Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2022, 06:03 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Dreams - share 'em

I've stated somewhere here before that I don't remember my dreams. Last night I had one. It was one of those where you knew you were dreaming, too weird to be true, but it continued on until eventually I woke up.

I was in The Walking Dead world (love the zombie genre). But I somehow travelled to another dimension where there were walkers but the situation was different. I knew there were zeds but no one was that worried about them. My sense is they were out there, people were grouped together for safety, but the threat wasn't that big.

There was a very large community and an aircraft carrier near by. And I had a date with Rhonda Rousey! Had an address which was in a very large convention building-like where you can walk for a long time. It was crowded, people doing their thing, and I eventually reached the address where I was met by a smaller woman who didn't look like Rhonda (e.g. not a fan but saw her in Furious 7). She told me maybe I had the wrong floor and try above her.

I went up the building, couldn't find the other apartments that was above hers, and got lost. I eventually realized (somehow) the woman I saw was Rhonda but just different build. I tried to find my way back but was not able to ...

... and then I transitioned to knowing I told Rhonda about me being from a different dimension (no idea how I found her or how my date went) and told her it was much worse with zeds in my dimension. And we were going to tell the military so they can dig deeper into me.

And then I woke up.

So no idea what that was all about. Rhonda isn't on my list of HoN, no idea why my subconscious wanted a date with her. I get the zed and survival stuff since I'm a zombie fan. This is the first dream I remembered for like in years.

Any amateur Freuds with a theory?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-11-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:19 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I doubt anyone wants to know what is in my dreams. Usually involves a midget tranny...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:20 AM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

A recognition belatedly realized, an inability to find somewhere you're trying to get to, and unable to get back to where you were.

Sounds like boilerplate mid-life conflict or crisis stuff, TBH

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

As far as my dreams go, those of you who have seen them on FB already know. For the rest of you, the running joke is that my dreams are so vivid and bizarre, doing drugs would actually result in my having normal dreams.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:27 AM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
A recognition belatedly realized, an inability to find somewhere you're trying to get to, and unable to get back to where you were.

Sounds like boilerplate mid-life conflict or crisis stuff, TBH

Hey, this kinda makes sense.

Any thoughts on why Rhonda? And why she didn't look like the Rhonda from Furious 7?
Old 03-11-2022, 06:43 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hey, this kinda makes sense.

Any thoughts on why Rhonda? And why she didn't look like the Rhonda from Furious 7?

I've only watched the first two Furious movies.

What's interesting is that Rhonda is (or at least was) a fighter. And in your dream you mentioned the military, another expression of fighters.

And a date, is, after all, in its most basic form, simply a meeting. I don't think the romance aspect of it is important at all - notice how you didn't have the date in your dream and you question why it was Rhonda who appeared and not the most appealing version of her.

If we take the midlife conflict/crisis theory as accurate, it would suggest that there's some sort of issue that you haven't dealt with (or fought with yourself about and hashed out) and this is your brain going, "Hey! Take some to think about this!" (Whatever it is that you're conflicted/in crisis about that you haven't examined closely and resolved).

Of course, all of this is without knowing you, so there's only vague generalities at hand.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:00 AM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, I can see "issue that you haven't dealt with". But we all have something like that I suspect.

Ok, who's next up for Dr. Izulde?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-11-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's interesting how everyone's issues (real or imaginary, subconscious or not) affect them differently. I can't say I think too much about my dreams even when I can remember them. But early in my adulthood, rather than dreams being the outlet for any subconscious stress or other problems, it turned physical. I ended up with three separate, terrible (but temporary) bouts of what was diagnosed as acid reflux. The first happened about a month or two before I got married and then went away. The second happened a month or two before my first child was born and then went away. The third time it happened was right before I took a new job. By that point, I knew exactly what was going on and it went away almost immediately. It hasn't happened again and it's been over 20 years. It's almost like I called my body's bluff so it gave up trying to hurt me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
molson
General Manager

Funny you ask.

I was walking with a friend through a parking lot and Tom Brady was there getting into his car. A squirrel attacked his leg and was chewing on it. I was able to shoo the squirrel away. But he was lying on the ground in the parking lot unconscious afterwards. Me and the friend just walked away. A while down the road, I thought, oh shit, we should check on him. We went back, he was still unconscious. We brought him into a big room that looked like a space they use as a hurricane shelter. There were some medics there so we left him with them. It was a big news story the next day that he was injured, but he was able to play in his next game.

I think it was about social anxiety. I didn't want to get involved, do the right thing, do the useful thing, because I didn't want to bother Tom Brady. But, I was able to get past that and help him, even though it took a second for it all to click. It's a tension I experience in my life. I always want to do the difficult and right thing, and I often do, but it's been a lifetime of work learning to push past my more default state, which is the easy road of not getting involved.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

i dreamed last night that Coastal Carolina won the CJBL National Tournament
Old 03-11-2022, 09:20 AM   #11
Bobble
College Prospect

I posted this on r/NFL_Draft/ on reddit a while ago:

I dreamt last night that for some reason the NFL broke the first round of the draft into multiple days. The Lions were to be the first pick of the second day but they had to postpone their pick. Apparently, like a High School production, they were going to paint a mural of their first round draft pick to reveal as he was announced. The guy who was to paint it was stubborn but a crap artist. Finally, the ... Student Council(?) ... stepped in and hired a professional but the mural couldn't be completed in time for the scheduled draft. I was told not to worry, they had already informed the NFL that the draft would have to be delayed.

Fast forward to the next day. With the seventh pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select: Wide Receiver Victorinöx from a small school I never heard of. Yes, with the umlaut. I think he only has the one name, Victorinöx. Like Madonna. A rather wiry, blonde dude emerges to hype music and stunned silence. Apparently, Victorinöx has only played one game of college football but had, like, 365 receiving yards in that game. "You can't argue with the data", the guy next to me optimistically says. To his credit, Victorinöx is pretty chill about it. He remarks to me how cool it is that this all happens on his birthday.

I know you're going to ask me how the mural turned out. It's hard to say. The draft presentation is taking place in what appears to be a strip club. It's dark with strobe lights and tinsel. I think the mural was Victorinöx in a Statue of Liberty pose but with a football. I'm sure it was tasteful.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #12
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I doubt anyone wants to know what is in my dreams. Usually involves a midget tranny...

I initially read this as "midget tyranny".

Either way I'm interested.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #13
weegeebored
High School Varsity

The fact that you are remembering this dream and not others is probably stress-related. Are you sleeping normally? Do you have something important pending or unresolved?

Don't read too much into the players who are in the dream. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Last edited by weegeebored : 03-11-2022 at 10:56 AM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:51 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
The fact that you are remembering this dream and not others is probably stress-related. Are you sleeping normally? Do you have something important pending or unresolved?

Don't read too much into the players who are in the dream. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I know people dream all the time but know I don't normally remember my dreams. Nothing unusually stressful and am sleeping normally.

Need to google on why some remember their dreams more than others. I would like to remember them more, bet there are some interesting ones in my subconscious.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So last night night I had some kind of science fiction dream. It was based on a Star Trek like "away team" who landed on a planet of human-size intelligent bugs. They were observing a meeting between two small groups of bugs. Apparently one group was some sort of super-hero bugs who had just saved the planet yet in the process wronged the other group of bugs in some way. In an act of contrition the super hero bugs let themselves be devoured by the other bugs. After the meal the away team was told to stay in the room while the other bugs did bug things. So they were waiting around for a while then...

...I woke up. What does it mean?
Old 03-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Depends. Were wearing a green, blue or red Federation outfit?
Old 03-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #17
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It wasn't actually Star Trek mind you but if I had to choose a color I would say red...
Old 03-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #18
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I know people dream all the time but know I don't normally remember my dreams. Nothing unusually stressful and am sleeping normally.

Need to google on why some remember their dreams more than others. I would like to remember them more, bet there are some interesting ones in my subconscious.

I thought people remembered dreams because the dream process uses our brains in a way that does not utilize the mechanism that transfers short-term memory to long-term memory.

So we remember pieces of dreams if they were occurring when we woke up, but not otherwise. Brain scans of sleeping people seem to indicate that the process of dreaming is likely something we all do. It's possible, if we gradually go from deep sleep to awake, that those of us who think we remember more real pieces of dreams are much more likely to be those who use alarm clocks.

My own theory is that as we gradually become semi-awake after sleeping, we sometimes "continue" the dream in active consciousness. And since we then would be using our brains differently, that continuation is a major part of what we remember when we talk about a dream.

The dream itself is more likely to be scattered pieces or concepts that can get our imaginations going when we transition to awake. And so we then construct a real story around whatever dream piece was ongoing when we became aware. That becomes what we tell others we dreamed about, and what we actually think we remember dreaming because that's all that can ever get into long-term memory.

In other words, during the process of becoming awake, the active recollection of the dream piece that was ongoing when we awakened is the only possible thing that could physically make it into our memories.

More concisely, the genius of Freud is in the recognition that what we do to tell a story around those fragments is far more revealing (and far less interesting, I guess) than the fragments themselves. He writes about the subconscious. I think that's exactly what he means, though his writings were long before brain scans revealed more about the functions involved.

So, the bugs and Star Trek stuff... that seems like guilt of some sort to me.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:58 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

In other words, during the process of becoming awake, the active recollection of the dream piece that was ongoing when we awakened is the only possible thing that could physically make it into our memories.

Nosir. We dream multiple times in a night as part of the sleep cycle, and my dream memory is such that I recollect mid-sleep dreams just as easily as pre-waking ones.