Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: how many nights a week do you sleep through the night?
Always 12 18.18%
5-6 5 7.58%
3-4 11 16.67%
1-2 16 24.24%
never 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How often do you sleep through the night?

My 5 year old daughter has been brutal lately with getting up and trying to come in to our bed.

Laying awake last night made me wonder how often people actually sleep through the night. Not counting waking up and rolling over, how many nights a week do you sleep through? Meaning you lay down at whatever time, and barring some minor adjusting you wake up at whatever time ready tp get out of bed.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

Every night with assistance.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 01-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I consider nights that I'm able to sleep through and past 6 AM a huge victory.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I consider nights that I'm able to sleep through and past 6 AM a huge victory.

This is me. I put never, because I feel like I always at least wake up to take a leak or something and have trouble getting back asleep.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I got one of the various flavors of sleep trackers available, and it tells me I'm pretty reliable for 3 wake-ups per night. The app assures me that's not unusual, and most folks wake up 2-3 times per night. I dunno if I trust it, tho.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I very rarely sleep through the whole night anymore. Then again I have a bad habit of taking a two-three hour nap after work then sleeping five-six hours.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

Maybe once every few years after I drink too much or are awake for 24+ hours.

And I have no problem sleeping whenever I went. I can fall asleep in 5 minutes any time. Just not for 8 consecutive hours. And I have an OCD thing where I like to see what time it is every few hours when I'm sleeping. When I don't have access to a clock or phone when sleeping, it's a little stressful.

My girlfriend found this amazing. She sleeps through the night every night unless something specific wakes her up. Which these days, is our elderly greyhound needing to go out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And I have an OCD thing where I like to see what time it is every few hours when I'm sleeping. When I don't have access to a clock or phone when sleeping, it's a little stressful.

I have quite the opposite view of a clock. I find I sleep better when I don't know what time it is. If I know I only have 1 or 2 hours remaining until my alarm goes off, that 1 or 2 hours become restless to me.

Of course, this has a lot to do with my having to get up at 4 am for work.

Ever since I replaced my clock with an Echo Dot, I've slept a lot better.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Then again I have a bad habit of taking a two-three hour nap after work then sleeping five-six hours.

I've been doing this for years. I call it my "prime time nap".

I don't know if it's good for you or not, but there are historical references to this being a regular part of human society hundreds of years ago. There'd have "first sleep" and "second sleep", and they'd be awake a few hours in between and drink, visit neighbors, get chores done, etc. I find that without my prime time nap, I'm mostly tired after work until I go to bed, but if I sleep first, my in-between time is much more energetic and productive.

Last edited by molson : 01-17-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is me. I put never, because I feel like I always at least wake up to take a leak or something and have trouble getting back asleep.

I put 3-4, but similar reasons. When I do wake up for a longer period, it's because I had to use the bathroom, but I can usually get right back to sleep.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's pretty rare for me these days. When my wife and I go to bed, our dog goes to sleep in her dog bed. The dog will almost always wake me up in the middle of the night to go outside. It's not that she really needs to go outside, but it's because when we come back to bed, I let her get into the bed with us.

So, essentially, I get woken up every night because my dog wants to sleep in our bed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's pretty rare for me these days. When my wife and I go to bed, our dog goes to sleep in her dog bed. The dog will almost always wake me up in the middle of the night to go outside. It's not that she really needs to go outside, but it's because when we come back to bed, I let her get into the bed with us.

So, essentially, I get woken up every night because my dog wants to sleep in our bed.

It's hilarious how we know exactly how we're training our dogs but we're powerless to stop.

One of our dogs has learned to cry at the top of the steps when we're downstairs watching TV. She's afraid to go down the stairs. So to make her feel better, I go upstairs, scratch her ears, tell her things are OK, give her a dog cookie, and then go back downstairs. Amazingly, she hasn't stopped crying at the top of the stairs.

Last edited by molson : 01-17-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It's hilarious how we know exactly how we're training our dogs but we're powerless to stop.

One of our dogs has learned to cry at the top of the steps when we're downstairs watching TV. She's afraid to go down the stairs. So to make her feel better, I go upstairs, scratch her ears, tell her things are OK, give her a dog cookie, and then go back downstairs. Amazingly, she hasn't stopped crying at the top of the stairs.

That's exactly it!

Before we got married and moved in together, whenever my wife would spend the night at my house, the dog knew that she had to sleep in her dog bed and not in bed with us. When I slept alone, the dog always slept with me.

But, some how, after we started living together, the dog decided that while she couldn't join us in bed initially, she could at some point. As a result, this tactic developed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

I love my 2 dogs, but if they were pulling this mess, they'd be sleeping in the living room.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If I take NyQuil I sleep soundly and am well rested (I should probably look into specific sleep aids like Ambien etc). If not I'm probably taking hours to fall asleep and can't get back to it if I wake up to use the bathroom or for whatever reason. (Even with blue light filters on I'm sure my tendency to start playing on my phone or computer if it's been 15+ minutes doesn't help there.) If I'm drinking it can be hit or miss depending on how tired I am too. If I'm with the girlfriend there's a good chance I won't even get to sleep between her shifting positions & the miniscule amount of bed & pillow space her subconscious graciously allows me to use.

There might be nothing I envy more than people who can quickly fall soundly asleep.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

I used to not have any problem sleeping through the night-if something was on my mind/plans for the next day, I might wake up an hour or two early. Now however with my kidney issues, I wake up a couple times a night to pee. I take a Tylenol PM or whatever Walmarts version is every night, and so far, I don't have a problem going right back to sleep in most cases.

Thankfully my cat lets me sleep, and has learned to stay on the far side of the bed so she doesn't get blankets thrown over her when I get up to pee.

Growing old sucks
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #18
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Pre kids it was pretty much always. Now, basically never. Our daughter, god bless her soul, has maybe slept through the night 1 in every 10 days over the first year.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Got myself an Oura ring so I can track my sleep patterns and it’s not pretty viewing. I’d say I average at least 4-6 wake ups on a typical night. It’s less bad when I’m traveling which suggests it’s definitely somewhat the dogs being restless.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

My wife and I instituted a now screen time after 730pm and that has helped us both as well as all our kids get a better night sleep over the last 6 months
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The darker the room, the better I sleep without interruption. Music playing helps too.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty much all the time. Sometimes i do drink too much and have to get up in the middle of the night but that is understandable.

Based on the sampling on this board, I never realized so many people had this problem (outside of kids and one too many beers).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If the definition (as I understand it here) is "6-8 uninterrupted hours" then I'm a Never.

Like somebody else said up the thread, I tend to sleep in 2-3 hour bursts, hopefully twice a day (the older I get, the more getting only one of those in a day sucks)

I haven't done a "normal" sleep pattern in about, oh, 33-34 years.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've been doing this for years. I call it my "prime time nap".

I don't know if it's good for you or not, but there are historical references to this being a regular part of human society hundreds of years ago. There'd have "first sleep" and "second sleep", and they'd be awake a few hours in between and drink, visit neighbors, get chores done, etc. I find that without my prime time nap, I'm mostly tired after work until I go to bed, but if I sleep first, my in-between time is much more energetic and productive.

I've always called it the nap before bed. Back when I had roommates, one of the GFs would walk in at 7:30 PM and find three guys zonked out on the couches/chairs, all snoring loudly. Both have gone on to have kids and we reminisce about the naps before bed.

Now that my work life doesn't revolve around a schedule, I go to bed when I feel like, and I wake up when I feel like. So I don't get up much during the night. I'm usually a midnight to seven or eight sleeper now.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #25
Drake
assmaster

I sleep straight through pretty much every night.

My pattern, though, is that I'll fall asleep for about 15 minutes, then wake up and fidget restlessly for 10-15 minutes, then be out cold.

But I rarely hit the 6 hour threshold overall. Not because I can't sleep that long physically, but because I have a terrible habit of staying up until way past midnight despite the fact that I have to be up by 6 AM. That's just poor self-discipline, mostly. I worked the graveyard shift for about 7 years through my 20s and never really recovered a proper circadian rhythm.

Last edited by Drake : 01-17-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Never.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #27
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Once I'm out, I'm out cold. It takes me forever to get there though.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

I sleep for like 5 hours straight, then wake up and can't get back to sleep for an hour or so. Then crap out for like an hour or two before having to get up. I hate it.

If anyone wants to track their sleep patterns, the Fitbit Charge isn't that expensive and provides some in-depth stuff.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Rarely. I can usually get to sleep OK and if nothing wakes me up I'll go through the night, but once I'm awake at any point that's basically it for at least an hour and maybe the night.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 AM   #30
chinaski
College Prospect

4-5 hours if im lucky and if I get woken up; im up for good. I despise it. I either have to get drunk, take a tylenol pm or a lorazepam to hopefully get more than 6 hours. Im a broken human.

Last edited by chinaski : 01-20-2019 at 03:41 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator

Some nights I do, some I don't.

I just down loaded an app called Calm. I will use it to fall asleep. Hope it works.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Im a broken human.

I dunno, from the results & the comments, sounds like you're kinda .. normal.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #33
PilotMan
Head Coach

Always, unless I have to pee. That's pretty much it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Wow, about 75% of the board don't sleep well.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #35
Warhammer
Pro Starter

My main culprit for waking up is having to use the bathroom. That is mainly due to having 5-6 24 oz drinks through the day.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #36
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wow, about 75% of the board don't sleep well.

I'm not too surprised. I'd like to see a similar poll about how many hours everybody sleeps.

I thought my sleep was horrible, like 3-4 hours a night, because I'm always so exhausted, but since getting a sleep tracker I've come to realize that I actually sleep 6-7 hours a night....which isn't terrific, but considered relatively normal these days.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You know how you're supposed to stay above 95% oxygen to have good sleep?

When I did a sleep study at home, I was below NINETY percent oxygen more than half the time (51%).

32 apnea episodes an hour.

Right now, we're trying to rebuild my doctor network after a disability-caused insurance change to get a CPAP prescribed and settings.

Doesn't help I have Reverse Circadian disorder with all those year of working goofy ass schedules.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Some nights I do, some I don't.

I just down loaded an app called Calm. I will use it to fall asleep. Hope it works.

Calm is great
Old 01-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #39
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
You know how you're supposed to stay above 95% oxygen to have good sleep?

When I did a sleep study at home, I was below NINETY percent oxygen more than half the time (51%).

32 apnea episodes an hour.

Right now, we're trying to rebuild my doctor network after a disability-caused insurance change to get a CPAP prescribed and settings.

Doesn't help I have Reverse Circadian disorder with all those year of working goofy ass schedules.

That sounds frustrating. My sleep is really bad, but isn't apnea related as much as anxiety related insomnia, and apnea sounds like a whole 'nother level of torture. Even the solution seems like a hassle.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

I pass our REALLY fast once my head's on the pillow, and I typically don't wake up except to pee or let the cat out. The peeing depends on how much water I've had to drink...lately I haven't been waking up. Sometimes the cat will start meowing at like 2am and I have to get up and let him out, bit with it being winter he's fine with staying in all night.

It probably also helps that I get up at like 4am several days a week to work out, so I'm tired as hell by 10pm.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #41
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Calm is great
What does it do?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
What does it do?

Its an app that reads you audio stories in a really calming voice. It also plays tons of different kinds of white noise. IT is amazing for kids. We use it every night.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #43
chesapeake
College Starter

Since September, I had gotten into a nasty pattern where I would wake up at 2AM and be up for anywhere between an hour and the rest of the night. I started taking melatonin before bed a couple of weeks ago. I still generally wake up at 2, but now am able to fall back asleep within 15-30 minutes. That is a tremendous improvement.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #44
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Its an app that reads you audio stories in a really calming voice. It also plays tons of different kinds of white noise. IT is amazing for kids. We use it every night.

Thanks. I am going to have to try the white noise to see if it helps with my tinnitus. I don't really have issues falling asleep but it does seem my tinnitus is getting worse.