Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
KWhit
Coordinator

My next WW game

For my next game, I want to run an RPG. Basically, a competitive dungeon crawl.

This game would be different from Abe's game, but similar enough that if you loved his game, you'll hopefully love mine, and if you hated his game, you're probably going to hate mine.

Here's the basic premise.

Teams of three adventurers are dropped in identical dungeons. All starting rooms are the same, the layout is the same, etc. The goal is to race through the dungeon as quickly as possible. The team that gets out first (alive) wins.

Of course, speed isn't the only thing that you have to focus on. You will need to gain experience as you go to be able to defeat monsters that are on guard within. You will need to find/purchase magic items to increase your likelyhood of survival.

So basically, you will need to think strategically. Do you take the extra time to search a room thoroughly? Or do you plow through as quickly as possible to get further on in the dungeon faster than your opponents?

And the team aspect will be important too. You'll have to work together to succeed.

So this is not your typical WW game. It will require at least 9 people to play and I can go up to 15 (I don't think I want more than 5 teams), so I wanted to gauge interest before I go any further with the ruleset. It will likely take a 3-4 weeks to complete, so I am fine if someone else starts a new WW game once I get enough people committed to my game.

So who thinks they would want to sign up for this? Of course, nothing is binding until I put up my ruleset, I just wanted to make sure people weren't burnt out from the last long RPG game we had.

Thoughts?

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not sure if you only want people who want to play to post but I would not be interested in this. My in laws are coming to visit in 2 weeks so I can't get wrapped up in a game that long, plus I'm not sure I would want to anyway.

To be candid I think we have had our fill of games that last that long recently.

Not a knock on KWhit or anyone who wants to play, I'm sure it will be well run and enjoyable.

Just my 2 cent.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

o no! not another dungeon

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Will multiple people be dying ever day? thats kinda the point of WW

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm definitely in KWhit, look forward to it.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Will multiple people be dying ever day? thats kinda the point of WW

Heh. I think that there will be more dying than in Abe's game, but probably less than in a typical WW game.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
o no! not another dungeon

Why do you say that? All dungeon-ed out still?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I was dungeoned out simply by having to wait 4 weeks for a non WW game to end.

its your game, run what you want, but I think these huge never ending (or getting anywhere) games should be VERY rare.

Its one thing if you have a ton of people, and people die off..... but those who dont really wanna play in a dungeon suffer.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
hoopsguy
General Manager

KWhit, I would be interested in giving it a go. I missed the Dungeon game and I'm sure I would have had fun playing it.

If a game runs 3-4 weeks there are almost certainly going to be times where my participation is very low, however. So if there are multiple deadlines per day like the Dungeon game then I would just set the expectation going in that there are going to be times where I'm missing deadlines and days that I just can't play all-out like I can when I commit to a 4-8 day game.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
I was dungeoned out simply by having to wait 4 weeks for a non WW game to end.

its your game, run what you want, but I think these huge never ending (or getting anywhere) games should be VERY rare.

Its one thing if you have a ton of people, and people die off..... but those who dont really wanna play in a dungeon suffer.

Actually, I would love to have this be a pretty deadly game, but it's going to depend on the number of players who sign up. If I only get three teams in, I will ease the difficulty back a bit to try to keep total party kills to a minimum. I mean, I would like the race component to come into play - not just be a survive and you win type of game.

But if there are 5 or 6 teams signed up, I will unleash the full power of the monstrous hoards in the dungeon. It will be a brutal slog to survive. That is really what I would like to do, killing off a few people/teams to enable a separate game to get started while mine is ending.

So the more people who sign up, the more people will die, more than likely.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
KWhit, I would be interested in giving it a go. I missed the Dungeon game and I'm sure I would have had fun playing it.

If a game runs 3-4 weeks there are almost certainly going to be times where my participation is very low, however. So if there are multiple deadlines per day like the Dungeon game then I would just set the expectation going in that there are going to be times where I'm missing deadlines and days that I just can't play all-out like I can when I commit to a 4-8 day game.

That will be fine. The team aspect can help there, I think, since I will assume unless I receive an actual action from a player that you will go along with your team's decision.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Is it Werewolf? I ask because I thought Abe's game was neat, but it wasn't WW much more than the D&D PBEM that is currently going over in the Dynasty forum. I've run some complex games, but always tried to keep the connection to WW there. It's one reason why I haven't run Survivor again, though I would consider doing so in the OT or Dynasty forums.

While I think there is a fair deal of lathuming around this idea that there needs to be a simple game, we are a Werewolf forum, not a games forum. The game, simple or complex, needs to be identifiable as WW at some level. I think if we were able to support multiple games, then we could have this game going on while we had a more traditional WW game. However, our lulls have nearly always come shortly after trying to run multiple games. I think that just burns people out and so until we would become much larger I think we need to stick to 1 game at a time and that game needs to be based on the core WW concepts.

BK, YFWWM

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 06-02-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

uh-oh

Red mod font.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I am all for people running the games they want to run and letting the participants decide if they want to play or not but in this case I agree with BK.

I feel bad and it is nothing against KWhit at all and don't want to seem like I am being discouraging, I just think coming on the heels of both of Abe's games that were a grind that locked alot of people out of playing for a long time I think this concept should be shelved for a while.

Again, nothing against Kwhit who I like alot, I don't want it to seem like I am campaigning against him, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Again, nothing against Kwhit who I like alot, I don't want it to seem like I am campaigning against him, just my 2 cents.

We all know your campaign is for a complex simple game.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I feel bad and it is nothing against KWhit at all and don't want to seem like I am being discouraging, I just think coming on the heels of both of Abe's games that were a grind that locked alot of people out of playing for a long time I think this concept should be shelved for a while.
To be clear I don't think, if this isn't a WW game (something I am inferring but don't know) it should be shelved. I instead think KWhit should recruit here and in OT for players and play it in the Dynasty or OT forum, as several other games have been played over time. If that occurs KWhit would certainly still be welcome to host a WW game now or in the future.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 06-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

Eh.

Nevermind.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
USFLTecmo
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm not interested myself, but I wouldn't scrap it if I were you, KWhit. Sounds like a well thought-out game.
USFLTecmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
We all know your campaign is for a complex simple game.

that's not really it. I am fine with a complex game, I just don't want a game that is designed to take 4 weeks and by the nature of it keeps people from playing for a long period of time. Abe ran 2 games almost back to back that shut people out and I think it was kind of shitty.

I think that if you chooses to pass on a game or die early there should be a reasonable expectation that you will have to wait 10-14 days max to play again.

By all means KWhit should run his game and if it means I don't play WW for a month so be it.

He asked for thoughts so I gave mine.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm certainly interested.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
Danny
Head Coach

I am in as long as it is before the fall. Doesnt matter to me if it is ran here or in OT

Last edited by Danny : 06-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
Autumn
Head Coach

I would be interested, whether it's here or in a different forum.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would love to see a game like this, KWhit. I enjoyed Abe's, and I am guessing I would enjoy yours as well.

I wouldn't want it to stop WW games, though. I would like to see it running concurrently with WW games, which I think is doable if this game is similar in commitment level to Abe's game (which did require watching deadlines but did not require you to be on at all times to offer up arguments and counter arguments like WW).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Same as most of the others have said, I would be interested, I think it would probably be more fair to run it in the Dynasty or OT forum though.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think that you might end up getting a bigger audience in the Dynasty/OT forum, as people who shun WW might want to give it a shot. And, based on the success of Abe's game, I bet most/all of the WW folks would follow over there and play in it.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote