Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Where to Buy a New Computer?

Do yall have any recommendations for me on where to shop for a new computer-preferably online. I do not have the time nor ability to build my own. Thank you very much.

wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
The_herd
College Starter

Its all going to depend on several things. What its going to be used for? Price you are willing to pay? Which type of processor you prefer, if any? How upgradable do you want it to be? And how customizable do you want it to be?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Danny
Head Coach

Dell is usually pretty good, but I build my own
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #4
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Its all going to depend on several things. What its going to be used for? Price you are willing to pay? Which type of processor you prefer, if any? How upgradable do you want it to be? And how customizable do you want it to be?

I want a computer that will run most/all games, but not at the highest graphics level. BY this I mean, I want a functional, good but not awesome, computer. I am willing to pay a good amount for a computer that is like this, and that I will be able to use for a long time. Custimization is the reason I am trying to leave the Brand Name computer sellers, beacuse it is darn neaer impossible for me to find the right upgrade.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
The_herd
College Starter

I have a Dell now and its been pretty good for the 2 years that I've had it, but as was discussed on here about a month ago, I recently purchased a new video card and found out I couldn't run it because they went cheap on my power supply. I've also found that upgrading is near impossible, so I'm going to start building my own soon.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Call Dell, ask for Kevin.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I've bought two Dell desktops and have been very happy with their performance. My mother-in-law is still using the first one, which has got to be ten years old now. Never had a problem with either of them.

Like The Herd said, they are limited as to their upgradability, although I would think that is true of any of the major brands, no?

Good luck with your decision.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Alienware's prices are around the cost of Dell's computers. I had a Dell, and now an Alienware, and they're both good machines. The Dell I had to reformat every 6 mos. I've had the Alienware for 8 mos, and haven't had a problem....yet.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #9
VIKING FAN
n00b

Thumbs down

If you do happen to buy in-person at a store, don't buy from Circuit City. If you have problems and have to take it in, they send it to somewhere in Illinois for repair. Took 28 days to get mine back!
VIKING FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
amdaily
College Prospect

I custom configured one at www.americancomputech.com. Great price and no problems thus far.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:48 PM   #11
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Dude, get a Dell. I am totally thrilled with both my Dells. Previous HP & Compaq's were garbage...
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I have a Dell XPS and have been very happy in the 9 months I've had it now.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
Ramzavail
College Starter

Dell definitely - if you buy a computer at a store - you will get ripped off.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #14
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd get a Dell. I'm a bit of a PC nerd, so i'm not really a fan of pre-built pc's in general. But Dell consistantly scores tops in the business for support, they have decent prices, and sell some nice hardware.

Going the Alienware route you can get some crazy powerful systems if you want to drop the cash, but i haven't head flattering things about their support. I'm assuming support is important to you if you don't have the ability to build a system.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-01-2004 at 03:12 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #15
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Do yall have any recommendations for me on where to shop for a new computer-preferably online. I do not have the time nor ability to build my own. Thank you very much.

I would avoid Dell or any of the other "big names".

Look for a website that allows you to custom configure your PC. You will probably end up with a better system for less money than going for a brand name PC. You also stand a better chance of knowing exactly what is inside your PC.

Since I am not in the US, I don't really know of any good sites for this, but I am sure somebody will be along shortly to help.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #16
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

But once again, when it breaks good luck getting it fixed. Just don't buy Compaq/HP, they are expensive and their support sucks.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-01-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #17
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Isn't Dell going downhill in service quality?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I know its tempting to rag on the big names. But Dells strong point for the last decade has been their support. Conversley Compaq's major shortcoming was their support.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #19
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Dell's power supplies are under rated. I know that the ones they rate at 250W can put out around 345W.

http://www.ibuypower.com is another custom config place. Heard some good initial impressions.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #20
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well just to throw other options out there. http://www.ilevelup.com/

Don't know to much about it, pretty new company. But the guy who runs it is a good guy who i've seen post at large and small gaming sites asking for opinions.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #21
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Looks like they just sell cases there although I've heard good things about them.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:18 PM   #22
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ah yeah, You're right. Oh well.

The only place i buy from is http://www.newegg.com .
Old 02-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #23
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

The GF just bought a new dell with a pentium 4 and a flat screen monitor for $725.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Go to a local community college, there are always local techies that will custom build a computer for ya
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #25
Tasan
College Starter

If you go that route, I could custom build you one. PM me if you are interested. I do this all the time locally for friends and various people.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #26
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Anyone heard anything about Velocity Micro? I've been hacking away on this p2 for three years now, and it's time for an upgrade.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #27
RawIsDan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I have a Dell XPS and have been very happy in the 9 months I've had it now.

Same here. My past three computers have been Dell's.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:16 PM   #28
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawIsDan
Same here. My past three computers have been Dell's.

Think I'm on 4 or 5 now.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #29
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

I've got five Dells in my house, all of varying age. I think they give you a better bang for your buck than most.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #30
Taur
High School Varsity

So, the rumors of Dell moving their tech. support over to India are false?

I thought I heard that Dell was moving their entire Tech Support department over to India. Most computer experts were then expecting a major, major downgrade in service quality.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:36 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Buy a Power Mac.
For a shade under 10K you could get a smokin! machine.

• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• 8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8x1GB
• 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
• Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
• 56k V.92 internal modem
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $9,695.00

Seriously tho, Apples are pretty nice, though Ive never run the Windows emulator on mine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #32
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur

I thought I heard that Dell was moving their entire Tech Support department over to India. Most computer experts were then expecting a major, major downgrade in service quality.

I bought a Dell in Australia. I was very happy with the price and options but it experienced some early problems when going online. When I rang the tech support, I dealt only with technicians in India. All was fixed by them and it has been going well ever since - although there were some communication problems on both sides when getting things sorted ( please - no Aussie jokes ).

I would imagine then that there is some truth to your reports.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:32 AM   #33
gabeschw
n00b

I also recommend Dell, and if you want to save some money, I have been very happy with the refurbished system I bought from them. It was indistinguishable from new when I got it, and I believe they offer the same warranty and technical support on the refurbished systems as they do on the brand new ones. The only negative is that you have to choose from what is currently available, and can't customize it at all. Whenever I've looked, there has been a good selection, though.
gabeschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #34
condors
College Starter

i got an alienware pc and if i had to get another pc today i would look there first(and probally last)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #35
wig
Banned

I heard alienware is crap when it comes to service
wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I bought a Sony Vaio laptop from Best Buy. I obviously wasn't going to build my laptop, I didn't have a lot of money to spend and the day I went there, the machine I bought was marked down to just over $600 (after pesky rebates....but I sent them in).

So it really depends on how much you want to spend and what you're looking for in a machine. Store bought machines aren't the worst, especially if you're not doing a lot (and in my case, know how to configure it so the crap pre-loaded goes away).

But I worked in Systems for four years in the Air Force and in all the years we ordered machines, the Dells we had worked great, rarely gave us problems and if they did, their tech support was always very responsive.

Not trying to be a Dell fanboy, just sharing perspective. Good luck making your choice.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #37
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I've been very happy with my 3 Compaqs. I wouldn't know about crappy service because 2 of the 3 have never needed service, and the other one had a Best Buy service plan. I might be lucky.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:34 PM   #38
Easy Mac

I bought mine from www.cyberpowerpc.com

Its been a great PC, got everything I needed and things I dont without a huge price (like an LCD temp display, too many lights and fans, a memory card reader even though I have no media to read). It seems very similar if not the same as Ibuypower.com
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #39
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur

Yes, Dell has moved Tech Support to India.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #40
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm not so concerned about tech support, because either the computer is getting shipped back because it's broken or not what I ordered, or I'm keeping it. That's more of a sales department question. So Dell has a certain appeal, though I'm concerned because they spend so much on advertising and their prices are merely okay.

Alienware I heard builds extremely nice computers, but takes forever to ship them. I'd like my new computer before the Ides of March. I don't want to skimp on the motherboard, or on the number of ports/card slots available.

IBuyPower.com looks very tempting, as does cyberpowerpc.com (though Cyberpower does seem to have a rash of customer complaints recently). Do people have recommendations on motherboards?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #41
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I bought mine from www.cyberpowerpc.com

Its been a great PC, got everything I needed and things I dont without a huge price

Same here. From my experience, they are a little shoddy on the putting together of the machine (one CD Drive won't open on its own) but I'm very satisfied with the rest of it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #42
baystatebuckeye
n00b

Jim,

Have you considered building your own? You probably know a hundred times more than I do about computers and it only took me a couple of hours to put one together.

I bought all my components from newegg.com. They have the best prices I could find and I had everything delivered in three days!

As for the motherboard, I have an ASUS mb and an Intel 2.8 chip. It works great.
baystatebuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote