Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Usain Bolt - 9.58!!!!!!!!!!

9.58 in the 100m.

Tyson Gay 2nd with 9.71 (new American Record).

And Bolt isn't even in as good a shape as he was in 2008 apparently...car accident and some other stuff.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
The Jackal
Coordinator

Bolt is a freak of nature. He'll certainly keep me interested in races.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that was...insane. there's nobody that is even in his league...he's something special.

i thought maybe Gay was on the same level as him - and at least he did push him to run the whole race and not showboat at the end, but he was never in any danger...just crazy
Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Usain Bolt...Future ex-Raider
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Bolt's not freakin' human. OTOH, is it sort of sad I'm waiting for the inevitable test failure?

I'd be so disappointed if that was the case. But looking at him, he really does have the build that screams unique, not drug-aided. But we really never can be sure these days can we? No failed tests thus far, have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Unbelievable. Any other period of time minus Usain Bolt and American Tyson Gay would be shattering records and would be on top. Must be tough to be second to a once in an every 3 decades type sprinter. No matter how good you are it's not enough.
JohnnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I'd be so disappointed if that was the case. But looking at him, he really does have the build that screams unique, not drug-aided. But we really never can be sure these days can we? No failed tests thus far, have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

When I read about the incredible cuts in times for the whole Jamaican sprinting program over the last few years it certainly looks suspicious.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Icy
Pro Starter

Incredible race. I really enjoy watching Bolt running, a 6'5" guy that fast is amazing. Of course his length helps his advance, but you need the body to move those long legs that quick.

Btw, bad homophobic joke i just heard tonight from a guy sitting at the next table in a restaurant.
Spoiler

Last edited by Icy : 08-16-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I heard on NPR that if Bolt hadn't celebrated at the very end during the Olympics, he would have run a 9.55 instead. So this is no big deal.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sure it is. it was a 9.58 into a headwind. without the headwind just think how fast that could be...
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I heard on NPR that if Bolt hadn't celebrated at the very end during the Olympics, he would have run a 9.55 instead. So this is no big deal.

Makes sense, he started to celebrate really early in that race, almost humiliating the rest of racers.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:

I mean, that was an estimate that some Professor made by analyzing the race. To say that a 9.58 is no big deal, that's just crazy. You're crazy, Pass!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I mean, that was an estimate that some Professor made by analyzing the race. To say that a 9.58 is no big deal, that's just crazy. You're crazy, Pass!

Well I was being sarcastic, but I'm sure if you dig hard enough, you can find other reasons to say I'm crazy.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Well I was being sarcastic, but I'm sure if you dig hard enough, you can find other reasons to say I'm crazy.

Yeah, I figured it was sarcasm. But I probably don't get many chances to call you crazy outside of WW, so there it is.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Bolt has shaved .16 seconds off the world record in the last two years. It took 16 years to shave the previous .16 seconds off the record. It took 27 years to shave the previous .16 seconds off that (using electronic timing).

Bolt's performance does not compute. Either he is the greatest sprinter of all time by leaps and bounds -- in the class of Tiger Woods, except better. There's guilt by association in that there has been smoke (and in some cases fire) with a lot of Jamaican sprinters. My gut tells me that Bolt is just a positive test waiting to happen.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 08-16-2009 at 09:28 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Usain Bolt has one of the best sprinter names of all time.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 08-16-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It would be a shame if he is using. How much could it really help? At these times you'd think he could smoke people all natural.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-16-2009 at 10:00 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Smoking people would likely get him in even more trouble than steroids.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Soylent Weed is made from people!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am surprised the article from ten months ago (or 8?) in which Bolt predicted he would run this exact time has not been mentioned. I saw it on the news, so sorry no link.

A few notes on other posts: good joke Icy; I think Bolt is way faster then Tiger Woods; and I heard if Bolt had not smoked a fatty, porked a fatty, and ate some fatty pork before the Olympics he would have been so damn fast he would have gone back in time.

Last edited by Cringer : 08-17-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #21
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

9.58 is not that fast.... I used to do that in high school
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 AM   #22
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Oh wait, sorry I thought you were talking about the 40 yard dash. Nevermind... nothing to see here.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #23
Epi_862
Mascot

Just wanna chime in on the positive a-sample talk...

All pro sports involve straight up doping, semi-illegal stuff, grey area stuff and questonable stuff. To say that Usain Bolt runs a sub 9.6, becouse of some illegal substances is just... i dont know, naive? And im not attacking anyone, just saying.. The other nine guys next to him are most likely on the same stuff. He's just a freak of nature, plain and simple.
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #24
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Glad that he ran 100 meters without showboating so that we could see what he could do. Turns out, it is amazing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
9.58 is not that fast.... I used to do that in high school

SportsDigs ran a 9.58 weeks ago
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Owl Gore invented 9.58, including the decimal point. He hasn't been credited for that contribution since no one wanted to call it the Gorey System.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-17-2009 at 08:20 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
Just wanna chime in on the positive a-sample talk...

All pro sports involve straight up doping, semi-illegal stuff, grey area stuff and questonable stuff. To say that Usain Bolt runs a sub 9.6, becouse of some illegal substances is just... i dont know, naive? And im not attacking anyone, just saying.. The other nine guys next to him are most likely on the same stuff. He's just a freak of nature, plain and simple.

To me it doesn't matter what he would've run without using. If he cheated, then he cheated. If he cheated when he didn't need to, that just makes him stupid.

Again, this is all hypothetical, because I don't think he cheated. I just disagree with the logic that the hypothetical cheating doesn't matter because he would've won anyways.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
sure it is. it was a 9.58 into a headwind. without the headwind just think how fast that could be...

An article I read said there was a slight wind at his back...

Quote:
"I don't run for world records," said Bolt, who crossed the line with a slight breeze at his back.

Usain Bolt's 9.58 at world championships shatters 100-meter record - ESPN

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
Epi_862
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
To me it doesn't matter what he would've run without using. If he cheated, then he cheated. If he cheated when he didn't need to, that just makes him stupid.

Again, this is all hypothetical, because I don't think he cheated. I just disagree with the logic that the hypothetical cheating doesn't matter because he would've won anyways.

I guess i didnt make my point too well.. The point is EVERYONE cheats, so the field is balanced.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess i didnt make my point too well.. The point is EVERYONE cheats, so the field is balanced.

You think everyone cheats? Down to the lowest level competitor that didn't make the finals? Or didn't qualify to even run in the preliminaries? If all 8 of the people in that final cheated, then they should all be disqualified.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #31
Epi_862
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
You think everyone cheats? Down to the lowest level competitor that didn't make the finals? Or didn't qualify to even run in the preliminaries? If all 8 of the people in that final cheated, then they should all be disqualified.

And nobody in the world should ever commit a violent crime, or use inside information on the stock market, or.... You get the point.

Im really inclined to believe that yes, if your on top in pro sports, you have done something that might not be allowed, or is in the grey, at the very least. Should they be DQ'd? Yes, but they are not since i believe most of the methods that they use cannot be detected.

There's way too much money in sports to NOT be able to come up with methods that cannot be detected for the most part.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #32
molson
General Manager

I'd be fun if there were a performance-enhanced Olympics. The best athletes in the world, no restrictions on drugs. It's not really fun with the grey areas and restrictions. Even if you believed everyone was "clean", there's still all kinds of stuff they're allowed to take, it's kind of an arbitrary, always-moving line.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

You mean, like this?

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update: All Drug Olympics
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't think you can take the factorial of 9.58, or at least not so many times. Anyway, if you did, I'm sure his actual speed would end up looking a lot slower.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Is that the one from the 90s where the guy's arms fall off?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #36
Butter
Coordinator

yup
Old 08-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

With the premise that everyone cheats, beating all these guys does indeed make him faster than the rest of the fastest cheaters in the world. In the 'everyone cheats' context, the fact that he cheated makes his accomplishment of being the fastest no less impressive.

The news here is not that he is the fastest of the cheaters, but that he is SO much faster than everyone else before him. That feat would be less impressive without cheating.

It is pretty sad that I sit here only partially impressed by a truly breathtaking feat because I am assuming news will eventually break about some Jamaican institutionalized steroid program.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bolt ran a 20.61 in 2002 in the 200. Last year he ran a 19.3. I dunno if it's normal for sprinters to drop that much time off their previous marks, but 1.3 seconds over 200 meters over 6 years seems reasonable. Especially if you figure he would have been under a world class training regimen for the previous 6 years.

I tend to think he is clean. I suppose blood doping is a possibility, but I don't think he used any roids.

Last edited by stevew : 08-17-2009 at 01:50 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #39
sooner333
College Starter

How close do you think Powell is to just saying "fuck it" and starting the bobsled team?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #40
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bolt ran a 20.61 in 2002 in the 200. Last year he ran a 19.3. I dunno if it's normal for sprinters to drop that much time off their previous marks, but 1.3 seconds over 200 meters over 6 years seems reasonable. Especially if you figure he would have been under a world class training regimen for the previous 6 years.

I tend to think he is clean. I suppose blood doping is a possibility, but I don't think he used any roids.
It's not normal to drop that much time. Would be like a WR consistently running a 4.7 40 out of college and then years later starting to run 4.3 40's.

Roids turned Ben Johnson from a marginal sprinter to a Gold Medal winner. It turned Tim Montgomery from a guy who couldn't make the Olympic Team to a guy who broke the 100m World Record.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #41
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm getting close to the point where I don't even care if Bolt is using steroids. A roided 9.58 is still head-asplode impressive.

I remember reading an article a few years back (when the record was still in the 9.8 range) where some scientist calculated that fastest possible time that a human body could ever achieve was 9.60. And at the time it seemed like a safe prediction because the idea of anyone ever running 9.60 was just too unrealistic to comprehend.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #42
The Jackal
Coordinator

How much would roids or blood doping really help you in a 100 meter race, anyways?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #43
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's not normal to drop that much time. Would be like a WR consistently running a 4.7 40 out of college and then years later starting to run 4.3 40's.

In 2002 Bolt was 15 years old. You can't compare a 15 year old kid to a 20 something college graduate wide receiver at his physical peak.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How much would roids or blood doping really help you in a 100 meter race, anyways?
A ton. Body recovers much faster, easier to build muscle, much more endurance for training.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #45
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
A ton. Body recovers much faster, easier to build muscle, much more endurance for training.

In terms of the actual race though, it's going to have little to no effect. I understand the implications on the rest of the year, in any sport in terms of muscle building and injury recovery, but over the course of 100 meters, you can train and train but it all comes down to how you perform in that instance. It's not like a football season where you have a huge upper hand because you stay healthy for 16+ games whereas other people let the little nicks and bangs get to them. Or baseball where your power is jacked up because you've aided your body.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
In terms of the actual race though, it's going to have little to no effect. I understand the implications on the rest of the year, in any sport in terms of muscle building and injury recovery, but over the course of 100 meters, you can train and train but it all comes down to how you perform in that instance. It's not like a football season where you have a huge upper hand because you stay healthy for 16+ games whereas other people let the little nicks and bangs get to them. Or baseball where your power is jacked up because you've aided your body.
Depending on what he's taking, he'd have much more energy going into the race. Testosterone does wonders for your energy level and intensity. Other than that, being able to build a ton of muscle where he wants is probably the biggest benefit of all. I mean if your leg muscles are 5 pounds stronger than they normally would be, that helps performance.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #47
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Depending on what he's taking, he'd have much more energy going into the race. Testosterone does wonders for your energy level and intensity. Other than that, being able to build a ton of muscle where he wants is probably the biggest benefit of all. I mean if your leg muscles are 5 pounds stronger than they normally would be, that helps performance.

I suppose that makes sense. Still, I'm absolutely going with innocent until proven guilty with him. I don't feel the same about this past generation of baseball players, but with him I feel better about it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #48
The Jackal
Coordinator

Isn't olympic and general track and field testing some of the strictest that we have in all of sports/athletics?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #49
RainMaker
General Manager

Testing is a joke. The good drugs are undetectable. Scientists are about 5 years ahead of the testers. Best way to do it for all sports is to freeze samples and test them later on when technology has gotten better.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #50
The Jackal
Coordinator

That's a shame. I have read in multiple places that the testers are far behind, and that there are a lot of undetectable masking agents in play that keep getting more and more advanced. I suppose we'll just have to enjoy the moment and hope the memories aren't tainted in the future.