Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ping: Runners (Subby/digamma)

I hate running. Always have, never got any enjoyment out of it. Never really particularly been all that good at it either though.

Me and five others did a 5k run back in October for the benefit of Aids. Generally I have the perception of being the "athlete" in the group since I played quite a few sports in high school and well, I pretend to act like I am. Physically I'm in decent enough shape, though a bit on the thin side. For the last year or so most (9/10 days) of my workouts were strength training because I have been trying to gain weight. I am 6ft 145lbs, and really never deviate more than 5 lbs either way.

Since the run was for fundraising and charity, I signed up and thought it would be a fun and unique experience. Especially with a girl running with me which at the time I was trying to impress, I thought this was a brilliant idea on my behalf.

It was a disaster.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was able to jog for about the first mile until I was exhausted and from that point on, mostly walked. I ended up finishing the 5k in, don't laugh, roughly ~40 minutes. I couldn't believe it. My friends were all waiting at the finish line and while their intentions were nice and they were cheering me on to be supportive, I could not help but feel silly over the whole thing. After the run was over, I don't think I had ever been more dissapointed in myself, I had not realized I had gotten this out of shape.

Now I'm motivated. Truth is, even since the 5k, I have not done any cardio training because I was still embarrassed by myself from last October. But recently a few of my friends have talked about running in the Shamrock Shuffle which is a 8k run here in Chicago in March. They've asked me to join, and earlier I declined. But now I can't get the idea out of my head.

Is there a way to not embarrass myself running the 8k come March?

I know it should not matter but I am as competitive as they come and just as stubborn, so I really feel like I want to run this 8k and not finish last. My friends finished the 5k around the 30min mark.

The problem is, I'm not at the point where I can lose any weight either. So I need to find a medium where I can start training cardio and at the same time, try to keep up with my strength training. Is that even possible?

I understand that this all probably sounds dumb and most people reading it will just tell me to get over myself, and I accept it, it does sound silly. But again, I hate losing and I want a chance at redemption. I know there are a few runners on this board and thought it would not hurt to ask for advice.

Any suggestions?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Me and five others did a 5k run back in October for the benefit of Aids.

You heartless bastard. So many people are trying to eradicate the disease, and you're doing a 5k in its BENEFIT?

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

The good news is that it sounds like you have the body for running.

Bad news is that you are at a pretty serious disadvantage if you hate running.

I think that can be overcome, though - particularly if you run with a goal in mind (like the support of Aids, for example ). Folks I know that don't like to run but do it to get in shape swear by their iPods (I never wear them outdoors but will on some long treadmill runs).

Two months is not a lot of time to get ready for a race, but you can certainly improve your fitness to a point where you *should* be able to at least do the entire 8k without feeling like you are 80.

Jeff Galloway (website) is probably the top "beginner running" coach out there and he is a regular contributor to Runner's World. I would spend some time at his web site. He has extremely reasonable 5k and 10k beginner training schedules.

Stick to that. Once you finish a race for which you have trained, I am willing to bet that you'll want to do it again so that you can beat your previous time or just so you can recapture that feeling of crossing the finish line.

Then all of a sudden you'll be a runner!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 01-05-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My guess is that there are professional trainers/runners on board, Neuqua, who can give you specific advice better than I, but I'll offer what I can.

My main exercise is cardio, mostly on treadmills in the gym, but some running outside. I average about 10 miles per workout/run. I recently did a rough guess on the total mileage I have run in the past year and came up with somewhere between 1500-2000 miles.

Now, I have been doing cardio as my main workout for years, and my endurance is pretty good. But I remember when it wasn't all that great. It took some time to build up.

Now, given what you have put out, that a jog of about a mile (1.6 km) got you pooped, I have to tell you that's not a lot of endurance (I know, revelation, huh?). It takes time to build up endurance. I'm not sure if you can properly train yourself to get to the level of endurance you will need for an 8K in two months.

Now, if you set the 8K as a goal and accept you're probably not going to jog it all, but walk some, I still think it's a good idea. It will give you something to work for, a goal to use to motivate yourself to build your endurance.

As for strength training at the same time, it's certainly a good idea but keep in mind, a higher weight works against your endurance. You're going to want to maintain. You will burn a lot of calories if you start running a lot, more than you do strength training, but if you stop the strength training altogether, especially with your body type, my guess is you're going to get pretty "stringy". So definitely keep the strength training up, and up your calorie intake as well, working to maintain your current weight (which sounds like your ideal weight, from your description of your weight loss-gain efforts). Protein shakes might be the way to go with adding calories without significantly adjusting your diet.

Anyway, that's how I would approach it.

I have been giving thoughts myself to running a marathon, but I haven't trained up for that length of race yet.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
The good news is that it sounds like you have the body for running.

Bad news is that you are at a pretty serious disadvantage if you hate running.

I think that can be overcome, though - particularly if you run with a goal in mind (like the support of Aids, for example ). Folks I know that don't like to run but do it to get in shape swear by their iPods (I never wear them outdoors but will on some long treadmill runs).

Two months is not a lot of time to get ready for a race, but you can certainly improve your fitness to a point where you *should* be able to at least do the entire 8k without feeling like you are 80.

Jeff Galloway (website) is probably the top "beginner running" coach out there and he is a regular contributor to Runner's World. I would spend some time at his web site. He has extremely reasonable 5k and 10k beginner training schedules.

Stick to that. Once you finish a race for which you have trained, I am willing to bet that you'll want to do it again so that you can beat your previous time or just so you can recapture that feeling of crossing the finish line.

Then all of a sudden you'll be a runner!

I agree 100% with what Subby said, though I'll admit I was a "dangerous" runner and used music regularly. Actually, back when I could run, I would sometimes listen to various military cadence chants (and chant along with them, if I was running outside), which helped me find a tempo and regulate my breathing. It amazes me how many people forget to breathe when they run, or hold their upper body too tight. Singing/chanting helps with that (though makes you look funny to other runners on the trail).

If you truly are a couch potato right now, the Runner's World Couch to 5k program is always the one I recommend (over the Cool Runnings one), if you're not quite a couch potato, you can jump into the training in the middle there and then adapt it into a 10k training program, which would be perfect for your 8k. The plans outlined at Race Training for Runners: RunnersWorld.com are also useful and may help you get yourself a little more motivated.

Wish I had more to say on motivation. I find that most people need to get out of their head (my best friend does, for sure, when she runs, she starts thinking too much). Since it sounds like you're motivated now, START NOW, but also set milestones for yourself. "Once I hit 3k continuous running, I'm going to buy myself a fancy dinner" or something like that. Treats for yourself. And, let everybody know. That way you can't punk out.

Good luck....
I'm more than happy to answer any other questions, as they come up.
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

Did you wear the ribbon?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I'm a complete novice when it comes to running but I'm with TK on the Couch to 5K training because it truly works. Take it from me, I started it in late September and was able to run 5K in 8 weeks. Since you're not quite a beginner, I'd recommend trying the Gateway to 8K training. It alternates from jogging to walking but it gets you to where you want in 10 weeks. If you have an iTouch or iPhone, there's a nifty application that helps tremendously, you can find it HERE. The nifty thing about the application is that you hear a ding when it's time to move from running to walking. If you don't have an iTouch or iPhone and don't mind the music, go HERE. The playlists give you prompts when it's time to go from walking to running.

All you need is a little dedication and you're set, sounds like you're already motivated. Good luck!!

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-05-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I can't add anything others have but will reiterate finding a training schedule and sticking to it. My wife, who hates running, ran a half marathon this past June. She hadn't run much for distance in the previous 10 years or so. By sticking to the schedule she was able to finish the race in a decent time. It was honestly one of the most proudest I have ever been of her.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

I googled the Shamrock Shuffle and see it's on March 21st. That gives you roughly 11 weeks to start and complete the Gateway to 8K program. It's completely doable. I'm carrying around a lot of weight and am working towards the 8K in 10 weeks. So if I can do it, I've no doubt you can too.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-05-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You heartless bastard. So many people are trying to eradicate the disease, and you're doing a 5k in its BENEFIT?

I'm one of the sick bastards who makes jokes like that, too:

"Why are you running for cancer? It doesn't need any help!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I found running to be a lot more tolerable when I started ripping dvd's to my ipod. In particular, I'm a fan of cartoons or a series I know as it's something light and easy to "watch" where you can listen most of the time.

I run outside but in a neighborhood without much traffic and mainly on sidewalks (where they have them in Richmond) so it's pretty safe as long as you can do a little multitasking.

SI

Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
digamma
Torchbearer

Subby pretty much covered it all. The only thing I'd add is that variety can often help in keeping motivated. Don't run the same route every day. Mix up the type of roommate. Run slow, then run fast. Or don't worry about time at all. Just get out there.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This one time while driving into work i hit a co-worker with my car. I felt so bad that I went to the hospital and visited her. Well at the hospital they found out she had rabies too, which they never would've found if I didn't hit her with my car.

So being the good person that I am, I set up a office wide Run for the Cure of Rabies. That made me feel good about myself.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
This one time while driving into work i hit a co-worker with my car. I felt so bad that I went to the hospital and visited her. Well at the hospital they found out she had rabies too, which they never would've found if I didn't hit her with my car.

So being the good person that I am, I set up a office wide Run for the Cure of Rabies. That made me feel good about myself.

Okay, gotta ask. How the hell did she get rabies?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Brilliant episode.

Back to running, don't mean to threadjack here, but is 10 months enough time to train for a marathon? I've pretty much been voluntold I'm doing one in October. When it comes to cardio, I would say I'm in decent shape. Can do 3 miles between 20-21 minutes, nothing spectacular. Never timed myself after 3 miles, but I believe I can run between 5-7 miles without breaking down, no clue after that. So, do I have enough time to train for a marathon in October? Really just looking to finish, don't really care about the time.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Brilliant episode.

Back to running, don't mean to threadjack here, but is 10 months enough time to train for a marathon? I've pretty much been voluntold I'm doing one in October. When it comes to cardio, I would say I'm in decent shape. Can do 3 miles between 20-21 minutes, nothing spectacular. Never timed myself after 3 miles, but I believe I can run between 5-7 miles without breaking down, no clue after that. So, do I have enough time to train for a marathon in October? Really just looking to finish, don't really care about the time.
Most plans I have seen are 18 weeks in length.

Hal Higdon's site has a great variety (pls note that the snazziness of his site is inversely proportional to his esteem, etc. in the running community).
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Most plans I have seen are 18 weeks in length.

Hal Higdon's site has a great variety (pls note that the snazziness of his site is inversely proportional to his esteem, etc. in the running community).

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Although, according to Hal, I still have about 5 more months to neglect cardio, I like it.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Brilliant episode.

Oh got it, it's from a show. Should have known.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Oh got it, it's from a show. Should have known.

The Office - Fun Run!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

When you're running the 5k, run behind a hot chick and look at her ass the whole way. That motivates you. Seriously.

Anyhow, I think everyone has provided good advice, so I don't have anything else further to add other than running on a treadmill is really boring, so I do math while I'm running. I try to "bank" minutes by setting out to do a 10 minute mile average and bank my minutes by running a 7 minute first mile (bank 3 minutes), and so on for the next miles. I also calculate what percentage I've done as well.

I'd also recommend running slower and consistently over 3.1 miles as opposed to running a 6 minute mile for the first mile and ending up being far more tired running the next 2.1 miles. On the flipside, it's good to run sprints to train your body to run faster and alternate those workouts with LSD (Long Slow Distance).

My two cents.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
When you're running the 5k, run behind a hot chick and look at her ass the whole way. That motivates you. Seriously.

This is true. Between this and the Ipod, I've found the treadmill much more enjoyable.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

Anyhow, I think everyone has provided good advice, so I don't have anything else further to add other than running on a treadmill is really boring, so I do math while I'm running. I try to "bank" minutes by setting out to do a 10 minute mile average and bank my minutes by running a 7 minute first mile (bank 3 minutes), and so on for the next miles. I also calculate what percentage I've done as well.

I'd also recommend running slower and consistently over 3.1 miles as opposed to running a 6 minute mile for the first mile and ending up being far more tired running the next 2.1 miles. On the flipside, it's good to run sprints to train your body to run faster and alternate those workouts with LSD (Long Slow Distance).

My two cents.

lol...I do stuff like this, too. Mental arithmetic, usually based on the readouts on the treadmill in front of me. Surprising how much time it can take away if you give yourself a thorny enough problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
MartinD
High School Varsity

A few (rather random) thoughts:

Consistency of training is very important - to improve, you really need to be training at least every other day. If you start taking more than a couple of days off from running (or other cardio-type activity), you'll start to lose fitness, so there's not much point in going out for a run on Saturday and Sunday, then not doing anything for the rest of the week...

If you're willing to put in the effort of training regularly, it is possible to improve very quickly - a goal of being able to complete an 8k by the middle of March is definitely realistic. The 'beginner' training programs (like those mentioned by Dodgerchick) are a very good place to start - starting off with 'run/walk' allows you to get in more running than you would if you just headed out of the door and ran as far as you could...

As you have a relatively limited time to prepare, it's probably a good idea to concentrate on finishing the race rather than trying to run fast. If you try to go too fast, you're more likely to pick up an injury and may end up reprising your experience from the race in October.

It's probably worth you taking a look at what you eat - not saying that you have to cut out all of the unhealthy stuff, just that you'll be able to run better if you eat the right sort of things before you run (and the right amount of time before you run!)

(While I'm not an expert, I do have a bit of experience in this area - have run three marathons, and am currently training for the London Marathon at the end of April.)
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Brilliant episode.

10 months is plenty of time to prepare for a marathon, if you put in the training, particularly as you appear to have a bit of a base to start from.

Most 18-week marathon training programs assume that you have a reasonable level of fitness when you start, though - for example, the Hal Higdon Novice programs start with this note:

Quote:
PEOPLE DIFFER GREATLY IN ABILITY, but ideally before starting a marathon program, you should have been running about a year. You should be able to comfortably run distances between 3 and 6 miles. You should be training 3-5 days a week, averaging 15-25 miles a week. You should have run an occasional 5-K or 10-K race. It is possible to run a marathon with less of a training base (particularly if you come from another sport), but the higher your fitness level, the easier this 18-week program will be.

From personal experience, the more running you do in training, the less it will hurt during and after the marathon - if you're committed to doing the marathon in October, I'd recommend that you start to build up the amount of running you do now...
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #25
JS19
College Prospect

Well, I'm doing a 50k on Saturday. When my friends and I signed up for this months ago, it seemed like no big deal... we had the whole "have 10 hrs to finish, who can't do that?" mindset. Well, Saturday is almost here and that train of thought is far gone, now I get more nervous with each passing minute. I have in no way been training for this, besides my usual cardio, which consists of 3 miles, 3 times a week. My gameplan is to tough it out for 12 miles or so, and hope that heart can take me the rest of the way.

Anyone here ever do a 50k? From the guys i've talked to who have done this one before, they say it is perhaps the most painful, body draining, soul-crushing experience they have ever encountered. They claim to be out of commission for the next week afterwards.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #26
MartinD
High School Varsity

I haven't done a 50k, but I have run a few marathons (42.2km).

If you are short on training, the best thing to do is concentrate on getting to the finish - take it slow and walk early and often (maybe something like run for 5 minutes, walk for 1?) The faster you go at the start, the harder and more painful it will get towards the end...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #27
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I am 6ft 145lbs, and really never deviate more than 5 lbs either way.

The problem is, I'm not at the point where I can lose any weight either.

You have weight to lose? I think I was 145 when I was 16 and I am just over 5'10" now.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have no interest in running anything more than a 5K (if that, even), but I have been doing regular cardio training to get ready for our adult Huff 'n Puff soccer league that starts in 4 weeks and to get rid of some fat and be in better shape generally. It's tough to get to the gym even 3 times a week with the schedule I've got (forget work, it's the 2 softball teams for my 10 year old (one of which practices 45 minutes away and plays tournaments every other weekend) and t-ball/soccer for the 6 year old), but I've been making it happen whenever I can (including the dreaded 5am sessions). I've been doing 36-minute speed intervals twice a week (alternating 1 minute at 4.5MPH and 1 minute at 9.0MPH at 1.0 incline) and then when I have more time, a 65 minute jog at 6.5-7.0 MPH on Random at level 4 incline (whatever the hell that translates to). I've been mixing in weights, crunches, and push-ups at home on nights I don't run (again, when I have the time). Seems to be working pretty well.

I've considered entering a 5K, but I'm not sure I care enough to do it. I have enough motivation just trying to get in shape, so I'm not sure what the race would do for me other than add anotther thing to my schedule (and probably conflict with one of the girls' games).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Well, I'm doing a 50k on Saturday. When my friends and I signed up for this months ago, it seemed like no big deal... we had the whole "have 10 hrs to finish, who can't do that?" mindset. Well, Saturday is almost here and that train of thought is far gone, now I get more nervous with each passing minute. I have in no way been training for this, besides my usual cardio, which consists of 3 miles, 3 times a week. My gameplan is to tough it out for 12 miles or so, and hope that heart can take me the rest of the way.

Anyone here ever do a 50k? From the guys i've talked to who have done this one before, they say it is perhaps the most painful, body draining, soul-crushing experience they have ever encountered. They claim to be out of commission for the next week afterwards.
Best of luck. I have done a few marathons with little to no training. My time sucked, but I finished. The key is to go out SLOW and take frequent walk breaks. 50k is thirty miles so try and break it up into sections. Maybe the best way to do it is 10 three mile sections (since that is the distance you normally run). Just knock 'em off, one after the other.

Ultras are the greatest invention in the history of running - particularly when they take place on trails. Hopefully your 50 is off of the road, but if it isn't try and run on the shoulder where the landing is a little softer.

Let us know how you do!

Last edited by Subby : 05-06-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
Alf
Pro Starter

Running guys here at work, do get out every single day for a one hour training (various stuff), and they do now run long distance. Even the mediocre one of them did run a 100km lately in about 11 hours and was working the day after. And he is not looking particularly athletic.

It's all about repetition and praticing on a regular basis as MartinD said.

Edit : now you got me motivated for the half marathon in Rennes which comes in Mid October. I usually run the 10km, but never been motivated enough to train on a regular basis to go for the half marathon. I should try that.

Thanks for bringing up the topic

Last edited by Alf : 05-06-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #31
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am having to run sprints to pass the FIFA referee fitness test. It is not fun.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #32
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Ultras are the greatest invention in the history of running - particularly when they take place on trails. Hopefully your 50 is off of the road, but if it isn't try and run on the shoulder where the landing is a little softer.

Let us know how you do!

Most certainly is off road, which is the part that has me worried. There is a 10 hr limit, so figure 31 miles, 3.1 mph, sounds doable. Granted, I would like to put in more of an effort than a walk, but I would at least feel comfortable knowing I can finish. However, this trail has almost 10,000 feet of elevation change, with an elevation gain of almost 5,000 feet. The elevation chart they provide looks pretty intense, so I really have no idea what to expect.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #33
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Awesome. Never done a 50K, but trail races can be more difficult than they first appear. Don't be afraid to walk steep hills.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

My wife and I are running our first mini this Saturday at the Indy 500 Festival's Mini.

Should be fun.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #35
Subby
lolzcat

You don't really have a choice about the inclines. You will be walking them

Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #36
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
You don't really have a choice about the inclines. You will be walking them

Well, you don't have a choice, Subby.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #37
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I greatly admire those who train for marathons, it's an incredible amount of dedication. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a 50K... wow!!

Best of luck JS.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #38
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
I greatly admire those who train for marathons, it's an incredible amount of dedication. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a 50K... wow!!

Best of luck JS.

Ultras - for people who think that a marathon just isn't quite hard enough...
Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #39
JS19
College Prospect

Well, finished up the 50k at 4:10 PM today, a whopping 9 hours and 10 minutes after starting (max time allowed was 10 hrs). Not gonna lie, times may not be pretty, but I'm pretty proud my friends and I were able to finish, consider none of trained whatsoever for this. Speaking of which, I'm not entirely sure how you would train. This race had absolutely nothing to do with your cardio, just how much of a beating your legs can take. To clarify, I would classify this as more of an obstacle course/trail run, being that it was through a mountain. For us, guys who aren't "seasoned runners", the inclines were just far too much, not a chance in hell you can run them (little did I know, this is considered North Faces hardest endurance challenge on the East Coast). The terrain was unreal, had a mix of grass (which felt like heaven), but just as much straight bedrock (just straight football sized rocks one after the other), as well as mud and creeks. There was one point where my buddy and I were following the markers and it led to a cliff, we were like "what the efff?". Our other buddy, who ran this last yr, was about 50 ft back. When he caught up, he said "yup, we gotta go up". We literally had to climb the thing, it was pretty intense. The aid stations were a huge help, they had PBJ sandwiches, cookies, mms, chips, electrolyte packs, water and such. Overall, running it was pretty miserable, but managable. It's the feeling afterwards that sucks. I'm in a great deal of pain now, can't imagine what the next few days will be like. Anyhow, it was a great feeling of accomplishment, and if it's something you're interested in, I would recommend it to everyone.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #40
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Awesome. Never done a 50K, but trail races can be more difficult than they first appear. Don't be afraid to walk steep hills.

I completely underestimated the trail. I thought it would just be a nice little trail through the woods, boy was I wrong.

To the contrary, after looking at these inclines, I was afraid just thinking about running up them. We walked up and ran down them, but some of the down hills were so rocky we couldn't even do that.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #41
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

!!!

wow mad props for finishing, what an accomplishment
Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Update- so how did the next few days go?

Also, how do you run/walk something like that? I mean, usually once I've stopped running after running for a while- I really don't feel like starting back up. But across the course of 30 miles, I'm definitely not going to be able to run the whole thing so how do you start back up?

SI

Old 11-11-2023, 02:29 PM   #43
korme
Go Reds

Hi guys. Anyone still running these days?

This year, I ran my first race (10K) in May and similar to Neuqua, it was a struggle. I had the same expectations (I was an athlete, I got this ) - but ended up walking the majority of the back half.

After that, I would sign up for 5Ks about once every 2 months and kind of do it for fun, while mixing in some jogging throughout my neighborhood. Not enough to train for these races at all, in hindsight.

Only recently, like, say, the past month, I've gotten really serious about it. I'm doing a 75 Day Challenge, where one of the requirements is 45 min of exercise a day. I fill that time up running or jogging, or walking.

I'm on day 13. Yesterday I walked one mile, ran 3 miles, and then walked/ran the last two. I can definitely tell my endurance is picking up and I'm learning things on my own, like keeping a pace that won't fatigue me too early, and such. I was having IT band issues when I would just randomly run a race without training, but now that I'm consistently exercising, that pain seems to have dissipated.

Here's a few random questions I have:
1. Should I be taking days off? Focus on another kind of exercise once a week or something? I'm not sore or anything, nothing I can't push through.
2. My Apple Watch tells me my VO2 Max is embarrassingly low. Below average. I'm 6 foot and I just clocked in at 144.2 lbs. Whats the deal, man?
3. Am I doing it wrong by doing this walk-run-walk trend I've been doing? Would it be better to just suck it up and run the entire time, even if I go at a slower place?
4. Should I just watch a YT video and shut up?

Last edited by korme : 11-11-2023 at 02:34 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:52 PM   #44
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

bro, you need to ask someone to move this out of the archive lol
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote