Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Front Office Football Multiplayer > FOF MP Commish Resources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Commish Pitfalls To Avoid

Others, please feel free to chime in. Thought this would be a good list for new commishes.
  • Do not import files more than once in the same stage, especially the franchise stage. The Franchise Tag will be applied twice, and the players who get franchised twice will refuse to re-sign.
  • Do not put the .fpn file in the zip that you send to the owners. It will cause their game plans to be reset on their machines.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

Do not sim games or midweeks on separate machines unless you have copied the FPN file that was used in the previous sim to your Leagues folder.

Location of FPN:

\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football 2007\leagues

The FPN file contains all of the latest depth chart and saved gameplan information for each team.

During the offseason stages it isn't necessary to maintain a current FPN file on separate machines.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

-*.fmk (ie commish file) is another thing that shouldn't be handed out to GM's.

-I'm not totally sure on this one, but do commishes need to check out the stadium proposal/league suspension e-mails after they enter the draft and before they start late free agency? If I'm remembering right they are deleted before users even get a chance to see them themselves.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
-I'm not totally sure on this one, but do commishes need to check out the stadium proposal/league suspension e-mails after they enter the draft and before they start late free agency? If I'm remembering right they are deleted before users even get a chance to see them themselves.
Yes. And that reminds me of another one.
  • If you're going to enter draft picks in before free agency is done, do not enter in the 7(32) pick.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Also, if you have a team in your league, you should not re-sim the current week's games more than 10 times. If you can't win 1 in 10, you should take the loss.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Also, if you have a team in your league, you should not re-sim the current week's games more than 10 times. If you can't win 1 in 10, you should take the loss.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
marcmoustache
H.S. Freshman Team

Thinking you can please everyone - you can't!

Saying that, I think most players are reasonable and realise that the commish does the work on their own time for nothing. I know the GMs in the league I commish are great at accepting what I can do and can't do and how I deal with any issues.
marcmoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

To back up your league (and always do this before each sim), copy the "leagues" directory. May seem obvious, but I didn't know this for the first few weeks commishing the Shiba League.

Last edited by headtrauma : 06-14-2008 at 03:45 PM.
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
OldSchool
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtrauma View Post
To back up your league (and always do this before each sim), copy the "leagues" directory. May seem obvious, but I didn't know this for the first few weeks commishing the Shiba League.

worst commish evar
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
PhinsFan
n00b

Originally Posted by sovereignstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Yes. And that reminds me of another one.
  • If you're going to enter draft picks in before free agency is done, do not enter in the 7(32) pick.

This is great stuff and a very helpful thread to have.

My question is about Ben's post quoted above. How do you input draft picks during the FA period? Maybe this is referring to late free agency? or is it referring to early free agencey?

How can I input draft picks during early free agency? Is this possible? I haven't seen where this could be done in-game

eNFL : Miami Dolphins GM Commish
CCFL: Seattle Seahawks GM
CMFL: Miani Dolphins GM
PhinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Firefly
High School Varsity

Just open the draft window and start making the picks. Nothing to it.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
PhinsFan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Just open the draft window and start making the picks. Nothing to it.

thanks, felt dumb on that one after I was told how by another league member...

eNFL : Miami Dolphins GM Commish
CCFL: Seattle Seahawks GM
CMFL: Miani Dolphins GM
PhinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Firefly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Others, please feel free to chime in. Thought this would be a good list for new commishes.
  • Do not import files more than once in the same stage, especially the franchise stage. The Franchise Tag will be applied twice, and the players who get franchised twice will refuse to re-sign.

I didn't know about this one. Did it during the regular season (found a late export) and the game applied the bonuses twice (only the bonuses, though). Luckily no one was hit too hard.

Btw, I don't think it's here: do not sim the Bowl game and End of Season at the same time. If you do not have separate files for each of those, participants won't be able to see the Bowl in Solevision.

Last edited by Firefly : 02-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

When is it best to process a trade on a game sim? I was going to do it after the game, but what if a guy gets hurt?
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I've always done it post-sim - the onus is on the GM to make sure the guy is not in the lineup then.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #16
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
Yoda
High School Varsity

I've always done it pre-sim. You make a trade before the game, you'd expect the player to be on your team. Especially when it comes to the trade deadline. Granted, in fof you just click through the warning and process the trade anyway.

Unless the owners have asked otherwise.
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I've always done it pre-sim. You make a trade before the game, you'd expect the player to be on your team. Especially when it comes to the trade deadline. Granted, in fof you just click through the warning and process the trade anyway.

Unless the owners have asked otherwise.

I'm always more concerned about the AI jacking with rosters when that happens, although I suppose it's a horse a piece. Either way you decide, the GMs would still need to be responsible for making sure the players involved are inactive and that their depth chart is set appropriately.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #19
w24olfpack
Mascot

I've always done post sim unless requested. THe GM's know they can request the player to be put in the lineup.
w24olfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

What would be causing this error when trying to import team files from the sever?

No import files in proper state and stage to import
Old 01-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #21
aston217
College Prospect

Have you imported stage files correctly before? What happens when you use an FTP client to login with the provided FTP credentials?

aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #22
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I haven't imported yet with this league. I can login to FTP no problem. I can also create an export myself as a GM for my team.

I also tried importing these files from the local directory (clicking No), but that didn't work either.

The files up on the server are those ".xxQ" files. Is that not right?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #23
aston217
College Prospect

This is an area I'm not 100% familiar with, but the .xxQ files are not the stage files (I dunno exactly what they are, but they're also necessary I think? So don't delete them). The stage files are .0xx files.

To check out what's in the local directory, open the folder
Code:
%appdata%\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football Seven\import

and click on the folder named for your league ID. If you have stage files downloaded, then I suppose all of them must be showing as "Wrong Stage"? Which is weird, and suggests a mismatch between the stage of the commish's save game and the stage the GMs are exoprting from.

If you don't have the stage files themselves, either locally or on the server, that's another issue...

Old 01-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #24
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

As far as I know, you do not need to keep the .xxQ files in there (at least I have removed them without any ill effects). Those are created when a team first connects to the site - more of a "your connection was successful" file.

But you are right in that if there are no .0xx files in the import folder on the server, then you truly do have nothing to download. Those are the only ones that are pulled down.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #25
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I had this all working until I tried moving a guy to another team. Here is what I did:

First, we're still in that initial league file stage. First ever file, before preseason Week 1.

I loaded the league as a commish
I added Seattle as human (his new team)
I unclicked his old team

I imported the files, and it worked perfectly--even the new Seattle file was accepted that we tried.

I did NOT save anything since I didn't want to do anything but test.

Now, when I go in and try to repeat those steps, none of the files can be accepted. I even went in and copy/replaced the older zipped commish files from here: \AppData\Roaming\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football Seven\export

Still doesn't work...what happened?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #26
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I wish there was a way for me (commish) to just update back to the commish files that the other GMs are downloading to create files from. It seems so obvious, but doesn't seem to be possible????
Old 01-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #27
aston217
College Prospect

I'm not sure I understand what's happening here...

When you import files, they're deleted off the server. If you want to import files again, you'll have to either
1. Upload the old imported files back onto the server, - OR -
2. Download any new stage files from the server to the local import folder, and click "No" after clicking "Import Stage Files" to use the local folder only.

You want to be extra careful, or you could end up losing everybody's imports.

If you didn't save anything, using the local imports folder should be sufficient.

Quote:
I wish there was a way for me (commish) to just update back to the commish files that the other GMs are downloading to create files from.

I'm not too sure what this means, but as long as there is a set of game files on the server, everybody can "import game files" to load the stage -- including you. You just need to open the game as your team, not as the commish. However, if you didn't advance your stage locally or even alter the sim, this should not be necessary.

My guess is that you didn't anticipate the game would delete the uploaded stage files after importing, but I'm not sure.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #28
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston217 View Post
My guess is that you didn't anticipate the game would delete the uploaded stage files after importing, but I'm not sure.

This is what it sounds like to me too. This has bit me one time and that was enough times for me to be really careful with that