Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #1151
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So we ended up with 35 inches in the storm last week. Definitely not exaggerated by the weathermen here at least. My wife's school only made it to class for 1/2 day finally on Friday.

Now it looks like another foot coming tomorrow night. Going to have a problem finding places to put the snow I think.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #1152
Suicane75
Coordinator

Make sno cones.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #1153
Comey
College Starter

I believe we got three feet in Woonsocket, with about a foot and a half to two feet in Mystic. The issue with the storm coming is the frigid air (temps falling below zero in many places overnight Monday). I read that, if the temps rise (as some models show), they won't rise above freezing, which could make for ice formation.

Regardless, flash freezing is a major concern. I'm guessing neither I nor my girlfriend will have school on Monday (we both are teachers in districts a severe distance from one another).

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #1154
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, we have so much snow here that the plow guys are actually pushing snow out of driveways and down to the end of our cul-de-sac to make room.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #1155
RainMaker
General Manager

Last year Chicago got like 70+ inches of snow. Definitely ran out of places to put it near the end.

Getting hit with a mini blizzard today which isn't bad since our winter has been as mild as I can remember.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #1156
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

48 hours ago, we were supposed to be on the tail of this thing, maybe four inches total. Then the storm started tracking north and they increased it to 6-to-8. We already have 10, and it's supposed to snow like this all night. If the Steam community isn't active on Monday, someone please check my driveway because I'm probably dead.

When I lived in New Hampshire, I learned after the first nor'easter that you need a guy to plow your driveway. It rarely snows this much in this part of Michigan. Maybe once a year we get up to 10. This is crazy.

Last edited by Solecismic : 02-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #1157
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately my driveway isn't easily plowable due to the tight space and walls. So I just have to snow blower it. Since the walls are about five feet, once I get to about 4+ feet of snow on top of that, it gets too high for the snow blower to get it over the top anymore.

At that point I pretty much have to send it down to the street and then snow blow it off the street to the sides further down my yard. Royal pain in the butt

Old 02-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #1158
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
48 hours ago, we were supposed to be on the tail of this thing, maybe four inches total. Then the storm started tracking north and they increased it to 6-to-8. We already have 10, and it's supposed to snow like this all night. If the Steam community isn't active on Monday, someone please check my driveway because I'm probably dead.

When I lived in New Hampshire, I learned after the first nor'easter that you need a guy to plow your driveway. It rarely snows this much in this part of Michigan. Maybe once a year we get up to 10. This is crazy.

Southern part of Ohio went from 1-3, then 5-8, then 1-3, and we saw nothing but rain today. That explains why you're seeing a lot more. Really bad for them to miss a forecast this badly.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #1159
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Monday's storm here was a bit of a dud (only 6 inches), though I hear it got Massachusetts more.

But the size of the snowbanks around here are getting truly ridiculous. And this morning I was behind a convoy of trucks taking snow out of the city, since there's basically nowhere left to plow it.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #1160
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Monday's storm here was a bit of a dud (only 6 inches), though I hear it got Massachusetts more.

In Central mass, we only ended up with about 15 inches from Sunday - Monday. I think the Boston area actually got more than us this time.

In the least surprising news of the day though, Worcester (where I live) is the snowiest city in the U.S. this year at 90 inches. yay! (Beating out usual leaders such as Buffalo and Erie). Normally we get about 60-70 inches of snow here, so an exceptionally snowy year for us.

Current Top 25 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+

I think we're expecting another 8 inches coming on Thursday and another storm this weekend.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #1161
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

And for those interested, here are some current photos of my snow banks.

Spoiler

Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #1162
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm back in Concord/Sudbury middle of each week and the driving conditions there are dangerous - you literally can't see around most corners. The snow being light was good early on because it meant easy shoveling and no worry about power outages, but those extra inches have added up. Need a good melt day or week, and I'm sure there'll be a lot of flooding when it comes.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #1163
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

In the least surprising news of the day though, Worcester (where I live) is the snowiest city in the U.S. this year at 90 inches. yay! (Beating out usual leaders such as Buffalo and Erie). Normally we get about 60-70 inches of snow here, so an exceptionally snowy year for us.

Still trailing St. John's who have had 132 inches so far this year. No wonder Newfie's are crazy.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #1164
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Oh and just for Fidatelo. Winnipeg is number one for:
  • Lowest Average High (15F/-10C)
  • Lowest Lows =) (-2F/-19C)
  • Days below -30C (13)
  • Least number of days above freezing (13)

At least the bugs aren't bad this time of year.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #1165
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
  • Days below -30C (13)

I wouldn't want to even try and screw around with the bugs that would be out in that
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #1166
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
  • Days below -30C (13)

And it's been a reasonably ok winter this year. Cake walk compared to last year. But still, that's depressing as hell. I need to move.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #1167
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Another 8 inches of snow coming later this week.

Hate world. Revenge soon
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #1168
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Getting our first real storm here, about 2 inches on the ground and expecting another 4-5 with wind chills in the negative.

Now I know how all you guys in New Englend feel

ducks
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #1169
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

NC getting its first winter weather outside of the mountains. I think we're ok here, but points just a little south and east of us may get an awful ice storm.

On that note, I know he's been mentioned in this thread before, but Wade's trash-talking weather guy is being pretty much a grade-A jerk to other weather forecasters...and to some of his constituents..during the run-up to this storm. (And his fanboys are just fine with it, it seems...)

A little sampling...

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
Wxrisk.com

40 mins · Edited ·

[/font]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]just awful forecasting by NWS RAL.. waaaaay late and not helpful at all to the public.. NOW only NOW are they a talking about ice storm... you dont juist MENTION in passing "crippling ice storm"... sorry ...
[/font]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Rachel Mills[/font][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif] [/font][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Raleighs been talking about an ice storm since yesterday morning[/font]
  • Peter Herzing Gosh, I hope you don't break your arm wxrisk!
    Like · Reply · 3 · 32 mins

• Wxrisk.com i hope no one dies asshole
      Like · 16 · 26 mins

• Peter Herzing Wow. Just wow. Are you sure you are not 12?
      Like · 1 · 10 mins

• Jerry Blackmon You're calling the guy who's telling you what's about to happen a 12 year old? Anyone got a mirror?
      Like · 8 mins

• Peter Herzing I am referring to the immature name calling.
      Like · 1 · 7 mins

Old 02-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #1170
Ben E Lou

Dola, to be clear, his act is certainly entertaining in a "get-yer-popcorn" sort of way, but it doesn't seem like the smartest business practice to routinely belittle other forecasters.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #1171
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

4-8 inches expected in DC in the next 18 hours....well be as crippled as Boston tomorrow!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #1172
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
4-8 inches expected in DC in the next 18 hours....well be as crippled as Boston tomorrow!
Haha... in Annapolis 1 inch was worse than 12 in Boston.

Ben, you'll have to forgive these weather guys. They can get a little excited.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #1173
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Dola, to be clear, his act is certainly entertaining in a "get-yer-popcorn" sort of way, but it doesn't seem like the smartest business practice to routinely belittle other forecasters.

He makes his money from doing long term forecasting for commodities brokers. I doubt they care who he insults.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #1174
Ben E Lou

Ahhhhh! got it. I thought he was more of a contract guy.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #1175
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Snow finally started falling at the house about 10-15 minutes ago. It had been kind of hovering around our area but not falling on us until now. Gonna get nasty tonight from what I've read. The snow will be a quick hit to coat the ground, then sleet for a little while, then freezing rain overnight. Pretty likely I'll be working from home tomorrow and perhaps Wednesday. Have to hope the meager temps in the mid-30s can melt stuff before Thursday because the bottom will drop out after that with highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits. Oh, and there *might* be something coming in early next week, but who knows? This time last week, this was shaping up as a nice little snowstorm. It's only been in the last 24-36 hours that ice has really been a concern in the forecasting.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #1176
Dutch
"Dutch"

Just flew into Raleigh...my first experience with snow in years.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #1177
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Just flew into Raleigh...my first experience with snow in years.

Welcome to our town :P
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #1178
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

We have been getting freezing rain and sleet since 3:30 here.

Nothing is sticking despite temps around 25-27 per my truck and our outside thermometer.

Guess I'll work from home tomorrow and get very little done.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #1179
Dutch
"Dutch"

Waking up to frozen everything here in Fayetteville...the drive to the customer site is gonna might suck.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #1180
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Welcome to our town :P

Thanks, Raleigh was just where I fly into...seems like a cool town though.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #1181
Easy Mac

Everything is pretty well iced over in Greenville SC. We have about a 1/2 inch of ice covering the ground. No show though.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #1182
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I ended up getting about 3 inches of snow...nothing to worry about. this is my last week in my job (and in management) and i am SOO happy, sick of emails asking why we have to work when the government is closed. Also IT switched me to my new jobs server, so i cant access anything i need to do my job...hooray!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #1183
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm stuck at my hotel. I can't reach anybody at my job site and I'm not going unless they are there! So....time to chill for a bit!

Edit: And nobody is going in today...stranded at the hotel in the middle of nowhere....its game time!!!

Last edited by Dutch : 02-17-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #1184
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Or Manitoba!

Rats, it cut off the temp scale. The light purple is (-4 to 5 F) and the dark purple is (-13 to -4 F). When I heard the weather forecast driving to work the warmest place in Manitoba was -28 C.

Last edited by nilodor : 02-18-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #1185
ColtCrazy
College Starter

It's nothing like the NE, but Southern Indiana got 5 inches Monday night and 2 more last night. Wind Chill tonight is down to -19. We had inservice Monday, but haven't been to school the last two days. Tomorrow is pretty doubtful as well.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #1186
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
It's nothing like the NE, but Southern Indiana got 5 inches Monday night and 2 more last night. Wind Chill tonight is down to -19. We had inservice Monday, but haven't been to school the last two days. Tomorrow is pretty doubtful as well.

Basically the same for Cincinnati except in service was Friday then Presidents day Monday, so today is day 6 in a row for my son being home. The wind chill is supposed to be -28 at 6 AM tomorrow so I'm not hopeful.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #1187
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Or Manitoba!

Rats, it cut off the temp scale. The light purple is (-4 to 5 F) and the dark purple is (-13 to -4 F). When I heard the weather forecast driving to work the warmest place in Manitoba was -28 C.

Yeah but it could be worse:

record_low.png
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #1188
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

That record high is ridiculous. When the Jets moved back they should have just had the arena outdoors.

Actually I have a friend from central manitoba who used to talk about the winters there. I asked him, wasn't it good that you could play pond hockey basically whenever? He said that it was often too cold to play hockey because the ice gets funny when it's that cold, and the puck could shatter your stick.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #1189
Thomkal
Head Coach

And to the ridiculous....

Myrtle Beach Schools have already called for a 2-hour delay tomorrow...because it will be too cold for them to walk to the bus stop. No snow or sleet, just cold. It will be in the teens tomorrow and the next day-cold for sure. But most parents here bring their kids to the bus stop if it rains or threatening rain anyway, or are worried about their kids being taken when they get off the bus. Just so different than where I grew up in NY and I'm not sure we ever had a delay for cold unless it was below zero with a wind chill on top of that.

Please be thinking of Myrtle Beach's children tomorrow.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #1190
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, delays here are when it gets to -20 windchill or so.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #1191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't imagine hats and gloves and parkas are universal in Myrtle Beach.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #1192
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And to the ridiculous....

Myrtle Beach Schools have already called for a 2-hour delay tomorrow...because it will be too cold for them to walk to the bus stop. No snow or sleet, just cold. It will be in the teens tomorrow and the next day-cold for sure. But most parents here bring their kids to the bus stop if it rains or threatening rain anyway, or are worried about their kids being taken when they get off the bus. Just so different than where I grew up in NY and I'm not sure we ever had a delay for cold unless it was below zero with a wind chill on top of that.

Please be thinking of Myrtle Beach's children tomorrow.

I will be very curious as to what we do tomorrow. If you follow the precedents our district has set in the past, Wind Chill Warnings automatically mean canceled school. Looking at -25 to -35. However, we have now used our maximum days and state testing was supposed to have started this week.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #1193
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Here in springboro, Ohio there is a 2 hour delay I feel like anytime there is a negative wind chill. With a wind chill advisory until noon Friday I'd be surprised if they have school the rest of the week.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #1194
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Dola

And schools here in springboro are already closed tomorrow due to the cold expected
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #1195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Dola

And schools here in springboro are already closed tomorrow due to the cold expected

I'm in Madeira and we haven't heard anything yet but its coming.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #1196
cougarfreak
College Starter

Schools in NKY closed tomorrow. My district closes on a wind chill warning. Has to be -25 or below to close for cold. I think we'd have been closed anyway, I'm sure the roads in the western part of the county are doomed tonight with blowing snow and ice.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #1197
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yep, just got the call and my kids actually moaned. They were bored today. Both are ready to go back.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #1198
RainMaker
General Manager

Supposed to get down to -8 here in Chicago tomorrow. Already cancelled all schools in the city.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #1199
RainMaker
General Manager

Also looks like we'll stay 20 degrees below normal for the next couple weeks. What a weird couple of winters we've had here.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #1200
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I can't imagine hats and gloves and parkas are universal in Myrtle Beach.

not unless they come in bright neon beach store colors.

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-18-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote