Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2023, 12:20 PM   #151
Atocep
Coordinator

D4 is outstanding so far. I'm really liking the slower time to kill along with encouraging you to use all of your abilities rather than spam 1-2 like most aarpgs.

The story isn't brilliant or anything, but much better than D3. They also removed the corny shit and keep things dark and feeling like Diablo. There's also an absolutely massive amount of content. Too many dungeons to count, strongholds, an absurd number of quests, reasons to explore, ect. That's all before endgame, which I've read already has more content than D3. There's also 2 expansions already in the works.

Not a huge fan of blizzard, and this game isn't perfection or anything, but feels like Diablo and it's fun.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:31 PM   #152
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I haven't played Diablo since right after Diablo 2 came out. Y'all are tempting me, but I really just the hang of Wartales.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:42 PM   #153
GrantDawg

Speaking of which:
Old 06-07-2023, 08:28 PM   #154
Edward64
Head Coach

British Museum on YT is entertaining. They have interesting stuff on Curator's Corner.

I caught the episode on the "Royal Game of Ur". I can see some backgammon in it. Yes, there are some version on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I

Quote:
The Royal Game of Ur is a two-player strategy race board game of the tables family that was first played in ancient Mesopotamia during the early third millennium BC. The game was popular across the Middle East among people of all social strata and boards for playing it have been found at locations as far away from Mesopotamia as Crete and Sri Lanka. One board, held by the British Museum, is dated to c. 2600 – c. 2400 BC, making it one of the oldest game boards in the world.[2]

Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:53 AM   #155
Icy
Pro Starter

Also enjoying Diablo4 a lot, great to jump in, kill some monsters and disconnect until next day. The amount of content, world, gear, side missions etc is amazing.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, the XBox Showcase presentation today was interesting.

Starfield deep dive was also interesting.

But, with pretty much every single thing I saw in those two hours, I have serrrrious trust issues
Old 06-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #157
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Like "will they actually deliver it" trust issues? Or "will it actually be playable" issues? Or something else?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 02:40 PM   #158
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Like "will they actually deliver it" trust issues? Or "will it actually be playable" issues? Or something else?

I suspect Starfield specifically will drop in September as currently planned but whether it's playable (with Bethesda what does that even mean? "Bethesda normal bugs?" "Fallout 76 level bugs?") is a legitimate question.

The deep dive was useful, our sense of it here was basically "okay, they've pretty much included everything they've ever put in the ES series and everything the Fallout series into one game" ... and throw in the first real vehicular combat Bethesda has done to my recollection on top.

IF it delivered what it promised, it could be a good start to a new IP. But that's a LOT of moving parts to break ... and if any of them break then there's a decent chance it breaks many other elements at the same time.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-11-2023 at 02:41 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:41 PM   #159
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, the XBox Showcase presentation today was interesting.

Starfield deep dive was also interesting.

But, with pretty much every single thing I saw in those two hours, I have serrrrious trust issues

Starfield looks fantastic, but as you're alluding to, is whether the September release date is too ambitious.

Star Wars Outlaws look fun and Massive Entertainment has a solid track record.

It was great to see Fable, even though it was just a trailer, the trailer was entertaining.

I love Obsidian's games, but The Outer Worlds felt kind of shallow to me. Hopefully Avowed fills the role of the Elder Scrolls game that we aren't going to see for several years well enough.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #160
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Microsoft just announced that Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 will be released next year. This caused quite a meltdown on the various forums and discord servers from flight sim enthusiasts who currently have MSFS 2020 (and who have spent considerable money purchasing various add-ons). I've purchased quite a few payware airports and aircraft like the Fenix A320. When MSFS 2020 was released, Microsoft and Asobo said it would have a 10-year life span with full support. Microsoft just released a clarification to quell some of the unrest. With few exceptions, almost all of the addons for MSFS 2020 will be compatible with MSFS 2024.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #161
Edward64
Head Coach

Uh oh. I've got the CPU but don't have the GPU.

I'm betting it'll still run as low graphics on my AMD 6850u.

Quote:
According to the Starfield Steam page, the minimum hardware requirements of the game include a Ryzen 5 2600X or an Intel Core i7-6800K CPU, 16 GB of RAM, an RX 5700 or a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GPU, DirectX 12, and 128 GB of SSD storage. The recommended requirements list the same RAM and memory configuration but bump the CPU and GPU demands up to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X/Intel i5-10600K and RX 6800 XT/GeForce RTX 2080 graphics respectively.

Starfield is scheduled to release on September 6, 2023 and is now available for pre-order in two versions on PC: a standard version that costs US$69.99 and a DIGITAL PREMIUM EDITION for US$99.99.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:04 PM   #162
Drake
assmaster

Bethesda has been directly responsible for almost every PC upgrade/purchase I've made over the last 17 years (starting with Oblivion).

Looks like Starfield will keep that streak going.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:59 PM   #163
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

https://youtu.be/c7K2TA0bBpY

Hook this up to my veins right now

Not a single Jedi in sight, and this could be the best Star Wars game EVER.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #164
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone else a little surprised that Starfield is 30 FPS locked on XBox when PS5 exclusives have all had a 60 FPS option?
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:29 AM   #165
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

That looks really good.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 12:37 PM   #166
BYU 14
Coordinator

It does look really good, very much a Fallout in space vibe and that's a good thing
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:48 AM   #167
GrantDawg

Just watched the frv video on Starfield. That game foes look impressive. I'm just so bad at first person shooter style games, I really feel like unless there is a non-combat style of play for it then I'm probably out. Beyond that, the fact that BG3 comes out right at the same time means I can wait for it to patch up before I would even need to consider it.
I also watched the latest dev trailer for BG3. The game looks so crazy good. I'm ready for it to break my heart.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:54 AM   #168
Edward64
Head Coach

I have the same dilemma with BG3 and Starfield.

With BG3 early access and strong participation in the forums, I can't help but believe BG3 will be much more polished than Starfield. Bethesda will get there eventually but thinking I'll play BG3 first.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:03 PM   #169
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hell in Overwatch is real. Not ELO Hell, but actual torment Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8A6RlsKV0

One of my favorite Overwatch streamers breaks down a Rialto game that goes nearly an hour because both teams can't overtime defend to save their life. It goes.. a very long time. 15-13 score before the stream replayer breaks.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:14 PM   #170
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

That does look good. It's definitely on my radar.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #171
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Am I the only one seeing reports of Starfield getting a review of 0 complete with legitimate websites reporting about it on social media. Yea….I wonder who is paying for all that coverage. I mean, even if it’s an obvious joke or whatever you want to call it a quick click on the comments shows that the masses are not getting the joke.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #172
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Anyone else a little surprised that Starfield is 30 FPS locked on XBox when PS5 exclusives have all had a 60 FPS option?

Bethesda.

If you look at Fallout 3/4 and Skyrim, those are games where, perhaps literally, every object in the game is persistent and location-tracked. And that's a single map; the Capitol Wasteland, Boston/Greater Boston, or Skyrim.

It sounds like Starfield is going to much the same thing, but with lots and lots of *planets*. Unless those planets are gonna be the same size each as, like, Whiterun, that's just going to be exponentially more objects to keep track of.

Locking it to 30 FPS allows them to do that with the level of visual fidelity they're going for instead of something that's a stuttering mess.

And that's even before accounting for the fact that they have to make the game run on Series S as well.

I'm not surprised. I expect they would have had to lock it to 30 FPS on PS5 also. Ambition sometimes requires tradeoffs.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #173
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

EA splitting off EA Sports from the non sports division. Some part of me wonders if this is Microsoft’s pivot off the Activision deal by buying the non sports side of EA.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #174
Atocep
Coordinator

Final fantasy 16 releases tomorrow and looks really good. They're taking a more western approach to story telling with this one and it's obviously heavily influenced by Game of Thrones. It also has a new combat system. Demo is available on PS5 for those interested.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:34 PM   #175
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Final fantasy 16 releases tomorrow and looks really good. They're taking a more western approach to story telling with this one and it's obviously heavily influenced by Game of Thrones. It also has a new combat system. Demo is available on PS5 for those interested.

It really sucks that they bought exclusivity from even PC. Game looks amazing, but this exclusive crap is getting annoying both ways, but doubly so when the contract cuts out PC as well.
Old 06-22-2023, 02:35 PM   #176
Edward64
Head Coach

Aliens Dark Descent looks interesting. Over 1,100 Very Positive so far on Steam.

Quote:
Drop into the gripping journey of Aliens: Dark Descent, a squad-based, single-player action game in the iconic Alien franchise. Lead your soldiers in real-time to stop a new and terrifying kind of Xenomorph outbreak on Planet Lethe.
Old 06-22-2023, 02:51 PM   #177
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It really sucks that they bought exclusivity from even PC. Game looks amazing, but this exclusive crap is getting annoying both ways, but doubly so when the contract cuts out PC as well.

It's only a timed exclusive. I personally have plenty of games to get to in the meantime. Even then I'll wait until it is at least $30 or less.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #178
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Aliens Dark Descent looks interesting. Over 1,100 Very Positive so far on Steam.
That looks good. I'm not great at real time things, but that looks like something I might can play. Going on the wish list.
Edit: And only $39. That might not stay on the wish list very long.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-22-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #179
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’m at the point where I don’t understand why the need for consoles at this point in time even exists. Everything should be PC based including the consoles. Sony and Microsoft should have storefronts like Epic and Steam that work on their console of choice as well as PCs at large. The entire concept seems out of date especially when these companies are losing money by selling them.

But with that being said the point remains about cutting PC out of exclusive deals with third party publishers. It’s really crappy business for the consumers.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-23-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM   #180
GrantDawg

Quote:
I’m at the point where I don’t understand why the need for consoles at this point in time even exists. Everything should be PC based including the consoles. Sony and Microsoft should have storefronts like Epic and Steam that work on their console of choice as well as PCs at large. The entire concept seems out of date especially when these companies are losing money by selling them.

But with that being said the point remains about cutting PC out of exclusive deals with third party publishers. It’s really crappy business for the consumers.
Console games outsell PC games.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:07 PM   #181
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Of course. Both major console combined sales outsold PC by 27%. I’m not sure the point here. A console running on windows would be no different than a console running on whatever crappy OS they currently run on from a user perspective, but would open the entire ecosystems up to more exposure as the games could be purchased by many more users.

EDIT: Nintendo doesn’t report revenue so that console number is just Xbox and PlayStation combined.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-23-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

PC is still the niche ... because most people can't/won't spend thousands for a PC rig that's obsolete five minutes after its built.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:22 PM   #183
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
PC is still the niche ... because most people can't/won't spend thousands for a PC rig that's obsolete five minutes after its built.

I would argue that PC probably has more game sale revenue than either Xbox or PlayStation. If those two combined sold 51 billion in games but PC was at 38 billion in 2022 it would take a massive market share advantage for Sony to have sold more than PC.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-23-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #184
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I really don’t care though. My only point was that all the proprietary consoles I believe have served their purpose.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:40 PM   #185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really don’t care though. My only point was that all the proprietary consoles I believe have served their purpose.

And really mine is mostly that their purpose is still extremely valid for the majority of the gaming population. My console time is down but certainly not out entirely.

On the bright side, I likely only live through one more new-gen console era so if they get through that then whatever happens afterwards is somebody else's problem.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:44 PM   #186
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And really mine is mostly that their purpose is still extremely valid for the majority of the gaming population. My console time is down but certainly not out entirely.

On the bright side, I likely only live through one more new-gen console era so if they get through that then whatever happens afterwards is somebody else's problem.

I guess my question is how would your experience be different if Sony launched a console that ran on the same ecosystem as everything else but was limited to just having Sony’s store on it? I’m not saying consoles don’t serve a point, my kids play on them in my house. I’m just saying that them being proprietary systems is just creating more work for the developers and limiting their potential sales figures in the case of “exclusives.”
Old 06-23-2023, 03:06 PM   #187
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
That looks good. I'm not great at real time things, but that looks like something I might can play. Going on the wish list.
Edit: And only $39. That might not stay on the wish list very long.

Reading the Steam discussions, looks like its still pretty buggy but (most) everyone is pretty high on it. Devs are responding so a good sign.

Yeah, think I'm going to have to buy this soon.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess my question is how would your experience be different if Sony launched a console that ran on the same ecosystem as everything else but was limited to just having Sony’s store on it? I’m not saying consoles don’t serve a point, my kids play on them in my house. I’m just saying that them being proprietary systems is just creating more work for the developers and limiting their potential sales figures in the case of “exclusives.”

I already don't care for crossplatforming (with regard to play), I already don't care for the existing integration of XBox stuff and Windows stuff ... I can't imagine a whole lot I'd want less than an identical experience.

I prefer things to work to & enhance their strengths instead of attempting to be a unitool.

There are things that fare better on p.c., there are things that fare better on console ... this isn't a reality that I'm particularly bothered by.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #189
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I already don't care for crossplatforming (with regard to play), I already don't care for the existing integration of XBox stuff and Windows stuff ... I can't imagine a whole lot I'd want less than an identical experience.

I prefer things to work to & enhance their strengths instead of attempting to be a unitool.

There are things that fare better on p.c., there are things that fare better on console ... this isn't a reality that I'm particularly bothered by.

I 1000% respect your opinion, but I would counter with that there are ALREADY ways to, for example, have your PC boot directly to steam big picture (the controller only mode.) I would also add that windows already detects controllers better than consoles do.

Ever try to synch a new controller to your Xbox? It involves hitting buttons on both the console and the controller. The same is done on a PC just by turning on the controller and putting it in detect mode. The PC auto detects it and it’s available for use (assuming you have Bluetooth, which any gaming PC would.)

I just really can’t see what a console adds to the equation. I mean even 5-10 years ago I didn’t feel like this, but things have just come so far that consoles to me feel like a DVD player.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-23-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:38 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would also add that windows already detects controllers better than consoles do.

DEFINITELY contrary to my experience. I've never successfully connected a controller to my PC via any method. (my child has, to his pc but even he can't get mine to)

I think we really just come down to this: I have considerably more confidence in my console working consistently and as intended than I've had in any computer in years (that'd cover at least my last ... 4 computers, so 15 years if not 20). That's across 3 different OS and at least 3 pc brands.

I'm consistently surprised when something works properly related to a pc (other than the simplest plug n play peripherals), I'm surprised with a console only when something doesn't work right. (true since we got past the red ring of death fiasco)
Old 06-23-2023, 06:41 PM   #191
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

These are about to more points in your favor (overcomplication), but I would ask if you have windows 11 and Bluetooth because I just connected a controller less than a week ago this way. You get a pop up in the bottom right of your screen letting you know a controller has been detected.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-23-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:56 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
These are about to more points in your favor (overcomplication), but I would ask if you have windows 11 and Bluetooth because I just connected a controller less than a week ago this way. You get a pop up in the bottom right of your screen letting you know a controller has been detected.

Like 2/3rds of Windows customers (as of May 2023) I'm on Win 10, not Win 11.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As a minor sidebar, with no prep, I asked my child which device he had more confidence in working properly: console or computer

Zero hesitation in saying console. And that's someone who is probably past 50/50 on their pc gaming vs console gaming
Old 06-23-2023, 07:14 PM   #194
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I finished Outlast 2....then the world ended. It was messy.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:22 PM   #195
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As a minor sidebar, with no prep, I asked my child which device he had more confidence in working properly: console or computer

Zero hesitation in saying console. And that's someone who is probably past 50/50 on their pc gaming vs console gaming

Honestly that is a no brainer. Everything works on console. That is the entire point of a console. You could make a PlayStation or Xbox with windows as an OS that had similar guarantees is my point. You could easily have a little sticker that says “PlayStation certified” and so forth. I guess my other thing I would add is has your sim actually had something just not work on PC? I mean there are games with bugs that may not but that goes both ways as Cyberpunk didn’t work on consoles. In this instance we are talking certified peripherals.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:29 PM   #196
GrantDawg

I'm going to second the fact that I never can get a controller to work correctly (at least for long) on Bluetooth through Windows. I just straight connect it through USB.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-23-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:33 PM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly that is a no brainer. Everything works on console. That is the entire point of a console. You could make a PlayStation or Xbox with windows as an OS that had similar guarantees is my point. You could easily have a little sticker that says “PlayStation certified” and so forth. I guess my other thing I would add is has your sim actually had something just not work on PC? I mean there are games with bugs that may not but that goes both ways as Cyberpunk didn’t work on consoles. In this instance we are talking certified peripherals.

I don't have the confidence in the O/S "guarantees", simple as that I guess.
Old 06-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #198
Edward64
Head Coach

Playing some BG3 early access. Enjoying it so far, got through initial tutorial and now in the Ruins. I like that I'm learning some D&D mechanics (it's been a while) guided by the game.

FWIW, playing it fine on my laptop Radeon 680M. It seem to lag some on Windows "balance" mode but no issues with "performance" mode.

The graphics is predictably pretty sad on low quality but happy I'm able to play it half-way decently.
Old 06-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #199
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Playing some BG3 early access. Enjoying it so far, got through initial tutorial and now in the Ruins. I like that I'm learning some D&D mechanics (it's been a while) guided by the game.

FWIW, playing it fine on my laptop Radeon 680M. It seem to lag some on Windows "balance" mode but no issues with "performance" mode.

The graphics is predictably pretty sad on low quality but happy I'm able to play it half-way decently.
Because of our discussion here, I have been playing around with it again as well. I'm really having a hard time settling in on a PC class to play. Every time I feel like I have decided on one, I change my mind.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #200
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Because of our discussion here, I have been playing around with it again as well. I'm really having a hard time settling in on a PC class to play. Every time I feel like I have decided on one, I change my mind.

Same, I keep restarting, it's almost overwhelming LOL
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote