Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #151
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Ok, so I've been throwing around a few ideas for a league name. We have two members outside of the US, and I think even those of us stateside are spread out pretty well. With that in mind, here's what I have so far...

IFL - International Football League (a bit too close to IHOF though, another FOFC league...though it's FOF based)
WWFL - World Wide Football League
WFL - World Football League
TFL - Trout Football League (just because...)
NOFL - Night Owl Football League (this was one of the FOFC dynasties I was in for NCAA '09...in fact I won the NC one time)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other ideas?

NOFL works for me.

Just throwing this out there...something like FACC...FOFC Atlantic Coast Conference or the "F" could stand for "fake".
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #152
Groundhog
Coordinator

I kinda dig FACC.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #153
bighouserulez
H.S. Freshman Team

H FACC gets 2nd vote for me

GML is a league that is you as a GM and a GM only
http://www.fof-gml.com/forum/register.php?do=addmember

vNFL and House have the forum that shares knowledge and asks for players to constantly challenge thinking in fof.
http://www.bearsruletheworld.com/vnfl/
bighouserulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #154
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

We'll be advancing tonight gentlemen. I'm at the in-laws right now, but I expect to get home between 11pm and 1am EST so that's when I'll push us to Week 4.

Thanks for getting everything done so promptly.

PS: I like the FACC too...three votes is good enough for me!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #155
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Rough game for me today against WVU. I feel like I did okay defensively (although I gave up more points than I'm comfortable with), but their defense just made it virtually impossible for me to move the ball at all, so I ended up losing 26-10 (although it was only 23-10 till they kicked a FG as time expired - assholes).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #156
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FACC is good.

Sorry I didn't get my game in earlier this week - between all the work I've had to do and then being out of town one day and all, it was a rough week for gaming time. In fact, i hadn't turned my PS3 on all week until today.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #157
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

No worries DT. You've been keeping me in the loop, which is the most important thing.

Just for everyone's info, if you expect to have an especially busy week, please try to drop me a line or post in here so I know you intend on getting your game in near or at the deadline. There's nothing wrong (at all) with playing your game on the last day, as long as you're not going AWOL the other four days. Last year we had a couple people *coughpumpycough* who were consistently late and would never tell anyone...ever. That hasn't happened here so far, and I hope that trend continues . We have a pretty solid group of owners, which is going to make for a great league. I don't know if anyone else has looked at the schedules, but late in the season we have a lot of H2H games, which I bet will have major bowl implications.

Next week we have all games vs. CPU teams, just as a heads up.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #158
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

FYI...I'll be out of town starting Friday morning and won't be back until Sunday sometime.

EDIT: Looks like Billj66 and I play each other in Week 4.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 11-13-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #159
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Johnny,

BillJ is afk for a while. His team is set to autopilot, so you'll be playing the CPU. He will (hopefully) return to his team sometime in the not too distant future.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #160
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

We have advanced!

Welcome to Week 4. Everyone plays against the CPU this week. Wake Forrest squares off against a very tough #13 Florida State team in Tallahassee, and Boston College will host the #22 VaTech Hokies. There were no major signings this week. The hard deadline has been set for Thursday evening.

Good luck and have fun!

=============== Boston College Eagles (1-1) ===============
Last week the Eagles were idle.
This week, the Eagles will host #22 Virginia Tech (1-2).

=============== Duke Blue Devils (2-1) ===============
Last week, Duke lost 41-21 against Alabama (3-0).
This week, the Blue Devils will host Army (2-1).
In recruiting news, the following Duke targets have announced their decisions:
- (****) SS Chris Davis has committed to Oregon

=============== #14 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (2-1) ===============
Last week, Georgia Tech lost 13-7 against North Carolina (2-0).
This week, the Yellow Jackets will host NC State (2-1).

=============== Maryland Terrapins (2-1) ===============
Last week, Maryland lost 26-10 against West Virginia (3-0).
This week, the Terrapins will host FIU (1-1).

