling away or dropping down while getting out of the car, trying to shimmy loose, dropping down again whether intentional or perceived to be intentional and/or refusing to get into the vehicle), that would explain the comments that he was "resisting," and is consistent with the language in use of force models.

For this reason, I don't believe that this video is the indictment that many (including the media) are saying it is as it relates to the police comments that he was resisting.

Please don't mistake this however as a commentary on the incident as a whole.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #3287
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

this shit in Minneapolis is nuts. apparently a police precinct has been overrun. Crazy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #3288
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
this shit in Minneapolis is nuts. apparently a police precinct has been overrun. Crazy.

"Peaceful" protesters.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #3289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
"Peaceful" protesters.

do you blame them?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:53 PM   #3290
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I predict that there will be a lot of folks that explicitly use the spectre of government tyranny to prop up their own gun ownership who will be referring to these folks as animals tomorrow.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-28-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #3291
Edward64
Head Coach

I consider myself "pro" police and lean towards giving them the benefit of doubt (especially if the person in question has a rap sheet).

But I can't imagine any rationale for what happened. I didn't see any resistance, sure there may have been "resistance" based on the definition and some words may have been exchanged that we didn't hear, but after watching the available videos, I can't imagine any valid reason why the cop did what he did for that long period of time other than a blatant disregard and ill-placed sense of superiority/power (no, I'm not calling it racism ... yet).

So yeah, that cop should be fired. Not sure I understand or agree with the rationale on the other 3 that were fired though. Yes, the community should be pissed but no, they shouldn't be setting the police station on fire. Go ahead and ask Kapernick and LeBron for money to organize and make changes.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:56 PM   #3292
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
do you blame them?

Yes?
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #3293
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Yes?

then you are part of the problem.

I suggest you read up on the history of our nation and maybe you will become a bit more empathetic.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:06 AM   #3294
thesloppy
Pro Starter

To be fair, I think illinifan999 is an inner-city LEO (sorry if I don't recall that right, or am mixing you up with someone else) and has way more skin in this game than most of us here.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-29-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:06 AM   #3295
BYU 14
Coordinator

There is obviously a problem with training/culture in the Minneapolis/St Paul area PD. Philando Castille, Justine Damond, Lamar Clark and now this. Plus 10 of 30 Police shootings since 2000 involved unarmed perpetrators.

I don't condone the senseless destruction of ones own community and businesses people have put their lives into, but this is a community at their boiling point because shit doesn't change. We have a son in Law enforcement and like the majority of all others in his profession, who do their jobs fairly, professionally and without bias, he has to suffer the backlash because guys like this motherfucker have no business wearing a badge.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-29-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #3296
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
then you are part of the problem.

I suggest you read up on the history of our nation and maybe you will become a bit more empathetic.

It's not okay to murder someone because they resisted just like it's not okay to burn things down because someone was murdered.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #3297
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Luther King, Jr
…I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

So no, I don't blame the rioters either. Minneapolis region has been a hot bed of racist policing. Philandro Castile was shot in a suburb of Minneapolis. When you can't trust your police or legal system at all, why would you follow any laws? My father, an immigrant to this country, once mused he was surprised that black people didn't riot all the time the way they are so badly treated.

I simply can't stand with a racist society and it's racist jackboots over people who have been oppressed.

N.W.A. was right. Fuck the police.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-29-2020 at 12:36 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:15 AM   #3298
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
So yeah, that cop should be fired.

Don’t be too harsh on him!

He needs to be charged with murder, simple as that.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:21 AM   #3299
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Don’t be too harsh on him!

He needs to be charged with murder, simple as that.

Possibly. And maybe manslaughter vs murder.

But I'd let the system play that out.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:40 AM   #3300
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

LIVE VIDEO: Minneapolis police 3rd Precinct building on fire; City asks those in area to move away due to potential gas leak | KSTP.com

yeah right gas leak that's what caused this