Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Werewolf XVI: Time Traveler (MAFIA WIN)

Rules for Blind Vote Time Traveler Mafia

I absolutely insist that you thoroughly read these rules before starting the game.
At the end I’d appreciate any feedback to improve it for future use.

Need 12-16 Players

Game will start Oct 5th or 6th. Once I get back into town.

Major Rules:

Q: How is time travel incorporated into the game?

A: Many night choices will occur on nights that are not the current one. For example, some roles could be used on night 2 to enact a change on night 5, or on night 1. Performing actions in the future will just have a delayed effect. Performing actions in the past may cause time to be rewritten. If/when this happens, I will post an updated timeline, though I'll leave the old timeline in its original post to keep for your records.

(An example of how the timeline can change.)
Quote:
Night 4, the mafia decides to kill the cop, as of night 2. But the cop night 2 was visiting night 1! they get there, and find an empty house. No kill that night. Amazingly enough, night 5 the cop goes back to night 2 to investigate... and gets killed from the previous night's kill.

Q: Wait, so if I die, I might come back to life? How does that work?

Sure, if a doctor goes back in time to protect you on the night you were killed. If this happens, you'll be caught up to the game, and history will be re-written because of your presence in each intermediate day. Because of this (IMPORTANT), all dead players must keep up with the game, and submit votes and night-choices to me (privately, through PM) as if they were still alive. These will be their actions if they are brought back to life.

Q: Any weird rules on lynching?

Yup, 'fraid so. It is not the case that a player will be lynched as soon as a majority is hit. Instead, you the player set the deadline each day by voting publicly to end day (i.e. Vote End Day) once 50% or more is reached to end that day (of the currently alive players) the player with the most votes at that point is lynched, regardless of how many votes they have. No lynch is still a possibility...if no lynch has the most votes at deadline, then it wins. Keep in mind that dead players coming back to life will have a say in re-writing the history. Ties will be announced as a tie, but no lynch will occur, so be careful of your choice to end the day. I will no longer accept any late votes to my PM box once end day has been resolved. Do Not Publicly Post Your Vote! You may lie about who you are voting for and allude to other’s who it is, but you may not name, names in the open forum. Night will begin once an End Day result is reached. You may not unvote End Day and once you publicly vote to end day you may not change your lynch vote or submit a new one. Vote breakdown will be listed in the day resolution, to help in voting analysis/voting patterns.

Q: Will roles be revealed upon death?

Not all roles will be revealed on death. This seems reasonable enough normally, as it's not clear that seeing a mafia's dead body would tell you that they were mafia. It's important in this game, seeing as how players can come back to life, that their life stories not be completely revealed. You do know however the total number of mafia to start the game is

Q: What happens if I go back in time and kill myself?

Ain’t going to happen, it’s against the rules. If you are thinking of doing this please don’t play.

Q: Couldn't this game go on for ever?

No. The key component to the time-travel mechanism is time-fuel, of which there is a limited quantity in this game. It is possible, however, in the case that everyone uses up all of their time fuel, that the game will turn into a regular game without time travel.

Q: Anything else I should know?

I hope I have done a decent amount of work to make sure that mass role-claiming will not benefit anyone very much. For instance, I will post a sample townie role PM: (note this is not the actual role, just an example).
Quote:

You are a townie with a time machine, though unfortunately without time fuel...or at least much of it. You have just enough fuel to send a time shield into the future to protect yourself on a future night. Please confirm by PM, including which night you would like to send your time shield forward to.

Please confirm by POSTING in the FORUM and PLEASE be sure to read all of the rules.
Once everyone has “Confirmed” the game will begin.

And, of course, there are the below regular rules:

Other Rules

1) All communication outside this thread by me will be by PM. Please keep you in boxes open for communication from me and your fellow players if applicable.
2) Once the day's deadline has been reached, the lynchee is dead and Night has begun. Posting is allowed during Night, though additional votes will not be counted.
3) Once you are deceased, also decease from posting. Because of possible back-to-life issues, do not post anything else until/unless you are brought back to life.
4) All votes must be in bold via PM for lynch or via the public board for End Day. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted. Unvotes are appreciated, but not required, just send in a new PM. Voters will be announced in the nightly wrap up post. Due to the ever changing timeline you will need to submit to me 3 votes in your preferred order as the lynchings will change as players are bought back to life via time travel.
5) Please do not discuss this game out of thread unless your role specifically states you may communicate with other players.
6) Do not edit/delete any post. Just post again w/ the correction and quote the wrong one.
7) If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment to the others. Be considerate: don't leave us hanging.
8) Do not quote any private communication from me or others. You may reword MY PM’s to you for play however, including roles if you so desire.
9) If there are four consecutive periods (where a period is either a night or a day) without a kill, the game will be ruled a draw unless I see convincing evidence to keep it going. For example, no lynch followed by no night kills followed again by no lynch and no night kill will probably be ruled a draw.
10) If a player is targeted to be killed more times than the number of times he is protected, he will die.
11) Remember that this is a game, intended to be enjoyable for everyone. I hope you play to win without giving in to name-calling or general meanness. I will give a warning PM to the offenders if it gets out of hand, and a subsequent infraction will be punishable by removal from the game.
12) If I do something stupid, please indicate this to me privately. I may or may not have made a mistake.
13) Game week will run Monday to Friday. Play will resume on Monday. No actions will happen from 8 PM Friday (Pacific Time) until Monday 7 AM (Pacific Time). It's a weekend enjoy it, watch a few games, spend time with the family, stop playing computer games for a bit.

REMINDERS

So remember to vote for 3 lynchings in order of preference via PM each day if you are dead or alive. Vote counts will not be done for the 2nd or 3rd votes unless needed. If per chance all three of your votes are deceased from past actions your vote will be recorded as No Lynch. 2nd & 3rd votes won’t be reveled until needed if at all.

To begin, the basic principle of the game must be stressed: the timeline. The timeline always progresses forward, no matter what is going on around you. You, as a town, will move from night 1 to day 1 to night 2 and so on, in that order, without repeating or going backwards or missing any days, guaranteed. Instead, you may find that history rewrites itself every night. The most current history will be recorded in the next post, which will serve as the current update post. When time-travelers use their time-traveling abilities, they will travel temporarily from the current night to the night of their choice (in the past, present or future), perform their role, and then return to the same instant of the current night they just left. In traveling to the past, the time-traveler may create an event that will alter history as the town knows it, and the new history will become the town’s new reality.

In the process of changing history, people may be removed (killed), or added back (brought back to life) to the timeline. When you die, you are probably not permanently dead. Instead, actions may occur in the past that affect whether or not you are killed. If you die, and an action that occurs in the past causes you to “come back to life”, you will be added back into the timeline at the point that you originally left: the point you died. Most importantly, you will be allowed to participate in all the days and nights that you missed up to that point, that is, to “catch up” with the rest of the timeline. Which is why it is important for a dead person to keep reading and voting and doing night actions as if they were alive in case they are brought back.

Due to the changing timeline it brings up a question: Does that mean that even lynches can be undone? The answer is simply: ‘yes’. You see: if on day 1, with 11 alive; 5 people vote for Person A, and 4 people vote for person B, Person A would be lynched at the deadline. If later in the game, a Mafia went back in time to night 1 and killed one of the players voting for Person A (say, Person C), then history would have to be rewritten. I, the mod, would remove Person C from the timeline, and thus, their vote would not count. Person A would now have had 4 votes on Day 1. Both Person A and Person B would be tie thus no lynch. Now I must remove Person B from the timeline as well. It should be noted that both Person A and Person B’s votes still count on Day 1, as usual, but they will be removed from any subsequent days and nights. Then, to further complicate matters, if the Mafia return once again to night one and kill Person D, another person voting for Person A, then on Day 1, Person A would have had 3 votes, and Person B 4 votes. Thus, Person B would be lynched. Now, as the mod, I must add Person A back to the timeline.

Confusing? Yes, it will be a little confusing for me. But I will do everything I can to ensure you as the town remain in complete control of what is going on. Every morning I will post a new history, replacing the old one. I will also post the new history in the game thread, so that when the ‘new’ history becomes the ‘old’ history, it will still be accessible. But I suggest you hold on to a copy for your records, in case you feel like trying to piece together the puzzle that this game will be.

CREDIT ORIGINAL RULES TO MAFIASCUM.NET. SOME DIRECT QUOTES AND/OR VARIATION’S OF THESE RULES WERE USED HERE WITH ADDITIONS AND/OR SUBTRACTIONS BY MYSELF.

ORDER OF EVENTS: (Some event’s/characters may or may not be in this game)

Day Begins
Lynch Votes
Day Ends
Night Begins
Time Travel Action (if any)
Protects
Kills
Current Night Action (if any)
Protects
Kills

KNOWN ROLES IN THIS GAME: (none are public knowledge)

Villagers
Mafia
Bodyguard
Investigator (can not be killed/lynched on day/night one of initial timeline)

Yes, there are other “hidden” roles.

Victory is Villagers win if all Mafia is eliminated. Mafia win via 1:1 ratio Mafia to Villagers.

Player's List

1) Passacaglia
2) pennywisesb
3) ardent enthusiast
4) Mr. Wednesday
5) Raiders Army
6) Barkeep49
7) Blade6119
8) kingfc22
9) ntndeacon
10) RealDeal
11) digamma

Last edited by SnDvls : 10-13-2005 at 04:24 PM.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
henry296
College Starter

Fascinating rules, but I will be away starting the 7th, so I can't play this one.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

Holy crap -- this is going to be confusing as hell.

Count me in
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm in.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Count me in!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

I've been waiting for a WW game. I'm in.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

How long is the game going to run? I'll be leaving town from the 20th to the 23rd, so I can only play if it will be over by the 20th.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
How long is the game going to run? I'll be leaving town from the 20th to the 23rd, so I can only play if it will be over by the 20th.

it should be over by then. I anticipate it to be the same length of a regular game if not shorter. Again you all determine the length of the day so it can go as fast or as slow as the players make it.

edit to correct spelling of length...man that was bad 2 of 'em

Last edited by SnDvls : 09-29-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
saldana
Pro Starter

and i thought we couldnt play a game more confusing than barkeeps.....

since i can access the game during my lunch hour

i am in
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

In.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #11
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I'll sign up for it, then.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm up for it, but I want to be a good guy
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:08 PM   #13
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Count me in.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #14
Blade6119
Coordinator

count me in
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #15
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm in!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 AM   #16
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thanks for spelling my name right, SnDvls.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #17
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I am in as well
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #18
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I'm in.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #19
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Okay looks like we have enough. I'll leave it open for 3 more and if anyone else wants in as an alternate I'll put you on too. I'll be at the ASU/USC game all day tomorrow then off to Disney so I'll update the list once I'm back.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #20
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I've decided that my time is strained enough as it is, and I don't particularly want to push things any more.

As such, I hope it's Ok if I resign from the game -- if you do need me in just let me know and I will be happy to particpate actively.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #21
Vince
Pro Starter

Sadly, I as well will have to decline my spot in the game. It's going to be a busy enough week, so I'll sit this one out. Sorry guys, but I'd hate to try and stay in it and not be active.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #22
saldana
Pro Starter

would you believe, upon further review, i have to drop out too...my wifes work and school schedule are leaving my on baby duty for about 80 hours nonstop this week and next. sorry fellas
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #23
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Maybe we should hold off on this game until next week when more people will be able to participate.....
Old 10-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That means we lose Mr. Wednesday.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

I can play.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #26
Blade6119
Coordinator

i can play, but id vote push it back a week
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #27
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Well I would rather play now than push a week. That being said I will be unavailable until 5ish Eastern and thus nothing should be read into my absence if the game starts tommorrow.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:33 AM   #28
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

If you can get back five people at the cost of losing me, by all means, lose me.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #29
SnDvls
Pro Starter

just need one more and we can go.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:04 PM   #30
SnDvls
Pro Starter

bump

still need one more to get this started.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #31
SnDvls
Pro Starter

sent a pm to those signed up. I can run it with 11 without a prob. if you all want. Let me know either here or PM so I can send out roles and get it going.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #32
Raiders Army
Coordinator

As I stated in my PM, I'm good with anything. I'm ready to lynch some bad guys.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #33
Barkeep49
Coordinator

As I responded in my PM I want a balanced game. If you can balance 11, let's do that. If it takes 12 to give both sides a fair shot, then 12 it should be.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #34
SnDvls
Pro Starter

okay the general feeling is go with it so I'll send out roles tomorrow and we'll officially begin on Monday.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #35
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Well i got my role and am ready to begin this puppy.... I mean to kill these mafioso.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #36
digamma
Torchbearer

Role received. Ready to root out the baddies.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #37
SnDvls
Pro Starter

players
1) Passacagilia - killed to end game by mafia BODYGUARD
2) pennywisesb - MAFIA won game
3) ardent enthusiast - lynched day 1 VILLAGER
4) Mr. Wednesday - lynched day 3 VILLAGER
5) Raiders Army - killed night 2 by serial killer MAFIA
6) Barkeep49 - killed to end game by mafia VILLAGER
7) Blade6119 - killed night 1 by mafia (time travel) VIGILANTE
8) kingfc22 - MAFIA won game
9) ntndeacon - killed night 1 by Blade INVESTIGATOR
10) RealDeal - lynched day 2 VILLAGER
11) digamma - killed night 2 by mafia SERIAL KILLER

Background – You are all in a very small town, with a great secret. A professor at the local university has discovered a way to personal time travel. At first he was only able to send objects into the future, but somehow he was able to gain some additional funding to move his invention along. There were rumors he had found a way to transport people, not only to the future, but to the past and get them back to the revised present. The local Investigator suspects foul play as the professor has vanished as have several of his supposed “people porters”. Several villagers remain in the town, and rumors have run rampart as to who could have possession the “people porters” as well as who still has the old outdated “object porters”.

Day 1

Everyone gathers in the town square and no one is quite sure who will get strung up today. As wary glances shoot back and forth accusations begin to fly as to who is mafia. Five of you quickly grab ardent enthusiast and begin to question him. ardent calls out Blade saying he is the one to go after, but to no avail as the village has agreed to go with the person having the most votes. ardent enthusiast is strung up by the big oak tree for all to see. He struggles for a bit, but is then left lifeless hanging there. You all hope you got one of the mafia tonight and made the right choice.

(in no particular order)

ardent enthusiast (5) – Raiders Army, pennywisesb, digamma, Mr. Wednesday, Blade6119
kingfc22 (1) – ntndeacon
Blade6119 (1) – ardent enthusiast
Barkeep49 (1) – kingfc22
No Votes - Passacagila, Barkeep49, RealDeal

Night 1

You all go to bed hoping for a peaceful night's sleep, but everyone knows that isn't possible with the mafia running around. You hear the gun shots in the distance and you know that it can't be good, then you hear a few more shots and some screaming. Looks like someone was protected. Just as you begin to fall back to sleep you again hear a the gun shots….this you know can’t be good. However, two of the shots sounded the same, you are pretty certain that an additional one came from someone else. In the morning you all, well almost all of you, wake up. Someone is missing, no two people are missing. You look around and begin to realize that ntndeacon/ardent and Blade are not around. A quick search of the village and you find ntndeacon/ardent’s body in his room. He was shot, but you can tell it wasn’t by the mafia, but who? It appears that he was the investigator. Then you all quickly run to Blade’s house, looks like he was either just entering his house or exiting it when the mafia got him. Why would he be out at night is the big question? Barkeep doesn’t know who protected him, but he knows he was a target and was saved by someone.

Day 2

You all gather around the town square again for the daily lynch. Everyone is still uneasy as they don't know who is mafia and who isn't. Everyone is there except Real Deal who comes stumbling in late. Five of you quickly grab him and beat him into submission. You string him up to the tree next to ardent and wait for his lifeless body to go limp before heading back to your normal day. RealDeal has been lynched.You all go to bed a little uneasy tonight. It could be a long night for some of the villagers.

RealDeal (5) - kingfc, Raiders Army, Pass, Barkeep, digamma
Pass (1) - Mr. Wednesday
No Vote - RealDeal, pennywisesb,

Night 2

The night passes and it’s eerily quiet. No gun shots, no screaming. Then you hear the same two shots you heard on night one. What is going on in this town? Once morning comes you all gather in the town square. Just like last night there are two of you missing, digamma and Raiders Army. You now are searching around trying to figure what is happening to all the villagers when you run across Raiders Army’s body, he’s been gagged and tortured with a note attached to his body by a knife. Looks like the serial killer got him last night. Now it time to find digamma, he just like Blade from the night before, looks like he was caught coming back home the mafia got him.

Day 3

You all gather in the town square for the lynch vote. Mr. Wednesday and Barkeep seem to have confirmed eachother as a normal villager. Everyone has a weird feeling in their body though that this could turn out bad. pennywisesb and kingfc22 don’t feel that Mr. W is on the up and up though and accusations begin to fly. Barkeep thinks king is bad and Mr. W feels it’s penny. It all comes down to Passacagilla. With a confused look in his eye he throws his vote to lynch Mr. Wednesday. Mr. W is quickly strung up and his lifeless body comes to rest. Just then pennywisesb and kingfc pull their guns and shoot pass and barkeep. The mafia gained their 1:1 ratio and have gained control of the time machines. The mafia have won.

Mr. W (3) - penny, king, pass
king (1) - Barkeep
penny (1) - Mr. W

Last edited by SnDvls : 10-13-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #38
Blade6119
Coordinator

I recieved my PM, ready to play.
Demotivation
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #39
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

I received my PM as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I have received my PM!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Word. PM Received.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #42
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yea, now I just have to remember how to play this game.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #43
Barkeep49
Coordinator

As an innocent for the first time at the start of a game, I'm ready.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #44
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Role received.

#include <stdvillager>

Old 10-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #45
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Got my PM as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #46
RealDeal
High School Varsity

confirmed
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #47
Blade6119
Coordinator

so ya...
Demotivation
Old 10-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #48
Raiders Army
Coordinator

History for Day 1?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #49
SnDvls
Pro Starter

post #37 updated

Begin Day 1...remember you all control the length of the days.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #50
Blade6119
Coordinator

So where does everyone want to go on day one?
Demotivation