=============== NC State Wolfpack (2-1) ===============
Last week, NC State lost 19-7 against Cincinnati (2-1).
This week, the Wolfpack travel to Atlanta to face the #14 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (2-1).

=============== Virginia Cavaliers (1-1) ===============
Last week the Cavaliers were idle.
This week, the Cavaliers will host UL Monroe (1-1).

=============== Wake Forest Demon Deacons (1-2) ===============

Last week, Wake Forest won 24-18 against Stanford (2-1).
This week, the Demon Deacons travel to Tallahassee to face the #13 Florida State Seminoles (3-0).

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-13-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #161
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Johnny,

BillJ is afk for a while. His team is set to autopilot, so you'll be playing the CPU. He will (hopefully) return to his team sometime in the not too distant future.

Ah...hence the "airplane" by his name...gotchya.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #162
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Duke wins their game this week against a very weak Army team. Their FB was the only quality player on the team, which was otherwise severely lacking in speed and skill. The final score was 38-14.

On a negative note, we lost our starting HB for the season with a broken collarbone. Thankfully his replacement filled in quite well, rushing for 100 yards on just 10 carries. I uploaded four videos as part of the game recap.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #163
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If I'd been competitive I would have uploaded videos. haha.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #164
Groundhog
Coordinator

w00t! We beat the Seminoles in another pretty spectacular game. They scored the first 14 points of the game with their running game, but we had a FG and a big TD pass at the end of the half to make it 10-14. In the 2nd half we scored in the 4th to go up by 3, when the Seminoles complete an amazing TD with 50 seconds left (naturally) to go up by 3 and kill my spirits. With 30 seconds left we run a long passing play and the Seminoles surprisingly blitz, leading to a long pass that sets us up first and goal at the 3 with about 15 seconds left (I had so much room on that pass that I tried to milk the clock with the ball and got tackled right before the endzone...), and then run it in on the next play to go up by 3, and the Seminoles aren't able to score on some desperation plays to finish off the game.

We really shut down the Seminoles running game after the 1st Q and I'm beginning to get the hang of these triple option plays in my play book. Very useful against an aggressive blitzing D like the Seminoles were playing most of the game.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #165
bighouserulez
H.S. Freshman Team

That makes me optomistic about FSU ,good job bt, as my schedule seems so brutal i am hoping to just get to a bowl game this year.

OK played my game and what the heck am i doing wrong lol. We won but at halftime i had to pause it before kickoff because here:

9 carries 4 fumbles( all running backs are 80 or above)
16 passes thrown (6 drops....wtf 6 seriously in 1 half)

So the game is 7 to 3 at the half. I throw in my backup running back and he fumbles....and gets hurt.

It works out as my 3 fumble starting back puts in 140 yards and 2 tds and we win 28 to 10 against an ultra unintimidating ULM team.

One thing i notice is my defense plays well. They only had 100 yards of offense and their 1 td was on a fumble return for a td.

You guys can have a little laugh at my game in the videos...

vNFL and House have the forum that shares knowledge and asks for players to constantly challenge thinking in fof.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #166
bighouserulez
H.S. Freshman Team

I have 8 ranked teams on my schedule.

It look like my last 4 games are against you guys except for Johnny who i play in a week or 2. My times are pretty easy as long as we are talking evenings and i am in the east coast.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #167
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Grats on the Win. With these awful teams, any win is worth celebrating, even if it's an ugly one against a crappy team. In re: fumbles. In my solo dynasty I had a starting HB who fumbled the ball something like 18 times in a single season. It was ridiculous, but some guys just seem to have a bad case of fumble-itis. I know it's not unheard of for backs to fumble constantly, even at the pro level.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #168
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Good job on the wins, fellas...now I'm doubly nervous about winning our next game. Not only do I need to keep pace with you guys but I have my first round of visiting recruits showing up!!

I was hoping to get some practice time in on the weekend (hopefully be able to get comfortable with the passing game...ugh) but that didn't happen. I'll likely play my game tonight after MNF...wish me luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #169
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Groundhog, if my calculations are correct, you are 18 hours ahead of me (12:30pm on Monday as I post and according to the world time server, it's 6:30am on Tuesday in Sydney) so I thought we might as well try and sort out an appropriate time to get our Week 5 game in as I'm not going to be available this weekend.

I'm not sure what your availability is (evenings? weekends?) but I'm usually one that stays up quite late (usually 1am local time...sometimes later) so what about something late Thursday night/early Friday morning which is Friday evening for you? If that doesn't work then we'll have to wait until Sunday night/Monday morning which is Monday evening for you. Thoughts?

Also, that's taking into account that things don't get rolled over earlier than what is currrently on the schedule.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #170
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool - I should be getting my game and recruiting and stuff in tomorrow...hopefully get my boys back on a winning way.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #171
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

We're officially in the win column with a big win at home against NC State. We stuck to our run first mentality but this time sprinkled in a few passes...some good, and some not so good.

Regarding the passing...the first one was a 38-yard job to our WR that left with a few yards to go for our first score. The next one was a perfect throw in the endzone and that same WR had 5 yards on his defender...dropped. The next one was much like the 2nd one...wide open and dropped. The 4th one was picked up off but it was a bomb downfield into single coverage and very much acted like a punt...not upset about that one. And then I decided to try something else and completed one to a HB for a few yards. And I believe the last one ended up being a sack...or else I barely got it off before getting rocked but the ball dribbled away harmlessly.

With a bunch of recruits in town this was a HUGE win and hopefully we'll see a guy or two commit to GT.

EDIT: We won 24-10...highlights are on their way up.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 11-16-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #172
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Groundhog, if my calculations are correct, you are 18 hours ahead of me (12:30pm on Monday as I post and according to the world time server, it's 6:30am on Tuesday in Sydney) so I thought we might as well try and sort out an appropriate time to get our Week 5 game in as I'm not going to be available this weekend.

I'm not sure what your availability is (evenings? weekends?) but I'm usually one that stays up quite late (usually 1am local time...sometimes later) so what about something late Thursday night/early Friday morning which is Friday evening for you? If that doesn't work then we'll have to wait until Sunday night/Monday morning which is Monday evening for you. Thoughts?

Also, that's taking into account that things don't get rolled over earlier than what is currrently on the schedule.

Yah, if we don't finish early, I'm back to work next week so I'm not as flexible, but 1am your time is 7pm my time which is around the time I get home from work, so that works for me basically any day except Wednesdays and Thursdays?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #173
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Congrats on the win Johnny. Reading the defenses in relation to passing definitely takes some practice. DT said he'd be getting his game in today, and hopefully CraigSca will play today or tomorrow, giving you two some time to get your H2H game in before the weekend.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #174
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yah, if we don't finish early, I'm back to work next week so I'm not as flexible, but 1am your time is 7pm my time which is around the time I get home from work, so that works for me basically any day except Wednesdays and Thursdays?

I'm willing to stay up until 2-3am (lol...that's what time I was up 'til last night/this morning!!) so we can do this pretty much anytime you are available except for Saturday or Sunday night (your time).

Now, I've never played a game H2H before...how is it done? Do we still go to the same place to play our game and click on "Play Game" or do we have to go about it differently?

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 11-16-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #175
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Congrats on the win Johnny. Reading the defenses in relation to passing definitely takes some practice.

That's the thing, for me to call a passing play (actually, audible to a passing play) I had a few conditions that needed to be met and I didn't sway from that whatsoever. My WRs just can't catch the ball and I don't even have a TE on my roster.

I practiced a few passing plays against "random" defenses so I didn't know what was coming and regardless of what the defense was doing the shortcomings seem to stem from my really, really shitty receivers. Guys dropping balls that hit them right in the hands or else they just weren't able to create that separation that I need to feel confident throwing the ball. Heck, a lot of the time the CB was running a better route than my WRs...LOL!!!

This team is built to run the ball (heck, your 4th highest rated WR would be my top guy!) so it's probably better that I don't rock the boat too much but without Nesbitt at the helm next season we could be really, really bad...or else I'm going to have to really learn how to play this game, much, much better...LOL!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #176
bighouserulez
H.S. Freshman Team

YOu go into the game exactly the same. Both players just go in and as you wait for your opponent it tells you wait until they get there.

If you get into it first it sends an invite to the other owner or vice versa.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #177
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighouserulez View Post
YOu go into the game exactly the same. Both players just go in and as you wait for your opponent it tells you wait until they get there.

If you get into it first it sends an invite to the other owner or vice versa.

Sounds good, thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #178
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yay - got destroyed by VaTech, 41-14! You know it doesn't bode well when you cause the opponent to fumble on their own 15 yard line on the first play of the game, fail to move the ball, and then miss an easy FG. Good times. Scares the heck out of me seeing some of the other results in the league. I uh...look "forward" to my first h-to-h game - ha!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #179
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Well I couldn't run the ball to save my life against FIU. Fortunately my passing game still worked. And my defense was insane, save for one time that I downed a punt on the 1 and then gave up a 100yd run on the next play (both included in the highlights), as well as once I put my 2nd unit in for essentially the whole 4th quarter.

45-7, including 3 defensive TD's (2 fumbles and one INT). My 2nd unit gave up a garbage-time score so it ended 45-14. Hopefully that impressed the recruits though, especially the defensive ones that I had in.

Some nice highlights up for my game - the INT, one of the fumble recoveries for a TD, the downed punt and the 100yd run by FIU, and then a fifth play...I don't remember what.

Busy day, but I'll see if I can't do up a proper recap of the game tonight.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-17-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #180
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Wow, that was an early finish. Everyone has gotten their games/recruiting in for this week, so I'll be advancing us to what should be a fun week 5 in the next few minutes. Thanks for knocking your CPU games out so quickly, we may catch up to the other leagues yet!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #181
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Welcome to Week 5!

We have two H2H games this week. First, the Demon Deacons, headed up by Groundhog, will travel to play the #12 Yellow Jackets, helmed by johnnyshaka. Second, two 3-1 teams will face off as the Blue Devils, led by coach Sun Tzu, will fly down to College Park to play the Terapins and coach DaddyTorgo. Everyone else has a big game this week as well, whether it be a rivalry game or a game against a tough opponent. Best of luck to everyone, and most importantly, have fun!

=============== Boston College Eagles (1-2) ===============
Last week, Boston College lost 41-14 against Virginia Tech (2-2).
This week, the Eagles will host Notre Dame (2-2).

=============== Duke Blue Devils (3-1) ===============
Last week, Duke won 38-14 against Army (2-2).
This week, the Blue Devils travel to College Park to face the Maryland Terrapins (3-1).
In recruiting news, the following Duke targets have announced their decisions:
- (***) P Cameron Ellis has committed to Florida

=============== #12 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (3-1) ===============
Last week, Georgia Tech won 24-10 against NC State (2-2).
This week, the Yellow Jackets travel to Winston-Salem to face the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (2-2).

=============== Maryland Terrapins (3-1) ===============
Last week, Maryland won 45-14 against FIU (1-2).
This week, the Terrapins will host Duke (3-1).

=============== NC State Wolfpack (2-2) ===============

Last week, NC State lost 24-10 against Georgia Tech (3-1).
This week, the Wolfpack will host #20 Virginia Tech (2-2).

=============== Virginia Cavaliers (2-1) ===============
Last week, Virginia won 28-10 against UL Monroe (1-2).
This week, the Cavaliers will host #24 Florida State (3-1).

=============== Wake Forest Demon Deacons (2-2) ===============
Last week, Wake Forest won 24-21 against Florida State (3-1).
This week, the Demon Deacons will host #12 Georgia Tech (3-1).

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #182
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Congrats on the win DT, and uh...bummer on the loss Craig .

So, DT, what does your schedule look like? I'm available all day/evening today, but then I'm going to be out of town until Sunday. Then...Sunday night and all day Monday I'll be available too.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #183
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Groundhound, if I understood you correctly, you're currently off of work, right? If so, I'm available starting at about 9pm Wednesday (my time)/3pm Thursday afternoon (your time) and same goes for the next day.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #184
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Hmm...so recruiting online, just tried making a call. The page went blank and sat there. Refreshed and said that I had spent my 30 minutes and that the player has already been called. The thing is, I didn't get to "make the call"...huh?

This a known issue?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #185
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Congrats on the win DT, and uh...bummer on the loss Craig .

So, DT, what does your schedule look like? I'm available all day/evening today, but then I'm going to be out of town until Sunday. Then...Sunday night and all day Monday I'll be available too.

My schedule...hmm let's see. That kind of limits us...today is probably too tight (although it depends on how long I spend in Boston for work when I go in here in a little bit). For sure Sunday night can work if not tonight.

Might just be better to shoot for Sunday night I guess? That way I can do my recruiting beforehand in case there are any kids that I want to invite for campus visits for this game...

Will drop you a PM later this afternoon and let you know what's up with tonight.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #186
bighouserulez
H.S. Freshman Team

Man 'Noles need to go down this week. This is a big game if we have a chance to go bowl'ing.

I do not recruit online so i do not know of the issue on that stuff Johnny

Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #187
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighouserulez View Post
I do not recruit online so i do not know of the issue on that stuff Johnny

Looks like it's a known issue as the site can lag and timeout. I won't be doing anymore recruiting online.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #188
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Johnny, oddly enough I had the same exact issue happen to me on one of my recruits today. Weird.

DT, I'll look for your PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #189
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Groundhound, if I understood you correctly, you're currently off of work, right? If so, I'm available starting at about 9pm Wednesday (my time)/3pm Thursday afternoon (your time) and same goes for the next day.

Yup, that's right, 3pm works for me.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #190
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yup, that's right, 3pm works for me.

Nice...cya shortly, then.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #191
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I guess I'll see ya on Sunday evening DT

What time works best for you?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #192
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

groundhog...don't know what else to try...i've backed all the way out of the dynasty and then opened the invite and clicked join. Everything loads up and then I hit X to advance and READY is staring me in the face.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #193
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yup that's the same thing that happened to me when you sent the invite, and for the inviter it just says "Waiting for opponent".

Strangely, when you first invited me and I tried to change my uniform settings it said that you currently had that screen open.

Me and Sun Tzu had some kind of issue the first time we tried to play, but we had gotten past the "waiting for opponent" screen, and I believe that was related to his firewall settings?

All I can think is to maybe give it another shot later and hope that the gremlins are out of the system.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #194
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

OH...firewall issue? I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to that stuff so I'll loosen things on my end and let you know. Sorry, that didn't even cross my mind and I've never played my PS3 online before.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #195
Groundhog
Coordinator

Another strange thing, from the Dynasty menu it only shows me as being online (even when I checked about 15 mins ago) from the person little icon in the bottom left of the screen. I'm sure when I played Sun Tzu it said there were 2 people online at the time.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #196
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I did see you online at one time or another at the dynasty screen.

Still horsing around with the firewall stuff....I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #197
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Johnny, set your router to create a virtual DMZ for your PS3. You'll have to enter the IP address of the PS3, but that should eliminate any and all issues regarding playing online. If you want to know what the IP address of the PS3 is, go here...

How to Find a PS3 IP Address | eHow.com
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #198
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Thx, Sun...working on getting the DMZ crap sorted out.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #199
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

No prob Shaka...do you know where to go in the router software to mess with it? What brand router do you have? Linksys? Netgear?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #200
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No prob Shaka...do you know where to go in the router software to mess with it? What brand router do you have? Linksys? Netgear?

That's the issue...I don't have a one of the Best Buy jobbies right now...I'm using a Fortigate Fortiwifi 60...$1000 unit. We've been horsing around with these at work but I'm not really a network guy, more of a systems guy. So while I've found the likely place to configure the dmz stuff, I just have to figure out exactly what needs to get done.

Fun, fun, fun!!

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 11-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.